PDA

View Full Version : Another wee rant about scooters

Postie
27th February 2006, 11:43
I saw a scooter rider knocked off her scooter this morning and posted it up on KB about what little protection scooter riders wear, then looking through the March 06 Kiwi Rider, i see ON page 97/98 a new modle Kiwi Rider test for the new Vespa, they mention about all its new design body and the new brakes blah blah blah, (as Cibby says, all scooters should be melted down and made into knee sliders)
but back to the point, all the safety aspects of the new Vespa are mentioned, but the lady riding the vespa for the advert is wearing an office suit, high heels, skirt and suit jacket and an open face helmet, no gloves, not even socks. So this is the rider coming back from the office, the other photo must be her going to see her friends for latte and biscotti as she is wearing afternoon wear, pink suite jacket and skirt, still no gloves but she does have her open face lid.
So is it the fact that it is "cool" to wear fuck all when riding scooters and risking life and limb, or are scooter riders just retarded?
The only scooter rider i know that is not totally retarded is Texmo, he at least wears gear but he has also had the pleasure of writing of a CBR250, so he is fully aware how much coming off hurts and how much gear can save your hide, literally.
The only advert for scooters that has appealed to me is below.

placidfemme
27th February 2006, 11:46
Good rant... and very bad advertising... they should be promoting safety... also I believe the bike mag should screen it's ad's and see if they promote safety before publishing such ad's...

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 11:47
Come on you are just gaging for a scooter aren't you......now if Cibby was riding a scooter with no protective gear (!!!).....would you be complaining...eh he..know what I mean

Plus they try more shit than we do...

I was sat at some lights today in the cage, plenty of room between the cars, could have lane split a goldwing down there.... but all of a sudden there's this scooter on the pavement, going around the corner and back onto the road!

See shit like this all the time with the scooters... stuff you'd never get away with on a regular bike.

What about those scooters that park right outside borders / civic centre entrance. You suppose I'd get away with parking there?

Cibby
27th February 2006, 11:58
Come on you are just gaging for a scooter aren't you......now if Cibby was riding a scooter with no protective gear (!!!).....would you be complaining...eh he..know what I mean

yeah graham he does, i had to drop off my leathers for repairs the othe rday and rode home in jeans, boots, helmet gloves and a t-shirt :eek5: :eek5:

he gave me shit for that.. i gave myself shit for it to actually.. :brick:

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:00
yeah graham he does, i had to drop off my leathers for repairs the othe rday and rode home in jeans, boots, helmet gloves and a t-shirt :eek5: :eek5:

he gave me shit for that.. i gave myself shit for it to actually.. :brick:

He is a good lad....can I have him when you finish with him.......:baby:

fast135
27th February 2006, 12:03
or are scooter riders just retarded?
The only scooter rider i know that is not totally retarded is Texmo, he at least wears gear but he has also had the pleasure of writing of a CBR250, so he is fully aware how much coming off hurts and how much gear can save your hide, literally.
The only advert for scooters that has appealed to me is below.

Yeah, theres alot of scooter riders out there that are retarded.
open faces, no gloves, shorts and skirts.
i dont care what other ppl wear or do. They will learn the hard way.
i just mind my own business.

Texmo or Googie as he is know in the scooter commuity is a retard, but i good one. he would say the same about me.
I wear leather and a full face helmet.
Other riders that dont,,,, yeah they will learn the hard way. someone else posted that they would hit a scooter that is to slow off from the lights. go for it. i also hate scooters that are slow off the mark. my scoots dont have trouble blowing most cars off at the lights. and then theres my bike, cars dont stand a chance.

and the pic of the Piaggio Hexagon..... that is funny.

cher,
Jono

Flatcap
27th February 2006, 12:09
There are a lot of Scooter riders out there with no idea and who give the rest of us Scooterists a bad name. I wear leather and Full face and gloves and keep off the footpath. The one good thing about winter will be a lot of the fair weather riders will disappear

The Stranger
27th February 2006, 12:10
So we should all subscribe to your view of safety?

