PDA

View Full Version : Life After Bikes!

Zed
10th April 2004, 07:02
It's inevitable- one day you will stop riding motorcycles! Life circumstances change where sometimes the unthinkable is unavoidable. It may be financial, or God forbid that you have an accident which halts your riding experience, or maybe you'll just one day get too old to lift that leg over? :thud:

I had a spell off bikes for several years when I got married but eventually got back on them, I've got the "bike bug" you see. :cool:

When do you think you will stop riding? Maybe you have already- pray tell?

Zed

Two Smoker
10th April 2004, 08:09
Not going to stop until im so old i can't stand up..... I want to be like my uncle and still race at the age of 70 hehehe:niceone:

The biking bug bit me hard as, i mean i even enjoy riding the CT110 :wacko: But i guess you can't really call that a motorcycle.........:msn-wink:

Zed
10th April 2004, 08:17
Not going to stop until im so old i can't stand up..... I want to be like my uncle and still race at the age of 70 hehehe:niceone:

The biking bug bit me hard as, i mean i even enjoy riding the CT110 :wacko: But i guess you can't really call that a motorcycle.........:msn-wink:
Glad to hear your recent close call hasn't changed your mind...many would-be riders have given up after such incidents TS! :sneaky2:

Two Smoker
10th April 2004, 08:23
Glad to hear your recent close call hasn't changed your mind...many would-be riders have given up after such incidents TS! :sneaky2:
Nup definately not me, crashes are learning experiences, ive learned from it, so it will improve my riding:yes: i just hope i dont have anymore "quick" learning curves and just learn from talking reading watching an trying (without the crashing part).......

6Chris6
10th April 2004, 08:44
Nup definately not me, crashes are learning experiences, ive learned from it, so it will improve my riding:yes: i just hope i dont have anymore "quick" learning curves and just learn from talking reading watching an trying (without the crashing part).......
I agree, and thats why this site is so good we get to read about other peoples mistakes, experiences etc. And hopefully learn something from them.
For one thing i probably wouldn't have bothered getting any more gear appart from a jacket if i hadn't found this site.
And i aint gonna stop riding to i physically have to! :banana:

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 09:11
When do you think you will stop riding?

With some luck 5 seconds before the lid goes on. :apint: :Pokey: :whistle:

wkid_one
10th April 2004, 09:12
Don't think I will stop riding to some degree.......

merv
10th April 2004, 09:13
I've been riding 35 years and have no intention of stopping but what I am noticing among the people of my age is whether we like it or not our focal range of our eyes is definitely diminishing and so many of us are having to buy glasses either to allow us to read or to see distance. Its a bugger really and wearing glasses isn't like having naked eyes and it results in peripheral vision being cut down etc (I sympathise with those that have had glasses from a young age). I guess we will slow down as we get older and from what I'm finding it will be due to the eyesight problem because you just can't focus between far away and close up quickly which limits the ability to read the road and take corners quite so quickly as when we were young.

The main thing is not to imagine you are still as good as you used to be and to adjust accordingly. What would actually stop me riding I don't know - I guess it would be if I couldn't physically ride the bike safely and I've just got to make sure I judge that correctly and switch to a mobility scooter in time.

SpankMe
10th April 2004, 09:17
The day I stop riding, is the day they pry the handlebars from my cold dead fingers.

Or if I'm too old, I could always mod my SV into this.

laRIKin
10th April 2004, 09:37
The day I stop riding, is the day they pry the handlebars from my cold dead fingers.

:ride: :stupid: :ride:

MikeL
10th April 2004, 10:17
I guess we will slow down as we get older and from what I'm finding it will be due to the eyesight problem

My main problem with vision as I get older is that I find my eyes don't adjust quickly to changes in brightness levels. Riding through a twisty road in late afternoon or early morning sunshine can cause problems as I go alternately into bright sunshine and then shade and back into sunshine in the space of a few seconds. Taking the sunglasses off doesn't help. I find it much easier when there's light cloud rather than a clear sky. Apart from that any deterioration in peripheral vision, depth perception etc. if it has happened has been so gradual that I haven't noticed it. I'll stop riding when someone tells me I have become a danger to others.
Now off for a ride. Damn, the sun has come out.

Motoracer
10th April 2004, 10:18
I am haveing tons of fun at present. What ever happens in the future to change that may happen but I am not going to worry about it right now. For me its all about living it up and enjoying the moment.

Jackrat
10th April 2004, 10:37
I don't know what would stop me riding,I have considered it a few times but only as long as it takes to see another biker go past.I have health problems now that are directly due to my riding and I'm only good for a few hundred kms a day.I hope to have my ashes spread off the back of a bike on the Auckland harbour bridge one day so I guess that sums it up fairly well.

