PDA

View Full Version : Bike protest at parlimant ground,,, Would you come,,

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 10:53
Hello fellow bikers, Im wondering if we had the numbers on parliment grounds could we put pressure on the government to reduce ACC levies on our registration and many other problems associated with motorcycling. Im wondering if there are many people that woud join the cruisade, Please feel free to comment. This is just to get a feel of numbers.:grouphug:

skelstar
1st March 2006, 10:58
Edit to read 'bike protest'

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 11:02
Edit to read 'bike protest'

I agree, although the typo did catch my eye, otherwise I wouldn't have read the post at all...

SpankMe
1st March 2006, 11:03
Been done (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2), fuck all good it did.

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 11:04
um, to the actual message though, would come, but it's a wee bit too far (being in Hamilton on a learner's and everything), hope the protest works out well...

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:12
only a short hop from hamilton, I had a conversation with one of the members of this group half an hour ago and we came to the dicision that to winge does bugger all, We need to get togeather as a group to make change within the motorcycle arena, If no one is willing to step up or put pressure on this government nothing will change i can guarentee that. We pay way to much for bikes to be on the road and its time for a change.

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 11:12
edit the post, down the bottom are options for a poll. add a poll, and that'll help with the numbers.

like spank touches on, i do wonder what good it'll do. but don't try, don't get. and i'm willing to try

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:13
spankme, That dosnt tell me if you would be there or not, The last one was done 10-15 years ago, Long time has passed since then,

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:16
cheers bugjuice

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 11:18
no probs..

is it just the acc levies tho? I thought it started off on the way we're testing for our license etc. Granted, there'd be a knock-on effect. A plan needs to be put into place in the bigwigs place, to make the changes effective

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:33
Yes i aggree but if we start with something that is unfair in the extreem we may get a better result, once there is a win in place it will be more likely to inforce change.

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 11:36
actually, I just had to fork out for the bike and for the car rego for the year.

Bike = $250 and a few cents
Car = $200 ' '

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:40
Yea i know the feeling i have 2 bikes and a scooter. costs a small fortune,

Postie
1st March 2006, 11:42
whats the big deal with paying ACC levies, stop bitching and get on with it. Once you have a half decent accident, you will start to appreciate how little you actually contribute to ACC through your rego. a couple of hundred dollars a year is hardly much, i bet most people pay double that on private health insurance in a year and barely use it.
complain about gas prices, helmet duty or licence issues but fuck, with out ACC, alot of bikers would be a lot worse off, myself included.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 11:46
Yea im sure you have crashed alot, thats why you are happy to pay, The reality is cars crash into bikes. 80 percent of bike acicdents are caused by car drivers, and we pay more than cars for registration is this fair,,,,, I think not. This would be the start not the finish of something, If you read above you will se that there are many different problems associated with bikes, We can only start with one,

Postie
1st March 2006, 11:48
Yea im sure you have crashed alot, thats why you are happy to pay, The reality is cars crash into bikes. 80 percent of bike acicdents are caused by car drivers,

yeah i crash every day, so what.

where did you get your 80% statistics from?

Ixion
1st March 2006, 11:50
Yea im sure you have crashed alot, thats why you are happy to pay, The reality is cars crash into bikes. 80 percent of bike acicdents are caused by car drivers, ..

I doubt this figure. There are a hell of a lot of single vehicle bike crashes. ACC is a "no fault" scheme. All the ACC Corp do is look at how much money they've paid out to bike riders and divide by the number of registered bikes.

What IS unfair is that you pay multiple times for multiple vehicles. I own 6 ! But can only ever ride /drive one at a time. That, I would protest about. ACC are insuring ME not my vehicle, so the levy should be based on ME not my vehicle. Simple, right ?

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 11:52
I doubt this figure. There are a hell of a lot of single vehicle bike crashes. ACC is a "no fault" scheme. All the ACC Corp do is look at how much money they've paid out to bike riders and divide by the number of registered bikes.

What IS unfair is that you pay multiple times for multiple vehicles. I own 6 ! But can only ever ride /drive one at a time. That, I would protest about. ACC are insuring ME not my vehicle, so the levy should be based on ME not my vehicle. Simple, right ?

You have a really good point... maybe it should be more than just the biking community that should be protesting to the government...

