PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone BT-090

limbimtimwim
28th February 2006, 23:08
Dan from Sawyers race on them in Formula 3 on a RVF400 (Same model as this bike), and said they were good. So following his advice, I got a pair.

In my case these tyres are the recommended size.
Front: 120/60
Rear: 150/60

I tried scrubbing them in, but failed terribly and had huge untouched portions on the tyres when I went to the trackday on Saturday.

I am no bike veteran, so I cannot really compare them to other tyres. But I still feel I have got a reasonable impression of them.

Visually, the tyres are look good. The groves are deep and wide. The rear tyre does not have grooves going all the way to the edge, but then I shouldn't be leaning it over that far in the wet anyway. This does of course may mean extra grip in the dry when leaned right over. The rear tyre is quite 'pointy' looking while the front is quite round. The grooves go all the way to the edge on the front. Compared to the rears I was eyeing up at the trackday, they all looked like pancakes in comparison.

During the trackday I had a tiny slide for no real reason on the first session, when the tyres and the track were cold (It was chill at the start of the day). I suspect the tyre takes a little while to warm up, but I didn't experience any further problems of that kind later in the day, so it could have been nerves as well.

As the day progressed I found I could lean the bike over at speed like I have never done before in my life. No chicken strips now. I touched down a peg and laughed instead of crashing. I also found I could pin the throttle as soon as I dared on the exit of corners while still leaned right over with no threat of spin. On the old tyres (A Bridgestone BT-92f at the front, a Bridgestone Cyrox at the back) I found I could run wide, the bike understeering in a gentle way. Not so on these, it went everywhere I wanted it to, no problem. At the same time, the bike didn't tip in too quickly, which helped me feel in control.

The tyres took the punishment of the trackday in their stride, after a session they looked a little haggard, but not nearly as bad as I could rip up the old Cyrox rear. This was quite a suprise, I was expecting the 'softer' tyres to fall to bits. Looking at the tyres now in the shed, the ride home seems to have smoothed them off again. Both tyres have retained the shape, the front not threatening to wear into 'V' shape, nor the rear wanting to getting a flat centre.

The only problem I have with the tyres is a reduction in stability from the front wheel. Full throttle, near max-revs clutchless first to second gear shifts result in a twitch of the handlebars. One corner at Manfield had a strip of new surface running across the track on the exit of a corner, exactly where I was going from first to second, hitting this during the change made it worse, giving about 4 bigger shakes of the bars. But wasn't scary, no need to back off. I found any bump on a corner makes it want to twitch slightly as well, but in a lesser manner.

I could use the front brake as hard as I dared on the straights and the corners and I felt safe. Never touched the rear, this bike just doesn't like it. I used the rear a lot on my old bike though. It has taken me a while to 'unlearn'.

The ride back on public roads (Which are, in a way, of a better surface than Manfield) felt good too, and I was braking later and harder, cornering faster and getting on the gas much earlier than before.

I have not had these tyre on anything more than a slightly damp road, so I can't comment on that.

But in all, for the little RVF, these tyres feel good. They are have more than enough grip for me right now. If you have a 400, and you don't like your tyres, try these. It appears from the 'line up' link on the webpage that they make a 150/60 tyre in an 18" rim, so you VFR400 owners could use this tyre too.

And a link, that probably won't work: http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/bfe/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c461f5ee10355010VgnVCM10000051 01a10aRCRD

rustys
3rd March 2006, 16:22
:yeah: Not a bad tyre the BT090s,i have raced on them on my ZXR400 Kawasaki and they lasted for eight race meetings 3 at Taupo and 6 at Manfield. They do take a little to warm up but they work well once nice and hot, very predictable tyre to ride on they wont let go suddenly,like Mich'es.Also not to bad in the wet as well. Lots guys out there racing on these tyres, and not to badly priced either.
Re the front shaking have you checked your wheel balance?
Racing i have been runing 32psi front 36psi rear.
On new brand new tyres i spray on them CRC brake clean this gets all that oily film of them before going for a ride, makes the tyre nice and sticky,cuts down the scrub in process.
Hope this helps.

Having fun and "
GROWING OLD DISGRACEFULLY"

sAsLEX
21st March 2006, 21:14
I have an 010 on the rear whats the diff to a 090?? Mine is a bit more commutty *new word* though

limbimtimwim
22nd March 2006, 13:25
I have an 010 on the rear whats the diff to a 090?? Mine is a bit more commutty *new word* thoughWebsite says the tyre is designed for middle-sized bikes. The sizes availible reflect that I guess, biggest is a 160 rear. The 090 has a lower speed rating as well; 210km/h instead of 270. Which is a bit more realistic for our 400s :-) .

Two Smoker
22nd March 2006, 13:37
to stop the wobble i recommend going to a 120/70 (should fit under your mudgaurd) and 160/60... Far more stabe at greater lean angles...

But i also recommend Pirelli Supercorsa's if you are more track orientated...More grip from the rear tyre and you get a range of compounds...

But then again what would i know....

sAsLEX
22nd March 2006, 22:06
to stop the wobble i recommend going to a 120/70 (should fit under your mudgaurd) and 160/60... Far more stabe at greater lean angles...

But i also recommend Pirelli Supercorsa's if you are more track orientated...More grip from the rear tyre and you get a range of compounds...

But then again what would i know....

dunno but I get my tires off you! abouttime you upgraded to an 18inch rear I think