PDA

View Full Version : Ride to Whakatane Staying overnight during Easter hols.

Andrew
9th April 2004, 18:29
Ok so school is out and that means I've got lots of time to ride, I mean study, no wait I mean ride. Anyway I'm considering doing a ride over to Whakatane perhaps via Whangamata and Tauranga.

Plan to Arrive in Whakatane/Ohope in the late afternoon / early evening. Check into a motel/backpackers whatever. Off to the pub for dinner and in to the night.

Ok so I'm thinking about going anyday from the week starting Easter Mon 12th to the following Monday. At the moment the weather is looking good right through to Thursday.

What I'd like to know is who would like to come and which night suits them.
Cheers
Andrew :rolleyes:

6Chris6
9th April 2004, 19:08
This is the long weekend and you wanna go when it's finished? :Pokey:
Bloody students.

erik
9th April 2004, 20:03
I've got 3 reports and one piece of homework due, and three mid semester tests all in the first two weeks back at uni (starting 26th April)! :eek5:

But yeah, I'd like to go! :banana:

It doesn't really matter for me which day we go. But I'd prefer to stay in a backpackers (unless a motel works out cheaper) because I'm pretty much broke.

Andrew
9th April 2004, 23:50
I've got 3 reports and one piece of homework due, and three mid semester tests all in the first two weeks back at uni (starting 26th April)! :eek5:

But yeah, I'd like to go! :banana:

It doesn't really matter for me which day we go. But I'd prefer to stay in a backpackers (unless a motel works out cheaper) because I'm pretty much broke.

Don't worry about your work. The diploma is easy as. I was finishing it up last year and still having heaps of fun on the bike!! Holidays are for enjoying!!!

k14
10th April 2004, 11:14
Exactly, studying is what the night before the test is for.

erik
10th April 2004, 14:59
Don't worry about your work. The diploma is easy as. I was finishing it up last year and still having heaps of fun on the bike!! Holidays are for enjoying!!!

Just out of curiosity, were you doing the same Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical)? What program are you doing now?

Exactly, studying is what the night before the test is for.

:laugh:

I kinda want to pass this course by a healthy margin rather than just scrape through it... Although I am taking a more relaxed approach than when I was studying psych and sociology.

Firefight
10th April 2004, 15:06
Ok so school is out and that means I've got lots of time to ride, I mean study, no wait I mean ride. Anyway I'm considering doing a ride over to Whakatane perhaps via Whangamata and Tauranga.

Plan to Arrive in Whakatane/Ohope in the late afternoon / early evening. Check into a motel/backpackers whatever. Off to the pub for dinner and in to the night.

Ok so I'm thinking about going anyday from the week starting Easter Mon 12th to the following Monday. At the moment the weather is looking good right through to Thursday.

What I'd like to know is who would like to come and which night suits them.
Cheers
Andrew :rolleyes:

Oh what a tough life, being a broken arse student, all the worry, the deadlines, the burden of debt, how do they manage ??I guess there is no room for rich C...s on this trip, have a good one Andrew, say gidday to "'130 wide" if you get a chance.

Firefight :Pokey:

Motoracer
10th April 2004, 15:16
At times like this, I wish I was a student. Have fun on this one and we'll do the winter one to go on the snowboarding trip. That should be interesting. :cold:

Andrew
11th April 2004, 19:45
Just out of curiosity, were you doing the same Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical)? What program are you doing now?

I did the diploma in engineering, but the electrical one. I'm now doing the BE.

:laugh:

I kinda want to pass this course by a healthy margin rather than just scrape through it... Although I am taking a more relaxed approach than when I was studying psych and sociology.
I did nicely over the last couple of years. If I wasn't at school, was either working, or riding (not necessarily in that order). I didn't just scrape though either, I got good enough marks to recieve a scholarship through the company which I sometimes work for! So don't take it too seriously, the diploma is nice and easy. Just wait till you get into your degree, then you'll need to start worrying!

Andrew
11th April 2004, 19:48
Oh what a tough life, being a broken arse student, all the worry, the deadlines, the burden of debt, how do they manage ??I guess there is no room for rich C...s on this trip, have a good one Andrew, say gidday to "'130 wide" if you get a chance.

Firefight :Pokey:

There's always room for you rich cunts on the ride. Who am I going to bludge off if I run out of money during my ride?

Firefight
11th April 2004, 20:10
There's always room for you rich cunts on the ride. Who am I going to bludge off if I run out of money during my ride?