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 11:56
whats the big deal with paying ACC levies, stop bitching and get on with it. Once you have a half decent accident, you will start to appreciate how little you actually contribute to ACC through your rego. a couple of hundred dollars a year is hardly much, i bet most people pay double that on private health insurance in a year and barely use it.
complain about gas prices, helmet duty or licence issues but fuck, with out ACC, alot of bikers would be a lot worse off, myself included.
I agree with you (especially after going thru with you, what happened).

It's not a case of chopping off the ACC. We do need that. But why not increase car levies by $30 and reduce ours by $20? That way, we both pay the same, and hey - ACC have just made an extra $10...

But by changing some of the laws that have been outlined before (like 70kph restriction) and by better training by both car drivers and bike riders, and just some damn better awareness by all, the ACC won't be needed as much, and we can live better.

I think the points of the thread are being lost. SW, list up in bullets, exactly what you're after. Then we're all clear on the same issue.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:06
so im paying for you postie, Yea thats fair.

skelstar
1st March 2006, 12:06
The consequences of being in an accident is far more serious on a bike than in a car. Consequently the cost of healthcare/compensation is higher. Nothing to do with who causes the accident.

Postie
1st March 2006, 12:07

yeah you are, cheers :motu:

*sic
1st March 2006, 12:18

hey if it helps other riders heal up easier i gladly pay my extra bit!

chill out and take a sip from the hard stream.

ManDownUnder
1st March 2006, 12:21
Been done (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2), fuck all good it did.

I'm glad Edison didn't think like that...

skelstar
1st March 2006, 12:21
Yeah, Id have to agree re: the hard stream call.
I think we would run the risk of sounding hypocritical if we race around the streets defying speed limits, and complain about how much we pay for compensation if we f*ck up.

Ok admittedly a loose association but you get my drift.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:24
Ok so lets all just sit back let the price go higher and higher due to no one wanting to support anything being done, We are all to lazy or bad riders and dont give a shit. For those that dont go out and crash every second day it gets a tad anoying that im paying for you,

End result,

A drunk driver runs into a group of people and they all need treatment, who do we charge the hurt people or the drunk driver.......

they hit us we pay mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gotta love politics

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:30
so do you realise that mopeds who are riden by car drivers generally, also come under motorcycle crashes,,, so you are paying for them to, how does that make you feel,,,,, They dont even need training or a licence and you pay for them,

emaN
1st March 2006, 12:35
Just a tho't, dunno how ludicrously ludicrous it is....

Would it be possible to form a Company

then register all our bikes (as in everyone's on KB for eg) as business vehicles of this Company

then "the Comapany" refuses to pay until they review their pricing policies?

Cos if i refuse to pay as an individual, it won't make an iota of difference.. Writing to local MP? yeh, right.

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 12:37
someone needs to cough up for a spin Dr that's got the right contacts in the right places.

Or just need to sit with someone face to face and ask.
May be see if Cambell would be arsed..

madboy
1st March 2006, 12:38
I agree that riding a motorcycle predisposes you to a significantly higher risk of being involved in an injury accident. However I have a fundamental problem with a system that penalises the innocent and vulnerable party. An insured 4wd with bull bars crashes into my insured car. My car will likely need new panels and extensive repair work. The 4wd may need a new indicator lense. Do I pay for their indicator lense when they were at fault? I don't think so.

So when a car u-turns in front of my bike and sticks me in hospital for a few weeks, who should be paying for that? Me. I'll be paying for it. It's reflected in the ACC levy that I pay. Just like when any farm boy wipes out the quad, or anyone crashes a trail bike. It all comes out of my road bike ACC levy.

It's not a very fair or equitable system. I can understand that it is simplistic and no doubt easy to administer. But this society thrives on what's easy, not on what's right. And therein lies the problem. NZ society. Nothing's gonna change that dumbass attitude.

I would be even more offended if I actually did pay the rego on my bike!

Colapop
1st March 2006, 12:39
I'll be there bike or not. I suggest that you promote this far and wide and the numbers will improve.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:42
i agree,

Im thinking so far these are the points of interest.

