PDA

View Full Version : New tyres in the wet

Hitcher
9th April 2004, 18:08
Yesterday I allowed myself to by "guinea pigged" and got a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6s fitted to the Zrex. When I was collecting the bike at Motorad, Kerry gave me the usual warning about riding on new tyres and then took me out the back and showed me what was left of a Yamaha TRX850 that had slid out on its brand new Battlax 020 at the Basin Reserve the previous day. Ouch!! Only 1km travelled...

Given that it was persisting down, I took things VERY carefully on the way home... Shiny side still up!!

Is anybody else running Metzeler Z6s??

6Chris6
9th April 2004, 19:11
Yesterday I allowed myself to by "guinea pigged" and got a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6s fitted to the Zrex. When I was collecting the bike at Motorad, Kerry gave me the usual warning about riding on new tyres and then took me out the back and showed me what was left of a Yamaha TRX850 that had slid out on its brand new Battlax 020 at the Basin Reserve the previous day. Ouch!! Only 1km travelled...

Given that it was persisting down, I took things VERY carefully on the way home... Shiny side still up!!

No, but i've just bought a shiny new pair of diablo's was gonna put them on tommorro for ride but you've just put me off that idea :laugh:

Antallica
9th April 2004, 19:12
Nope, but my Pirelli MT75's gave me the real shits when I pulled out of a driveway when I first got them. Rear end came sliding out, lucky I was able to save my ass and my ride with my foot. Roads were rather wet of course. Something about the waxyness of the tyre when it's brand new huh?

Racey Rider
9th April 2004, 19:19
You'ld think that with all the money they put into tyre development, and the cost of those tyres to us, and the fact that the tyres are So critical to our safety and wellbeing, they would have got that 'slippery new tyre' thing sorted by now. :(
I remember reading somthing about something you wipe over your tyre to remove the 'gloss'. Don't know what it was tho. Can't of worked that good or we'ld all be doing it.

James Deuce
9th April 2004, 19:35
You'ld think that with all the money they put into tyre development, and the cost of those tyres to us, and the fact that the tyres are So critical to our safety and wellbeing, they would have got that 'slippery new tyre' thing sorted by now. :(
I remember reading somthing about something you wipe over your tyre to remove the 'gloss'. Don't know what it was tho. Can't of worked that good or we'ld all be doing it.

The waxy coating is there to let them get the tyre out of the mould without wrecking it. Its really important to scrub your tyres in gently to avoid heat fixers and other chemicals going "off" through being over heated. And of course to get all the shiney stuff off.

The only thing you can wipe on your tyres is really fine grain sandpaper. Anything chemical can make them go "off" (hard and slippery) before they are worn out.

Jackrat
9th April 2004, 20:00
Never tryed Met'z yet,but your reminder is rather timely as I am having a new Batlax put on the rear next week.Iv'e noticed the slippery thing is worse now than it used to be but the tyres are also a lot better than they used to be as well.I ride a few KMS on a local gravel road with new tyres,That seems to solve the slippery problem,I then take it easy for around 200 kms to make sure the compond settles properly before I push them.That leting them settle thing makes a big difference in how long they last.
Cheers.

jrandom
9th April 2004, 21:45
Pirelli MT75's gave me the real shits when I pulled out of a driveway when I first got them

aha, so you did get the MT75s. How'd you rate them then?

And yes, new tyres seem to be rather waxy these days. My last pair of MT75s were much the same. Just pays to go reaaal easy in the wet, ho yuss. Not so bad on a wee bike like the FXR of course, less chance of spinning the rear up and sliding impressively into the curb.

jimbo600
9th April 2004, 22:37

Normally I run Metzeler Rennsports, but I am getting a Z6 fitted tomorrow. Press in UK have been raving about these having a great combination of longevity and grip. It'll be interesting to see how they go at a track day.

They have huge Rennsport shoes to fill though

dangerous
9th April 2004, 23:24
Normally I run Metzeler Rennsports, but I am getting a Z6 fitted tomorrow. Press in UK have been raving about these having a great combination of longevity and grip. It'll be interesting to see how they go at a track day.

I havent heard of 'rennsports' or 'Z6' but I run MEz4's on the Guzzi never had them let go (roled the rear of a couple of times tho) apart from geting the rear replaced being told 'go easy' and leaving the shop side ways for a reasonble distance. Must of looked bloody good but it was not intensional the words 'go easy' went in one ear and out the other.

