PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the UK

lv929
4th March 2006, 07:49
as title says :wavey:

I'm female and ride a gsxr K5, a Fireblade (for commuting) I race a Honda rs125 sometimes and hubby rides a Pan European. We are coming to NZ next year to ride (and dive) and I would value some advice. I'll ask my questions in General but HALLO!!! :niceone:

jimbo600
4th March 2006, 08:32
Aye oop lass. You'll love it down here. You'll miss the GP and WSB though, but it sounds like you won't be short of Pacific Pesos so you can nip accross to Aussie. Welcome to the site and welcome to NZ when you get here. What part of UK are you from?

lv929
4th March 2006, 09:35
north west, though born in Scotland. With a reply like eye oop you must be from Yorkshire :doobey:

kels
4th March 2006, 09:41
Hi there and welcome to KB :wavey:

swanman
4th March 2006, 09:58
Hi,

I am orginaly from the UK too been here for 6 yrs. There are a lot of Brits out here and on this site.

I am ex commercial diver and instructor. I haven't dived that much here but from what I know it is pretty good.

Riding bikes here is generally pretty good. Less traffic compared to the UK the roads are in good condition and are more like rural A roads or decent B roads. Just got to watch out for the standard of driving which to be honest is very poor and there are some crazy road rules.

Flatcap
4th March 2006, 10:18
Hi,

Riding bikes here is generally pretty good. Less traffic compared to the UK the roads are in good condition and are more like rural A roads or decent B roads. Just got to watch out for the standard of driving which to be honest is very poor and there are some crazy road rules.

Swanman is right - driving standards are either poor or psychopathic. With a bit of luck you wont come across a driver who is both.

Roadrules seem fine to me, although there are one or two that are the complete opposite to the UK. At least we drive on the correct side of the road (most of the time - got to watch out for German tourists in camper vans on lonely stretches).

You will have a great time though. The more bikers the merrier!

swanman
5th March 2006, 07:04
Swanman is right - driving standards are either poor or psychopathic. With a bit of luck you wont come across a driver who is both.

Roadrules seem fine to me, although there are one or two that are the complete opposite to the UK.

I was thinking in particular of turning left and giving way to traffic turning right infront of you. Craziest road rule I have ever come accross.

thealmightytaco
5th March 2006, 18:31
It's so they can get out of the middle of the road asap, can definitely be a bitch on occasion though.

BEAMER89
5th March 2006, 20:12
Hi and welcome to KB! Im sure you will love your time in NZ:banana:

boomer
5th March 2006, 20:51
WaaaaaAAAAAAzzzzAAaaaRp!

:wari: :wari:

Welcome and hi.. Get kettle on lass!

Biff
7th March 2006, 12:34
Hello.

The UK's a big place. Why can't people be a bit more specific and state where they're from? I may know someone that you know, in which case I wouldn't say hi to you, just in case they told you about me and that ferret.

It's a lie by the way, I got it's fur caught in my zipper.

lv929
7th March 2006, 22:10
near Bolton, though not born here. Plenty of ferrets in this part of the world :yes:

terbang
8th March 2006, 19:52
Welcome..
Whey Aye shes a canny wee hinney.. err hang you said west, sorry wrong side, different language..!
If you are in AKL we may see you..

Hawkeye
8th March 2006, 20:10
Whey Aye shes a canny wee hinney.. err hang you said west, sorry wrong side, different language..!
Is that an accent from god's country I hear....Not a different language... The ONLY language. :niceone:

By the way - Welcome lv929

jimbo600
10th March 2006, 13:36
north west, though born in Scotland. With a reply like eye oop you must be from Yorkshire :doobey:

Um no Devon actually. Should have replied ooh aarr.

Colapop
10th March 2006, 15:34
Howdy ma'am and welcome!

Is KB the main introduction point to NZ biking for poms?

mstriumph
14th March 2006, 23:53
you think spank ought to go for some sort of tourism grant mebbe? :rolleyes:

martin
18th March 2006, 19:37
hi and welcome, i'm from Accrington.............it's a little bit nicer over here!!!!!!!!!

Ninja51
20th March 2006, 08:08
Congratulations! You will adore it over here (I hope!)
The Mrs and I are from Northamptonshire. (well, not strictly true as she is a Kiwi and was working in Cumbria when we met). Before that I lived in Milton Keynes. That's why we avoided Christchurch. It would have been one huge flat grid to another. Now in Wellington and loving it. Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of useful, not so useful, amusing and not so amusing drivel on here on a daily basis. Who cares! We're all one big biker family.

ogr1
22nd June 2006, 21:38
near Bolton, though not born here. Plenty of ferrets in this part of the world :yes:

Greetings................

You must ave been up Rivi barn a few times then eh!

boomer
22nd June 2006, 23:38
hi and welcome, i'm from Accrington.............it's a little bit nicer over here!!!!!!!!!

[scouse accent]Acccrington Stanley[/scouse accent]

brit-bloke
3rd July 2006, 19:58
Yeah I'm from Burnley and I'll 2nd that!!

Riff Raff
4th July 2006, 08:50
Funny how all the brits come out of the woodwork when another Brit posts. Where's the kiwi welcome? Can't help with that either - I'm Scottish but lived all over the world as a kid, and was living in Kent before moving to NZ.

But anyhoo. Welcome to the site and all that and make sure you let us all know when you're over so you can be shown some great kiwi hospitality.

Diving over here is fantastic too - you have to do the Poor Knights (absolutely stunning) plus there's two great wreck dives just out of Tutukaka. Head up north a bit further and do the Rainbow Warrior as well. If you're heading down the South Island get some diving in around Fiordland (I haven't done that yet, but definately on my list of things to do).

The only problem with New Zealand is that there's more to do here than most people have time for.

Oh yeah - don't worry about Biff. He's Welsh so he can't help it.

Macktheknife
4th July 2006, 11:56
Welcome to the madness of KB, look forward to catching up when you get here. Lots of KBers will give assitance and advice on all manner of places to go and see/dive/ride etc. Plan for longer than you expect, there is an awful lot to do in such a (comparatively) small country.

fazer
24th July 2006, 19:40
welcome. only been here for a few months ourselves, from kent, looking forward to do the touring bit. where are you going to live?

shafty
4th December 2006, 19:16
A question to all ex-UK folk, and not taking "the mickey" - do you regard the expression POM offensive? Cheers. It's been quite topical lately

McJim
4th December 2006, 19:31
A question to all ex-UK folk, and not taking "the mickey" - do you regard the expression POM offensive? Cheers. It's been quite topical lately

It disnae bother me - people don't normally call me a Pom...the two that did have got less teeth in their heid than 'afore but it's all part of the learning curve.

Welcome to KB...there's a disproportionate number of Scots on here...and on top of that a lot of the Kiwis have got Scottish ancestors..especially a lot of my Maori mates!

Don't know about diving - not my bag - but the roads are like rolling Ayrshire with a bit of Grampian and some Argyll thrown in for guid measure...except it has been known for whole days to go by without rainfall - coming from Glasgow this caught me by surprise as I thought rain was a daily occurence the world over.

Keep an eye on the site when you arrive coz you'll be able to catch up with an organised ride.

All the best :)

boomer
5th December 2006, 07:18
Hey Crazy steve, Where's ya post gone? i have a pm saying you quoted me but it's dissapeared!!! you take it down to put the kettle on?