Ms Piggy
10th April 2004, 11:39
Given the fact that I have only just discovered riding as my new love :love: I think the only thing that would put temporary brakes on riding would be if I was pregnant (not that this is a plan anytime). I couldn't imagine being able to negotiate riding with a big belly & the risk of injury from binning wouldn't just be to me.

Can't think of anything else that would stop me :niceone:

Kickaha
10th April 2004, 12:33
I think the only thing that would put temporary brakes on riding would be if I was pregnant (not that this is a plan anytime). I couldn't imagine being able to negotiate riding with a big belly & the risk of injury from binning wouldn't just be to me.

:niceone:

If that happens just get a sidecar!

I have ridden off and on over 25 years on the road and the track and barring some kind of accident or medical problem will until I die.

Zed
10th April 2004, 13:15
...Or if I'm too old, I could always mod my SV into this.
Reminds me of a modern version of the "George & Mildred" vehicle! :eek:

Kickaha
10th April 2004, 13:30

Or if I'm too old, I could always mod my SV into this.

Get me one while you're at it,what a awesome peice of kit!

wkid_one
10th April 2004, 14:49
Reminds me of a modern version of the "George & Mildred" vehicle! :eek:
No you mention it - Mr Roper and Ash have a freaky resemblance

Indiana_Jones
10th April 2004, 15:02
THAT DAY WILL NEVER COME, JUST LIKE THE FALL OF COMMUNISM IN RUSSIA!

Buggered if I know what I'm gonna do.......maybe drink? :apint:

-Indy

James Deuce
10th April 2004, 15:12
I have trouble thinking what I am going to do after today, let alone after biking.

Drew
10th April 2004, 17:15
It's inevitable- one day you will stop riding motorcycles! Life circumstances change where sometimes the unthinkable is unavoidable. It may be financial, or God forbid that you have an accident which halts your riding experience, or maybe you'll just one day get too old to lift that leg over? :thud:

I had a spell off bikes for several years when I got married but eventually got back on them, I've got the "bike bug" you see. :cool:

Zed

When I cant ride anymore I'm going to join Destiny Church and go for rides on the back of Pastor Brian Tamali's HD Deuce. :Pokey:

And then hang around internet forums and preach about how bad it is to speed'n shit :laugh:

Skyryder
12th April 2004, 20:15
Stop. :ride: ?? Still keep riding in the next life.

Skyryder

Zed
12th April 2004, 20:42
Stop. :ride: ?? Still keep riding in the next life.

Skyryder
That must be some far out biker cult you're involved in! ;)

DEATH_INC.
12th April 2004, 21:43
There is no life after riding......

Motu
12th April 2004, 22:43
I would have to be physicaly unable to ride - at my age now (50) I can feel my body doing things,old injuries(hips,knees) my hands get pains and I can feel pains in what feel like ligaments in my arms,after my ride this weekend my elbows are very sore.I don't feel old,don't feel slow,my vision and reactions on the road are still ok,but I need Wharehouse glasses to read.I feel I should be ok for at least another 10,20 yrs,I kinda feel mortal,never felt that way before.

SPman
12th April 2004, 22:50
:niceone::niceone::niceone:

scumdog
12th April 2004, 23:56
I would have to be physicaly unable to ride - at my age now (50) I can feel my body doing things,old injuries(hips,knees) my hands get pains and I can feel pains in what feel like ligaments in my arms,after my ride this weekend my elbows are very sore.I don't feel old,don't feel slow,my vision and reactions on the road are still ok,but I need Wharehouse glasses to read.I feel I should be ok for at least another 10,20 yrs,I kinda feel mortal,never felt that way before.

Hey Motu, I can relate to that!! I am 50+ and know what the "ouch" factor is but if it has tits or wheels I love it!!
Me and Chrissy-Bimbo just love bikes, no matter what they are, we ride a H-D but ain't got attitude that some non H-D riders have, when we can't ride then we'll use the (hot) rod, when we can't use that, well I guess we'll be dead!!!

Me & C.B. just love to party, you got one going? just give us a call, we'll be there - even if ya don't want us!!! :apint:

vifferman
13th April 2004, 11:33
I've thought about giving up. Especially when I was lying on my back on the road last year after pranging my VFR, and thinking, "Fark! This hurts!!" I very nearly gave up then, and even had a car (Alfa Romeo) lined up to buy with the insurance money. I still sometimes think about it, but now it's more because I commute every day on the bike, and it's getting to be a drag, especially given that I almost never go for rides just for fun. Like in the weekend. Instead of working on the house.