Last week I put a new pair on the VTR, I was thinking of Metzeler again as they last a good 10+k's on the Guzzi but they just dident seem to suit so I went with Dunlop. Went straight home and used sand paper to remove the silicon release crap of them.

So what are these road tec Z6's like sport/tourer I would think if they went on a ZRX. I have seen the sport tec but they would be too soft for me and disapair in side 5000k's

moko
9th April 2004, 23:37
Had a new 020 put on my Fazer 2 days ago,and it`s always bloody wet here.Guy in the tyre shop told me they`ve had loads of bikes dropped within sight off the shop after having new tyres fitted.Half the trouble is people not listening,they get told to take it easy for a while"yeah,yeah" then they do the hero bit exiting the yard,whack the front brake on and down they go.I agree that it`s high time this was sorted out by the manufacturers but I left the tyre place in the rain,across greasy city streets then hiked across the countryside for about 100ks to my parents place,kept it smooth,bit more restraint with the throttle hand than normal and no problem.Only precaution I do take,dont let them both get to the point where they`re both totally buggered before replacing them and replace them one at a time,that way you dont end up with potentially slippy tyres at both ends.mine both needed replacing,got the rear done and scrubbed in,next week get the new front and will be using the rear brake more than usual until it beds in.(Fazer has R1 brakes,heavy-handed braking with a new tyre not recommended)

wkid_one
9th April 2004, 23:52
The tyre is a straight replacement for the MeZ4.....a touring biased tyre.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/tire-metzeler-roadtecz6.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:Zoom('/tech/tires/tire-metzeler-roadtecz6-z.jpg',432,480))

Successor To Fabled MEZ4

There was a time when buying a sport-touring tire was like kissing your sister: it was pleasant enough, but nothing like the real thing. Metzeler attempted to change that about six years ago with the introduction of their MEZ4 sport-touring radial. The Z4 emphasized the "sport" end of the sport-touring equation, and was the first tire to employ Metzeler's patented 0( steel-belted radial technology on both the front and rear tires (it had previously been only available on rears; and, in fact, up to that time it had been thought that 0( steel-belted front tires could not work). The front acted like a built-in steering damper; the rear provided exceptional stability and control. Reviewers and riders praised its performance, its handling - and its mileage. The result? Six years later, the MEZ4 was still one of the best sellers in the Metzeler line, and was OE on bikes as different as the Yamaha FJR-1300 and Suzuki's initial SV650.
Now comes the brand new Roadtec Z6. And according to Metzeler, it's as different - and as advanced - as its predecessor was at its introduction. The new Z6 takes advantage of virtually all of the company's technological advancements over the past six years. (Metzeler is unique in that it is purely a motorcycle-tire company, the only motorcycle tire manufacturer that is.) Also, sport-touring bikes have improved significantly, gaining increased capacity, suspensions, and power, and the tires had to match the bike's requirements in these areas.

The main focus points of the Z6's development criteria were a distinct improvement in dry grip, wet performance, light, neutral handling, comfort - and, of course, mileage. According to Metzeler, these criteria were met through four technological features: new compounding, an innovative tread design, advanced tire profiles, and the company's patented 0( steel-belted radial construction front and rear.

In compounding, a new extrusion process allows for use of the latest generation of high-performance polymers, carbon black, and silica. Called FCM - for Fine Carbon Matrix - the structure of the Roadtec's compound was specifically developed for the performance of modern sport-touring bikes. The benefits are said to be significantly improved wet handling, precise corner entry and progressive response, impressive dry grip in both cold and warm weather, and quicker warm-up over a wider ambient temperature range. Metzeler's testing showed that the Z6's new FCM compound delivers up to a 20% dry-grip improvement over the Z4. The Roadtec Z6 even offers two carcass constructions in the most popular rear size (180/55-17): one optimized for bikes less than 530 pounds; one for bikes over 530 pounds, with the tires' structural characteristics tuned for each.

The innovative new front and rear tread patterns, with improved land/sea ratios, are designed to work together for enhanced water drainage. The result is 30% better wet handling and grip than the MEZ4 (again based on Metzeler testing), better feedback in the wet - a sense of being "connected" to the road, more confidence in wet cornering, excellent grip and traction in all conditions, combined with extended mileage.

