PDA

View Full Version : re-registering a bike

yammy
7th March 2003, 22:25
Hi all, i've a question about the process of getting a bike back on the road after 8 or so yrs.
bikes been in a shed at a rellies,was registered but i got married and moved a few hundred miles and didnt have room for 2 bikes so took TT500 to use for hooning but had to sell it a coupla yrs ago when finances took a tumble. but they might be looking up again and i medically need a fix of bikers bum and bugsplat.
anyhoo,will i be in the shit for not cancelling the rego or getting an exemption ? i'm not up for 8 yrs of rego am i if i draw attention to myself officialwise?
if not (appendages crossed) whats the process ? went to ltsa site and couldnt find naff all help there.
hope someone can help with info or advice
byeee
(yammy)

bikerboy
8th March 2003, 12:29
I'm not sure if the process is the same for bikes as cars but I had a car off the road for restoration (3 years). I got the exemption only to find out it had to be renewed each year to be valid.

Anyway when time to re-register the car had to under go a much more stringent version of a WOF, that's all, no past fees etc. The WOF is very particular and won't pass things that a "normal" WOF would let pass. Good luck,:cool:

What?
9th March 2003, 13:49
If you are talking about the 76 XS650, you will have to get it VIN'd (go to any VTNZ testing station), get a WoF then register it as a used vehicle. costs the same as a new vehicle, and you get new plates. No, you can not keep and use the old plates. The whole process should be done easily in a morning.:done:

wari
10th March 2003, 07:14
I've done this a couple of times recently with bikes that have lapsed registration that I've bought and put back on the road. Here's what I had to do

1. Provide proof of ownership or confirmation from the police ( if they'll co-operate ) to confirm that the bike isn't on the stolen list.

2. Book the bike in at a vehicle testing station and they'll do a WOF type check on it. I think this cost about $120 -$150 depending on which station you go to. Make sure you take along the proof of ownership.

3. If the bike passes the check they will re-register it for you and give you new plates. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to use the old ones coz the reg has lapsed on it.

... and thats it.

yammy
10th March 2003, 16:24
Thanks peeps ;-)
excellent info,just what i needed.
finally got the bike back in my hot little hands,in worse nick than
i remembered,tarp i had on it had beenhalf-inched by a grankid to use as a tent and not replaced so birdshit has eaten into paint and chrome :-(
got it apart most of the way,things to do list so far:
1.sandblast and powdercoat frame
2.do fork seals,swingarm bearings and tyres
3.either rechrome guards or paint them
4.reupholster and recover seat or change completely?
haven't looked at the motor yet,scared to as t'rellie nicked one of my K&N's for his lawnmower! but to give him credit,he did cover carb mouth so hopefully no smeggin budgies setup home in
Keihin city ;-)
all this is dependant on me getting the job i'm hoping for,so if anyone has friends in high places or could chuck an extra
burnt offering on whatever altar smokes your wheels,i'd be
hugely grateful ;-)))
So, to cut a long waffle shorter
thank,thank,thank you for the replies to my post and with a bit of luck i'll be able to post a piccy somewhere in a coupla mnths or so.
yours ..... Yammy
(insert witty,sexist,totally un-PC sig here)

wari
10th March 2003, 16:56
This site might be userful mate ... http://650motorcycles.com/

yammy
11th March 2003, 12:02
Thanks for the 650.com link,i used to be on their mailing list a coupla yrs ago cos they also dealt with Thumpers but left when it got a bit wanky cos of sept 11, went back last nite and found a place in oz that has swingarm bushes and with our dollar the way it is wahooo ;-)
things are looking up thanks to you guys!
thanks again yammy