PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy this stuff.

Jackrat
7th April 2004, 15:46
After many months of looking I can,t find a seat to replace the stupid looking thing on my bike so I rang "Trim it"in Tauranga.Hell $600 for a simple club man type single seat.Now Iv'e seen their work and it's very nice but $600 hell my bike cost $1500,You get the picture Aye!
So now I have all the detailed info on how to do it myself but I need to buy the fiberglass from some where.
So any ideas from you Auckland types,Where do I go for the stuff.
Thanks much.

Ghost Lemur
7th April 2004, 16:01
I take it a reasonable off cut would do? Try boat builders, etc. One of them are sure to have some scraps.

vifferman
7th April 2004, 16:06
Surely there is some other similar Yamaha seat (I presume it's for the Yammy?) that could be adapted to fit. Y'know - apply a bit of Kiwi ingenuity to it? If it's some really crappy thing from a wrecker or summat, it could be reupholstered for naff all. I've had a couple of seats reupholstered, and it didn't cost that much, but they're only stretched and stapled on, so you could easily do it yourself. Yes?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick about all this?

Firefight
7th April 2004, 16:44
Hi Jack, don't know if it helps, next time your in Pukekohe, stop in and see "Rusty" upholtsering(sp?) in the old shed next to KFC opp Counties motorcourt,near the roundabout hes done a few bike seats, he used to ride a bit himself, might be able to help.His prices are normally pretty good.

Firefight.

pete376403
7th April 2004, 17:20
I bought a pretty large tin of resin, the hardener and about 2 sq meters of chopped strand mat from a car paint place in Lower Hutt for around $55. Also to repair a seat base.
Marine shops should be able to sell you the stuff as well

Jackrat
7th April 2004, 17:31
Thanks for the replys guys.
Trying to find a seat from another bike I have tryed but the mounts for my one are very high and hold the seat very high as well.Two inches off the frame at the rear.
Even a seat from an earlyer XS will not fit unless you chop off the rear mounts.I intend to make the new pan to hug the frame rails and will use the standard mounts.I can do this because I will have a rear hump rather than a pilion seat.Then I can chuck away the rear pegs.I intend to use the seat cover and foam from a Honda GB500.The honda has the shape I am after but the pan is the big problem as I don't want to cut the mounts off.
Got the new tank,Suzuki GS450,Got the rear sets off some thing that fits??
Got the twin disc's,Thanks to Celticno6,Got the fork brace,Tarrozi from OZ,
Got the exhaust priced up,To much to talk about,Keeping an eye on Trade me for a Daytona steering damper.Like she said,it won't happen over night but it will happen.

750Y
7th April 2004, 18:26
I've got some stuff floating around if you want it.

Motu
7th April 2004, 19:38
Me too,couple a 20s of resin and some mat,been lying around for years when I had a glass tailgate on the Coon - I'll give the drums a shake tomorrow,see if it's still liquid.

Posh Tourer :P
7th April 2004, 20:53
After many months of looking I can,t find a seat to replace the stupid looking thing on my bike so I rang "Trim it"in Tauranga.Hell $600 for a simple club man type single seat.Now Iv'e seen their work and it's very nice but $600 hell my bike cost $1500,You get the picture Aye!
So now I have all the detailed info on how to do it myself but I need to buy the fiberglass from some where.
So any ideas from you Auckland types,Where do I go for the stuff.
Thanks much.

Apparently Nuplex are the big ones for fibreglassing and suchlike....

7th April 2004, 21:00
Surely there is some other similar Yamaha seat (I presume it's for the Yammy?) that could be adapted to fit. Y'know - apply a bit of Kiwi ingenuity to it? If it's some really crappy thing from a wrecker or summat, it could be reupholstered for naff all. I've had a couple of seats reupholstered, and it didn't cost that much, but they're only stretched and stapled on, so you could easily do it yourself. Yes?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick about all this?

I have reupholstered the beemer seat in the rebuild. Used vinyl, and copied the old pattern. One hell of a hard to get it the right shape on a contoured seat. But possible. Also takes a bit of work to stretch it on. Often you need to apply heat to encourage it to stretch. Otherwise you end up repinning it every ride as it stretches. We also managed to fix some gaping holes in the foam, by getting some automotive seat foam offcuts and gluing them in, then "grinding" off the excess to fit with a grinder and a disc. Every seat cover I have had off, I've put some thin plastic under to stop water soaking through. Means when the seat gets wet all the water just wipes off instead of soaking back up into your butt for the next half hour... much improved :done:

For the record, the beemer seat cover took me and my brother 3 days from old one off to new one on. That includes cutting new pieces, planning shape, sewing and resewing, and putting the damn thing on. Looks ok now though.

Motu
7th April 2004, 22:00
Looks bloody horrible - but it's a good match for the bike,well...a good match would help it a lot I'd say.

riffer
8th April 2004, 07:58
Jackrat - there's one on trademe for $60.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0001-0026-0135-/auction-10377155.htm

Fibreglass bottom but looks ok.

8th April 2004, 21:44
Looks bloody horrible - but it's a good match for the bike,well...a good match would help it a lot I'd say.

lmao cheers motu :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FROSTY
15th April 2004, 21:49
hey jack--I've got an old mag giving details on how to stiffen up the xs650
Ill dig it out for ya

Jackrat
16th April 2004, 13:08
Thanks again for all the advice an such.
I walked into my Brothers fishing shop and there on the shelf was heaps of the stuff :doh:
I also have all the good stuff on improving the XS handling so once again thanks but I'm right for now. :niceone:

riffer
16th April 2004, 13:39
Now why didn't I think of a fishing shop?

They don't have any FZR bits there too, do they?

FROSTY
16th April 2004, 22:43
I was in atomic wreckers today---saw a single seat cowl for a smaller seat--might be good for your bike