PDA

View Full Version : Scooter down on Symonds St Akl City

Postie
27th February 2006, 07:57
Just got to work this morning to be greeted by 3 cop cars, an Ambulance and one lady scooter rider laying on the tarmac. Car failed to give way and hit the scooter ( I guess he didn't see her ).
Anyway point being, the scooter rider was wearing jeans, t-shirt, shoes and an open face helmet, she did not seem to be conscious when she was taken away in the ambo and appears she has done a bit of damage to her face.
I wish scooter riders would realise that they are at the same amount of risk as motorcycle riders and gear up properly. I know they are a few bikers who don't wear gear but it seems to be worse with scooter riders.
open face helmets are shit and i know there are mixed views on KB about this, but why are people so careless with their own safety when riding???

Speedy recovery to the rider.

tracyprier
27th February 2006, 08:06
I suppose it comes down to the truism that you can tell some people...you just can't tell 'em very much.

Personally I've gone from surprise to ambivilance about this... at the end of the day if people are ok with making the plastic surgeon their new best friend then hey, it's their ass, face, legs etc.

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 08:08
Just got to work this morning to be greeted by 3 cop cars, an Ambulance and one lady scooter rider laying on the tarmac. Car failed to give way and hit the scooter ( I guess he didn't see her ).
Anyway point being, the scooter rider was wearing jeans, t-shirt, shoes and an open face helmet, she did not seem to be conscious when she was taken away in the ambo and appears she has done a bit of damage to her face.
I wish scooter riders would realise that they are at the same amount of risk as motorcycle riders and gear up properly. I know they are a few bikers who don't wear gear but it seems to be worse with scooter riders.
open face helmets are shit and i know there are mixed views on KB about this, but why are people so careless with their own safety when riding???

Speedy recovery to the rider.

Totally agree Postie.......scooter riders only seem to think that motorbike riders only have to wear the gear but most accidents happen in town, like this one, so scooter speeds are not lower so risks as same.

Speed recovery scooter chick.................maybe we should have KB's visit guys/gals in hospital........preach the word eh?

bugjuice
27th February 2006, 08:12
there was one guy I used to catch up to every so often that was on some gay scooter. He was wear shorts, jandles, a t-shirt and an open face helmet, regardless of weather. I asked him the first time I saw him and said 'mate, it's gonna fuckin hurt like hell when someone hits you, you know..?', and he shrugged his shoulders and said, 'nah, won't happen. I only ride about 5ks each way...'

All this, while we're waiting at the traffic lights of Esmonde Rd waiting to turn onto Barry's Point road. One of the worst place for red-light-jumpers I've ever seen..

Sometimes, they'll only ever learn the hard way.

blitz
27th February 2006, 09:01
I think it should be law to wear a full faced helmet no matter what CC rating. Mainly for the obvious safety reasons. The bear minimum i wear when riding my scooter at the moment are - full faced helmet, proper gloves and of course SHOES!! I cant believe people want to ride in jandels/thongs.

O well, it is their choice.

Hope she recovers well and learns from this experience.

texmo
27th February 2006, 11:58
I was in moto mail one day when I guy was buying a helmet for his son the shop assistant asked him if he was riding a scooter because then an open face helmet would be ok.....

NotaGoth
27th February 2006, 12:09
Hope she heals up well..

My parents rode with open faced helmets, so I never really took in as to what the dangers were when it came to them. After I went to Paeroa and seen a few things I know I'd prefer not to be left picking gravel from my face - Thats if I'm lucky enough to only suffer that kind of damage.

First priority on my list is to get a decent set of gears ready before I bother getting a bike. Even if they end up sitting in a cupboard for 12months while I scrimp and save.

chickenfunkstar
27th February 2006, 12:13
I bet I can go faster than a 50cc scooter on my pushbike (granted i'd need a bit of a hill.) I only wear a normal push bike type helmet when i'm riding it.
If I was only going a few k's in 50 zones on a scooter i'd probably only wear an open face as well (possibly gloves also). I've fallen off my mountain bike loads of times, usually lose a bit of skin but thats never made me consider wearing more gear.

Postie
27th February 2006, 12:15
I bet I can go faster than a 50cc scooter on my pushbike (granted i'd need a bit of a hill.) I only wear a normal push bike type helmet when i'm riding it.
If I was only going a few k's in 50 zones on a scooter i'd probably only wear an open face as well (possibly gloves also). I've fallen off my mountain bike loads of times, usually lose a bit of skin but thats never made me consider wearing more gear.

do you get hit by cars much when you are riding your moutain bike?