The interesting thing now is that a couple of times since buying the VTR, I've talked about selling it, and my wife won't let me! She's only been on it twice, but she actually enjoyed it both times, and has now got her own gear. Weird thing that, especially since it's much less comfy than the VFR or VF were, but she actually likes being perched up on the pillion looking over my noggin!

I can sympathise with the "give it up coz it hurts" brigade, as I find it a bit painful sometimes, with arthritis (and no, I'm not ancient yet). I think I'm more likely to give up the VTR and go to a less ergonomically challenged bike now, than give up bikes altogether.

Holy Roller
13th April 2004, 11:47
Old injuries certainly have that nusience factor, But I'm determined to ride until I no longer can. Then I'll TRIKE it and ride 3 wheels no problem with geting a leg over then or with balance. :cool:

Big Dog
13th April 2004, 17:48
Life circumstances change where sometimes the unthinkable is unavoidable.
I imagine the next time I give up biking will be because my curcumstances have changed ie
I will be in financial trouble due to being to old to work, and without a govt super.

It will go something like this....

Being to old to swing a leg will result in an an accident, thus terminating my riding experience rather suddenly.
It doesn't have to mind, but it does when I get turned away from a user pays Hospital because, although I pay really high ACC levies they no longer recognise us as a comunity (due to elevated risk eg .000004% more likely die as a result of a motor accident), and I can't afford private care.
I was only suffering from treatable injuries (especially as this is 2074), but I was sent home ... to the grafton bridge..... that being the only rent I could afford (given property prices in Auckland now) and still have covered parking AND afford gas (given that ACC levies, Road user Levies (pre paid speeding tickets) registration, and wof's are now automatic before you even get paid or the bloody thing won't start) on the pitiful annual $F120 ($120,000,000 in todays currency) superanuation I bought in 2007 for half my paycheck for the next 67 years (Mandatory retirement is now 100) thinking that was a lot of money.
Having been refused treatmant and sent back to my bridge with minor grazes I quickly sucomb to pneumonia and a myriad of infections.
And so it was that on the 18/01/2074 after 76/82 years of riding I gave it up after 4 days of retirement, My only regrets being that I crashed on the first day of my retirement and died on the fourth, oh and that hell on earth 6 years when I was stupid enough to sell the bike as a way of raining funds.

Epilogue: Acc used my death by pnuemonia as a crash related death so that they could elevate the ACC levy by a further $F6 every six months.
This Money is used to ensure that no motorcyclist is allowed into an ER under false pretenses ie pretending they were just sleeping ( the only thing acc still covers)
The govt uses the statistic that I died four days after retirement to convince the public that there is not enough health spending and puts up taxes by 12%. They also decide that because I smoked for 12 years the pneumonia must be cigarette related and puts cigarette taxes up a further 5%.
They also decide it may have been due the trauma of having to give up work after only 90 years of paying taxes, and raise madatory to 105.

The obituiary reads
Here lies Big Dog
14/01/1974-18/01/2074
And his beloved motorbike
2070-2074
Buried here with him because we could not pry it from his cold dead hands!
:apint: :bleh: :eek5:

What?
13th April 2004, 19:59
I don't believe in life after bikes, but if I did I would be a Buddhist so as to be reincarnated as a motorcyclist.

FROSTY
13th April 2004, 23:42
Ill give up bikes the day I'm buried.
If my back gives out then Ill get a trike built

tassle
25th August 2004, 21:15
this "bike bug" you talk of, my wife would like to know if there is a cure, she didnt think my cure of another bike was the answer.Any help on this condition would be appreciated.(getting over three years without bike)

Zed
25th August 2004, 23:00
this "bike bug" you talk of, my wife would like to know if there is a cure, she didnt think my cure of another bike was the answer.Any help on this condition would be appreciated.(getting over three years without bike)IMHO, if you have ever caught the "bike bug" and then found yourself unable to ride for one reason or another, you will suffer the symptoms of misery & envy for the rest of your life! :crazy:

The only real "cure" is to ride in one capacity or another, whether it be road riding, track riding/racing, off roading - whatever will give you that two-wheeled fix!

Zed

loosebruce
26th August 2004, 00:05

Short n sweet, my thoughts exactly, when the day cames that i can no longer ride a sports bike i'll be on a super charged v-rod, when i can no longer hold on i'll die peacefully (maybe)

Bob
26th August 2004, 00:26
Our focal range of our eyes is definitely diminishing and so many of us are having to buy glasses either to allow us to read or to see distance. Its a bugger really and wearing glasses isn't like having naked eyes and it results in peripheral vision being cut down etc (I sympathise with those that have had glasses from a young age). I guess we will slow down as we get older and from what I'm finding it will be due to the eyesight problem because you just can't focus between far away and close up quickly which limits the ability to read the road and take corners quite so quickly as when we were young.