:laugh:, yeah nice one mate !! :wacko:

erik
11th April 2004, 21:10
I did nicely over the last couple of years. If I wasn't at school, was either working, or riding (not necessarily in that order). I didn't just scrape though either, I got good enough marks to recieve a scholarship through the company which I sometimes work for! So don't take it too seriously, the diploma is nice and easy. Just wait till you get into your degree, then you'll need to start worrying!

Cool. I didn't mean to sound like I was insinuating that you scraped through your course. Appologies if it came across that way.
I'm still getting used to how much work I can get away with not doing at uni. I find writing reports and doing maths and engineering tests way easier than writing essays in sociology etc. but it's still stressful at times.

Kwaka-Kid
11th April 2004, 22:19
errr, will be hard pressed to make it due to crap. will see dude, ttyl

Andrew
11th April 2004, 22:24
Let me pencil in for going down this Friday 16th April and returning the next day Saturday 17th April. How does that sound to people? Make sure you give me feedback as soon as, that way I can make arragements.

We could come back through Rotorua. Just have to see what every body wants to do.

As for accomodation, I wonder if its best booked up already, or just find somewhere when we get down there.

6Chris6
11th April 2004, 22:39
At times like this, I wish I was a student. Have fun on this one and we'll do the winter one to go on the snowboarding trip. That should be interesting. :cold:

Whats this? Sounds good.
Can I come :Punk:

Kwaka-Kid
12th April 2004, 07:41
ahh bugger! i cant leave auckland to stay a night for the next 2 weeks as my mates gone on holiday and im stuck with 14days straight work :(

Motoracer
12th April 2004, 12:03
Whats this? Sounds good.
Can I come :Punk:

You sure can! We can use a few more brave (stupid really) souls to come with us on this journey to freezing our nuts of!!

6Chris6
12th April 2004, 19:05
Let me pencil in for going down this Friday 16th April and returning the next day Saturday 17th April. How does that sound to people? Make sure you give me feedback as soon as, that way I can make arragements.

We could come back through Rotorua. Just have to see what every body wants to do.

As for accomodation, I wonder if its best booked up already, or just find somewhere when we get down there.

What time are you thinkin of leaving on friday?

Andrew
12th April 2004, 22:01
What time are you thinkin of leaving on friday?
Ummmmm like the morning. Maybe 9.30 or 10am.

6Chris6
13th April 2004, 19:13
Ummmmm like the morning. Maybe 9.30 or 10am.
Ne mind, have a good weekend

erik
13th April 2004, 20:49
So is it only 2 of us going on this ride so far?

I'm kinda having second thoughts because of the length of the ride and my inexperience, the cost, and I'm doing a riding course on the sunday.

But I'm not sure, I mean, I can think up counter arguments to all those worries, I'm borrowing money for my living expenses (student loan) anyway so I'll be able to pay my parents back, I've driven the car to Whakatane before (maybe there and back to Auckland in one day iirc, so even if riding a bike is twice as tiring as driving the car, I should be ok), and if I get home in time to get a decent nights sleep I should be fine for the riding course.

Has anyone got any suggestions for an indecisive newbie?

Andrew
13th April 2004, 21:02
So is it only 2 of us going on this ride so far?

I'm kinda having second thoughts because of the length of the ride and my inexperience, the cost, and I'm doing a riding course on the sunday.

But I'm not sure, I mean, I can think up counter arguments to all those worries, I'm borrowing money for my living expenses (student loan) anyway so I'll be able to pay my parents back, I've driven the car to Whakatane before (maybe there and back to Auckland in one day iirc, so even if riding a bike is twice as tiring as driving the car, I should be ok), and if I get home in time to get a decent nights sleep I should be fine for the riding course.

Has anyone got any suggestions for an indecisive newbie?

Hopefully there will be others on the ride. Have you taken your bike out for a longer ride past Mercer yet? Say perhaps to Hamilton or Rotorua and back? The weather is looking up for Friday so it should be all go!

erik
13th April 2004, 21:35
Hopefully there will be others on the ride. Have you taken your bike out for a longer ride past Mercer yet? Say perhaps to Hamilton or Rotorua and back? The weather is looking up for Friday so it should be all go!

Nope, not yet. But I've been having a look at maps, I think I might give it a go tomorrow, maybe ride around the coast from Clevedon to Waitakaruru, then onto SH27, then across some of those country roads to Ngaruawahia and then back up SH22 that I've heard so many people here talking about, and find my way back to Auckland.
I figure I kinda want to avoid the main highways, as they tend to be straighter and probably busier.

