PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild track day, 25th Feb

Mental Trousers
27th February 2006, 11:12
Well that was a long but bloody good weekend.

Started on Friday morning when I finally dragged my arse out of bed around 10am. Was meant to leave at 11:00am but I still had a few things to do, so I got myself moving and went and did them. Things came to a grinding halt when I got to the servo to check the pressures. The back tyre was flat. As in flat. And I hadn't even noticed between my place and the servo 3km away. I've never once been able to tell when a rear Michelin is under pressure. I think I'll have to give the thing a kick everytime I go near the bike. Anyway, pumped it up and then toddled along to the bike shop for a couple of things and ended up with one of the guys pulling a staple out of my rear tyre and the bike up on a stand getting a puncture repaired. Arse.

Finally got that fixed then cruised into work to grab a couple of things and call one of our guys who's on the road around Wanganui all day, 6 days a week, to suss out the best route. He reckoned stay off SHW1 and head down the Parapara's so that was my plan.

Finally left Hamilton and headed down the back way to Otorohanga, SHW3 to Te Kuiti, SHW4 to Taumarunui, National Park, Wanganui, Bulls then Feilding. Stopped quite often because my earplugs kept coming out. But only stops of any significance was Taumarunui for gas and at the Owhango Cafe and Bar about 10 minutes out of Taumarunui. Why stop so soon after gassing up?? Ever stopped in Taumarunui?? The old couple that own and run the Owhango Cafe and Bar are great. They're both bikers from way back so I had a good chat to Pete over one of Sue's Lamb Burgers and a Tui. Highly recommended place to stop. Can't say enough about the friendly service, good food, very pleasant surroundings and the fact they're both bikers, although these days they both have their own trikes rather than bikes. If anyone wants to buy a Honda Valkyrie based Trike give Pete a call as he's getting a new one built cos he's had that one for 4 years.

Pretty uneventful ride the rest of the way except for almost burying it in the side of a 4x4. Must have hit something with the front cos for a wee while before that the front end was wandering a bit, then, on one particular corner up in the Parapara's I braked heavily and the front end started poggoing. I could hear the wheel locking and unlocking as it bounced. Managed to turn it but was uncomfortably close to the side of the 4x4. Probably scared the shit out of the driver but I didn't stop. Turned out the front had gone down to 25lbs. Bastard thing was meant to be 33lbs. Rest of the journey was was a gentle cruise to Feiling.

That day will go down in history as the "Bad Tyre Friday". By the time I got to Feilding the rear tyre was flat again. WTF?!?!?! Found that out when I saw the sign for the motel a split second before I went past the drive, thought meh and carried on into Feilding to gas up. I could see the tyre wasn't fully inflated so I swore a hell of a lot, put more air in the tyre, hoped against hope that it'll still be there in the morning and wandered back to the motel to check into the room. Soon as I was in the door I tipped everything out of my pack, got back on the bike and went back into town for beer and food. Bought a doz then proceeded to McD's for a helping of fat. Pulled up outside the golden arches building and thought "why is the bottom of my neck itchy?? .... hey, it's really itchy ....... holy fuck, MY NECKS ON FIRE". The dance that followed is familiar to many people. It's the one where you try to get out of your gear as fast as possible so you can get the damn wasp that stung you out of your jacket!! I'd say the people in the drive through hadn't seen anything quite that strange for a very long time. Mind you, Feilding is a town with a McD's, Subway and KFC but not a single bloody cafe that's open for breakfast. Wtf is up with that??

Arrived back at the room and the neck was merely very itchy rather than burning, so I proceeded to anesthetis it with beer while watching the rugby on Sky Sport. A couple of hours later I heard the familiar sound of a mid size 4 cylinder bike announcing the arrival of NinjaBoy. After meeting and greeting we both sat down with a cold brew and talked for a while. We were both pretty knackered after the long ride down (he lives in Auckland, I'm in Hamilton) so it wasn't very long before we both retired to our respective beds and crashed.

Morning rolled around to find my rear tyre flat again. Fuck. So, out with the compressed gas canisters to get enough into the tyre to get me to the servo. Put gas in, hear gas coming out .... fuck. Got to the servo and pumped it full of air then went in search of breakfast. We settled on Subway (did I mention that hick little town doesn't have a cafe thats open early morning to feed the regular flow of people heading to the autocourse??). While there, I saw a very nice RVF400 go past then come back and stop at the money machine. Turns out that was limbimtimwimsimfimdimrim, but I wasn't to know that until later. We decided to go get signed in and the scruntineering done before I go find some goo to fix the tyre with.