1, Lower acc costs to all motorcycles,
2, Remove taxes on safety gear, (This would lower injury then treatment cost)
3, Better training to all new motorcyclists, (ie) on road assessment as part of handling skills,
4, Change 70k law to 100k during restricted period.

skelstar
1st March 2006, 12:43
Skys the limit in issues eh?
What about 'bike friendly road construction'? ie pothole covers on corners, ped crossings on corners, cheese-cutters and the like?

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:44
hello colapop, Yes i aggree but this is the first step, Just getting a feel,

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:45
yea it is,,, Cheese cutters have been a problem for ever,,, but im just getting a feel, any ideas,,

bugjuice
1st March 2006, 12:47
my 2¢ -

1) can't just remove it, cos treatment won't reduce in costs. I think pass on half the diff to cages, make it a level board for all.

2) not a bad idea. Make it more affordable for everyone

3) car drivers too. You could be the best rider in the world, and get taken out by a dumbarsed cager

4) during learners..

chch_zed
1st March 2006, 12:50
ACC levies should be charged to drivers not vehicles. Its is drivers that cause crashes.

That way they can assess everyone in the same way that insurance companies do. If you are a high risk you pay heaps, if you are a low risk you pay less.

This way the people who cause the crashes pay for the damage they do.

A few years ago I got knocked off my bike at a roundabout by a stupid cow in a 4WD. She go a $375 fine for careless use, I reckon it cost me about $2,500 to $3,000 lost wages (ACC only pay 80%) extra running costs while my bike was off the road, prescriptions (ACC only subsidise) and physio (again ACC only subsidise).

For all this I get charged more simply because of what I have chosen as my mode of transport.

Then to top this all off, you then get comments from other stupid bitches who also drive 4WD's....." Thats what you get for riding a motorcycle"

F@#K, that turned into a bit of a rant, didn't it.

Anyway, count me in.

skelstar
1st March 2006, 12:50
I think you would have to suggest changes that were not going include increased costs/commitment for cagers (tests/levies). The caging community (ie AA) are too vocal. Their Kungfu is much stronger than ours.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:54
1, Lower acc costs to all motorcycles and increase cars to cover,
2, Remove taxes on safety gear, (This would lower injury then treatment cost)
3, Better training to all new motorcyclists, (ie) on road assessment as part of handling skills,
4, Change 70k law to 100k.

Ixion
1st March 2006, 12:57
Problem with (3) is that they can't get an L licence until AFTER they pass the BHT. And they can't ride on-road without the L licence. Catch 23

EDIT: Actually (3) would make the BHT in effect into the Restricted test. Cos how are they to acquire on road skills without having ridden on-road ? And if they are going to ride on road to acquire the road skills, then we need a new test that they take before venturing out onto the road to acquire those skills . Catch 24

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 12:57
skelstar, no try no success, i like your terminology

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 13:01
thats true but you can have exemptions as an instructor to allow things like this to happen, ( I think ) But the reality is that motorcycle instructors before long will be issueing the licences anyway, same way that trucks have gone, CBTA

skelstar
1st March 2006, 13:05
Hee.
All Im saying is that if youre gonna have a go you are best to look at the 'solutions' from the other angle and see what the likelyhood of it working is. There isnt going to be a 'go back to your desk, have another look at the problem and come back to me.'
If you say, "its not our fault, its theirs!"...they'll say "we arent paying anymore!!!...besides, you live by the sword, you die by the sword" (or words to that effect.
Im only suggesting you come up with a different way of doing it. I dont know what it is.

Just playing devil's advocate. ;)

MisterD
1st March 2006, 13:26
Catch 23/24 etc

I know this going to sound like yet another POM "we do things better", but in this case the CBT (compulsory basic training) is far superior to the BHT.

Start with the cones in a car park, but with real-world situations, e.g how to take a right hand turn (check mirrors, signal, lifesaver, road position...etc etc)
Then if the instructor thinks you're competent, it's out onto the road in small groups (it was three riders when I did mine) with the instructor for a 30 minute evaluation before you can get your certificate.

***edit***
On on the subject of protesting at Parliament, well at least it should be easier for someone to ride a bike up the steps than it was to drive that tractor...

Ixion
1st March 2006, 13:30
Whn I was at Uni, there was a massive bike ride each year, through the grounds of schools, public buildings, anywhere we could get that we weren't supposed to. Think several THOUSAND bikes. Lots and lots of uni students rode bikes then.

