PDA

View Full Version : Would you replace crashed in leathers

Big Chim
28th February 2006, 18:39
We'll after the episode last friday was wondering what poples opinions were on replaceing leathers that have hit the road. only a jacket which is a bit scuffed up, the stitching hasent pulled and there are no holes although it is slightly cut if thats the right word, where and edge has gone in an pulled the leather back abit but not all the way through. these points have the armour underneath.

Replace the armour???

Was a low speed crash, slide and roll.

Just interested in seeing what the general concensus is.

Thanks for your input

Buster
28th February 2006, 18:49
Scuffs and scrapes make you look like a hard bastard. Makes for good story telling when non riders ask what happened. Your leathers should be sweet from the sounds of it. :headbang:

DirtMad
28th February 2006, 18:59
you shouldve taken a pic so we could see your battle scuffs :shifty:

kiwifruit
28th February 2006, 19:02
if they are only damaged cosmeticly, i wouldnt replace them.
if you are worried they might not protect you as well (if there is a) next time, then sure, replace them
my 0.02

ps. pics? :)

Big Chim
28th February 2006, 19:04
its still over at my olds will get some photos when i'm over there next

R1madness
28th February 2006, 19:10
Na man the scuffs are battle scars. Keep them and wear it with pride. If the stiching has suffered you can take them to a leather shop and get them restitched but they sound fine. Lets face it racers dont replace their leathers when they crash. New leathers attract the asphelt.

k14
28th February 2006, 19:16
scuffs are all good, even if there is a rip in them just get it repaired. alot cheaper than new ones. leathers aren't like helmets, as many crashes as you last the leathers will last longer.

Waylander
28th February 2006, 19:19
Dude, you've seen my jacket. Shot by fireworks, tossed down the road and so on and it'sstill kicking. Just.

Sucks about your wreck mate.

Mental Trousers
28th February 2006, 19:38
Unless your leathers are seriously munted I'd just go for a bit of patching if needed and someone to restitch it where it's needed.

sunhuntin
28th February 2006, 19:39
would bother unless they were so badly shredded there was no longer a reason to wear them.

Motu
28th February 2006, 19:55
I haven't worn my leather jacket for 5 years,but got it out on sunday for my son to wear on a ride we did together....it was a nostalgic moment....as I wiped it down and traced each scar,remembering how each one got there....wondering why there weren't more....surely I did more damage than that.Those BSA,Norton and Moto Guzzi badges meant something at the time.Then the pride seeing my son wearing it.Don't throw away your leathers man,I regret tossing out the one that preceeded the one I have left....

myvice
28th February 2006, 20:42
Just replaced mine, now on my 3rd set!
Reasons I got new ones, 4 out of the 6 hard armour inserts where split, torn shoulder stitching, liner was totalled, blood stain down the front, Velcro melted off on the left knee, zip toggle missing, pocket zip broken, scuffs and deep grazes over all the important bits, stretch panels naked, and a couple of holes where I had worn through...
Apart from that, they’re not too bad!

ajturbo
28th February 2006, 20:46
when i used to fall off i used to just put another patch of leather on my knees ( this was BEFORE sliders were invented).. i think there are about 6 layers of leather there now... no i didn't have to repalce the patch each time,,, sometimes i landed on my butt, arm, back, chest, someone else, ..:motu:

naughtygirl
28th February 2006, 20:54
hard ta say without seeing it :) any chance of a pic?

FROSTY
28th February 2006, 21:19
NOO YOU FOOOLS--YOU ARE ALL WRONG.
All crashed in leather must be forwarded for immediate distruction.
Send to --Chateu Frosty

loosebruce
28th February 2006, 21:27
Ahh the beauty of leather, if the seam aint broke and theres no holes in it i wouldn't worry about it, as said Chicks Dig Scars (buy the DVD it rocks).
I'm having to look at replacing mine, not too damaged, they've shrunk on me.

beyond
28th February 2006, 21:30
Yeah mate. If they still hang together, keep them and repair the real bad bits. Once you are too fat for them (around 40ish plus) or lose an arm or leg off them, then maybe time for a change. <_<

sugilite
28th February 2006, 21:34
I've thrown myself of my motard bike a fair bit of late, i found the local upholster does a much cheaper job than dedicated leather maker repairer...and just as good too.
He seems to only charge $15 to $20 a patch!