Metzeler's new CMT (Contour Modeling Technology) permits the development of the tire's profile by combining different designs, each one of which is optimized for a particular lean angle. In this way, Metzeler feels the best possible compromise is obtained to suit all riding conditions and provide neutral and progressive handling, stable trajectory, and "confidence-inspiring" cornering at all lean angles. New sidewall construction, specifically tuned for sport-touring bikes, provides a new level of bump absorption and tire compliance on rough or pitted surfaces; this higher level of self-damping is designed for more comfort for both the rider and passenger.

The Roadtec features the latest generation of Metzeler's patented 0( steel-belted radial construction. The result is a stable contact patch that minimizes tire deformation at speed - especially in loaded conditions, providing exceptional high-speed stability, excellent balance in transitions, and linear, predictable handling. The 0( steel's stable contact patch is not affected by braking in corners, so it greatly minimizes tire's tendency to stand up in corners. Metzeler's new Roadtec Z6 is available in a full range of sizes for all modern-era bikes:

FRONTS:............REARS:
110/70ZR-17 150/70ZR-17
120/60ZR-17 160/60ZR-17
120/70ZR-17 170/60ZR-17
110/80ZR-18 180/55ZR-17
120/70ZR-18 190/50ZR-17
160/60ZR-18 I will stick with Renner/Super Corsas me thinks.

wkid_one
9th April 2004, 23:54

Apparently a big step down from the Renners.....these tyres are third on the pecking order of Metzeler - Renners 1st, Sportec M1's 2nd and Roadtecs 3rd.

I wouldn't go expected anything near the Renners - I would still be putting M1's on my bike over the RoadTecs

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 00:13
Wikid mate,Tell me more about kissing your sister,Your not from Tazmania are ya'.Sounds very interesting. :msn-wink:

Antallica
10th April 2004, 00:29
Yeah the MT75 are primo :niceone: sticks like anything :)

Ghost Lemur
10th April 2004, 01:06
Would it really be so much hassle to have a way the servicer/mechanic could remove this newness from the tyres?

Antallica
10th April 2004, 01:53
Ahh do it yerself ya lazy bastard! :bleh:

Firefight
10th April 2004, 07:52
[QUOTE=J.I ride a few KMS on a local gravel road with new tyres,That seems to solve the slippery problem,I then take it easy for around 200 kms to make sure the compond settles properly before I push them.
Cheers.[/QUOTE]

yep, me to, :Pokey: not sure how the jaffas get on, don't know of any metal roads in Ak, something to do with getting most of the share of NZ roading money

firefight :whistle:

jimbo600
10th April 2004, 08:18
Apparently a big step down from the Renners.....these tyres are third on the pecking order of Metzeler - Renners 1st, Sportec M1's 2nd and Roadtecs 3rd.

I wouldn't go expected anything near the Renners - I would still be putting M1's on my bike over the RoadTecs

I might just run the Z6 on the road and swap for Rennsports for track days.

See how we go.

Milky
10th April 2004, 08:49
yep, me to, :Pokey: not sure how the jaffas get on, don't know of any metal roads in Ak, something to do with getting most of the share of NZ roading money

firefight :whistle:

I try to do that too, or if it is raining and i really dont want to get wet, i sit down with a wire brush and take the gloss off the tyres... usually if i want to run tyres in i go out to Donald McLean mountain - out huia/whatipu way. I think that is the closest gravel road that i can get to :done:

Firefight
10th April 2004, 08:59
I try to do that too, or if it is raining and i really dont want to get wet, i sit down with a wire brush and take the gloss off the tyres... usually if i want to run tyres in i go out to Donald McLean mountain - out huia/whatipu way. I think that is the closest gravel road that i can get to :done:

Yeah the only ones I know are from Forest HQ off H/W 16 into motorcycle park woodhill forest, or around the back of Kuemu...

F/F

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 09:00
Would it really be so much hassle to have a way the servicer/mechanic could remove this newness from the tyres?

Nope it wouldn't.
One of the bike shops in CHCH use to wipe the silicon off with brake cleaner
on a rag and another use a Stainless steel welding brush.

I change my own, so don't know what the shops do any more.