Edit:
After talking with my younger (but possibly wiser at times) brother, I think the above ride is probably going to be way too long so I might just ride up to Leigh. My bro wants to go up there anyway, and I've driven up there recently too, so I know the way (then again, we might be taking more back roads this time, which I haven't done before), and I'll have company.

bikerboy
15th April 2004, 21:25
Why is everyone whimping out. Today was a great day and tomorrow will be nicer. It isn't that far to Whakatane for goodness sake.

We'll be making lots of stops and the traffic should be light as everyone was away last weekend.

The traffic to Leigh is always a bitch as most people think of it as an extension of Auckland. i know i used to go up all the time for a project up there. Weekends are worst and it doesn't matter if you take back roads or not. Besides i think your brother's advice is based on ulterior motives if he wants to go there.

Longer rides are good for building skills as you get into a rythum and can feel when you're doing things right. And we will definately be back Saturday afternoon, at least i will. Got things to do that night.

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2004, 23:47
backroads to leigh? correct me if im wrong (highly likely) but thats north right?? but not as far as wellsford??.. anyways surely SH16/backroads through Old North Road/ Peeks Road helps?! i Know it definatly does for me in Glen Eden as compared to going over the harbour bridge/ even greenhithe bridge. beats em both, and not to say i speed much at all or anything but i do tend to not watch the speedo as much doing the upper end of peeks road, so that i guess has to be taken into account. Anyways only done peeks twice now but done the the bridges a number of times when going north and im definatly happy with backroads for WAY more fun and im sure a second or two faster. + NO traffic! (relitivly speaking)

Posh Tourer :P
17th April 2004, 08:15
Those roads would be the best. However, leigh is on the east coast, so it may be a bit out of the way depending on where you come from.

Firefight
17th April 2004, 08:29
Had a call from Andrew last night, seems they got to Whakatane ok, they were flying the KB flag at a local pub :2thumbsup , so far so good !
I guess this morning might be :sick: :sick: followed by :confused2 :confused2 and then a bit of :bash: :bash:

F/F :crazy:

Andrew
17th April 2004, 23:32
The weekend was pretty cool and here is a condensed version of the fun I had.

The day started off sunny the best you can hope for. The meeting point for the crew was some café by the name of “Autobahn”, which happened to be situated just north of “North Waikato”. Erik had already arrived, so that meant the students were the first to arrive – how could that be? So we have tea/coffee talk some crap just while waiting for the others to arrive. The crew consisted of Erik, myself, Bikerboy, and Bikerboy’s mates Jesse, and Roger.

We set off through Ararimu and joined the main highway at Mangatawhiri. The main highway wasn’t too busy, no cops to be seen. After a little ambling along SH we hung a left and went through Miranda, joined up with the main highway again and over to Kopu. Pisstop and gasstop at Kopu and then back on the coromadel road over the Hikuwai hill. This was one of my favourite parts of the ride, as well as seeing a 749 go past.

Hung a right onto the Whangamata highway and battled the twisties over to Whangamata. Stopped at the beach by the carpark in Whangamata waiting for the rest of the crew to catch up, and then off again. The twisties took us over to Waihi this time. Those twisties would have to be my favourite. They were tight sweepers, which is really good for me because I didn’t need much confidence going into them.

When at Waihi I stopped at the information centre and enquired about the route over to Whakatane. When the others had caught up we took the main highway toward Tauranga. Stopped at a Chinese Takeout in Welcome bay for lunch. The only good part about this was watching Bikerboy getting attacked by seagulls – lol!

Hit the road again, quick gasstop/pisstop in Te Puke. Then the coast road down to Whakatane. It was just before 5pm before we arrived into Whakatane. Spent the next half hour looking for accommodation. A lot of places were booked up, but luckily they had room in a motel situated near the water. After checking into the motel BB had to spend good half hour looking over the brochures trying to decide where we were going to eat.

After a long calculated decision, BB opted for a Mexican Restaurant in the main drag, - all that effort and his meal turned out to be crap. I played it safe had a BLT, took me 30 secs to decide, and what would you know, I enjoyed it – go figure?

