PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Test Questions

Burger
27th February 2006, 20:54
Heyall,

I'm sitting my restricted test this Friday, better put that L plate back on... It's at the unusual time of 4pm, so the traffic is likley to be a bit shit, but anyway, I digress.

My bike is a 180, and doesn't really look like a scooter, but might technically fall into that category. Can I sit my licence on it ? I don't have gears, it's all CVT, which should make the whole ordeal easier for me...

But I guess if I need a motorcycle licence to ride it, I must be able to sit the test on it right ?

Oh, one more question... I'd like to reduce the wait for my full from 6 to 3 months. To do this I have to do some sort of advanced car test right ? What if I do not have a car licence ? My reasoning is that if I don't drive a car, I don't need a licence for it right ? So how do I take a stupid car test for my motorbike licence ? All seems a bit backwards if you ask me. (pic of bike attached)

Maha
27th February 2006, 21:11
um?, when i did my restricted they said i could reduce the wait to 3months by doing a defensive driving course, NOT in a car, at a desk, but it was a 20 drive from here to Orewa , couldn't be arsed and it didnt bother me to wait 6 months rode the bigger bike anyway, so, the driving course you have been told about should be at a desk, one night a week for 4 weeks if i remember correctly, look into is all can suggest Burger..................:ride:

Burger
27th February 2006, 21:13
Right... I assumed there would be some sort of practical to go with it...

Can anyone elaborate ? (and help with the other question?)

Shadows
27th February 2006, 21:45
The rules only state that you can't use a moped for your test, so CVT or not it should be okay.
The reduction of time for your restricted license is only possible if you have completed an advanced motorcycle course (not a cage defensive driving course).
Take a look at www.roadsafe.co.nz. These guys do a restricted and full license course, these courses include the assessment for the next level of license so you don't need to do a separate practical test with the AA or whatever.
Its about $300 I think.

Maha
27th February 2006, 21:45
Right... I assumed there would be some sort of practical to go with it...

Can anyone elaborate ? (and help with the other question?)
Yes you can sit your resticted on that bike, dont recall the road insisting on gears, as long as it has current WOF and REGO no problem.....

Maha
27th February 2006, 21:47
Anyway they will follow you in a car hopefully, cant tell if you are changing gears or not, hill starts will be a breeze...............:2thumbsup

Nicksta
27th February 2006, 21:52
good luck with your test.. tell us how it went as i'm sitting mine on saturday!!

Burger
27th February 2006, 22:19
Thanks for the info dudes. Is that CBTA thing still going ? I heard it's over now or something.

Shadows
27th February 2006, 22:33
If asked about road hazards at any intersections don't forget to mention the driving instructor right up your arse.

Shadows
27th February 2006, 22:35
Thanks for the info dudes. Is that CBTA thing still going ? I heard it's over now or something.

CBTA?

10 10 10

Nicksta
28th February 2006, 23:02
If asked about road hazards at any intersections don't forget to mention the driving instructor right up your arse.

LOL..... funny enough, this is probably true....
have fun dude..

Insanity_rules
1st March 2006, 07:55
Hi there,
I enquired about the CBTA last week and its finished, but their other courses look good. And nice people to deal with. Good Luck with your restricted, let us all know what it was like yeah?

Drum
1st March 2006, 12:30
Im sitting mine at 8:30 tomorrow morning in the Hutt. Looks like it might be wet too. At least that should solve the problem of maintaining a speed less than 50 km/h for a sustained period. I will post an update afterwards.

Any suggestions from those that have already done the test?

dveus
1st March 2006, 13:45
The reduction of time for your restricted license is only possible if you have completed an advanced motorcycle course (not a cage defensive driving course).

Not quite the case, I have just recently sat my full license after a reduced period as I had done a defensive driving course (Street Talk I think it was called). This is very much a car based course, though with it being all theory most of it translates fairly well to the bike.

GR81
1st March 2006, 14:59
Dveus: did you still have to sit the full licence practical with the AA?

Shadows
1st March 2006, 21:32
Not quite the case, I have just recently sat my full license after a reduced period as I had done a defensive driving course (Street Talk I think it was called). This is very much a car based course, though with it being all theory most of it translates fairly well to the bike.

Oh, okay, I didn't know that. However I reckon a bike based one makes more sense unless you really don't care what you get out of the course other than a reduction in restricted time.

Insanity_rules
8th March 2006, 12:02
CBTA?

10 10 10

Competency based training assesment. A couple of riding schools could get you your full quicker if you passed this course. It was a trial course set so that suitably skilled riders could almost get their fulls within weeks.

I missed out :bye:

blacksheep
23rd March 2006, 16:44
Heyall,

I'm sitting my restricted test this Friday, better put that L plate back on... It's at the unusual time of 4pm, so the traffic is likley to be a bit shit, but anyway, I digress.

My bike is a 180, and doesn't really look like a scooter, but might technically fall into that category. Can I sit my licence on it ? I don't have gears, it's all CVT, which should make the whole ordeal easier for me...

But I guess if I need a motorcycle licence to ride it, I must be able to sit the test on it right ?

Oh, one more question... I'd like to reduce the wait for my full from 6 to 3 months. To do this I have to do some sort of advanced car test right ? What if I do not have a car licence ? My reasoning is that if I don't drive a car, I don't need a licence for it right ? So how do I take a stupid car test for my motorbike licence ? All seems a bit backwards if you ask me. (pic of bike attached)
hey im doing my restricted on friday aswell but at 2:15. yea i've just bought a fluoro vest and gonna wear protective clothing to suck up to the tester a bit. my dad also advised me to stick a clear visor on my lid so that the instructer can see me scanning and stuff. yea weather is lookin pants for the test day aswell. hopefully he'll feel sympathetic and pass me easy... yea do you think it will have any effect on the tester wearing all the safety gear and stuff? also i've gathered that the tester runs through round-a-bouts, intersections and u-turns and stuff. am i right? tanxs

MSTRS
23rd March 2006, 16:55
hey im doing my restricted on friday aswell but at 2:15. yea i've just bought a fluoro vest and gonna wear protective clothing to suck up to the tester a bit. my dad also advised me to stick a clear visor on my lid so that the instructer can see me scanning and stuff. yea weather is lookin pants for the test day aswell. hopefully he'll feel sympathetic and pass me easy... yea do you think it will have any effect on the tester wearing all the safety gear and stuff? also i've gathered that the tester runs through round-a-bouts, intersections and u-turns and stuff. am i right? tanxs
Sucking up won't work. And legally all you need on a bike is a helmet. Try bribery with lots of dosh if you are determined to pass.:killingme

Ixion
23rd March 2006, 16:58
Uh, you're not going to bowl up for the test on an SV1000 , are you ?

blacksheep
23rd March 2006, 17:59
Uh, you're not going to bowl up for the test on an SV1000 , are you ?
i could try... but it would be a bit different to my 250 katana. sorry i was using my dad's profile ( : :Oops: