PDA

View Full Version : NZ speeding in the UK

whatton63
8th April 2004, 09:07
I thought you might like to know we get to know about your triumphs in the UK. We face the same shit as you guys,

Cheers,
Whatton63

Check this link from our GS forum (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19618)

Rocket
8th April 2004, 09:09
just read taht this morning on another forum, nzgames.com/forums haha stupid copper couldnt even write out a speeding ticket, poor fool.

erik
8th April 2004, 11:51
:laugh:
I wonder if he would have still got off the ticket if he'd just written a plain and simple letter pointing out the errors in the ticket and asking them to waive it?
Does anyone know if they just follow a procedure and say "yep those errors mean the ticket gets waived" or if they decide to waive it depending on how entertaining/annoying the letter is that they receive?

Ghost Lemur
8th April 2004, 12:06
I wonder if he would have still got off the ticket if he'd just written a plain and simple letter pointing out the errors in the ticket and asking them to waive it?
Does anyone know if they just follow a procedure and say "yep those errors mean the ticket gets waived" or if they decide to waive it depending on how entertaining/annoying the letter is that they receive?

As far as I know, mistakes on the ticket are generally grounds for waiver. But I'm sure the entertaining nature of his letter certainly didn't hurt.

Jackrat
8th April 2004, 12:16
As far as I know, mistakes on the ticket are generally grounds for waiver. But I'm sure the entertaining nature of his letter certainly didn't hurt.
I just read an articule in BRM where a lawyer points out that mistakes in the ticket are over looked by our courts.Seems no mistake can be made in a criminal case but for a traffic ticket that all goe's out the window.They can also change the charge to suit themselfs at the last minite.
Looks like the real Crim's win again while ordinary people carry the can.
And they call it justice :confused2

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 12:18
Often wondered that myself. They must see some doozies tho.....and some shockers.

I am not sure on the limit to which the error becomes enuf to void a ticket....I am pretty sure that they have to be fairly accurate. The old argument goes - well if one thing is wrong with the ticket - how accurate is any of it. That is the logic I employed when I sent my letter in

Sometimes I wish they would reply rather than just the standard - this ticket is no longer being pursued response.

Wenier
8th April 2004, 16:30
If they forget to circle the demerits is that grounds to get off recieving those demerit points?

Skyryder
8th April 2004, 22:50
I have a friend who got off the ticket because his name was spelt wrong. All in all it is pretty hard to get off now days. Even if you are not at fault. i can remember a few years ago when we had traffic cops and I was booked on my bike for not stopping at a compulsary stop. I had stopped but because the cop did not see me put my feet down on the road, (I stopped and started) he claimed that I did not stop. Made no difference to the Judge even though I hired a lawer for this. Think I was fined $80 plus court costs plus lawers costs. I don't mind paying when I am caught fair and square but getting nailed because some cop had been wanking himself (they say it makes you go blind and he prooved it) realy upset me. But then I have had a few wins too but will save them for another day.

Skyryder

pete376403
8th April 2004, 22:58
Years ago I got a summons which had the registration number of my bike incorrect - I wrote to the court pointing out that I did not own, and had never owned a bike with this number. I thought that would be the end of if but a few weeks later I got another summons with the number correct.

moko
9th April 2004, 08:42
If a ticket`s wrong in any way in the U.K. and you can prove it it gets canned.We can also ask for a copy of the speed camera photo and i`ve heard of at least one guy who proved he was elsewhere and that the bike in the picture had a dummy plate on and didnt match the records the DVLA had,which obviously his bike being legit did.There`s a way of getting off a ticket here that`s soon going to be changed.they send you a form you`re supposed to sign confirming that you were the rider/driver knicked,until you do this it`s not valid evidence so you send it back un-signed.It gets sent back a few times then they forget it,there`s even a firm of bike lawyers that will send out a free covering letter that you send back with your un-signed form saying that by law you`re under no obligation to incriminate yourself.Typically despite many getting off with this your typical shit-head Brit just dosnt believe it when you tell them,rather get done and pay the fine I guess.if you get a ticket and they`ve got your number wrong then that`s basically the evidence they`ve got,you just say"not my reg no,not my bike",end of story.

georgedubyabush
9th April 2004, 09:30
That sounds similar to the urban legend in NZ of overpaying your fine so they send you a refund check for the difference which you never cash, and therefore is never processed.

What?
9th April 2004, 20:09
As far as I know, mistakes on the ticket are generally grounds for waiver...
Nah - don't fool yourself.
I couldn't get off a ticket 25 years ago (well before mobile radars) where the cop scrawled his signature in the space labelled "Name: Print" and left the signature part blank. I argued that if the cop could not perform the simple task of filling out the offence notice correctly then he is unlikely to possess the necessary skills to read his car speedo and accurately transcribe the reading to the afforementioned notice. Of course, I denied exceeding the speed limit...

scumdog
10th April 2004, 09:04
Yep, in N.Z. you merely have to be "fairly informed" which means that you might not get off because the cop forgot to circle the day of the week or a similar error.
I saw someone mentioned "urban myth" earlier, I heard the one about the guys distracting the camera car operator and taking his vehicles rear no. plate and then putting it on the front of one of their own cars and driving past the camera car 14 times fairly fast.
The story goes that the camera cars film was down-loaded into the computer back at the police station and promptly sent itself 14 tickets, all the slack-jawed rubes at this point say "right-on" "good one" "oh yeah" etc, my question is how did those that performed this supposed stunt find out about the tickets being issued? - did they have a mate that worked with the camera car guys? did the Police put an article in the local rag? "I don't think so Tim!" - I suspect it's just another one of those good sounding urban myths. <_<