The other day I put my MKIII back on the road after about 2years.
And I forgot that I had put a new rear on when I took it off the road for
awhile.
Well I soon remembered at the end of the street, at the first corner :Oops
Maybe an old Guzzi will make a good super motard. :sweatdrop
Brake Slide Power UP. :Punk:

James Deuce
10th April 2004, 09:10

Yep - if he damages your tyres he pays for them, plus you would have to pay about an hour's labour extra on fitting. Given that mechanics charge more than Heart Surgeons per hour, I'd rather do it myself.

wkid_one
10th April 2004, 09:14
Can't understand what all the fuss is about....I've had plenty of new tyres on - and provided you work in to them over the first 100km you are fine. Biggest thing with new tyres is also getting the heat through them....

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 09:33
Yep - if he damages your tyres he pays for them, plus you would have to pay about an hour's labour extra on fitting. Given that mechanics charge more than Heart Surgeons per hour, I'd rather do it myself.

I do respect what you are saying and not trying to be a smart ass. :whistle: But a quick wipe with a rag etc, is better than a crash on the way home, to do it your self.
Maybe the answer is to bring your own rag and brake cleaner, wirer brush or sand paper to the shop and do it your self.

Better still why not change your bike tyres your self and save money and some times, time, as you can do it when ever you want.
Also you can check the wheel bearings, clean the wheel adjust the chain (if you have one) etc while you are at it.

It does take some practise but it's not that hard.

James Deuce
10th April 2004, 10:50
I do respect what you are saying and not trying to be a smart ass. :whistle: But a quick wipe with a rag etc, is better than a crash on the way home, to do it your self.
Maybe the answer is to bring your own rag and brake cleaner, wirer brush or sand paper to the shop and do it your self.

Better still why not change your bike tyres your self and save money and some times, time, as you can do it when ever you want.
Also you can check the wheel bearings, clean the wheel adjust the chain (if you have one) etc while you are at it.

It does take some practise but it's not that hard.

Nice call Dude! :)

georgedubyabush
10th April 2004, 14:13
how do you balance them?

James Deuce
10th April 2004, 15:12
how do you balance them?

Very carefully!

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 16:09
Very carefully!
For me the balancing thing is the only issue with doing it yourself.
When we all had tube'ed tyres with steel rims it was no worry but tubeless and alloy wheels I don't really want to mess with.
If you have any tips Jim I'm all ears.

James Deuce
10th April 2004, 16:38
For me the balancing thing is the only issue with doing it yourself.
When we all had tube'ed tyres with steel rims it was no worry but tubeless and alloy wheels I don't really want to mess with.
If you have any tips Jim I'm all ears.

Oops - I should have put a smiley in there - I was being a smartass!!

:)

I've changed my tyres a grand total of twice, and both times I took the wheels in to get balanced at the shop.

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 16:40
how do you balance them?

I made a frame and use a bright steel bar throught the wheel brearings.
You could use a couple of bit of 4X2 (with some nails or a V) or two chairs
and a bit of steel bar.

Spin the wheel (not to fast) and when it comes to rest, mark the bottom
of the tyre.
Do this a few times, if it stops at the same spot put some weight on the other
side of the mark (I go up in steps of about 7g at a time) I will just duck tape
them on temporary until I get the right weight and then use double side tape
on old weights to reuse them.
You some time have to put weights on in more than one place.
I like to check the bare wheel first, for the heavy spot and put the marker
thats to go next to the valve next to the heavy spot on the wheel instead.
When you spin the wheel and it doesn,t stop at the same place (can be as
little 3 times) the wheel is balanced. I do, do it more.
Don't get to worried, just take the bike for a spin and if you are not to happy
try again. I was cleaning my wheels (yes I did D.D you seen them) and a 7g
weight was found on the ground, took the bike for a ride to day and it was fine. So like I said don't get to worried about it. Just take your time.

I did have a good site on this, but (there is always a but) I had to reboot the
computer (the BIG reboot) and lost the site.
I have looked because I new this was going to come up, but can not find it yet. I will keep looking.

I hope this make sence :bleh:

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 16:59
Here's one of the sites

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Posh Tourer :P
10th April 2004, 18:15
Yeah the only ones I know are from Forest HQ off H/W 16 into motorcycle park woodhill forest, or around the back of Kuemu...