Wear Contact lenses rather than glasses. They're right on the eye, so it is exactly the same as having 'normal' eyesight (except for the small jelly-like things on your eyes of course). Peripheral vision remains unaffected.

I've been short-sighted since I was 17. Back then I wore glasses... and found my eyes deteriorated a little every few years. Then I tried contact lenses. Since then the prescription has never changed (though one eye is so borderline that they went through a spell of not being sure which strength lens I should have).

I've never ridden a bike wearing glasses (I didn't start riding until well after I switched to lenses), but I do know people that have always worn glasses (one of whom is a damned fast rider and once got within 10 seconds of the lap record at Castle Combe circuit) and it doesn't seem to give them any problems.

Back on the subject though... don't think I'll give up until I'm not strong enough to ride. I might cut back and maybe drop down to a smaller capacity machine (currently on an SV650S, but I might look at a baby cruiser or something once I don't need the performance to survive rush hour traffic!), but I'd like to think I'll carry on riding while I still can.

Blakamin
26th August 2004, 08:29
Wear Contact lenses rather than glasses. They're right on the eye, so it is exactly the same as having 'normal' eyesight (except for the small jelly-like things on your eyes of course). Peripheral vision remains unaffected.

I've been short-sighted since I was 17. Back then I wore glasses... and found my eyes deteriorated a little every few years. Then I tried contact lenses. Since then the prescription has never changed (though one eye is so borderline that they went through a spell of not being sure which strength lens I should have).

I've never ridden a bike wearing glasses (I didn't start riding until well after I switched to lenses), but I do know people that have always worn glasses (one of whom is a damned fast rider and once got within 10 seconds of the lap record at Castle Combe circuit) and it doesn't seem to give them any problems.

Glasses on a bike suck! been doing it for so long... until last monday when i got my first set of contacts!!! absolutely amazing!

I'm going to ride until I cant. by then i wont be able to see, hear or move so i'll get someone to "work" my wheelchair.
then i'll die
:bye:

James Deuce
26th August 2004, 08:49
Can't wear contacts. I'm allergic to the protein build up that comes from covering your corneas.

Hooks
26th August 2004, 09:08
I gave up riding 15 years ago to be a responsible parent :cool2: ....then when that was turned on it's head I thought WTF !! and now I ride every day :2thumbsup ... even on a reduced income I can still get out and enjoy it ... and real soon when I have a bit more money to spend I'm getting on the track for some serious irresponsibilty !!! :ar15:
I don't think I'll stop from here on ..... I've told the kids they can bury the bike with me .... but knowing my son he'll drop a dunga in and keep whatever I've got when I go ..... unless of course I've managed to go out on it !! :beer:

NC
26th August 2004, 09:11
:blink: I don't think I will, I love em' too much :love:

riffer
26th August 2004, 10:01
Can't wear contacts. I'm allergic to the protein build up that comes from covering your corneas.
I have some of the new types which allow for Oxygen to pass through them a lot easier, as I have the same problem. They work well for me. I'll show you them tomorrow Jim.

I'd like to wear them more often but as I suffer from Photophobia (apparently a diabetes complication but I've had it since I crashed my bike when I was 18) I have to wear sunglasses anyway so I might as well wear my glasses.

Cajun
26th August 2004, 10:03
mmm life after bikes, well bikes are my life, so once i don't have that i won't have a life to live for then aye.

Hitcher
26th August 2004, 10:07
There's always the laser...

Blakamin
26th August 2004, 10:12
I have some of the new types which allow for Oxygen to pass through them a lot easier, as I have the same problem. They work well for me. I'll show you them tomorrow Jim.

I'd like to wear them more often but as I suffer from Photophobia (apparently a diabetes complication but I've had it since I crashed my bike when I was 18) I have to wear sunglasses anyway so I might as well wear my glasses.

I havent got prescription sunnies... at least no tho i can wear some!

James Deuce
26th August 2004, 10:30

Tried them, doesn't help. Tried daily, weekly, and monthly disposables too. No go.

