PDA

View Full Version : Need 250

aff-man
7th April 2004, 10:48
Well i am now in the market for a cheapish 250. Hopefully something with a bit of performance to match or better the zxr250. If anyone has something or knows someone with something please pm me. I like 4 stokes but will resort to a dirty dirty 2 smoker if need be.

jrandom
7th April 2004, 11:10
What IS it with all you guys who can't wait for a full license? The price you'll pay for a decent fast 250, you're pissing your cash away, and it's not like they're all that cheap to get new parts for, either. Just ride around on a GN or something for the next several months and enjoy the fresh air. Then you can get an older sports 600 for < $5K and REALLY rip it up if you need to.

James Deuce
7th April 2004, 11:22
What IS it with all you guys who can't wait for a full license? The price you'll pay for a decent fast 250, you're pissing your cash away, and it's not like they're all that cheap to get new parts for, either. Just ride around on a GN or something for the next several months and enjoy the fresh air. Then you can get an older sports 600 for < $5K and REALLY rip it up if you need to.

You're old, married, and have kids. You should know better than trying to talk sense to someone born in the '80s.

Antallica
7th April 2004, 11:24
What's wrong with the ZXR?

jrandom
7th April 2004, 11:50
You're old, married, and have kids. You should know better than trying to talk sense to someone born in the '80s.

Look, the day I buy a K100RS you can bury me, OK? No comments reminding me of my mortality before then though, if you'd be so knid.

[That was a typo, but it somehow seems right, so I'm going to leave it in.]

riffer
7th April 2004, 11:50
What's wrong with the ZXR?
It's hideously expensive for what you get, costs a bundle to fix anything, and you'll want to trade it in on a bigger bike anyway in six months if you don't bin it first.

My fzr cost $3900. Try getting a 250 for that.

- Celticno6 (being old, married and with kids, but still atempting to talk sense...)

Antallica
7th April 2004, 11:55
That was CK's old ZXR right? That was only going for $2.5k ... I was gonna get it but the dude got it before me.

riffer
7th April 2004, 11:56
That was CK's old ZXR right? That was only going for $2.5k ... I was gonna get it but the dude got it before me.
$2500 - hmmm. I stand corrected...

Motoracer
7th April 2004, 11:57
My 1987 TZR 250 is still up for sale (just gotta get around to putting it in Trademe and t&e), check online trade in for details. If you'r keen, I'll be straight up with you with anything that needs attention in it, so you'll be paying for what you get.

MikeL
7th April 2004, 12:03
How long to wait before you get your full licence? If it's only a few months it seems a bit silly to spend a lot of money on a 250. You could always buy my CB1 and file off the 400cc letters on the engine - I doubt if mr plod would know the difference.
(Not that I want to encourage you to do anything illegal of course...)

Coldkiwi
7th April 2004, 12:08
quite right mike.. only problem would be the rego sticker! maybe when you re-register you can change the designation to just CB1 :)

btw, on that new bike subject, shouldn't your "bike:..." signature have an R in it somewhere? (like after the GSX bit?) :)

Antallica
7th April 2004, 12:26
Yeah and then you can sell me the ZXR for super cheap :niceone:

James Deuce
7th April 2004, 12:47
Look, the day I buy a K100RS you can bury me, OK? No comments reminding me of my mortality before then though, if you'd be so knid.

[That was a typo, but it somehow seems right, so I'm going to leave it in.]

My apologies Msater

bungbung
7th April 2004, 13:15
My fzr cost $3900. Try getting a 250 for that

Says the man who has now overhauled every single moving part and some of the others...

aff-man
7th April 2004, 15:00
well here is the deal after going through the insurance process i had made $3600 worth of damaged on a bike insured for $3000 hence the right off. The current bike still goes pretty good but it is getting quite old. So i was either gonna pay out insurance get screwed after the $1000 and try find a cheapish 250 to run while i wait till i get my full. As for buying some shitty gn250 . I am used to the performance i get from a zxt to be able to go around a corner off the bike with it pushing the edge of the tyres is something i have got used to. I love pushing the envelope and i think it is safe to say a gn250 would more than infuriate me on a ride. I know i need a bigger bike but that has to wait untill june. looking at nsr on trademe for about 2500

MikeL
7th April 2004, 15:07
$2500 for a bike you're going to use for two months... That's O.K. if you're sure you'll get back what you pay for it.
Again I don't want to advise you to do something illegal but if it was me...

Firefight
7th April 2004, 15:18
$2500 for a bike you're going to use for two months... That's O.K. if you're sure you'll get back what you pay for it.
Again I don't want to advise you to do something illegal but if it was me...

Yep Mike, me too

F/F :whistle:

bungbung
7th April 2004, 15:30
...I love pushing the envelope...

Just how big do you think the envelope on a GN250 is?

You'll be right on the limit just riding down to the shops :laugh:

aff-man
7th April 2004, 15:41
my point exactly plus there is the cool looking bike issue :whistle: . As for a bigger bike i don't ming pushing the licence boundry but the problem is if i crash it then insurance will say i was riding outside the bounds of my licence ect ect ect and so won't pay

Andrew
7th April 2004, 18:39
my point exactly plus there is the cool looking bike issue :whistle: . As for a bigger bike i don't ming pushing the licence boundry but the problem is if i crash it then insurance will say i was riding outside the bounds of my licence ect ect ect and so won't pay

Exactly what I was thinking. When you're a rich cunt, then yes you can afford to take the chance with the whole licence thing.
But when you're a student you just don't have the security to bail yourself out of trouble. I suggest try and stay legal until you can be comfortable that you can bail your way out of an accident. You may aswell not pay for insurance if you're riding illegaly. A false sense of security could be bad.

Posh Tourer :P
7th April 2004, 20:35

Well, I guess the cool looking bike issue is relevant. There is a difference between a bike you can push and a fast bike. I used to push the CB125 and MZ pretty damn hard along scenic drive. They were a touch slow for some parts of it, but.... An RG150 may be the best bike for some parts of that road. Anyway, rambling aside, you can push any bike hard, and have fun on it. (see bucket racing) As I see it its really a question of a good looking bike, and the ability to go on a few longer rides on faster roads. If you can give that up for a couple of months, I would go for it and buy something really cruddy. Its winter anyways. Get a better thing when you get your licence.

georgedubyabush
7th April 2004, 21:07
Have you seen that complete zxr in parts on trademe affman?
make 1 from 2?

riffer
8th April 2004, 08:07
Says the man who has now overhauled every single moving part and some of the others...
touche bungbung....

KATWYN
8th April 2004, 08:09

So if you can afford no insurance and a $400.00 fine when you get caught
on a larger cc bike, then .....tempting though.

I went through a warrent of fitness stop on my R6 when I was on registricted
and I was so nervous after the cop checking it over that when he said
o.k, when I went to take off I stalled it...which made me even more nervous and I stalled it again...by then i'm sure the cop was getting suspicious I couldnt get away quick enough after that.....In the meantime another cop got my husband on his R1 !!

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 08:44
Honestly - in all the time I was riding on my learners - I never once got stopped to check what size bike I was riding. I think the biggest problem you will face is when you have an accident or get caught speeding etc - and then they do the checking.

KATWYN
8th April 2004, 09:03
Honestly - in all the time I was riding on my learners - I never once got stopped to check what size bike I was riding. I think the biggest problem you will face is when you have an accident or get caught speeding etc - and then they do the checking.

Well maybe my husband was an exception to the rule....cos he was pulled
over randomly and the lady cop went off and did a check (or whatever they
do) and came back all hypo saying "what size bike is this!!" as if it was a
crime against her personally....er a 100cc hehe. But hubby was honest and
said it was a 1000 cc

Ghost Lemur
8th April 2004, 14:56
Have you seen that complete zxr in parts on trademe affman?
make 1 from 2?

There is also
this (http://trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=10374614&permanent=0) in the parts section on Trademe. 1991 Across says he'll wof and reg. Dunno if it's what you're after but may be worth looking into further.

Antallica
8th April 2004, 15:41
"the bike itself has done 198000 km"

Tell me that is a typo :o

Ghost Lemur
8th April 2004, 15:50
"the bike itself has done 198000 km"

Tell me that is a typo :o

Yeah, that was my initial reaction too, but seeing as he mentions it's had an engine change, I suppose it's a bit negated.

dangerous
9th April 2004, 21:21
A mate of mine has a CBX250 (single) to sell.........well hell its better than a GN and it will do in the mean time.

Kwaka-Kid
12th April 2004, 07:55
dude, ITS TWO BLOODY MONTHS! honest to you know who just hold out a little!.. think about it this way: it takes like months and months to get to know a bike properly to ride safely anyway, so if it was because you neeed to get to tech and back etc then just buy that CBX250 anyways, if you really must, because otherwise you may go for a ride the weekend you get it and go too hard and come off on a nice bike you hardly knew, trying to own a bike for only 2 months sucks dude, no time at all to know anything about the bike/work on it and discover whats been done. buy a CB250 if for such a short time, and whats this pushing the envelope crap? tthats fine, do it on a CB250, tell yah what if i went down to one id still have lots to learn, betcha around a tight road some old fart could whip yah ass with him being on a CB250 and you on a ZXR250 - yeah? if you can honestly say No, then you have nothing to learn and thats fine, but if you accept it then its only 2 months of slightly less power and you can still hoan you skills riding on old tech etc.

