PDA

View Full Version : 2 days down - lots to go

Hawkeye
2nd March 2006, 20:49
Well, for the second day in a row I used the bike to go into Wellington.:spudflip:

I can't wait to get rid of the learners label as I'm sick of having to take the long way in. I know what everyone will tell me - throw the plate away. But that's not me. I'm too set in my ways to start doing things like that.
I can actually get to work faster in the cage because it's motorway door to door but I'll endure the 'non motorway' route on the bike until I get the Restricted. Getting more confident everytime I go out and even lane split at the lights at the bottom of the gorge on the way home . There was a truck/trailer at the front and I knew I could leave him standing.
I never realised until starting to ride the bike how many plonkers there are out there in cages. They deliberately sit on the centre line to stop anyone getting past. I've always made a point of moving over to the left to let bikes through in the past. I certainly now appreciate the more sympathetic cagers who do give you room. I never really notice until now.

WRT
3rd March 2006, 07:26
Its funny how riding can give you a whole new perspective on driving. Maybe it should be compulsary to learn to ride a bike when you learn to drive a car. Get people to be a bit more courteous, and help hone that sixth sense that only bikers seem to have.

Sniper
3rd March 2006, 07:31
Congrats and well done matey.

DemonWolf
3rd March 2006, 07:42
Good stuff.. keep at it... Soon your'll be making up excuses to go the 'long' way to and from work! haha

Rosie
3rd March 2006, 07:47
Well, for the second day in a row I used the bike to go into Wellington.:spudflip:

Sweet. Only only went out on my bike for about 10 minutes last night (first time since Sunday :o ). I'll get up early tomorrow morning and go for a cruise around before there is too much traffic.

Drum
3rd March 2006, 15:49
I never realised until starting to ride the bike how many plonkers there are out there in cages.

Amen to that. Riding has made me a much more conscious driver as well.
Unfortunately theres a few plonkers on bikes as well - present company excluded of course!

Colapop
3rd March 2006, 15:52
You ride carefully today there's a lot of bad wind out there! And it's headed norf so youse fullas up there watch out!

MSTRS
3rd March 2006, 16:03
....but I'll endure the 'non motorway' route.....
Most treat the 70kph thing as a 'recommend'. If you are not confident then carry on as were. Otherwise just go with the traffic flow. Confidence to do this won't be far off.

Hawkeye
3rd March 2006, 16:23
Most treat the 70kph thing as a 'recommend'. If you are not confident then carry on as were. Otherwise just go with the traffic flow. Confidence to do this won't be far off.

Confidence isn't the issue. It's the grief I'll get if I get a ticket.

John Banks
3rd March 2006, 20:32
Pretty big if, though. Most of the coppers I've talked to think it's ridiculous.

nadroj
3rd March 2006, 20:53
You ride carefully today there's a lot of bad wind out there! And it's headed norf so youse fullas up there watch out!

Cola Popped one:shake:

sAsLEX
4th March 2006, 09:54
Confidence isn't the issue. It's the grief I'll get if I get a ticket.

Most cops wont ticket you if you are just in the flow of traffic, the 70 kph limit is seriously dangerous and should be dropped imho

Blairos
7th March 2006, 09:16
I am yet to receive any grief from the boys in blue, mainly by looking like you are confident and know what you are doing, and maintaining whatever speed in traffic flow always helps to prevent unwanted attention (this includes cagers)
My L-Plate seemed to have the complete opposite effect to what the lovely "Learners Licence Letter" from the LTSA states... and I quote... "This enables other drivers to be considerate of the learner driver's needs for time and space"

Well Mr LTSA, it actually has the complete opposite effect - tailgaters, people cutting you off etc etc - suggest they reconsider this "Idiot Magnet" and its application for bikes...

Drum
7th March 2006, 21:58
A good idea would be to mobilise forces and change such stupid laws.
Problem is, once you're off your L plate you dont care anymore, and when youre on your L-plate you're more interested in riding!

Insanity_rules
8th March 2006, 07:50
Congrats Swift, I'm still looking for a hack to see out my year of restriction. Once I get it the plan is to commute from Upper Vegas (Hutt) to town. I always move over for bikes in the traffic in my cage and envy not being on a bike myself.

My experiences with my L plate on (borrowed Bike) Cages tailgate, try to pass in some insane ways and generally make mayhem. Only 5 and a half months to go before the restricted.

I'm tempted to throw my Loser plate away till I'm reminded of the fine.

See ya on the blacktop dude........

riffer
8th March 2006, 12:45
Another Upper Hutt commuter eh?

Try it when you get the bike - it's addictive. the VTR will be good for commuting as you have the low down grunt which helps when lane splitting - it's good to be able to squirt it from gap to gap when the cagers are being ornery.