PDA

View Full Version : crash scene safety.

FROSTY
3rd March 2006, 20:00
Folks --dunno the PC way to put this so fuggit Ill just bumble in and offend people as per usual.
There was a bike crash recently on a fair sized ride.
I was gobsmacket at how many people put themselves in danger of getting clobbered by a cage or worse.
Please people golden rule --Make YOURSELF safe first.
You can't help ya buddy in any way if youre squashed under a car yaself.
Firefight in his biker"first aid" course really covers this off 1000% better than I ever could but as I understand it the way to do things is.
1) make yourself and your machine safe from damage.
2) make the accident scene safe -For the record-a bike headlight is a shit load more visible than a bloke in black
3) deal with the situation/accident.
I AM NOT POINTING THE FINGER AT ANYONE HERE

marty
3rd March 2006, 20:18
I AM NOT POINTING THE FINGER AT ANYONE HERE

thank goodness for that. i was about to run and hide :)

Marmoot
3rd March 2006, 20:49
I was gobsmacket at how many people put themselves in danger of getting clobbered by a cage or worse.

C'mon Frosty. It's age old knowledge: safety in number :bleh:

The more = The safer

FROSTY
3rd March 2006, 21:08
nope marmoot--it just turns a "simple' crash into a multi casulty situation. :ar15:

RiderInBlack
3rd March 2006, 22:08
Yep, No.1 Marshell rule: Ya don't go ta the accident site until ya can do so safely (the helps no good if it gets hurt or killed going ta help).
Let the ones with the knoweledge look after the injuried. Put pointmen at safe distance away from from the accident to slow/stop traffic where they can be see easlierly. Anyone else should fu*k off out of the road unless they can do something truely helpful. Hate "Rubber-Neckers".

Marmoot
3rd March 2006, 22:39
nope marmoot--it just turns a "simple' crash into a multi casulty situation. :ar15:

Sorry Frosty. As you know, I am quite a cynic :hug:

Zed
3rd March 2006, 23:08
Yeah i guess it's just expected that cagers will slow right down, but this is often not the case on the road. Last nite I was at a crash scene and a guy stopped in a van behind my bike which was parked on the bend about 20mtrs behind the crashed bike, he also put his hazard lights on but ended up standing near the middle of the road waving down cars and getting really upset because they were just not slowing right down like he was expecting them to, he was getting rather agro actually and i fully supported him.

sunhuntin
4th March 2006, 16:06
had a postie scooter rear end a car outside work one morning [i wasnt on...was related back to me by staff who were on]
one staff member went out to check on those involved after calling ambos. according to the senior staff member, cars were very close to running over allan...he wound up dragging the forecourt cones onto the road so hed be seen. one car was close to running him over just as the cops arrived...the driver was told if he dared to move, hed be booked.
the scooter apparently shattered the rear windscreen, not sure how fast it was going though as i wasnt there.