PDA

View Full Version : What to do what to do.

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 00:04
Went out the wild west today to vist a mate.
He has just found out a bloke he knows who collects XT Yamahas(we won't go there ok)Anyway this bloke has an XS650 that he has restored to spotless
mint condition.Well he don't want it now he has restored it as it is not an XT,Work that one out??????.
So the XS is for sale but has not been put on the open market.I have been offered the bike for $1200 which is what he has spent on it.Problem being I don't have $1200 but I do have a bike I can sell for $2000 Tomorrow if I choose to.I would love to buy this bike but selling the one I already have does nothing for me at all.Owning both of them sounds like a great idea because I could keep the best of the two standard and continue with my evil plans on the other.I also have a bit of a problem with the idea of taking somebodys bike that has had this much put into it and then messing with it.
To me the only thing better than having one XS is to have two of them or even more.My westie mate who knows about these things reckons the bike for sale is totaly spotless an would sell on the open market for $3000 easy.Now the $$$ value of the thing means nothing to me but if it is as good as he says then I want it.So what do I do here,Forget it, or sell my current bike, buy this restored one and keep it as it is.(the only option really if I do buy it)Then put my plans on hold until I get another suitable bike.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

moko
10th April 2004, 04:48
All I know is that if someone offered me a "better" Fazer than the one I`ve got I wouldn`t want it.Mine`s used all the time and usually filthy,but it`s my bike,I`ve already had loads of good times on it in the few months I`ve had it,clocked up well over average Brit annual mileage over the winter.I know every little scratch and mark on it.I could probably ride the thing blindfold,got total confidence in it and dont see any point paying money for the same thing with a few less miles on it and shinier paint.Bikes aren`t like cars,a car is a means of transport,bikes you get attached to.How would you feel if you bought the other one and saw your old one around every day?If the other guys machine is that good a deal then I`d take a loan out on it and keep both.I had a CB500 once,brilliant machine that I had loads of fun on,chopped it in for a 600 Yam purely because it was nearly new and a bargain,kept comparing it to the 500 and in the end convinced myself that it was a heap of crap,it wasn`t,just that I`d sold a bike I really liked to get it and regretted it almost from the minute I rode away on the Yamaha.

Ogri
10th April 2004, 06:10
Jack

I've got the same dilema - had a Cagiva Elefant 750 back in the UK which I sold before I came out here. I just purchased a new SV650 last November and absolutely love it. But............. I also loved my Elefant. Well, here's the thing - I've just seen an almost identical Elefant at Motomart in Wellington - same paint job, etc. etc. I can't afford both, so what do I do????

In your case, what does your gut tell you?

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 11:18
Moko,Ogri, You both have some very good points.
My current XS no longer leaks because I fixed it,The top end no longer rattles because I fixed it.When I bought it, it had been neglected for about four years And iv'e spent the last six months bringing it up to scratch.
I can see that without a loan I will probably be passing on this other bike.It's times like this that my refusal to borrow money becomes a Hassle.
Ah well some body is going to get a real nice bike.
Anybody interested can contact me and I will pass on the details.
You must be an enthusiast but. :cry:

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 12:18
LOL,Iv'e just had a very good lesson on how the story changes as it goes from person to person.I rang the guy that owns this bike and found out he will never sell it but he does have a TX650A that is in bits but he is willing to part with that.If the price is right I will buy that from him. :spudwave:

Posh Tourer :P
10th April 2004, 13:27
LOL,Iv'e just had a very good lesson on how the story changes as it goes from person to person.I rang the guy that owns this bike and found out he will never sell it but he does have a TX650A that is in bits but he is willing to part with that.If the price is right I will buy that from him. :spudwave:

Problem solved then huh :)