One of my kids recons all bikers are retarded and have a death wish. Perhaps we should apply Their standard instead and ban all bikes.

Lets face it, half the reason people buy SUV's is for safety, theirs of course. maybe we should ban everything smaller than a SUV.

So where do you draw the line?

Sure I don't feel like paying ACC for someone whom is too dim to realise that a bit of safety gear is a good idea, but then my kid referred to above probably didn't appreciate paying ACC for me when I binned.

So lets not be all high and mighty and pass judgement on others.

Ixion
27th February 2006, 12:20

What about those scooters that park right outside borders / civic centre entrance. You suppose I'd get away with parking there?

I have. BMW and ratty. I always park where I see a heap of scooters.Safety in numbers I reckon. Another good one is opposite the cafe in what used to be the Northern Steamship building, down by Britomart. And on the footpath outside the 247 parking builidng, in that sidestreet. Usually lots of scooters parked there.

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:21
So we should all subscribe to your view of safety?

One of my kids recons all bikers are retarded and have a death wish. Perhaps we should apply Their standard instead and ban all bikes.

Lets face it, half the reason people buy SUV's is for safety, theirs of course. maybe we should ban everything smaller than a SUV.

So where do you draw the line?

Sure I don't feel like paying ACC for someone whom is too dim to realise that a bit of safety gear is a good idea, but then my kid referred to above probably didn't appreciate paying ACC for me when I binned.

Mmmmm...no one is being high and mighty....just a view point on a specific issue whereas you have gone off the tee a bit......anyway, if Ghandi had just sat on a shat pot and not been "high and mighty" where would India be now??:grouphug: time

Cibby
27th February 2006, 12:22
He is a good lad....can I have him when you finish with him.......:baby:

nope, i'm keeping him.. :love:

sorry

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:24
nope, i'm keeping him.. :love:

sorry

Excellent...Postie frame this.........

mstriumph
27th February 2006, 12:26
went on a largish charity ride yesterday

several hundred bikes

and a vespa

:rolleyes: some people have NO shame...........

Cibby
27th February 2006, 12:27

not being biased here.. but.. I think your taking this the wrong way.

The reason you were ok when you had your bin was that you were wearing gear. Postie has had a wicket accident and only has his leg BECAUSE HE WAS WEARING PROPER GEAR, I've had my off, only reason i walked away was once again and all together.. because i was wearing the right gear.

I think that we have the right to be high and mighty as we took advise from the people around us, wore correct gear and were safer during our accidents as a result. The other day at work i had a scooter rider come in wanting a half face helmet, i told him various horror stories etc and he still went with the helmet because.. and i quote

"all my friends wear them"

it worries me when i see scooter riders wearing bad gear, not from being all high and mighty as you suggest but i worry because it will hurt when they come off~!

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:28
:scooter:
went on a largish charity ride yesterday

several hundred bikes

and a vespa

:rolleyes: some people have NO shame...........

Good on the Vespa......shame is good...

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:31
not being biased here.. but.. I think your taking this the wrong way.

The reason you were ok when you had your bin was that you were wearing gear. Postie has had a wicket accident and only has his leg BECAUSE HE WAS WEARING PROPER GEAR, I've had my off, only reason i walked away was once again and all together.. because i was wearing the right gear.

I think that we have the right to be high and mighty as we took advise from the people around us, wore correct gear and were safer during our accidents as a result. The other day at work i had a scooter rider come in wanting a half face helmet, i told him various horror stories etc and he still went with the helmet because.. and i quote

"all my friends wear them"

it worries me when i see scooter riders wearing bad gear, not from being all high and mighty as you suggest but i worry because it will hurt when they come off~!

Yeah I have seen Postie's leg, nice scar but better than no lower leg.....right behind you Cibby............:shake:

MSTRS
27th February 2006, 12:31
Lets face it, half the reason people buy SUV's is for safety, theirs of course.
Thereby proving the rule that they have all of half a braincell, which is also the reason why most of them can't drive:thud: praps that's 'trading up' for scooter riders?