F/F

Try Anawhata Rd (off Piha Road - theres about 20km of it out to Anawhata Beach). Consistently good gravel too. Whatipu is normally more mud than gravel this time of year, but sometimes ok. Also of course many out the back of Hellensville. Also try the route from Waiwera (ie in the township) to Hellensville... about 3km of gravel, plus a few more patches. Thos are probably the best I know of. Dont know of any out east though....

FROSTY
10th April 2004, 18:30
coorect me if Im wrong but isn't it also a case of the shiney stuff stopping the tyre from going off whilst in storage.
There is a product you can brush onto Kart tyres that makes em sticky again --Maybee that could go on new tyres to make em stickyer?

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 19:53
Here's one of the sites

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Ahhhhhh,I always wondered what that dot was for.
But being a lazy bugger I think I will let Mt Eden do the job for me.
Still some good info' for the future.
Thanks mate.

dangerous
10th April 2004, 19:55
I made a frame and use a bright steel bar throught the wheel brearings.
You could use a couple of bit of 4X2 (with some nails or a V) or two chairs
and a bit of steel bar. :bleh:

Shezzzz....... bloody back yard Itilian riding butchers :msn-wink: I can suply the 4x2 & nails :whistle:

ps: ohhh....the clean wheels looked ok :apint: well they did till that f/w on a 999 did a half arsed attempt at a donut in the shingle/dirt and blasted our bikes like a shot gun in the pub carpark 'I wont that pricks balls to string up' :angry2:

cya DD

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 20:30
coorect me if Im wrong but isn't it also a case of the shiney stuff stopping the tyre from going off whilst in storage.
There is a product you can brush onto Kart tyres that makes em sticky again --Maybee that could go on new tyres to make em stickyer?

The silicone is used as a release agent and to slow down oxidization of the
rubber (going hard). Because they don't spray the mould every time, thats
why some tyres have more silicon on them than others.

I have heard of the paint on stuff but have never used it my self.
So it's still around, I heard of the stuff about 15 years ago.
But have been told that it helps with grip, but is that another pit lane lie?
Because other guys that raced against them didn't think that it did.
Your Karting mates would have a better idear, I would like to know what they
think.

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 20:40
Shezzzz....... bloody back yard Itilian riding butchers :msn-wink: I can suply the 4x2 & nails :whistle:

ps: ohhh....the clean wheels looked ok :apint: well they did till that f/w on a 999 did a half arsed attempt at a donut in the shingle/dirt and blasted our bikes

What was the point cleaning them, they dirty again. :weep:

Thats it I'm not useing the brakes any more. :no:

I need teflon wheels. :scooter:

FROSTY
10th April 2004, 22:49

The product Im talking about makes go cart tyres sticky again after they have gone off or shiney.I've tried it to rejeuvinate a set of old slicks on a bucket racer and it make a big difference.-Perhaps it would work on new tyres.
I'm in the automotive industry and if the shiney stuff is indeed silicone based perhaps the product we use to remove silicone from paint work might help.
You rub it on with a cloth and back off with another cloth -It takes the silicone off the paint ready for repainting

wkid_one
10th April 2004, 23:04
Sheesh - for the sake of 100km riding - who cares. We all know now tyres are slippery - so if you fall off, more fool you.

Just ride them in

FROSTY
11th April 2004, 00:23
I guess it'd be cool to clean up that last 25mm of tread on the tyres edge.
The bit that seems to take the logest to scrub in

laRIKin
11th April 2004, 09:09
Sheesh - for the sake of 100km riding - who cares. We all know now tyres are slippery - so if you fall off, more fool you.

Just ride them in

Well if you are racing, you can't wait 100 km.
And if you do fall off in the first 100 km you would wish you had.
(On or off the road)

If you had oil on your tires, do you say " forget about it, it'll wear off"?

And why not remove the problem.
Prevention is better than cure.

laRIKin
11th April 2004, 09:21
I guess it'd be cool to clean up that last 25mm of tread on the tyres edge.
The bit that seems to take the logest to scrub in

Yes and Yes.
Going around a corner, fully cranked over, abit more, abit more.
Knee just about down pegs close to the ground.
Bugger and opps was it that last bit of silicone, some thing on the road or me.
(as you pull your bike out of the ditch and the stone's out of your ...)

