PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me

sabbath
25th February 2006, 19:24
where you take a frame to be teasted if it's straght.in palmy north.me and a mate are rebuilding a trumpy..looking at putting a jap twin disk front end on it...any sugesting on whats compatable for the job.single disk for rear.also anybody know wheres a good place to deal with for original trumpy parts?:rockon:

vs04
25th February 2006, 19:37
where you take a frame to be teasted if it's straght.in palmy north.me and a mate are rebuilding a trumpy..looking at putting a jap twin disk front end on it...any sugesting on whats compatable for the job.single disk for rear.also anybody know wheres a good place to deal with for original trumpy parts?:rockon:
Hey sabbath.Don,t know about the frame situation, but for triumph parts you could contact the triumph owners club in manawatu.

sabbath
25th February 2006, 19:58
cool cheers mate,good thinking.

The Stranger
25th February 2006, 20:18
F1 Engineering in Hamilton advertise frame straightening.
And his work in general is bloody good.

sabbath
25th February 2006, 20:20
cool cheers mate

hunt
25th February 2006, 21:18
i just built a triumph, started with just a frame, got most of the parts off trade me,the rest from british spares, if your looking at being road legal check that the frames no,s legit, helps if its been registered before with the motor registry, i have heard of bikes being built and not being able to be registered at all due to no "paper trail" or something like that.

hunt
25th February 2006, 21:24
oh yea there's a bike wrecker in waihi who was advertising a complete jap disc front end that came off a triumph frame, user name of grumpy on trade me

Sensei
25th February 2006, 21:27
Mate that Restores old Bsa Triumphs AJS Harleys Etc for a living put a GB400 front & rear end in a T140 . Was Mint best handling Bonney bar none Plus he rebulit the motor to so went like the wind

Paul in NZ
25th February 2006, 21:51
Go buy "motorcycle trader" for a list of the usual suspects....

Read the latest classic bike, you can do a basic check yourself. You don't need jap brakes, the triumph stuff can be sorted for much less! I mean, how fast you thinking it will go?? the drum on my 70 TR6C can lock the front wheel!

hunt
25th February 2006, 22:00
Go buy "motorcycle trader" for a list of the usual suspects....

Read the latest classic bike, you can do a basic check yourself. You don't need jap brakes, the triumph stuff can be sorted for much less! I mean, how fast you thinking it will go?? the drum on my 70 TR6C can lock the front wheel!

40 odd horsepower = 100mph tapped out, as long as carb and ignition timing
set right, i agree nothing rong with trumpy drum brakes with new linings and drum machining sept maybe a bit of brake fade down hills, wouldnt disc brakes be better?

Ixion
25th February 2006, 22:05
The 8 inch 2LS was pretty good. Fade (especially if you have the ventilated plate) is a matter of linings. Disc won't be much better, if any , but easier to keep up to scratch.

EDIT: T110 should be good for just on, uh 110mph. With the rider inside the fuel tank. Might take a longish striaght to get the last 10mph though.

Motu
25th February 2006, 22:36
The advantage a British frame has over a Jap frame is that they are symetrical,both sides mirror the other - so you can sight it,drop points onto the floor and measure,put a rod in the steering head etc....pretty easy to pick out a bent frame by eye.

A 2LS will lock the front tyre for sure,it's just fade that kills them....but how often do you ride hard enough to get fade? A very rare event for me at least.Good forks would be nice though....Getting a Triumph up to 110mph or more is fairly easy,but you need to wring it out in 3rd to get there....trying to use top will take all day as they were well overgeared.

sabbath
26th February 2006, 05:07
thanks everybody for there input..awesome well take it all onbored.

Badcat
26th February 2006, 06:25

yep - steve tested and straightened a tt500 for me last year, and i've just picked up my sr500 street tracker on friday
he has a laser jig and his work is excellent.
couldn't ask for better.
k

kevie
10th April 2006, 10:51
Try two wheels engineering 87A Lombard St Palmerston North 0-6-357 2972
Got the swingarm done by them when I restored my Virago, and they put me on to Ringgear restorations for rebuilding my flywheel when the supposed top Auckland restorer wouldnt touch it.