So lets not be all high and mighty and pass judgement on
others.
Oooooaaahh....and take away all our fun??

Big Dave
27th February 2006, 12:34
I produced the Vespa advert from their images.
She is legal and happy and fortunately lived through the photo shoot.

Ixion
27th February 2006, 12:35

M'self, i find that not coming off works surprising well .

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:36
Thereby proving the rule that they have all of half a braincell, which is also the reason why most of them can't drive:thud: praps that's 'trading up' for scooter riders?

Oooooaaahh....and take away all our fun??

Wrong.......I drive one........now that is being judgemental you naughty boy you......:headbang:

MSTRS
27th February 2006, 12:42
I did say 'most' couldn't drive.........just to cover my arse.

Postie
27th February 2006, 12:44

not being a smart arse, but SUV's and 4x4's are not that safe, they regually have low safty stars/points rating because they have a little tendency to roll over when they go round corners, or crumble like the french army when they take an inpact.

My point in this thread is one of concern, i personally don't like seeing people get hurt in motorcycle accidents, specially when they could have walked away rather then been taken in an ambulance if they were wearing better gear. I'm sure if the girl who was hit outside my office this morning could turn back the clock, she proably would have stayed in bed, but if she had no choice but to have an accident this morning, i wonder if she would have worn more protection or just worn the same as she was today.

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:45
I did say 'most' couldn't drive.........just to cover my arse.

but but..."all have half a brain".......anyway when was the last time you covered your arse you commando you....:mega:

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 12:51
not being a smart arse, but SUV's and 4x4's are not that safe, they regually have low safty stars/points rating because they have a little tendency to roll over when they go round corners, or crumble like the french army when they take an inpact.

My point in this thread is one of concern, i personally don't like seeing people get hurt in motorcycle accidents, specially when they could have walked away rather then been taken in an ambulance if they were wearing better gear. I'm sure if the girl who was hit outside my office this morning could turn back the clock, she proably would have stayed in bed, but if she had no choice but to have an accident this morning, i wonder if she would have worn more protection or just worn the same as she was today.

99% of us are with you Postie........not sure if my Mazda MPV is classed as an SUV but anyway, it got a safey rating of 4/5.............that is why I bought it with Natalie in mind.

far queue
27th February 2006, 13:52
I produced the Vespa advert from their images.
She is legal and happy and fortunately lived through the photo shoot.
Have a look at "Last Word" in the October '05 edition of Kiwi Rider where Ross is preaching about image and promoting the wearing of all the gear all the time.

Have a look at "Readers Rave" in the January '06 edition - the letter titled "All The Gear" where Ross is eating humble pie after 2 of your guys appeared in the mag wearing shit clothing. He's apologetic and basically says it won't happen again.

Whether it's you guys that are wearing the shit gear or your adds that are showing others wearing it, the mag is still portraying an image that it's OK to wear very little gear or shit quality gear.

I know it's each individuals choice to wear what they like and I'm pleased we all have this choice, but you guys are increasing the likelyhood that the uneducated will make poor gear choices.

MSTRS
27th February 2006, 16:48
but but..."all have half a brain".......:I rest my case. I wasn't suggesting that you were amongst the 'can't drives', however. You got a scooter too??

anyway when was the last time you covered your arse you commando you....:mega:Whenever the company seems dodgy, my friend:sweatdrop

MisterD
28th February 2006, 06:30
...and here come the safety nazis, and they're playing their joker.....

Compare the oft-derided LTNZ attitude of "it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you don't speed you're a good driver" with this "It doesn't matter how you ride as long as you've got your full face helmet and leather knickers on..."

I ride a scooter, I mostly wear a leather jacket but not if it's a hot day and I mostly wear a full face helmet 'cos it's actually cooler (temperature wise) than my Davida and I wear my fingerless mountain bike gloves. As Ixion said, I find not falling off works surprisingly well....and yes, I may get hit by a car, but leather protects you against abrasion, not 2 ton of steel hitting you.

