PDA

View Full Version : Heres a little test.

White trash
7th April 2004, 08:08
Who can identify the following Itialian motorcycle?

No score for pointing out it's a Bimota but any other info like what model, specs, power plant, year of manufacture and claim to fame.

Incidently, it cost 22,000pound brand new! Its now for sale at Wellington Motorcycles and is god damn sexy! :love:

Wenier
7th April 2004, 08:15
is it 1000cc and a 98 model

White trash
7th April 2004, 08:16
Close, but no cigar. It is 1000cc.

Wenier
7th April 2004, 08:39
well at least i no the cc rating im sure i saw it for sale in sawyers a while back. isnt it mostly canborn fibre or something

750Y
7th April 2004, 09:12
is it a Bimota Furano from around the 1994 mark?
i thought they had a gsxr1100 engine.
the details are a bit sketchy now but i have an article on it in my superbike book at home.

White trash
7th April 2004, 09:16
You're thinking of the SB6. Getting closer though.

James Deuce
7th April 2004, 09:22
Is it a YB8?

Cajun
7th April 2004, 09:23
its one of these models

YB11 - 1996-1999
YB8/YB10 - 1992-1995

I am think its the YB8 which uses the yamaha motor but that does not match up with the fuel injection sticker, thats it its 1000cc

White trash
7th April 2004, 09:41
Good skills! It is a YB8 but the Furano was the ltd edition with a tuned, fuel injected Thunderace motor. It comes with full carbon fiber boddy work and top level Ohlins suspension. 3 piece light weight wheels also differ from standard YB8. They built 152 of these and when released in 1995 it was the fastest production bike money could buy.

The craftmanship in this bike is stunning and I'd invite anyone to go in and have a good look just for the interesting little bits it has. For example, carbon fibre shift rod linkage?!

Johann rode the bike after grooming it on Monday and reckons it's not a hell of a lot slower than a new GSXR1000. I want it!

Yours for a mere $20999. Bloody bargain! :cool: To my knowlege it's the only Furano in NZ and a good number of these were destroyed as race bikes around the world.

Did I say I wanted it? I do.

k14
7th April 2004, 10:00
Damn, that is nice. How much were they brand new? How many km's has it done?? I thought it would be really rare and hence a collectors item, so $20999 doesn't seem too high.

750Y
7th April 2004, 10:01
yeah, that's right, the SB6 is the curvy one with the 1100 (I saw one in town a couple years back) mmm. didn't bimota go under or something? if that's the case, that bike's a real collectable.

SPman
7th April 2004, 10:09
yeah, that's right, the SB6 is the curvy one with the 1100 (I saw one in town a couple years back) mmm. didn't bimota go under or something? if that's the case, that bike's a real collectable. Bimota are back in business, and are doing a batch of SB? TL1000 powered things...Gobert Replicas - from their last foray into WSBK.
Henceforth all new Bimotas will be Ducati powered.
They've also shown a tasty little street fighter that looks quite nice!

MMMmm- I want that YB...wheres my lotto numbers again!

James Deuce
7th April 2004, 10:17
You can tell the 1990s YBs and SBs apart really easily because in sillouette the swingarm for the YB range appears to extend from under the main frame rails, and the SBs are the reverse.

White trash
7th April 2004, 10:24
Damn, that is nice. How much were they brand new? How many km's has it done?? I thought it would be really rare and hence a collectors item, so $20999 doesn't seem too high.

they never brought them to NZ new. It was 22000 pound in the UK.

travelled 23000km and in pretty good nick for a 9 year old bike. If I could afford a change I'd trade the Gixxer just because of what it is.

matthewt
7th April 2004, 10:37
There's usually a sb6 on bikepoint.co.nz for sale.

