PDA

View Full Version : God this pisses me

Rocket
6th April 2004, 12:39
When i see people selling 1988 -89 -90 year old bikes for 4 grand+ is just a joke, specially for the japas. I mean, do they WANT to sell the bike? or are they just dangling it on the market waiting for some retard to rock around in a IHC taxi van and give them cash. its like man they are 14 years old!!! Then i hear the owners saying, "Awww but they still look so pretty!"

my gripe for today, thx for listening! :>

Ghost Lemur
6th April 2004, 13:17
I know exactly what you mean. I'm saving for a bike and so watching prices closely, and can't believe the amount some people are asking. Particularly for zxr250's it seems.

So at this stage I might end up going through to my full without a bike, just saving. Then I can by-pass these overpriced 250's all together. On the otherhand larger bikes seem to be a lot better/more sensibily priced.

Drunken Monkey
6th April 2004, 13:26
When i see people selling 1988 -89 -90 year old bikes for 4 grand+ is just a joke, specially for the japas. I mean, do they WANT to sell the bike? or are they just dangling it on the market waiting for some retard to rock around in a IHC taxi van and give them cash. its like man they are 14 years old!!! Then i hear the owners saying, "Awww but they still look so pretty!"

LOL - big call from the pushbike boy...Don't even get me started...

:moon:

Motoracer
6th April 2004, 13:34
Back in the days (1999-2000), FZR/GSXR 250s used to be a common buy at about 1000 for a OK one to say a max of 2500 for a complete minter! Now that has almost exactly doubled for some reason. Not that I am concerned with the 250s market right now (hehe).

duckman
6th April 2004, 13:47
Ha - Check out the "for sale" section and you'll see a beautiful TU250 1997 for only $3,000 :whistle:

phil_elvey
6th April 2004, 14:02

its just market forces - if there is sufficient demand for a product, the price will go up. If there is no demand, the price will come down

Ms Piggy
6th April 2004, 14:23
Now I'm realising more & more what a bargain I got with my little beast! (sorry guys) :whistle:

$1000- for a CB250RS, 1983 including a helmet, bag rack, chain oil, a few basic tools & the owners manual.

SPman
6th April 2004, 14:33
Back in the days (1999-2000), FZR/GSXR 250s used to be a common buy at about 1000 for a OK one to say a max of 2500 for a complete minter! Now that has almost exactly doubled for some reason.
In 98, the ave. price was 3500 - 4000 from a shop. The bikes havent been made for some time and are now increasingly harder to source, ex Japan, hence, the prices go up. Ask Mike from Mt Eden, he'll be happy to tell you. If "fresh" ones are more expensive, with the demands for 250's, so second hand ones go for a bit more. There are still bargains out there, you just gotta look harder.

wkid_one
6th April 2004, 14:35
The price of a false demand caused by the law you have to ride 250's first. No good really as you can often pick up cheaper 400's etc yet you aren't allowed to ride them.

My 250 Bandit was $4500 when I bought it. It was a 95 and I bought it in 2000 tho - so was only 5 years old - but still, my 2000 VTR only cost $10,000 when I bought it in 2001...go figure....

Devil
6th April 2004, 14:40
Rocket: Remember, although the price is up now, it'll still be up when it comes time to sell it and move onto a bigger bike. No huge depreciation happening here (unless you munt it!), so dont worry about it.

riffer
6th April 2004, 14:46
The price of a false demand caused by the law...
Well yes, and no. You could only ride 250s when I got my learners in 1984 and they weren't overpriced then.

Of course, there was no such thing as grey import bikes and cars then though.

I'd say it has a lot to do with there just not being a lot of bikes around now as much as it is the 250 learners thing.

Jackrat
6th April 2004, 14:53
Oh no I paid to much for my twenty year old bike.Hmmm,but she does look pretty.But then I wasn't the only person after it and if I sell it I will get more than I payed.I don't feel ripped off.You don't HAVE to pay the price but most sellers know most buyers can't wait so the prices are really set by the buyers.
Hang out and a deal will come your way.

bungbung
6th April 2004, 15:13
mmm tidy '90 ZXR250 cost me $1500 in 2002, sold in 5min for $2000 in 2003.

Plenty of inquiries too. Its definitely a demand thing. Motorcycle city in Lower Hutt demand far too much for some of their 250's. $4995 for a fifteen year old example (ZXR)...

easy finance $25p/week you know the rest.

Big Dog
6th April 2004, 15:15
Well yes, and no. You could only ride 250s when I got my learners in 1984 and they weren't overpriced then.

Of course, there was no such thing as grey import bikes and cars then though.

I'd say it has a lot to do with there just not being a lot of bikes around now as much as it is the 250 learners thing.

According to the yard manager at my my old job, who I tried to get to import a bike for me, the problem is other parts of the world also have the 250 rule, but have stricter emmisions laws. this means they are willing to pay more for compliant bikes. Anything less than 5 years old and less than 500cc is bloody hard to buy second hand for import to New Zealand. At the prices Aussies are prepared to pay for a 500cc or smaller fuel injected less than five years old, it would be a hell of a risk for a dealer for a very small return if they want to be competitive.

Add to that a reduction in 250 production and you have a sellers market.

I got lucky on my first three.
Bought 1992?: Honda cb100 196? $500.
Sold 1993: Learning my basic skills later $500

Bought 1993: Yamaha xs250 1984 $1500.
Sold 1994: 2 accidents and 60,000 kms later $1500
Saw similar in T/E for $3999 2004

Bought 1994: Kawasaki gpx250s (in line four) 1989 $4500.
Sold 1997: 1 accidents and 100,000 kms later $4500
Saw similar in T/E for $5999 2004. Or you can buy a brand new 2 cylinder version for $6999.

