PDA

View Full Version : Gekko Guard rain repellant

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 17:00
Well I had hoped to be able to give a review of Gekko Guard rain reppellant, but every time I put on the jacket I treated with it it stops raining.

I saw it in a bike shop in Taupo and thought for a Eco freindly Ozone safe product it cant work to well, but at $26.95 I had to try it.

So two months ago I washed my jacket and applied it (my jacket had started to leak). I thought it would work by making rain bead like the label said.

So far the only evidence that it works is that I have tried to go riding in the rain to test it several times. Small problem is that it stops raining by the time I get my helet on every time. :eek5:

Having said that my jacket feels softer, smells nicer, the colours are back to looking like new and it is warmer at speed.

It says it is good for up to eight machine washes or two years in sunlight.

Just as soon as I get to try it in the rain I will let you know how well it works.

SPman
7th April 2004, 17:11
Small problem is that it stops raining by the time I get my helet on every time. :eek5: Well, what are you complaining about! It obviously works! :whistle:

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 17:19
Well, what are you complaining about! It obviously works! :whistle:
I'm not really complaining although I am now suspicious that
A: I may have applied so much that it is affecting weather patterns :devil2:
B: I may end up replacing the jacket (tech jackets are only supposed to be good for a couple of years (weekend warrior style) but I have been wearing mine daily for 2 years) before finding out one way or the other about it working. :laugh:

erik
7th April 2004, 18:30
I applied Gecko guard to my gear over a month ago because my pants weren't entirely waterproof (thread about it here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2077&page=1&pp=15)). I've been riding to uni 4 days a week since then, and I haven't had to ride in anything more than a bit of drizzle, so I haven't been able to test if it works either.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 18:38
See it is so good it changes weather patterns!

Motu
7th April 2004, 19:41
Could you go for a ride on Good Friday? I'm going south and would like some fine weather.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 19:47
Could you go for a ride on Good Friday? I'm going south and would like some fine weather.
Where too?

Hitcher
7th April 2004, 20:44
So is it made from free-range geckos or genetically modified ones??

LB
8th April 2004, 05:45
BigDog: On Good Friday can you please also ride from Wellington to Turangi via the Paraparas/Taumarunui/SH41? Please? I'll pay for the gas, honest.

Ghost Lemur
8th April 2004, 09:00
Big Dog and erik - You guys should each send of an email to the company letting them know about the weather controlling properties of their product. :D

Big Dog
8th April 2004, 15:17
So is it made from free-range geckos or genetically modified ones??
Seriously genetically modified free range water repellant Geckos :lol:

Big Dog
8th April 2004, 15:20
Big Dog and erik - You guys should each send of an email to the company letting them know about the weather controlling properties of their product. :D
It does say Water Repellant not proofing, treatment or resistant. Perhaps they already know and are just not saying anything to avoid a legal drama IF I do eventually get rained on! :lol:

In the mean time I say rock on Gecko Guard! :Punk:
At least I smell nicer now! :ride:

Big Dog
8th April 2004, 15:23
BigDog: On Good Friday can you please also ride from Wellington to Turangi via the Paraparas/Taumarunui/SH41? Please? I'll pay for the gas, honest.
I'd love to, If I knew where any of those places were. :o

Like I have said elsewhere I need to :ride: more of this country. One day.............

duckman
8th April 2004, 15:30
Does it work on Leather or just synthetic gear ??

Big Dog
8th April 2004, 16:15
The bottle says it will tret leather but that you should use several lighter sprays to get it to soak in.

The label is kind of funny it goes on about being for out dooor funiture etc then in the last sentence it says "Coverage: 2-3 Jackets depending on weight of material."

What?
9th April 2004, 20:17
Well I had hoped to be able to give a review of Gekko Guard rain reppellant, but every time I put on the jacket I treated with it it stops raining..
So this stuff repels rain, not simply the water on your jacket, huh?
Gonna get me some of that!

Big Dog
16th April 2004, 17:18
Success at last! I think?

The other day after raining for six hours ( :eek: )while I was at work I walked to the Car park.... and it fined up( :weep: )!

Hit the NW. Get to waterview and I think it rained the rest of the way home.I say I think cos my visor got wet, my bike got wet, hell the roads that had been drying were getting wet. :msn-wink:

Get home, Bike is wet, check!
Visor is wet, check!
I am dry, check!
Take my gloves off, they arte wet check.
Feel the jacket to make sure it got wet, nup bone dry. Like it had been in the hot water cupboard overnight. :wacko:

So I still have absolutly no idea how well it works. It either works better than a roof or every raindrop managed to miss my jacket.