After signing up etc I went in search of goo. None at the servo, none at Repco or Super Cheap Auto (5 of the biggest retail chains in this hemisphere in that town and not a single cafe that does bacon and eggs at 7:00am?!?!?!) ended up at the Suzuki shop where one of the guys said he'd take a quick look for me. Found the leak and it's no bloody wonder the thing was going dead flat all the time. Only option was to put a mushroom plug in it. The dude worked quickly but didn't miss a step. He was very good. Thorough and careful, washing the tyre a number of times to make sure any detergent or grease was removed. Turns out he has to do that sort of thing quite regularly cos there's often bikes getting a flatty on track & test days. Still, took a wee while so by the time I got back I'd missed the rider briefing and the 1st group (the slow group) were just coming in, their session ended because somebody threw it away. So I went straight to the rear of the group that was lined up which, coincedentally, is the group I was meant to be in. Hurrah!!

The Medium group was, however, extremely large so they split it in half (aided by cancelling the 4 wheeler sessions as only 1 turned up) and I went out with the 2nd half.

My first session out there was a bit of a shock. I couldn't believe how bad the surface was. Turns out there was truck racing there a couple of weeks earlier and they had ripped the arse out of the track surface as per usual. That, plus the fact I had had the tyre patched less than 15 minutes beforehand meant I was wobbling around Manfield freaking out for almost 15 minutes. Got back to the pits, kicked the tyre and it was still full of air so that was a relief, then went and sat in the stand to watch the Fast group. They were bloody quick. They were also bloody loose. They yellow flagged the entire track at one point because their were 3 people who'd had incidents. One person had just missed his braking point and pissed off into the kitty litter before lying down, but the other 2 were a touch more painful with 2 low sides. The recovery vehicle had to go and pick them up so the session pretty much ended under yellow.

After the Race group, then the Slow groups 2nd session it was the Mediums again. This time I stopped in the pits and went out right at the back (a couple of others had the same idea too) but unlike the first session I actually enjoyed this one and started finding some decent lines and braking points. At the end of the session I was buzzing and the rear tyre that was starting to look very respectable. The front had a tiny chicken strip though. It was now lunch and time to harden the arteries. 1 hot dog and dodgy, soggy chips later I wandered around and met a few people and chatted for a while, including Oil Boiler and his mum Sue who I'd chatted to in the past but didn't know who she was. The wheelie session was on but it didn't interest me at the time cos I was too happy at how well the 2nd session went.

Mental Trousers
27th February 2006, 11:13
3rd session was a pearler as I left the pits dead last and then passed half the field before the oil light came on and wouldn't go out. So the remainder of my last lap was very slow. However, just as I pulled into the pits the end of session flag came out so I didn't miss anything really. Threw somemore oil in and checked out my tyres. The front was balled across the entire surface and had developed an interesting 2nd lip. There was the 1st lip where the tread ended and the side wall began, but about 1-2mm down the side wall there was a second lip. I *think* it was cos the first lip would bend right over and any balls of melted rubber would roll off the edge and then stick to the sidewall. Kinda neat. I don't know if that's what was actually happening but I like it and that's what I'm sticking to!!

My last session they rolled all of the Mediums out together as many people had left early. Once again I went out at the back of the pack and proceeded to make my way towards the front. Funny thing is some people don't seem to like being passed by a bright pink 750 and a couple of them stopped farken around and started to ride. One was an SV1000 with a guy that I had quietly diced with in the previous session and the other was Oil Boiler (now kiwifruit).

Very last session of the day was meant to be the Race group, but they said anyone who wanted to could get out there. I didn't go out though as I'd mentally wound down and couldn't be bothered getting my head back together at such short notice. So it was a funny mix of bikes like a full race SV1000 circulating at the same time as Str8 Jacket on her little KR150. Most unusual sight. But now I know how Str8 Jacket got her nick - she's stark raving mad. During the afternoon Slow sessions every single time she passed the stand where the Welly group were hanging out she hit the air horns. Seriously funny seeing a little 2 smoker with a petite wee lass tootling past with truck horns blarring. But boy was she enjoying herself. I'm sure she would've still been out there at sunset if they didn't kick her off the track, giggling her head off, scraping the foot pegs and honking at an empty stand. It's really pleasing to see someone go from having lots of doubts about their bike/ability to charging around like a demon a short while later.