Unless the access rules are changed, or emmissions standards are toughened, 250's will continue to appreciate.

:spudbooge

So no I don't feel sorry for you, says he who paid $6500 for a 89 1100 which has a private retail value of about $4000.

Biking is not about reason, it is a passion. How much is too much?

Big Dog
6th April 2004, 15:20
So at this stage I might end up going through to my full without a bike, just saving. Then I can by-pass these overpriced 250's all together. On the otherhand larger bikes seem to be a lot better/more sensibily priced.
You won't be the first.
Long term all this approach means is you won't learn on a light bike.
The money you saved on not having finance during that time will be quickly devoured by depreciation. Either way you are :buggerd:

Zed
6th April 2004, 15:20

Mate, you obviously havn't been following the prices of bikes for long- this has been the case for years. Personally I think some of these bikes are worth the prices asked for them...look at the horrendous prices of bicycles these days!!! :gob:

Dude, if this issue makes your blood boil you better give up on the prospect of ever buying a house!

Ps. Using "God" in your title alongside "pisses" is just bad language kid. :no:

Zed

Big Dog
6th April 2004, 15:25
Either way you are :buggerd:
Lol who would you rather had your money the finance man or no-one :lol:

Rocket
6th April 2004, 15:46
zed stick to the topic please.

And nice advise jack i'll just chill and wait for a bargain. checking out this 91 CBR250RR on the weekend hopefuly, see what becomes of it.

Zed
6th April 2004, 16:52
zed stick to the topic please.

And nice advise jack i'll just chill and wait for a bargain. checking out this 91 CBR250RR on the weekend hopefuly, see what becomes of it.
Oh since you said please- ok.

But I did make some contribution to the topic kid!

Zed :innocent:

Nouseforaname
6th April 2004, 17:09
Hey im not complaining, i just sold my 92' zxr to a guy in ChCh totally sight unseen for $4500!

Motu
6th April 2004, 17:19
Look out of the square - if you want what is trendy,well,you'll just have to pay for it.

wkid_one
6th April 2004, 17:41
Rocket: Remember, although the price is up now, it'll still be up when it comes time to sell it and move onto a bigger bike. No huge depreciation happening here (unless you munt it!), so dont worry about it.
Yup......unless the exchange rate kills bike prices.....given most of our 250's are imported....

Ghost Lemur
6th April 2004, 18:10
There's one thing I still don't understand, if the demand is so high for these 250's, why aren't the manufacturers (excluding Suzuki) cashing in on it and pumping these machines out? As things stand the manufacturers see nothing because they're all secondhand.

White trash
6th April 2004, 18:13
Honda and Kawasaki both have NZ new 250s available. Price is horrible but it is an alternative.

I will always buy Suzukis because of their back up on parts and service. But each to their own.

Posh Tourer :P
6th April 2004, 20:45
Look out of the square - if you want what is trendy,well,you'll just have to pay for it.

Good call... however its hard to find a good non-sports bike at all, let alone a cheap deal..... still these things come along... picked up a CB250RS for a friend for $150, with a broken cam chain guide (as it turned out). Total cost will be nearly $700 to get it on the road excluding the years rego that has to be paid

Posh Tourer :P
6th April 2004, 20:49
I know exactly what you mean. I'm saving for a bike and so watching prices closely, and can't believe the amount some people are asking. Particularly for zxr250's it seems.

SO you negotiate with them... you have what they want, money. You dont need *their* bike, therefore you are at an advantage. My first bike I bought for $650 (could have been less but I thought $650 was a cheeky enough offer for an advertised $900 bike - accepted without hesitation). Find the right seller and bargain as hard as you can. Advertised prices are often inflated or hopeful.

RiderInBlack
6th April 2004, 21:11
Don't know where you get the idea that bigger bikes are more reasonably priced. I was f*cken luckly to pick-up up the 1990 CBR1000F for $4200, the shops were try to sell me the same for $6500-7000+.

At least the new Suzuki 250 prices are good. Least than $6500 for the GSX250 (not bad bike ether). Try buying a new big bike for that!

Wonko
6th April 2004, 21:20
Wait, look around, start to look around and know what's what. I waited till after my learning period as I always wanted a 600-750 cc and a 250 that would have suited was the same if not more.

Keep an eye on trade-me, most of the bikes are overpriced, hence the lack of bids on most auctions, but once in a while a gem comes along. My GPZ 600 was advitiset at 9.30, I tried from 10 until 2 before I talked to the owner, saw it at 5 and owned it by 6.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 15:58
Advertised prices are often inflated or hopeful.
when I sell any vehicle I advertise so that a 20 percent discount is what I need to get eg if I need $800 advertise for $1000. Occasionaly you get lucky and they don't want to negotiate and pay full price. Most dealerships do the same.

When negotiating be prepared to walk... literally. If you get up and start to leave and they can do the deal you want they will stop you. If not they will make a counter offer. Ps if you want a position of strength make sure both of you are seated when you start to negotiate.

KATWYN
7th April 2004, 17:24
I was quite happy to pay $3000.00 for my 1990 (or 91 cant remember) CBR250R

Learnt to ride got my licence etc 18 months to 2 years later
I sold it for ....$3000.00 :2thumbsup