Grahameeboy
28th February 2006, 07:05
I rest my case. I wasn't suggesting that you were amongst the 'can't drives', however. You got a scooter too??

Whenever the company seems dodgy, my friend:sweatdrop

Bite me bite me............troller gotcha...he he

The Wop
28th February 2006, 14:15
There are two problems here. Firstly, the general public who buy scooters do not always get good advice (or are not always given all the information). The stereotypical cool, good looking Italian guy or gal (with little protective gear on) is what most scooterists think of and aspire towards. So when buying their gears, they buy what is legal and cool looking, not necessarily what is safe.

I commute daily on my *gasp* Vespa and upgraded from an open-face to a full-face in little time, now also wear a proper jacket and gloves. This was after attending a great safety course run by BRONZ, that taught me LOADS!

The second problem is that, surprise surprise, the majority of the scooter clan to not even know about Kiwi Biker, let alone the useful and informative forums that dot the place (like this one). Basically, you are preeching to the wrong folk.....

Adding to MrD's comments, I know someone who lost a leg on a motorcycle. He was wearing full protective gear at the time. Had he fallen over and slid on the tarmac, he would have been fine, thanks to his gear. He didn't, was hit by a car and hit the ground too hard, and no amount of Kevlar, long pants, boots or other gear could save that leg.....

Flatcap
28th February 2006, 14:26
The Wop - you talk perfect sense.

Grahameeboy
28th February 2006, 14:32
There are two problems here. Firstly, the general public who buy scooters do not always get good advice (or are not always given all the information). The stereotypical cool, good looking Italian guy or gal (with little protective gear on) is what most scooterists think of and aspire towards. So when buying their gears, they buy what is legal and cool looking, not necessarily what is safe.

I commute daily on my *gasp* Vespa and upgraded from an open-face to a full-face in little time, now also wear a proper jacket and gloves. This was after attending a great safety course run by BRONZ, that taught me LOADS!

The second problem is that, surprise surprise, the majority of the scooter clan to not even know about Kiwi Biker, let alone the useful and informative forums that dot the place (like this one). Basically, you are preeching to the wrong folk.....

Adding to MrD's comments, I know someone who lost a leg on a motorcycle. He was wearing full protective gear at the time. Had he fallen over and slid on the tarmac, he would have been fine, thanks to his gear. He didn't, was hit by a car and hit the ground too hard, and no amount of Kevlar, long pants, boots or other gear could save that leg.....

I agree but surely it is obvious to scooter riders that they should wear protective gear......I mean do they really need to be told......

At the end of the day protective gear will not protect you in certain situations.....but then the same goes for a car.....however, the question is what other injuries would your friend have sustained if he had not been wearing the gear.......just like not wearing a seat belt?

The Wop
28th February 2006, 15:21
You are right, that wearing safety gear appears to be a no-brainer, but like smoking, unless you are confronted with the dangers, you don't seem to think about what it could do to you.

The problem is also fueled by the whole Moped rule (that is how I got into riding). You can go into a shop, not know the first thing about riding anything with 2 wheels, and as long as you have a car license, ride out on a 50cc death trap. You don't know the first thing, and you don't imagine that you might get hit. You ride oblivious to the dangers....

magicfairy
28th February 2006, 15:27
I used to be a nurse in another lifetime. Worst (as in time it took to heal and the mess it made) motorcycle injury I ever saw (and I saw a few) was a middle aged guy who went to the corner dairy on a Nifty Fifty in shorts and jandals. Lost it in some gravel, low speed crash - no other vehicles involved.
Ground all the flesh, muscle, tendons off his ankle. Left a huge whole you could fit your hand in, you could see all the bones. :sick:

After lots and lots of skin grafts and many months in hospital he never really regained the use of that foot.
He used to give all the young guys in for broken bones from motorbike accidents lectures about wearing safety gear. One look at his injury and they got the message.