We rode up LOTS of steps. Was a feature of the day. Steps is easy enough UNLESS you strike some that have a step to step distance (must be a word for it) that matches your wheel base. Then you get stuck.

Postie
1st March 2006, 13:39
your looking at the back of your rego sticker and seeing the large part that goes to ACC and you have a little cry. Cars also pay ACC but less on rego then a bike, this much is established. Are you aware that ACC also take a nice chunk out of your wallet when you fill up with petrol? Hence if you drive a gas guzzling 4X4 all year or a boy racer hairdrier then the amount of ACC that you pay for in gas will be far greater then if you ride around all year using a couple of tranks a week on a bike, it will even out, myabe not totally but it will be closer then you think. If i could be arsed (which i can't) then i could probably work out an average cost paid to ACC for a 600/1000 cc bike compared to a V6 petrol Isuzu Bighorn and it would probably be fairly close.
To make it fair, you should pay as you go, its a theory that has been quoted before, get rid off ACC levies on all road registration and bump up fuel to cover the cost, the more you drive, the more time you are on the road, the more chance on being involved in an accident. You would have used more fuel and so contributed more to ACC so you are entitled to being repaired with out people crying about howo they never crash but have to pay ACC.
Or make paying ACC optional, if you decide not to pay it on your rego then thats no problem but once you crash and require ACC, you get fuck all help. I wonder how many people will take that option.
Duty on helmets is close to criminal and should have never been alowed.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 14:33
well thats also a fair call, Remove acc levies from rego and add it to the petrol. This would make the user pays system much more fair???

The downfall is that there are to many options and opinions and this causes people not to be interested in trying to make a change, Im interested in getting bikes all over the parliment grounds from all over the country, if nothing else comes out of it at least they know that there is an organised bunch of motorcyclists that are looking after the interest of all,

sefer
1st March 2006, 15:42
Hey, not wanting to rain on your parade (or protest :) ) but you need to relises that there is more to making the type of protest you seem to be considering.

First up you need to identify the reason for the protest (which all seems a bit vague atm).

Second you need to be looking at creating an offical petition or lobby. There is some info here http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Resource-material-Community-Resource-Kit-SECTION-K-Political-Processes-and-Submissions?OpenDocument

Once you've done those things you can look at a protest, but it's important to relise that such a public protest is really only a media/public preception exercise. You orginise as many people as you can, issue a press release to the media (a MUST, media rarely just show up to events, they are invited via press release, sometimes months in advance). The idea being that if you have enough public awareness (and hopefully support) you force a desision.

Of couse there is nothing wrong with presenting other issues once you have the attention you want, but there should be at least one (maybe two) key focus issues (make them intresting ones that Joe Blow Public can relate to! Charging ACC for a individual, rather than a vehicle seems prefect, as most people can relate to that).

I'm not saying don't do it, not at all, many people will agree and that makes it worthwhile, I'm just making sure you know there is a little more to it than just showing up on the steps and reving your engine :)

sefer
1st March 2006, 15:46
These are probably the key bits you need to know

Petitioning Parliament

A Petition to the House of Representatives requests the House to take some action on a matter of public policy or law, or to deal with a local or a private grievance (such as amend the law, change Government policy, or hold a public inquiry into an unsatisfactory situation).

Anyone of any age can petition the House in either Mäori or English. The petition should include the name and address of the "Principal Petitioner" (a daytime phone number is also helpful). The Principal Petitioner is usually the person who has organised the petition, and the person sought by the Select Committee when more information is needed. They should sign the front page of the petition. Each page containing signatures should be headed with the petitioner's request. The language used should be respectful, moderate, and to the point. There should not be any documents attached to the petition. While media attention focuses on petitions with many signatures, one signature can be enough for a small matter.

Presenting the Petition

A petition has to be presented to the House through a Member of Parliament (presenting the petition does not necessarily mean that the MP agrees with it). The MP is also required to sign the front page.

The petition then goes to a Select Committee for consideration. The Committee might seek further information from the petitioner, from Government Departments and from other interested parties, and it might hear oral evidence. Petitioners who want to give oral evidence should state this clearly when giving information.

When reporting on a petition to the House, a Select Committee will generally either: report and make recommendations; make no recommendation at all (in this case no further action will be taken on the petition); or if the petition was considered with other business, acknowledge the petition in its report on the other business. Occasionally it will present a "narrative" report outlining the evidence and making recommendations.