Dinner was over then it was off to the pub to get some quality drinking time in. We settled into an Irish pub for some drinks. With the exception of me, everyone only had one drink. I was quite happy to get tipsy on a couple of lion red handles and a bottle of Coruba. I wanted to stay longer but was dragged out of the pub by the rest to go back to the Motel. - I guess the older generation can only tolerate so much fun, huh?! :cool:

We walk back to the motel, by this time I guess it must have been around 10pm. BB was quite happy to turn into bed, but I was still quite wrestles. In which case I went back out into the town to look for a pool table but all the pubs were closing up. I settled with a walk to Pizza Hut and got a couple of Pizzas. You just can’t beat Whakatane’s nightlife - everything closes up so early on a Friday night. The sort of place you retire to. So I bring the pizzas back to the motel and eat some while watching some TV. Talked some crap with Jesse for half an hour then turned in shortly after midnight.

The next day dawns. I get woken by the light coming in though the curtains at 6.45. I got up at 7.15 and went for a run along the water front. This is where I took my camera and got some good photos of the still river upon which the motel virtually sat. After running for half an hour I got back to the motel. By this time BB managed to surface and mentally gears himself up for the huge task of deciding where to go for Breakfast and what to have.

Breakfast was at a Café on the main drag in Whakatane. The café looked like something out of some ponsy part of Auckland. It took half an hour just to order eggs on toast, I would have been happy with brekky at McDonalds. However you just don’t quite get the same pleasure of spending a long time choosing from a large selection at McDonalds, and that just would not do!! It took us till after 10.30 just to wake and eat breakfast – what a hard life!!

We start our journey back to Auckland. This time going toward Rotorua. After being on the road for half an hour we called in at 130 wide’s place for a cold drink and a yarn. (Thanks for waiting on us 130 Wide) Talked about riding the East Cape which appealed to me at least. The rest of us well yea……

Hit the road again. There were a few twisties along this road, good for building up my confidence. Hung a right just outside of Rotorua and headed out to Te Puke. This was actually a mistake, as we intended to go Pyes Pa – Never mind it’ll be an excuse to come for another ride to Whakatane!!!

Skimmed the outskirts of Tauranga and headed toward the Kaimai Ranges. When heading down the Kaimi ranges I spotted a car full of chicks. I took this opportunity to show off, so hung off the bike way more than I needed to. I don’t know if the girls were impressed I thought I was just a dick. Oh well I don’t care, it was fun all the same!!!

Followed the main highway over to Matamata for lunch. This was just a small lunch after such a LARGE LATE breakfast. Went to the gas station to put some gas in my bike and my eye (again). Five minutes later we were back on the main highway going toward Coromadel/Auckland.

The main highway was way too boring, so we took a detour though Tahuna to Ohinewai. This road is always fun except the sun is always setting each time I do this road, and hence quite a bit of glare. Once at Ohinewai we hopped onto the expressway.

Fifteen minutes after being on the expressway we came off at the services Mercer. Gas up have a coffee and debrief from the weekends fun. This is where I went my separate way and zipped back to Auckland on the motorway.
Thanks guys for your company it was all good fun. Now who can add something I’ve missed?! :D

Photos left to right
1) Beach Carpark at Whangamata
2) Beach at Whangamata
3) Beach Carpark at Whangamata
4) Waterfront photo at Whakatane
5) Waterfront photo at Whakatane
6) Waterfront photo at Whakatane

Andrew
17th April 2004, 23:43
More photos from left to right.

7) Beach front Whakatane
8) Beach front Whakatane
9) Main drag Whakatane
10) The famous pub at Whakatane
11) Bikes in the carpark at the motel
12) Bikes in the carpark at the motel

Andrew
17th April 2004, 23:45
The remaining photos from left to right.

13) The motel we stayed at in Whaktane.
14) Lunch in Matamata - from left to right Jesse, Erik, Bikerboy

Kwaka-Kid
18th April 2004, 15:24
sounds like yah had fun mate, sorry i could make it.
good work and nice pics.

bikerboy
18th April 2004, 17:34
Well from the tone of that synopsis I'm not sure whether Andrew enjoyed himself or not. I did though.

I do know that all of us except Andrew had several beers before and during our meal. Also his quick decision of what to eat took decidedly longer than which restaurant to eat in, having two menus to choose from.

At the pub, after a very large handle of guiness, our decision to return to the room early was prompted by a certain very jovial young man making loud comments about the locals. Judging by his unsteady steps back to the motel we all agreed it was a wise move, especially as the bartender told him he'd "remember your face mate".