Jackrat
11th April 2004, 09:40
When I Worked in the steel industry we used a product called Belt grip.
I think it may of been made by CRC.We would spray it on loose drive belts when we couldn,t stop the line to make adjustments.It works very well on car fan belts and may be the thing for the outside edge of bike tyres as well.
Just remember if you do try it and end up picking bits of gravel out of your skin,,,It wasn't my idea mate. :whistle:

wkid_one
11th April 2004, 10:58
Yes and Yes.
Going around a corner, fully cranked over, abit more, abit more.
Knee just about down pegs close to the ground.
Bugger and opps was it that last bit of silicone, some thing on the road or me.
(as you pull your bike out of the ditch and the stone's out of your ...)
25mm of chicken strips are not going to make you come off when the contact patch with the road is the size of the palm of your hand. Once you have done about 25km - the centre is clean and you can lean the bike in progressively. Every time I have had new tyres - I just go on out a normal ride with the guys - but just take the first 10-20 minutes easier.....never had a drama.

FROSTY
11th April 2004, 11:06
When I Worked in the steel industry we used a product called Belt grip.
I think it may of been made by CRC.We would spray it on loose drive belts when we couldn,t stop the line to make adjustments.It works very well on car fan belts and may be the thing for the outside edge of bike tyres as well.
Just remember if you do try it and end up picking bits of gravel out of your skin,,,It wasn't my idea mate. :whistle:

Good idea mate but um--not a good plan-the stuff is great for fan belts but not so good for tyres -I think its a kind of sticky goop.
Um from memory i used to use dry weather practice days to scrub in new sets of tyres on th track.

Posh Tourer :P
11th April 2004, 12:42
Well if you are racing, you can't wait 100 km.
And if you do fall off in the first 100 km you would wish you had.
(On or off the road)

If you had oil on your tires, do you say " forget about it, it'll wear off"?

And why not remove the problem.
Prevention is better than cure.

The point is not about whether it can be done or not, its all about how much hassle it would be. Thus paying lots more to get this removed (in most cases - except for racing) is not worth the money/time. Oil is probably slipperier (sp ?) than this compound, so more worth cleaning off. It is all a matter of degrees of hassle and money.

Kickaha
11th April 2004, 18:56
I have heard of the paint on stuff but have never used it my self.
So it's still around, I heard of the stuff about 15 years ago.
But have been told that it helps with grip, but is that another pit lane lie?
Because other guys that raced against them didn't think that it did.
Your Karting mates would have a better idear, I would like to know what they
think.

It makes them stickier and makes them wear faster,it is also slippery when wet!

dangerous
11th April 2004, 21:28
25mm of chicken strips are not going to make you come off when the contact patch with the road is the size of the palm of your hand. Once you have done about 25km - the centre is clean and you can lean the bike in progressively. Every time I have had new tyres - I just go on out a normal ride with the guys - but just take the first 10-20 minutes easier.....never had a drama.

Yeh mate.... but with the older jap bikes and Guzzi's like Lemans rides 25mm of chicken strips is about half of the tyre, (110-120 max rear & 90-100 frount) thell even my MG1100 sport only has a 160 unlike the VTR which has a 180 now thats a palm sized foot print :sweatdrop

Lou Girardin
12th April 2004, 17:15
Getting back to the Z6's, let us know how they go. I'm thinking of trying them too.
Lou

Hitcher
12th April 2004, 18:19
Getting back to the Z6's, let us know how they go. I'm thinking of trying them too.
Lou

The Z6s are one sweet ride! They were great today in the dry and the wet. Lots of confidence in the twisties, good under hard braking, and the bike falls into turns easier than it did on the 020s. They have a softer impact on cats eyes and noticeably soften the ride compared with the Battlaxes. I think I am going to enjoy these a lot. It will be interesting to see how well they wear.

laRIKin
12th April 2004, 19:51
It makes them stickier and makes them wear faster,it is also slippery when wet!

Thanks for that.
Interesting that it makes a tire more slippery in the wet.

When one off the side car crews were useing it, their lap times were about the same. So none of the other crews tryed it, as it was not that cheap.
But to be fair to the product their slicks were very old.

Well back then we all used old raceing car tires, so they were stuffed unless
you were lucky to get a part set, because the car driver suffed one of his set
and had to, or wanted to, buy a new pair or set of tires.