PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Maintenance

IronicCapers
3rd March 2006, 21:25
Been biking a few years now but i actually don't know all that much about basic maintenance even though im an auto engineer (in training). Ive got the lubrication thing tapped down with the likes of engine oil and keeping my bearings clean and well greased.
the thing is what should i do to keep the suspension in healthy. It cant be buy and forget what is it i have to do so they won't start to become a problem?

Brian d marge
3rd March 2006, 23:00
Been biking a few years now but i actually don't know all that much about basic maintenance even though im an auto engineer (in training). Ive got the lubrication thing tapped down with the likes of engine oil and keeping my bearings clean and well greased.
the thing is what should i do to keep the suspension in healthy. It cant be buy and forget what is it i have to do so they won't start to become a problem?

You dont say what type of off road riding you do. If its the odd trrail ride then Setting it up for you wieght and the odd change off oil will be fine.

If you are racing a bit then you will need a lot more maintance. I am changing my oil every second meeting OR AT the meeting depending on what sort of suspension I want

Stephen

laRIKin
4th March 2006, 08:33
You can not do much at the rear end apart from cleaning and greasing the linkages (and swing arm).
Because the rear shock is gas filled you can do any thing easily.

But the front end you keep the fork seal slider clean and that is between them as well.
You can freshen up the oil by changing MOST of it.
But to do the job properly you have to pull them apart.
You can do this if you want to.

Use the link below to see what you are getting in to.

http://www.wpsuspension.com/
Click on "service" and then "down loads". (just to make it easier)