Big Dave
28th February 2006, 17:11
Whether it's you guys that are wearing the shit gear or your adds that are showing others wearing it, the mag is still portraying an image that it's OK to wear very little gear or shit quality gear.

The Vespa adverts are a David Cohen Design production and have nada to do with KR other than booking and paying for the space.

Both myself and the Piaggio Corporation are comfortable with the imagery.
She is legal and riding safely.

DougB
28th February 2006, 19:01
Today I scooted about Hamilton on several errands
and observed six motorcyclists. Only one was in full gear.
The rest were in short sleeves, two in shorts and sandals.
One scooter rider I saw was also dressed thus but the another, on a 125cc machine, was wearing full battle dress.

After reading this rant I am thinking about a fullface. I have been riding bikes for fifty years and, when wearing
helmets became law, we only had open face then so I have stuck them.

I saw a helmet like my first, called a Corker, on
display in a vintage collection. No I dont feel old!!!

I have just bought my eleventh machine, a Suzuki
125cc Epicuro and am enjoying it alot. Its big wheels
alow it to counter steer and handle like a bike. Sadly my motor bike is sitting in the shed, I cant, on a pension, afford to register two bikes. I have always had a bike since 1953 - everything from a Corgi second world war paratroop scooter to a Moto Guzzi. A heart condition stopped me heaving the Guzzi around so I now have a 350 Aermacchi - rare in NZ.

I am enjoying this group alot.

far queue
28th February 2006, 19:27
Today I scooted about Hamilton on several errands
and observed six motorcyclists. Only one was in full gear.
The rest were in short sleeves, two in shorts and sandals.
One scooter rider I saw was also dressed thus but the another, on a 125cc machine, was wearing full battle dress.

After reading this rant I am thinking about a fullface. I have been riding bikes for fifty years and, when wearing
helmets became law, we only had open face then so I have stuck them.

I have just bought my eleventh machine, a Suzuki
125cc Epicuro and am enjoying it alot. Its big wheels
alow it to counter steer and handle like a bike. Sadly my motor bike is sitting in the shed, I cant, on a pension, afford to register two bikes. I have always had a bike since 1953 - everything from a Corgi second world war paratroop scooter to a Moto Guzzi. A heart condition stopped me heaving the Guzzi around so I now have a 350 Aermacchi - rare in NZ.

I am enjoying this group alot.
Welcome aboard DougB, enjoy your stay, watch out for the nutters. I bet you've got some interesting stories to tell.

far queue
28th February 2006, 19:33
The Vespa adverts are a David Cohen Design production and have nada to do with KR other than booking and paying for the space.

Both myself and the Piaggio Corporation are comfortable with the imagery.
She is legal and riding safely.

OK, so you produced them, not the mag, but that doesn't alter the fact that the mag is still portraying an image that it's OK to wear very little gear or shit quality gear. The mag still has the choice of what it will print.

Ixion
28th February 2006, 20:59

Oh, did you have one of those too. I had a "Corker Skid-Lid" . That's what it was called, a pudding-basin. My mother kept insisting I wear it and sometimes I couldn't get away without her noticing. Felt a right prat.

Big Dave
28th February 2006, 21:46
The mag still has the choice of what it will print.

The publisher makes those decisions at any magazine - not the editorial staff.

Anyway - that run is over - I got some chics in bikinis we could use next :slap:

far queue
28th February 2006, 21:57
Anyway - that run is over - I got some chics in bikinis we could use next :slap:
mmmm really, well post 'em up here then, I'm sure we're all only too happy to critique them for you :whistle: :wait:

Flatcap
1st March 2006, 07:47

Now THAT is some safety gear everyone can appreciate

MSTRS
1st March 2006, 08:04
.... Aermacchi - rare in NZ.

Well, they are since Helen sold 'em!
Welcome to the greatest show on earth. Have a seat & the icecream girl will be around soon....

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 08:12
GRRRR stupid Scooter salesmen, and scooters... and cages and politicians... ok, i'm going now