After that we all headed back to where all the bikes were parked to talk about stuff while the bbq warmed up. A couple of the Welly crew turned up just TO watch, although they should both have gotten out there and kept Str8 Jacket company even though their bikes were considerably quicker than a stock KR. Velox has finally gotten off the Zeal and onto an all black CBR600RR (suits her too) and Fraggle had her nice red SV650 parked up in the bay next to us. Skelstar whipped out the digital camera and was busy taking pics of the tyres on the Hornet all balled up and looking nicely used. Cowpoos kept dropping hints about breaking out the beers, and the band were busy doing a sound check. One thing that stood out about that day was the number of crashes. I think every single Fast session had at least 1 prang and there were a couple in the Race sessions too.

A short while later the beers came out, the snarlers were nicely browned and the band got underway once the prize giving was done with. Str8 Jacket got a prize for her effort with the air horns, but they didn't give out a prize for the brightest bike, ie my YZF with pink graphics!! Unfortunately well over 3/4's of the people had already bailed, so there weren't that many of us left. People were slowly filtering away, with Velox, poos etc waiting for limtimblahblah to put his bike back together. Next time dude, just tape the damn things up. Gareth_d suggested that me and Ninjaboy head to the place him and Awesker were staying and have dinner as it is his aunties cafe. So we followed Frosty's van (such a generous lad that Frosty) back to [NOTE Hitcher should skip to the next paragraph] Bulls. Directly outside the cafe is the very spot where Hitcher had his off a wee while back. Gareth_d's aunt was out there supporting Hitchers neck for 30mins when it happened. Damn unfortunate (as are all bike accidents), but I can say the cafe has a really nice atmosphere with lots of animals around the immaculate grounds and the food is top stuff. It's the last driveway on the left before the bridge.

After eating and talking for a while we were all starting to feel incredibly tired. Me and Ninjaboy headed back to Feilding and Gareth_d and Awesker were going to cruise over to our motel to watch the superbikes. Unfortunately, the motel only got Sky Sport 1, not Sky Sport 2 which was showing the 1st Superbike race of the season. Bah. So it wasn't long before we were both snoring after a long, tiring, but fabulous day.

Sunday morning Ninjaboy put the jug on for a coffee at 7:00am but I tried to ignore the noise as I was absolutely knackered. Didn't work though so I had to drag my sorry arse out of bed and got my gear together. The plan was to head to the servo to gas up then to Wanganui for breakfast because there weren't any damn cafe's to get breakfast at in Feilding ffs. So we gassed up and I checked the tyre pressures to put any last doubts in my mind to rest. We then crawled up to Wanganui. Main roads are such a drag cos you never know when a cop is going to appear. In fact, one did appear going in the opposite direction. I saw his brake lights going on after he went past us, but he never chased us so I guess he was just braking in the middle of the corner (thought they were meant to be trained drivers that didn't do that sort of crap).

Breakfast was Eggs Montreal (same as Eggs Benedict but replace the bacon with Salmon) and a coffee in the main street of Wanganui. Actually, Wanganui looks like a really, really nice place in bright sun light. Pity it's a cold damp hole with nothing happening 99% of the time unless you're into rowing. Anyway, after the nice breaky, it was off up the Parapara's. Heading up was much better as the road had a couple of days of cars sweeping the newly sealed bits so there was only a couple of places left that were a bit dodgy. Give it another month and 99% of the Parapara's will be in kick arse condition again.

We stopped a couple of times just for 1-2 minutes, but at Owhango I pulled into the Cafe and Bar again as I was knackered and in need of another coffee. So I had a coffee to perk me up while Ninjaboy grabbed a Red Bull. After a short chat to Pete we were off again. Gas at Taumarunui and then onwards to Otorohanga. When we stopped there I phoned Kornholio to see if the Okoroire get together was still going. It was, so Ninjaboy carried on up the back road while I headed up SHW3 to Kihikihi, across to Arapuni, Putaruru, Tirau then Okoroire.

After peeling myself off the seat, it was great to see lots of bikes there and plenty of familiar faces. Eventually made it to the bar and grabbed a Tui. Sat and chatted for a while when my phone rang. Seems my brother was an hour away from Hamilton and wanted to call in and see our apartment and say gidday. So rather than sit around and meet some of new faces, I climbed back on my bike and shot back into Tirau. I caught up to the group that left before me. Apparently half of them missed the turn off 50m down the road and had disappeared. You wouldn't guess they were a one of those disorganised bunches from kb now would you?!?!

Finally, I crawled up SHW1 back to Hamilton. SHW1 was absolutely chocka. Wall to wall cages. Needless to say the average iq of people in control (haha) of cars was suspiciously close to the average shoe size. After an incredibly slow crawl I finally fell in the door of my apartment, stumbling into the loo cos I was busting. I didn't even get to take my bike helmet off first.