The Government must report, within 90 days of the Committee's report being presented, on what action, if any, it has taken to implement the Select Committee's recommendations. Government reports on petitions are printed and available to the public.

Other Action First?

Petitioning may not always be the first course of action. The Ombudsmen can investigate and review some decisions, recommendations or acts of Government Departments, local authorities and related organisations (such as school boards). A petition will not be accepted if the matter is one that can be investigated by the Ombudsmen and the petitioner has not referred it there. You can contact the Office of the Ombudsmen (free phone 0800 802 602, email office@ombudsmen.govt.nz, www.ombudsmen.govt.nz) to see if your case should be referred there.

A petition will not be accepted if it can be dealt with by a court or a tribunal and has not been considered by one. A petition that is similar to other petitions that have already been considered by the House will only be considered if substantial and material new evidence has become available in the meantime.

kiwifruit
1st March 2006, 15:46
the law is an ass
i would attend.

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 15:55
Hello thanks for the info, At this stage im trying to gauge the support factor to something like this,. But i will need the info if it all goes ahead. But really if 10.000 bikes rolled into parliment grounds someone would listen, im sure of that,

Streetwise
1st March 2006, 15:56
also there are some mojor changes for motorcycles comming through with the LTNZ so now is the good time to ask the questions,

Shadows
1st March 2006, 23:55

Well then it had better be done again. Maybe a bit of road disruption would help. I'll be there. Twice. With friends. And with knobs on. Any excuse to piss off Helen sounds great to me.

aff-man
2nd March 2006, 06:41
Postie: Sure that a big V6 guzzels gas but then it's the owners choise to drive one.... It's like driving a mini which would run on the smell of an oily rag and driving a ferrari which you fill up every 100km.

Just becuase bikes have lower capacity engines doesn't mean it's a level playing field. If all rego's were the same then the only difference in paying ACC would be on the type of vehicle you chose to use. Thereby putting the cost off ACC in the end users hands instead of that choice being made for us..

Just my 2c worth.

Skyryder
4th March 2006, 17:51
For this to have any effect you would need a massive turnout by New Zealand's biker community. And while most here are sports riders you will not gernerate the media attention that this cause deserves unless you can incorperate the cruiser crowd. That coupled with a takeover of the parking metres in Wellington should get everyone's attention. There needs to be a fair bit of logistics put into this. The New Zealsnd biker community has the clout for change if it can organise itself properly.

Skyryder

Streetwise
5th March 2006, 06:12
Skyrider, Yes i would aggree that we can force change but there has to be input and help from many people, What i have found is that lots of people want change but just cant be bothered with the battle, "Want happen" "Been done before". so until we all can aggree that there are issues that need repairing its always going to be an uphill battle,

Skyryder
5th March 2006, 20:59
Skyrider, Yes i would aggree that we can force change but there has to be input and help from many people, What i have found is that lots of people want change but just cant be bothered with the battle, "Want happen" "Been done before". so until we all can aggree that there are issues that need repairing its always going to be an uphill battle,

Talk to some Ulysess people. Sound them out for participation. They are an older crowd and draw in all sorts of people. Lawyers, buisness types etc. You will only need a few hardcore to organise. Most people are followers not leaders.

The one piece of advice I would give is to keep your greviance short and simple. Do not try and take on all things, other wise everthing gets bogged down. You have mentioned ACC levies. This effects all bikers. It is probably too late into the summer for much too happen at the moment. So you have untill now and next riding season for something to happen. The other thing is that you need to plan in advance what weekend you are going to do this. Not much point if Parliment is in recess. The other thing is that if you organise a petition see that it is delivered to a member of the Government not the opposition.

Skyryder

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 11:04
Thanks for that info, Im going to make up a paper form of the petition and start to get it out there for signitures, As long as there is going to be support, Im finding it funny that there are alot of people that just dont care about how much they pay.

sefer
6th March 2006, 15:32
Remember to check the rules for the petition! One fuck-up (someone signing twice, not verifible, etc...) will invalidate the whole thing. Also remember you need an MP to present it. Doesn't have to be someone who supports it, but it'd help :)

Grumpy
6th March 2006, 16:16
There was a protest on this topic about 5 years ago and as I recall it did have an effect. Since then the rego has reduced a little, not much but the major result was the proposed increases that were suggested were dropped.