Trying it in the shower would be unfair as it is a different pressure and saturation..... but it is tempting just to know.

LB
17th April 2004, 04:30
A few years ago one of our mates was having trouble finding a waterproof jacket - the shop kept giving him new ones that didn't work. We put him on his bike in our driveway and sprayed him with a hose - it kind of sounds silly putting it in writing, but it was funny at the time.

erik
19th April 2004, 01:05
I rode up to Leigh last wednesday with my brother, it rained a bit on the way there, and then really set in once we got there right until we got back home.
So I guess that proves that it doesn't control weather patterns...
I also found that it doesn't seal seams/stitching on pants, when I got home, my trousers under my bike pants were totally soaked.

But then I guess it's only advertised as a water repellant, not a sealant.

Big Dog
17th May 2004, 18:51
Well having finnally been rained on a coupl of times. It can take about an hour of rain before it starts to leak EXCEPT where water pools eg. In the cuffs if you tuck them into the glove like I used to until I worked it out, and in the bit where rain runs of the tank onto my zip. My navel stays dry unless I lean forward.

The short answer is this stuff rocks :rockon: My jacket is now as effective as when I bought it (two years old now) and only leaks when it is saturated (dipped in water).

Big Dog
10th May 2014, 02:56
Massive dredge. Over 10 years. I thought to myself I wonder where my nearest stockist is, ask google. Google couldn't find a stockist, but I was amused to see this thread was the number one search result.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

yevjenko
10th May 2014, 12:22
Wow. That must set a record the biggest dredge ever...

sent from my phone (so scuze auto correct typos)

sil3nt
10th May 2014, 15:37
First result in google for me was http://www.rrsport.co.nz/product/Gecko-Guard-275-Ml-Water-Repellant?p=27793

Ender EnZed
10th May 2014, 16:07
Just to be clear, you used this stuff on textile rather than leather gear?

How did it really work over time (other than warding off bad weather)?

Ender EnZed
10th May 2014, 16:11
First result in good for me was http://www.rrsport.co.nz/product/Gecko-Guard-275-Ml-Water-Repellant?p=27793

Also:

http://www.earthseasky.co.nz/gecko-guard.html

and

http://motorcyclegear.co.nz/gecko-guard-water-repellent.html

Looks like you can still buy it pretty easy if you want to.

Big Dog
10th May 2014, 18:31
Just to be clear, you used this stuff on textile rather than leather gear?

How did it really work over time (other than warding off bad weather)?
With the help of a couple of goes with the sport wash that jacket was retired 3 years later. The navel always leaked, but it wasn't till the third winter the fabric started getting heavier when it rained.

Same result when the replacement jacket was treated.

I have heard others only got half a winter but they admitted to not following the directions properly and putting one heavy dose on instead of several light doses.

Big Dog
10th May 2014, 18:36
Also:

http://www.earthseasky.co.nz/gecko-guard.html

and

http://motorcyclegear.co.nz/gecko-guard-water-repellent.html

Looks like you can still buy it pretty easy if you want to.

Google must censor results.

vifferman
10th May 2014, 19:05
've sorta gone full circle with respect to weather-proofing. I used to wear Line7 gear over my bike clobber, then tried a full one-piece suit over leathers (the worst thing out - it's like being a "boil-in-the-bag chicken" if there's even the suggestion of a hint of solar radiation), then went to technical gear, then even more technical and expensive with goretex liners, and now I've gone back to leathers (including the very expensive technical pants and jacket) with cheapish but effective vinylish wet-weather gear over the top. Except for my gloves and boots, which are both pretty well deisgned, still newish, and still waterproof.

Big Dog
10th May 2014, 19:43
I am just trying to weigh up the options of returning to leather and overs for winter and using my textiles for inclement weather only.

Big Dog
10th May 2014, 19:44
I have no commited yet but hat is the way I am leaning. Textiles wear out much faster and cost more.

Ender EnZed
10th May 2014, 22:24
a full one-piece suit over leathers (the worst thing out - it's like being a "boil-in-the-bag chicken"

That's my proper wet weather option. I really hope it rains after I've gone through the effort of putting it on.

These days, if its less than six hours until destination + hot shower and I don't have to put saturated leathers on the next day then I just settle for being rained on and getting wet. It's really not that bad.