Top trip and great day organised by the Ruapehu MCC. If anyone has any doubts about doing a track day forget them. If you want to learn about your bike THE best place is at a closed track with no speed limit. It'll take 20x longer on the road and won't be anywhere near as much fun.

Mental Trousers
27th February 2006, 11:38
Crap. I was having so much fun I can't remember if the medium group did 4 or 5 sessions :weird:

limbimtimwim
27th February 2006, 12:58
Crap. I was having so much fun I can't remember if the medium group did 4 or 5 sessions :weird:I think I got 5 sessions, plus the 'half' session at the end. So you probably got 5 as well.

Mental Trousers
27th February 2006, 13:56
Thought something wasn't right. I that case, session 3 rocked hard and session 4 was when the oil light came on.

Colapop
27th February 2006, 14:30
I just stood around gawping all day - still loved it though. My 11 y/o girl thought the girls on the bikes were "Cooool"

limbimtimwim
27th February 2006, 15:17
I just stood around gawping all day - still loved it though. My 11 y/o girl thought the girls on the bikes were "Cooool"First time I watched a trackday, I was gawping most at the SOUND as the bikes teared past. When a group of 5 or so machines would tear past, just amazing.

Were you there for the first two 'everyone out to see what the track is like' laps? The sound with every single bike there idling was.. is.. impossible to define. If heaven or hell existed, they would both sound like that.

Colapop
27th February 2006, 15:22
No I couldn't get them out of bed - but I was up at 5:30 ready to go! We got there as one group was coming off the track and the next going on. Yeah, I really enjoyed the sound too, just vibrating through ya. Somebody was saying that when you're on you're way back in, ready to croos the track, that the bit of track you're all waiting on vibrates.. how cool is that!!??

NinjaBoy
27th February 2006, 20:02
Sorry to wake you so early on Sunday... just keen to get home.

Glad I decided to follow you up the Parapara's and thoroughly enjoyed myself between Taumaranui and 8-mile junction... too much in fact !!!

When we split, I managed to get to Ngarawhaia in 30 minutes so decided to treat myself to a ride up 22. Absolutely knackered by the time I got to Puke and after a late lunch took Hunua road home..... Collapsed into bed for an hour.

All up 1200km's and some thoroughly scrubbed in tyres. Met some new KB faces and a second visit to Manfield.

Can't wait for the next one.

Str8 Jacket
27th February 2006, 20:14
Haha, excellent write up Mental Trousers! Yeah I had an awesome day and was seriously bummed when I had to leave! Now I just have to remember that the road is not a race track... :blink:

kickingzebra
28th February 2006, 18:17
That was my first track day, and damn!! It did suck being outpowered by like 5 bikes at once down the straights, but I did particularly enjoy the smell of the exhaust of the bike in front!!! Pity the track was a bit screwed, but it was all good!! Glad to meet the guys I met, Limbimtimwim, and the guy on the GSX 250, Whos name I can't remember, and the other guy who binned his RGV in the second run! Lets not mention the drive home... with a trailer!!!

limbimtimwim
28th February 2006, 21:03
It did suck being outpowered by like 5 bikes at once down the straightsI thought you were doing pretty well.

Mental Trousers
1st March 2006, 07:54
Sorry to wake you so early on Sunday... just keen to get home.

I'd been awake for 1/2 an hour already mate, I just didn't want to get out of bed cos I was knackered.

kickingzebra
1st March 2006, 19:00
:hug:
I thought you were doing pretty well.:2thumbsup
That was such a cool day... Tell me though, is it perverse to actually enjoy crashing? I mean, it would suck on the first round, but That feeling of sliding away down the road... I think is kinda cool, might suck a bit more with a sudden stop at the end:brick:

See you guys at the next one!

R6_kid
1st March 2006, 19:16
:hug: :2thumbsup
That was such a cool day... Tell me though, is it perverse to actually enjoy crashing? I mean, it would suck on the first round, but That feeling of sliding away down the road... I think is kinda cool, might suck a bit more with a sudden stop at the end:brick:

See you guys at the next one!

so your the guy on the zzr250 with no side fairings?

the one whos bike refused to do a burnout?

might see you at the next one, was gonna come say hi but wasnt sure if you were kb or not.

Kornholio
1st March 2006, 22:52
[QUOTE=kickingzebra]:hug: :2thumbsup
That was such a cool day... Tell me though, is it perverse to actually enjoy crashing? I mean, it would suck on the first round, but That feeling of sliding away down the road... I think is kinda cool, might suck a bit more with a sudden stop at the end:brick:QUOTE]

Sliding is cool...hitting cars, armcos and ditches aint :blank: