PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki AX100

blitz
27th February 2006, 19:29
Hi there

I am considering purchasing a Suzuki AX100 once i get my learners (next tues) and i am just wanting your opinions or experiences on the bike.

I am upgrading from a 50cc scooter so i think that another 50cc's wont be anything that cant handel. I will mainly be using it to cruise to Uni each day (about 30mins each way) and am not expecting to go on open roads of coarse!! + I dont think the bike would be possible of holding high speeds for long!

The bike is a 2004 model and has 12,000ish ks on it. Hes wanting around $1200 for it. Is this reasonable? It comes with a new fuel tank and new WOF and Rego.

The bikes down at a dealership on Hewletts Rd Mt Maunganui but im in Aucks :Oops:

Are there any fellow KBers down there that have 10mins spare time to test ride it for me and give me their personal opinion :yes: Im a newbie and dont really know what to look for. Plus i dont want to drive all the way down there with a trailer to find out its a Lemon!! . Please PM me if you can do this Huge favor for me!!!

Any info or opinions would be greatley appreciated!!

Skunk
27th February 2006, 20:40
I picked up an 86 model (the same thing - they haven't changedin years) for $100 with rego on hold. Change the spark and she'll still do 100kph for extended periods.

Questions are:
1. What else could you get for $1200?
2. Is it still worth $1200 once you know the answer to 1.
3. Could you live with a cheaper, older one for a while and save the money for something better later?

blitz
27th February 2006, 22:05
Hmmm ive looked on trade me and for around $1600 upwards i could get a 150cc bike like a RG150 but im not to fussed on speed as i just want a low maintainance cruiser.

At the moment i havent seen any older ones for sale but i wouldnt mind an older one. I have seen one on bikepoint advertised for $2000 and it is the same year but with Higher K's. This ones going for $1200

This is the one im interested in: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=48905254

I will be selling my SJ50 Scooter for $1200-$1400 so i wont be losing any money if i spend what i get. But then again i could save a few more $$$ and get something else. Its my last year at Uni and just wanting something a bit better than a 50cc scooter to take me to town for another year.

Skunk
28th February 2006, 06:28
The older ones seem to 'surface' rather than get advertised.

I think you could find something better for the money - if you know what to look for. That's not to say $1200 is a bad price for this AX100. They are reliable as. As you haven't ridden a 'real' motorbike yet this is the best next step. It will teach you how to maintain a motorbike too, as it has cable clutch and cable operated drum brakes.

Try posting a thread asking someone to check it out without mentioning what it is straight away... maybe then someone up there will offer help.

blitz
28th February 2006, 09:29
The older ones seem to 'surface' rather than get advertised.

I think you could find something better for the money - if you know what to look for. That's not to say $1200 is a bad price for this AX100. They are reliable as. As you haven't ridden a 'real' motorbike yet this is the best next step. It will teach you how to maintain a motorbike too, as it has cable clutch and cable operated drum brakes.

Try posting a thread asking someone to check it out without mentioning what it is straight away... maybe then someone up there will offer help.

Thankz for the advice!! I really apprecitate it. Ill keep hunting around for a bike here in Aucks. As i metioned, im just wanting something a lil bit better and safer than a Scooter to cruise to Uni for the rest of the year. Than i will either sell it or keep it to cruise on in weekends.

Theres a 2003 GN125 on trademe for a few hundred $$'s more than the AX100, i might check it out.

MidnightMike
28th February 2006, 09:35
I have personally seen the bike.
I didnt take much notice of it but (other then the huge dent in the tank)
Its in good nick.

blitz
28th February 2006, 12:21
I have personally seen the bike.
I didnt take much notice of it but (other then the huge dent in the tank)
Its in good nick.

Yeah it comes with a new tank. They just gotta chuck it on - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=48905254

Ill prob just keep looking around for something in Aucks.

MidnightMike
28th February 2006, 12:27
Yeah it comes with a new tank. They just gotta chuck it on - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=48905254

Ill prob just keep looking around for something in Aucks.

If you are really keen on it, where it is doesnt matter, maybe one of the other tauranga kb's could go check it out for you.

Stopper Dan
3rd March 2006, 16:23
My first bike waz an AX100 and i rode that dmn thing everywhere! (even offroad, which the boulbus indicators didn't like) it was a good first bike, even though it was very slow. Just don't run it on avgas the expansion chamber will fill with carbon and go very slow. It wasn't too bad a bike, just remember to fill the two stroke oil occasionally (are they still two stroke? ) Id go for a 250 though cause it wont take long before the lack of power becomes very annoying.

Skunk
3rd March 2006, 21:25
If you're still looking for a cheapy try this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=49091032). He's looking for around $500 I think. Save the rest for a better bike later. This has disc brakes too.

OK, it's in Dunedin but the GP100 is a better bike than the AX100. If that's too far to freight I know where there might be a GP100 in Wellington...

Troll
4th March 2006, 02:58
why don't you look at a 125 trail bike and do a bit of off road riding

it will not only be a ball of fun but you will learn real world skills with out having to dodge cars and lamp posts?

blitz
4th March 2006, 15:25
why don't you look at a 125 trail bike and do a bit of off road riding

it will not only be a ball of fun but you will learn real world skills with out having to dodge cars and lamp posts?

Possibly because im wanting to commute to uni ON ROAD not off road.

Skunk
4th March 2006, 16:13
I use my KLX250 on and off road... great fun on road. :Punk:

Yes, you can get road legal trail bikes (but not motorcross bikes generally...)

Troll
4th March 2006, 19:10
Possibly because im wanting to commute to uni ON ROAD not off road.

with the right tyres a 125 trail bike would be just as good a commuter as a road bike

witness the popularity of supermoto's

blitz
5th March 2006, 15:21
with the right tyres a 125 trail bike would be just as good a commuter as a road bike

witness the popularity of supermoto's

Hmmm you have a good point there!! Might look into it.

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 22:04
The AX100 are great bikes, They seam to go forever and dont miss a beat, Also they hold value. small, light, Easy too move, you can even ride up and down stairs with those things.....