The unsuccessful beer run resulted in an unhappy Andrew but at least there wasn't any :sick: that night and an early start the next morning was delayed by Andrew's poppartzzi impersonation until 9-45am.

As a frequent visitor of said Ponsonby cafes I can honestly say there are none in Whakatane. The staff's inability to cope with more than three customers resulted in our waiting (an entire fifteen minutes) for breakfast.

A second day away doing the east cape was unappealing to those responsible souls who have work commitments, unlike some students.

130 wide is a very hospitable guy with a lovely place and was keen to join us but had other commitments. Another excuse to return that way! :D

The return ride home was fast paced and saw me at least wearing a big smile from a great weekend away. :cool:

Andrew
18th April 2004, 20:52
The return ride home was fast paced and saw me at least wearing a big smile from a great weekend away. :cool:

Yes but in your version you forgot to add the part about soaring thorugh the Rimutakas. Which in your version is located north of Waiuku and west of Kumeu - right!? :shifty:

erik
19th April 2004, 00:53
Why is everyone whimping out. Today was a great day and tomorrow will be nicer. It isn't that far to Whakatane for goodness sake...

I was actually meaning that my planned ride would be too long, not the ride to Whakatane. Having only been as far as Mercer before, I thought it would be a good idea to go on a slightly longer ride just to see how I handle it before trying to ride to Whakatane. I'm not a whimp, just cautious.
But anyway, I thought the Leigh ride would be good to just see if I was up to riding the longer distance to Whakatane. As it turned out, I think riding to Leigh was actually more tiring, as we left later in the day, didn't get home till 8:40pm, and were riding in rain, through roadworks where they'd taken the road back to clay, over wet gravel roads (the bikes got real dirty after all that). Oh, and I learned that the Gecko Guard doesn't actually control weather patterns ;) And that my pants still leak. Pics from me and my brother's ride to Leigh are at: http://community.webshots.com/album/134295502WSSzbs
Still, the ride to Leigh was a fun ride. West Coast road from Araparera to Warkworth would have been a nice ride, if it hadn't been marked with 30km/h signs and was crawling with cops policing the rally cars as they were going between stages. It's got a couple of km's or so of gravel in the middle but, it wasn't so bad.

Luckily Thursday was fine, and my gear was able to dry out. My leather steel-capped boots (with not enough dubbin on them) and my leather bike gloves were both totally waterlogged; if I squeezed the gloves, water would come out like a sponge.

So come friday, my gear was all dried out, and I'd cleaned most of the mud off my bike ready for the ride to Whakatane.
There's not a hell of a lot to add to what Andrew wrote.
I've gotta say that after reading the Wellington Easter Monday ride thread, with all the crashes, and with the crash on Scenic drive on my previous kiwibiker ride, I'm bloody glad there were no incidents like that on this ride!

This was actually my first kiwibiker ride that I've completed! I thought it went pretty well.

It was interesting trying to determine where I fit in the group. Some of the time I was stuck behind Jesse (riding an FXR150), but there were one or two occasions where I plucked up the courage to overtake and push myself a bit in the twisties. No way I could keep up with Andrew though; I suspect even if I had the skills and experience necessary, I'd have a lower power to weight ratio so less acceleration/topspeed. Jeeze riding is fun though :) .

One thing Jesse pointed out to me after overtaking him once was that it looked like my chain was too loose, and told me how to adjust it. I don't think I ever read before about how to adjust a chain properly, I just kinda thought I'd get around to it soon. Anyway, I tried adjusting it after the ride, and found it was considerably tighter in some places than in others, maybe I should invest in a new chain? I've noticed before that it's pretty stiff too, so maybe the previous owner didn't look after it properly or something?
I guess I'll add that to the list of other things I need to do: change the oil, change the brake fluid, I should probably check or change the coolant, etc.

I've gotta say I liked that Irish pub. I'm not much of a drinker, but that guiness was real nice, and the pub was done up nice too, and the conversation was entertaining, so that was cool :) .

130wide has got a nice spot on that hill, and a nice house too. Thanks for inviting us for a visit.

This was actually a mistake, as we intended to go Pyes Pa

I thought it was a bit of a shame we missed that road, it sounded interesting. Oh well, next time...

I enjoyed myself and am looking forward to another ride when I've borrowed enough from the govt to pay mum back for the money I borrowed for this ride, and when I've got my uni work out the way... ;)

I took my camera on the ride, and managed to get a few photos, they're here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/135218308PPnYWF