PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Newbee on the road

Hawkeye
27th February 2006, 22:08
Just thought I would say Hi. Been a 'cager' for more years than I'm prepared to admit. Finally decided that with the price of petrol, I could convince the better half that a bike would be more economical. Got my hands on an old (85) Honda CBX250 at Christmas. Doubled her value by adding paint and tidying her up. (The bike not the misses). Did the BHT with Roadsafe on Wellington Anniversary, and then the scratchy the next day.
After lots of short runs to the local super and back and a few slightly further afield, I decided that tonight was the night to give it a try and ride into Wellington. First time down/up the gorge in a Wellington wind. Interesting to say the least. Also came back in the dark which was yet another new experience.
But I survived to tell the tale. So here I am, the new kid (!!!) on the block.
If you see me out and about, say Hi, give a wave (and give me a wide berth).
I'm sure one day I will be able to live up to my member name, but not just yet!

Shadows
28th February 2006, 00:00
Tonight, of all nights..... was it still blowing like 40 bastards out there?
Excellent, we need more keen bikers.

kels
28th February 2006, 01:38
Hi Swift One and welcome to KB :wavey:

kiwifruit
28th February 2006, 01:42
welcome to the site and the world of road riding
enjoy and look out for people trying to kill you (most other road users)

skelstar
28th February 2006, 07:29
Hey bud. Welcome to the site. Keen for a newbie ride on Wednesday night?

Str8 Jacket
28th February 2006, 08:13
Welcome to the site! Riding in the Wellington wind can be very interesting to say the least. Be good to see you on the ride tomorrow...... (check meetings and events, its called TCWNR) hopefully see ya there!

phoenixgtr
28th February 2006, 08:25
She was a bit gusty last night

Welcome to the site :niceone:

R1madness
28th February 2006, 09:39
Ahh another convert. Welcome to the madness.

A word of advise. Keep an eye on the oil level on the CBX. They are a great bike but do "use" a little oil and since they only hold a little bit there is not a lot to spare. Once a week or before a long ride should do it.

MidnightMike
28th February 2006, 09:47
Welcome to KB. :sherlock:

bladez
28th February 2006, 09:49
welcome to the road and have fun out there :ride:

Hawkeye
28th February 2006, 10:47
A word of advise. Keep an eye on the oil level on the CBX. They are a great bike but do "use" a little oil and since they only hold a little bit there is not a lot to spare. Once a week or before a long ride should do it.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye on it. I wasn't aware of that.

Hawkeye
28th February 2006, 11:11
Tonight, of all nights..... was it still blowing like 40 bastards out there?

Yeh! it was rather gusty out there last night.
I decided that at some point I had to go out in the wind so lets get it over with. Let's face it. I live in the Wellington region. How often is there going to be no wind.....

Bekki
28th February 2006, 19:09
So here I am, the new kid (!!!) on the block.
Welcome SWIFT ONE!! :D :D
I am new too.
Everyone here is SO friendly and the site is a treasure trove of knowledge, I am sure you will enjoy!
I would only caution you to stay away from the arcade section, it's crazy addictive.....

Hawkeye
28th February 2006, 19:25
Welcome SWIFT ONE!! :D :D
I am new too.
Everyone here is SO friendly and the site is a treasure trove of knowledge, I am sure you will enjoy!
I would only caution you to stay away from the arcade section, it's crazy addictive.....

Thanks Bekki. Haven't visited that section yet! Sounds my kind of place:ride:

Motoracer
28th February 2006, 19:33
Welcome welcome! :)

Uncle B
28th February 2006, 19:35
Welcome to KB
come along to the TCWNR, 6:30pm southern end of Avalon park just off the Kennedy Good bridge.
Also hold a once a month Newbie ride, next one is on the 12 March (yet to be posted) all are welcome and are good fun.

Enjoy the site

BEAMER89
28th February 2006, 19:47
Giday welcome 2 KB!! They r a great learners bike (had one myself to learn on). enjoy the site :ride: :spudbooge

Jamezo
28th February 2006, 20:41
Just thought I would say Hi. Been a 'cager' for more years than I'm prepared to admit. Finally decided that with the price of petrol, I could convince the better half that a bike would be more economical. Got my hands on an old (85) Honda CBX250 at Christmas. Doubled her value by adding paint and tidying her up. (The bike not the misses). Did the BHT with Roadsafe on Wellington Anniversary, and then the scratchy the next day.

Hang on, was that you at my BHST? I remember a CBX, I was the guy with the RG150.

Scorpygirl
28th February 2006, 20:42
Hi Swift 1 - welcome to KB and I hope you enjoy all the fun!!! :rofl:

far queue
28th February 2006, 22:06
Welcome aboard, have fun, and watch out for the nutters - on the roads and on here :dodge:

Hawkeye
28th February 2006, 22:30
Welcome to KB
come along to the TCWNR, 6:30pm southern end of Avalon park just off the Kennedy Good bridge.
Also hold a once a month Newbie ride, next one is on the 12 March (yet to be posted) all are welcome and are good fun.

Enjoy the site

Would love to come along but I'm on call and the bike doesn't have anywhere to plug in the laptop. Also, I don't think the wife would appreciate me disappearing for most of the night as it's also my daughter's birthday. I value my testicles to much.

skidMark
28th February 2006, 22:45
it's also my daughter's birthday. I value my testicles to much.

wise decision

welcome to the madhouse :psst:

Hawkeye
28th February 2006, 22:49
Hang on, was that you at my BHST? I remember a CBX, I was the guy with the RG150.

Hi Jamezo, yes the same guy.. having spent years and years and years in a cage I've finally got onto a bike. Misses was never keen and for family reason's have never pushed it. Now the kids are getting a bit older and petrol has increased so much, misses finally agreed. I bought a TZR250 on Trademe within 10 mins of her agreement. Unfortunately when I went to pick it up it was not as described so came away without it.. Mentioned it to a guy in work who said he had the CBX for sale. Not quite a TZR but it has got me on the road. First step over. She has even said it will do me until I get my full so I can get something better. I think my wife has been replaced by an alien....but I'm not complaining.

Insanity_rules
1st March 2006, 08:04
Hey there Swift,
Welcome from one noob to another, yeah strange thing about wives is they can be quite understanding of the bike bug.

I'm back into riding too after a long stretch in a cage and only a dirt bike for company (occasionally). I'm looking for my first road rider to get me through the L year.

See ya on the black top bud

Drum
2nd March 2006, 19:52
Gidday Swiftone.

I'm also amazed at how well my missus' accepted my "mid life crisis" - taking up biking in my thirties!

Enjoy your crisis :2thumbsup

Hawkeye
2nd March 2006, 19:58
Gidday Swiftone.

I'm also amazed at how well my missus' accepted my "mid life crisis" - taking up biking in my thirties!

Enjoy your crisis :2thumbsup

God, I wish it was my mid life crisis. I think I'm a little past that now....:Punk:

Drum
2nd March 2006, 20:05
Even more disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself!