PDA

View Full Version : suzuki boulevard S40 2006

nrthinsth
1st March 2006, 09:59
This is the new single cylinder 652cc model released, it is offered for sale at $6995.00 + on rd costs.

Question.. is this a good bike or is going to be the "GN250" of the 250cc range? ie= slow but reliable.

The bike looks really good and i like the idea of being a "single banger".

please any thoughts on this bike would be greatfully recieved

thanks to all who help me out

J

crashe
1st March 2006, 10:04
Welcome to KB..... most of them here don't bite.... :rofl:

Some of the lads here know this bike... and will be able to answer your questions.

Or any other questions you may have about bikes.....

Have a look around the rest of the sections on here as well.
Lots of helpful suggestions and ideas on here..

There are a few riders on here that are down your way.......

nrthinsth
1st March 2006, 10:14
thanks,

also need to know if these bikes are ok for pillion passengers, i weigh about 89kg and da missus is "about" 75kg, can this bike handle it, i ride from invergiggles to Aucks fairly regularly so needs to be an easy ride with two up. And i can't afford the 800cc boulevard

Hitcher
1st March 2006, 12:08
The renamed 650 Savage. Sigh. I really don't get this model at all. Buy a proper cruiser.

magicfairy
1st March 2006, 13:04
thanks,

also need to know if these bikes are ok for pillion passengers, i weigh about 89kg and da missus is "about" 75kg, can this bike handle it, i ride from invergiggles to Aucks fairly regularly so needs to be an easy ride with two up. And i can't afford the 800cc boulevard

I have had a white 2005 S40 for about 5 months. Bought it new. You either like them or not, I love it. I haven't had any problems at all.

Pros - great bike if you are very short (I am only 5ft), want something that is simple and reliable. Very light and easy to ride. Simple to work on, perfect for someone that wants to do all their own maintenance.

Cons - not really a 2 up bike, pillion seat is rubbish and it is a pretty gutless bike for a 650. (But you can get an aftermarket seat I guess)
Tuned very lean, backfires a lot. Small petrol tank. Vibrates a bit at higher speeds. Gets blown about in the wind too, being so light.

No petrol guage, petrol light or tripmeter (what were Suzuki thinking?) - you are supposed to wait till it chokes and switch to reserve!

I bought a 4 digit luggage lock, fixed it to the brake reservior and every time I fill up, I just dial in the current speedo reading. I managed to get 200ks without going to reserve but 160 is more likely round town.

To address the lean running, lack of power, backfire issues I have a slip-on exhaust and K&N filter on their way from the US, adding those plus some carb mods will make a huge difference. (Details at the web site below)

I am not sure I'd want to do longer distances 2-up though on it, I suspect you will find it uncomfortable and lacking power.

To read just about everything there is to know about these bikes, and then some .. check out www.suzukisavage.com

My 2 cents

scumdog
1st March 2006, 13:12
Workmate bought one new, happy as a pig in shit with it (but he's short in stature).

Two up? You wouldn't want to be in a rush.

vs04
1st March 2006, 17:06
Two up might be a struggle over long distances,as far as reliability goes you can,t fault them.Lacking power?,depends what you want to do,a freind of mine has a 650 savage,same bike different name,she has no trouble sitting on 110k,s all day when we ride,not fast by sportbike standards but then again it,s a cruiser,nice bike imo.:2thumbsup

Stopper Dan
1st March 2006, 18:29
No one ever really listens to me but... Why buy a Harley lookalike? Because its cheap, id go for a touring bike, if thats the style you like though, sportys (harley sportster) are realitively cheap and can be made to go fast.. my 2 cents worth

Troll
1st March 2006, 18:51
Why buy a Harley lookalike? Because its cheap, sportys (harley sportster) are realitively cheap and can be made to go fast..

price you pay for a new suzzie would go a long way towards a second hand883 sporty

sporty has excellent resale value, bullit proof reliability and can be punched out to 1200cc for less than $1000 for more power

your choice your money but what will the suzuki be worth in 3 years time and what would the harley be worth??

Motu
1st March 2006, 19:08
Neat bike,but I was disapointed in the motor.It looks like a long stroke single,but it doesn't thump from down low...you have to rev the tits off it,and that just doesn't suit it's layed back image - I'd like some bottom end pulling power from it.I just love to lay a bike like that into the corners and send sparks flying....I found the handling pretty stable.

You can't park a Harley and walk away from it for half an hour - that's the most disapointing thing about them,pity about that.....

Troll
1st March 2006, 21:19
You can't park a Harley and walk away from it for half an hour -

you can park it and walk away ................... it just won't there when you get back!!

Virago
3rd March 2006, 17:51
An interesting review of the S40:

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Blvds40/

Good luck!