It would pay to get hold of someone from Bronz to get the full story and I'm sure they would have some advice for you.

emaN
6th March 2006, 16:23
Looks like we're already getting somewhere then!

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 16:55
I tried to contact bronz but they seam to ignore people who ask the hard questions. i contacted 3 email addresses within there website and gor no reply,,, Not sure if that says anything about the organisation,,,

bladez
6th March 2006, 17:19
lets just set up tents and hold a rallie on there grounds :finger: and dont move untill they change the law :headbang:

Ixion
6th March 2006, 17:23
I tried to contact bronz but they seam to ignore people who ask the hard questions. i contacted 3 email addresses within there website and gor no reply,,, Not sure if that says anything about the organisation,,,

Only ones who seem to reply to emails are Otago, who are much more active than any of the others.

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 19:00
that might explain it

Skyryder
6th March 2006, 22:00
lets just set up tents and hold a rallie on there grounds :finger: and dont move untill they change the law :headbang:

Trouble is some of us have to go to work. But I admit a good ole ralley on the Parliment grounds..................mind you if there were thousands bet the cops would stop it.

Skyryder

Streetwise
7th March 2006, 08:33
Yea we dont have a wellington rally could be good.eahhhah

Streetwise
12th March 2006, 13:54
Very lttle interest, But still 75% of people would come,

kevie
9th April 2006, 20:59
The last ACC levy protest to parlament was 26th Oct 2002, I have pics of it on my website still.

The riders (final count about 800 bikes) started early from Auckland, picked up in numbers on way to Wellington where the petition was presented.
Did anyone take notice .......... nope ... even the media wasnt that interested lmao altho we did stop things in the town we passed through.

In the submission I put in, I mentioned I had had 2 injury accidents, both times taken out by a car at fault, yet I pay the ACC penalty for their bad driving.
Also mentioned the fact a large % of M/C accidents are offroaders which arent registered.

But to answer ... yeh provided I can get time off work I will again join the run to parlament.

Smorg
10th April 2006, 09:56
Yarda:violin:

kevie
10th April 2006, 10:25
Nah I think the count of heads on the 2002 rally was around 1200 people, and very limited police presence there, the rally was organized and peacefull, even had an MP as one of the riders and presenter of the petition (cant remember who he was tho), the only 2 MPs that we were met by was Rick Barker from the Labour Party and Heather Roy from ACT.
It was reported that also present in the crowd was Fraser Folster the Media Advisor for ACC.
While news media didnt seem interested raping and pillaging on the trip) I spoke later to a couple reatilers in Levin and they said the convoy of bikes brought Levin to a definate standstill as shoppers all went outside to watch us go through LOL
Not sure who organized the 2002 rally but was well executed.

Streetwise
14th April 2006, 00:03
It would be nice to organise another i think,,,, Just have to work throught he issues and make sure its a gower,

kevie
14th April 2006, 23:19
I dont think the objection is about the fact we pay ACC levies ... its more on the fact that many of the accidents involving motorcycles are either caused by a car or other vehicle catagory or they are offroaders of some sort and do not pay the registration therefore dont pay ACC levies and we get lumbered with it.

I recon the idea of having it lumped into petrol prices and taken off the registration of all catagories would be a fairer deal, and those that use the vehicle more pay more running on the thory that as they use more fuel theres a chance they are on the road more and pose a greater risk to being injured in an accident.

campbellluke
15th April 2006, 15:44
I think that it was better when bike Regos were closer to $300 rather than what they are now. Sadly people bitched about the ACC levy and under todays system you pay it back plus extra on Acc petrol tax. If you take off one tax, something is going to give. So when things are pretty sweet you shouldn't complain.

Lets say a family uses 2000 litres of petrol a year for their car. $100 is given to ACC.

I've never heard that cars were the largest factor in motorbike rider injuries. The crashes I've rode past are motorcyclist overcooking corners. And they seem to be highly overrepresented in stats for making mistakes like this.

However I can understand how people with multiple vehicles in their garage feel. Paying things a few times over.

The ACC difference with cars in the rego can be forgotten about with this system anyway. Because the majority of bikes use less fuel than cars.