PDA

View Full Version : Another tall biker question.

Disco Stu
25th February 2006, 12:38
I saw a thread in here recently about a suitable bike for a tall rider, and I'm in a similar predicament (6'3" I be). Will shortly be selling the Alfa (so if anyone knows someone in Melbourne who want's a 2000 Alfa 156, lemme know :) ) and buying a cheaper car and a bike. The difference with me is being a learner I'm restricted to 250cc, and being the fool I am, am wanting something fully faired. (I like to learn the hard way :p )

Thus far have the Kawasaki ZXR250 which didn't feel too bad, and by all accounts the Hyosung GT250R is a physically large bike.

Any other recommendations or thoughts on the above?

Thanks in advance. :)

John Banks
25th February 2006, 13:08
The Xelvis (Honda VT250FN) seems designed for the tall, skinny riders (I'm a similar size to you). May be a bit hard to find, though.

sels1
25th February 2006, 13:24
Triumph, BMW and some of the other European makes are often more comfortable for the taller rider, but I dont know if there is much option in the 250 range. Best just to go round a few bike shops and sit on different bikes and see what fits. Street legal trail bikes are another option, as they have longer suspension and higher seat height - and if you can get a bit of off roading in it improves your skills

Gremlin
25th February 2006, 14:06
I'm 6'3 as well, and I did my time on a Kawasaki ZZR250. Not a bad bike, but probably not brilliant either. Depends on your weight I would reckon. I'm 100kg, and was probably too heavy for it.

If you can ride a ZXR250, then thats pretty good. I have sat on and ridden a mates ZXR250, and damn, that is one tiny bike.

If you want a fully faired large 250 road bike, the zzr and hyosung gtr250 seem to be the main names to pop up. As you say tho, being a fool, you want full fairings. I was the same as you, but comprised by buying a damaged bike. A couple of offs didn't really add much to the speed striped fairings :shifty:

Others can testify, fairings cost a lot, and there are no shortcuts or wrecker parts. They are usually the first parts to get destroyed in an accident.

John Banks
25th February 2006, 15:13
How about crash bungs?

Bonez
25th February 2006, 16:18
I think the HD 883 and Hyosung 650 come in "restricted" versions over in Aus, well in NSW anyway, more info here- http://www.mynrma.com.au/motorcycles_first-time.asp

Disco Stu
25th February 2006, 16:40
^^ Yeah, unfortunately I'm in Victoria, so don't have those extra options. :(

Big Dave
25th February 2006, 16:47
Look at chook chasers too. they naturally suit taller folks.

A gas gas pampera would be fun to have in the shed.

erik
28th February 2006, 08:30
I'm 6'4", 100kg.

I've ridden a zzr250, zxr250, cbr250rr, they all seemed ok to me. I've owned a fzx250 for 2 years which was also fine.
Although I do get the occasional comment that I look funny hanging off it in the corners. :)

I'd guess you'd be ok on any of those bikes, you probably just have to get used to them.

If you want a faired sports bike, I'd say go with the zxr250. I think the engine in the cbr is supposed to be a bit better (gear driven cams) but the zxr has the usd forks and feels like a racier riding position...
Just depends what you want.
I like naked bikes, myself.