PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha forced to offer ‘buy-back’ option on 2006 R6 in USA

Bob
3rd March 2006, 04:28
The new R6 has a 17,500rpm redline on the tachometer. However, it would appear that the rev-limiter is set to 15,900rpm. So in effect, the tacho over-reads, making the revs look more spectacular.

This does not affect the bike’s performance in any way – but this has caused Yamaha problems in America as Yamaha USA used the 17,500 number as part of the marketing material. As a result, Yamaha have been forced to issue the following statement:

"YZF-R6 Yamaha Statement

"You may already be aware, through various media, that there has been some discussion regarding the ‘redline’ on the new YZF-R6.

Yamaha has introduced the YZF-R6 motorcycle with a 17,500 rpm “redline” as indicated on the tachometer. Unfortunately due to the tachometer tolerance, the actual “redline” rpm is approximately 16,000 rpm, as measured during bench testing, using a calibrated tachometer.
It is important to note that the tachometer reading tolerance has absolutely no effect on the performance of the YZF-R6 and that there are no related safety issues. The maximum power of 133 HP @ 14,500 rpm (with direct air induction) as stated in the ‘Yamaha 2006 Supersport’ brochure, is correct.

Yamaha would like to offer its sincere apologies for possibly creating confusion regarding the 'redline' and trusts that YZF-R6 customers continue to enjoy the performance that this motorcycle offers.

"Based on promotional activities undertaken by Yamaha in the US in combination with specific US legislation, Yamaha deemed it necessary to offer a 'buy-back' option to US customers and US dealers. This action is specific for the US market and will not be applied for Europe."

Mooch
3rd March 2006, 04:56
H'mm seems a bit harsh , mind you , Ducati Superbikes don't have a red line , wonder if they'll trade old for new ?

Motu
3rd March 2006, 06:46
I guess it must be important to some people,to be more worried about what a bike is said to do rather than what it actualy does - but I don't think I would of taken a Vincent back because it wouldn't get to the end of the 150mph speedo.

Sparky Bills
3rd March 2006, 07:36
H'mm seems a bit harsh , mind you , Ducati Superbikes don't have a red line , wonder if they'll trade old for new ?

It does seem a bit harsh.
I wouldnt even worry about it. If it has that much power, why would you?

Even if the Duc has no redline, anything over 11 on the "R" model is valve breaking material:banana: So i wouldnt recomend reving too much higher than that haha:eyepoke:

Lou Girardin
3rd March 2006, 08:45
Good old US consumer protection. The rest of the world can go whistle.