Antallica
12th April 2004, 08:44
How much for teh ZXR and is it road legal?

Rocket
13th April 2004, 08:22
im sick of looking at over priced 250s im now looking at a VFR 400R

FROSTY
13th April 2004, 08:33
why not buy back the old bike. Youll find a lot of that 3500 was cosmetic shite like tank repairs and replacement plastics.
As long as the basic structure of the bike is still ok strip her down and make her into a naked.
Bent forks /wheels even triple clams are fixabe or cheaply replaceable.
I've converted quite a few like that and youll be suprised how little it costs to get the bike back on the road .

aff-man
13th April 2004, 08:46
Yip that's what i am looking at doing at the moment because the 250 market really sux. As to why i wanted a sports bike: well a cb250 would be ok to trundel off to tech. But i am trying to build my skills on a sportsbike ie riding position bike angle ect ect ect. So that's why i wanted something sporty. I got quoted $500 to get mobviouse mechanics fixed i don't know if it was parts inclusive though. The bike is still rideable i have been riding it but with a few modifications . i am not to worried about cosmetics i can get that sorted so i guess that would be the best option.

Kwaka-Kid
13th April 2004, 14:18
yep it prolly owuld be the best option, and yeah make her into a 250 street fighter dude! and bah the skills on sports bikes bit, i bet in 2 months you could still learn just as much usful info on a cb250 thats still relevant to the RR world, i.e sliding the rear around in the wet be it under power or braking, sliding the front around/locking it up on the crap tyres and learning to deal with front end lockups. pulling wheelies and balancing them (in 1st gear obviously), you could break out into the mechanical side and teach yourself more then any tech will by pulling the engine down and rebuilding and/or then making your own pipe from scratch/trying different combinations cheaply without a dyno jsut seat of the pants, aswell as air intake options etc and jetting, everythings so simple on a single cylander and in 2 months you sure as hell wont run out of things to learn that can still be taken over to your RR world, i bet not even in 2 years would you run out of things!-god knows i didnt.... anyways its just a cheap option etc - oh and i sure as hell didnt practise sliding rear/front or anything crazy like that, just saying if you want to learn stuff that can still be used then the option is there, oh and i have 5x sets of different racing clipons that will fit old CB250 forks and a gsx400 front end that bolts on with modern 2 disc front in brakes etc, aswell as you could cut and modify the subchassis and voila within a few hours on a day off you could get yourself to the position of you ZXR250! anythings possible!

shandawg
15th April 2004, 13:35
I've got an '89 Honda VTZ 250 that I'm about to sell, It's the naked version of the VT250.
40HP v-twin
recent chain, sprockets, brake pads, fork seals, oil change.
good tyres
has been resprayed in the past, could use another at some stage.
could also probably use a timing chain in the next few thousnad k's, could organise that and build into the price though.

I've had 2 1990 zxr250's (someone stole the first one) and a 1992 rgv250,
obviously the vtz's not quite as quick put it still pulls pretty hard for a 250 and has loads more torque down low.

$1700

021 1810148

aff-man
19th April 2004, 12:15
Cheers for the info guys bur due to the dicks at insurance i am going to not claim and fix this bike out of my own back pocket . Going into bike shop on thursday to get all mechanics fixed. As to fairings gonna get them sorted myself over the next couple of months so by the time i get my full the bike will be in mint condition and ready to sell

Rocket
19th April 2004, 12:39
good call aff-man. myself, im off to look at a 1991 ZXR 250. woooo yer :P Very nicely priced as well.

Antallica
19th April 2004, 13:21
Cheers for the info guys bur due to the dicks at insurance i am going to not claim and fix this bike out of my own back pocket . Going into bike shop on thursday to get all mechanics fixed. As to fairings gonna get them sorted myself over the next couple of months so by the time i get my full the bike will be in mint condition and ready to sell
Then perhaps I will be knocking on your door mate ;)

FROSTY
26th April 2004, 22:22
If its any help I migth have all the gear you need to retro or streetfighter the bike till you can get the plastics fixed

aff-man
27th April 2004, 12:12
Were you at puke on the 23rd xjxjxj cause if you were you might have seen it there in the arvo i was the guy with the yellow shark helmet ect...

aff-man
27th April 2004, 12:17
Were you at puke on the 23rd xjxjxj cause if you were you might have seen it there in the arvo i was the guy with the yellow shark helmet ect...