Istill remember seeing the first sb6 and thinking , "under seat exhaust, f**ken cool, now only if it had a single sided swingarm like the rc30". A couple of months later the 916 came out.

matthewt
7th April 2004, 10:49
Would still have to be a fully sorted v-duo. Some people got the remaining v-duo's from the deceased Bimotoa (although they are now back in business) and were selling a couple different versions of the bike. I think the choices were :

1) Stock (still in crate)
2) Stock with EFI removed and carbs put in
3) Same as 2) but with hotted up motor

Although if you really wanted a 500gp bike (and had pretty deep pockets) Cagiva were going to build 25 replica bikes of the GP bike they built in the 90's. Apparently it's the only non-jap bike to ever win a 500gp race.

jimbo600
7th April 2004, 11:06
Who can identify the following Itialian motorcycle?

No score for pointing out it's a Bimota but any other info like what model, specs, power plant, year of manufacture and claim to fame.

Incidently, it cost 22,000pound brand new! Its now for sale at Wellington Motorcycles and is god damn sexy! :love:

It's a Bimota YB8 with a tricked up YZF750 donk in it.

What do I win, what do I win?

jimbo600
7th April 2004, 11:09
Obviously if I read the thread in it's entirity I would realise that some clever dude got this before me thus qualifying myself for twat of the day award.

White trash
7th April 2004, 11:13
And you didn't even get it right, you spoon!

riffer
7th April 2004, 11:52
Even still, why so expensive new? Hand-made? or was it the carbon fibre?

Motu
7th April 2004, 12:11
What was the Bimota with the centre hub steering,Tesa or something? One of those pulled in for gas a few years ago...not often you see something only in glossy coffee table books at the pumps.

White trash
7th April 2004, 12:16
Even still, why so expensive new? Hand-made? or was it the carbon fibre?

Same reason Ferraris are so expensive. Europeans and yanks seem to not mind paying through the nose for exclusivity.

merv
7th April 2004, 12:25
Would still have to be a fully sorted v-duo.

Although if you really wanted a 500gp bike (and had pretty deep pockets) Cagiva were going to build 25 replica bikes of the GP bike they built in the 90's. Apparently it's the only non-jap bike to ever win a 500gp race.

Didn't they call it V-due not V-duo?

As for 500gp wins you mean only recently since Ago won the 76 German GP on the MV so not "the only non-jap to ever win". Before that of course there were bikes besides MVs such as Gileras, Nortons etc etc not made in Japan.

White trash
7th April 2004, 12:26
Didn't they call it V-due not V-duo?

As for 500gp wins you mean only recently since Ago won the 76 German GP on the MV so not "the only non-jap to ever win". Before that of course there were bikes besides MVs such as Gileras, Nortons etc etc not made in Japan.

Don't forget the irrepressible Moto Guzzi!

Imagine a new V11 sport out there today. Yahoo!

750Y
7th April 2004, 12:56
What was the Bimota with the centre hub steering,Tesa or something? One of those pulled in for gas a few years ago...not often you see something only in glossy coffee table books at the pumps.

Yeah that's the 'tesa ID' "EDITED: oops, make that 'TESI'" which was designed by some student doing their thesis. that bike is really interesting. the italian officionados here could probably translate it.

White trash
7th April 2004, 13:01
I thought it was "Tesi"?

pete376403
7th April 2004, 13:15
Correct, it means "thesis" . The hub centre concept was the subject of the designers university thesis.

merv
7th April 2004, 13:19
Don't forget the irrepressible Moto Guzzi!

Imagine a new V11 sport out there today. Yahoo!

Yeah I included them in etc because I'm not old enough to remember their actual 500gp wins without looking them up. Like you stuck at the office while the weather is crap.

As for V11 it would be cool if that was V11 as opposed to V8 they did in '57 as it might compete with a Honda V5 - but what would be its weight limit or is there a maximum number of cylinders for MotoGp these days?

As for the real V11 in gp, two cylinders don't cut it huh!

Eddieb
7th April 2004, 14:51
Cagiva were going to build 25 replica bikes of the GP bike they built in the 90's. Apparently it's the only non-jap bike to ever win a 500gp race.

A real one of these sold at The Alexander Palace bike show in London in 2002 for 25,000 pounds sterling. It was on a trade stand and apparently the guy bought it to use as a track bike.