WRT
27th February 2006, 12:19
Open face helmets should be illegal, if only cause people wearing them look like such muppets.

Them and those stupid bloody Nazi helmets. Yeah buddy, you're cool. You do realise you look like a knob? Literally?

Flatcap
27th February 2006, 12:23
there was one guy I used to catch up to every so often that was on some gay scooter. He was wear shorts, jandles, a t-shirt and an open face helmet, regardless of weather. I asked him the first time I saw him and said 'mate, it's gonna fuckin hurt like hell when someone hits you, you know..?', and he shrugged his shoulders and said, 'nah, won't happen. I only ride about 5ks each way...'

All this, while we're waiting at the traffic lights of Esmonde Rd waiting to turn onto Barry's Point road. One of the worst place for red-light-jumpers I've ever seen..

Sometimes, they'll only ever learn the hard way.

That guy is a candidate for the Darwin Awards

chickenfunkstar
27th February 2006, 12:34

No, but i'm not sure that i'd be more likley to be hit by car on a scooter either. Not counting when i'm in a car myself, I only know of one person who's been hit by a car and that was when he was crossing the road.

Ixion
27th February 2006, 12:39
Open face helmets should be illegal, if only cause people wearing them look like such muppets.

Them and those stupid bloody Nazi helmets. Yeah buddy, you're cool. You do realise you look like a knob? Literally?

Yep. Look at this one. real muppet, eh. Obviously doesn't have a clue about how to ride, anyone here could show him up

far queue
27th February 2006, 14:48
HELL YES.

I've been bowled off my MTB 3 times by cars over the years, but not once on the motorbike.

1st was when a car moved left and cut me off. I hit the deck at about 25kph, broke my helmet in half and lost lots skin. I was wearing shorts T-shirt and no gloves at the time. No skin on the palms was the most inconvenient injury from that one - I've worn gloves on the MTB ever since. I still have the skars from that one. Driver said he didn't see me. I was damned pleased I was wearing helmet as this was before it was compulsory.

2nd was a dick in a ute who took me out from behind. He admitted he hadn't been watching the road, but was playing with his choke which had stuck on. He wandered too far to the left and collected me, I never saw a thing and wondered what the fuck was going on. Not so much skin lost from that one, but about 3 months physio on a damaged shoulder.

3rd I'd decided to give up biking to work as it was too bloody dangerous on the road and only rode off road. There's a forest 1km from home on a quiet road and I was biking there. I only made it about 50 metres up the road when a dick in a 4WD came straight through a give way sign and into me. More skin off and another rooted helmet. Driver said he didn't see me. This driver was actually quite good and said he used to be a motorbike rider and knew what it was like to have people telling him they hadn't seen him, so was prepared to accept me abusing him. He replaced all the damaged parts with top quality gear - except my skin of course.

And I had christ knows how many close calls. If you think drivers are hopeless towards motorbikes and are out to get you, try push bikes for a while and see what you think then. Motorbikes are safer than push bikes because at least you are part of the traffic flow and can wear all the gear which isn't practical on a push bike. I still ride my MTB, and still off road only. If I do go on the road I stay away from main roads and am bloody careful.

bugjuice
27th February 2006, 15:02
hope this isn't too derogatory.. but just looked funny..

WRT
27th February 2006, 15:04
Hey, never said anything about their ability to ride. And at least the guys from the days gone by have the excuse of it being all there was available. No excuse for it these days however, even if you grabbed Rosi and put him in an open face helmet I'd still say he looked like a muppet.

SPman
27th February 2006, 17:04
I think it should be law to wear a full faced helmet no matter what CC rating. .

Fuck off!.....

Mr Skid
27th February 2006, 17:52
I cant believe people want to ride in jandels Fuck off!.....

The Beast
27th February 2006, 20:21
I admit, I ride a shitty scooter aswell, and I don't wear the correct gear, I usually wear Shoes, jeans, jacket, gloves and a FULL face helmet. I am one of those people that always think 'yeah that will never happen to me' but I know one day I'll be caught out. I've had a number of scares like 4WD's pulling out on me and big drifts due to shit tyres being pushed to hard and everytime I think 'I really should wear more protective gear' but I never get around to it. But hey, I'm an indestructable teenager. I'll learn my lesson one day.

Big Dave
27th February 2006, 22:57
I'd still say he looked like a muppet.

I wear an open face a lot - AND I REALLY LIKE IT.
And I'm not even scared.