James Deuce
26th August 2004, 10:31
There's always the laser...
More scared of the laser than I am worried about my vision defect. With my luck it will go wrong and I'll end up with thicker glasses.

moko
26th August 2004, 10:44
you will suffer the symptoms of misery & envy for the rest of your life! :crazy:
Zed

Zed,
Buddhism addresses all of these inner problems of yours,your obvious need for inner peace is apparent in all that you post on here,you can then change your username to Zen in celebration of becoming a more "whole" person

moko
26th August 2004, 10:50
More scared of the laser than I am worried about my vision defect. With my luck it will go wrong and I'll end up with thicker glasses.

I`ve had really bad eyesight since the age of 5.I dont know whether glasses affect my peripheral vision or not because I dont know any different.What I do know is they`re a pain in the arse in many,many ways and I nearly had laser treatment myself about 5 years ago.Thing is the literature all looked good,got as far as my Doc O.Kaying it but when the date got closer,and I`d paid a deposit,THEN they sent me a disclaimer and a list of potential side-effects a mile long.The chance of suffering any of them was pretty slim but who`s going to gamble with their eye-sight?There was a 1 in 200 chance of me getting D.V.T. on a long-haul flight but I was that 1 in 200 so no more gambling where my health is involved,if "odds" are mentioned anywhere and it possibly affects my health then I aint playing.

moko
26th August 2004, 10:59
Bloke that cuts my hair is 68,looks at least 15 years younger.Still rides a 600 Bandit all over Europe on rallies,his favourite run is to Switzerland.Reckons he`s going to buy his last bike for his 70th birthday and is thinking about what to get being realistic about what to get that he`ll be able to ride for a few years after that.just seen a V-Max for sale in a mag,"68 year-old rider buying a smaller bike" and a book I was given about N.Z. bikers features a guy who`d ordered another Buell for his 80th birthday.I`ve been riding for nearly 30 years without ever having had a bike,cant see any reason why I`d want to,question of attitude really.Probably get a trail-bke next though purely because I`ve got very little self-control and more than pushed my luck with speed cameras lately.

FROSTY
26th August 2004, 12:16
Dude the laser is a piece of piss. I had the old treatment -The knife and Ive had No problems other than a short term intollerence to cigarette smoke and temporarry starring of tailights whilst driving at night. -Actually I miss it -it looked to purdy.
keep in mind too that they do one eye at a time so yea its a 1 in 200 chance but I've never heard of anyone ever having worse eysight than before the op
The only bummer is once youve done it theres no going back . so I can't wear colored contacts

toads
26th August 2004, 12:22
we intend to keep riding until it is no longer possible/ or pleasurable, we have other stuff we like to do also so we will just have to wait and see, one thing I have learnt throughout life thus far is you never know what is around the corner and it really doesn't pay to speculate too much about what might happen tomorrow.

Paul in NZ
26th August 2004, 13:26
When I'm too old to ride I'll restore the Guzzi and move it into the lounge.
Or work on my grandsons racebike
or just drink more...

BTW Too old is pretty friggin OLD.

Mongoose
26th August 2004, 13:31
I have thought about this in the past, as you do. My thinking would be if a bike is out, then it would have to be a trike, rerived from a bike. IF the old creaky body caint sling a leg over then a biker trike(V8?) that a wheel chair could be rolled up onto.

Blakamin
26th August 2004, 17:14
Just had a long think.... ther is NO life after bikes... I'll be getting about till my daughter throws me in a home, and then i'm dead.. shes nearly 10 months old, so i got a little while to go

James Deuce
26th August 2004, 17:22
Just had a long think.... ther is NO life after bikes... I'll be getting about till my daughter throws me in a home, and then i'm dead

You already live in Raumati. Not far to go.

babyB
26th August 2004, 21:55
Given the fact that I have only just discovered riding as my new love :love: I think the only thing that would put temporary brakes on riding would be if I was pregnant (not that this is a plan anytime). I couldn't imagine being able to negotiate riding with a big belly & the risk of injury from binning wouldn't just be to me.

Can't think of anything else that would stop me :niceone:

lol its not the riding thats the problem Celtic, its trying to squeez in to ya leathers & trying to borrow some that will fit....
well i dont get to ride enough with the kids still young... the time has come for me to stop racing and when i have to give up completly for heath reasons..well im sure ill still b involved in someway, some things ya just never get outta ya system... lol hell the new relese in r/c bikes is cool...cant see me ever sellin the bandit though (no mattee what happens)

Blakamin
26th August 2004, 21:58
You already live in Raumati. Not far to go.

grrrrrr
:bleh:

FROSTY
26th August 2004, 22:03
lol its not the riding thats the problem Celtic, its trying to squeez in to ya leathers & trying to borrow some that will fit....
well i dont get to ride enough with the kids still young... the time has come for me to stop racing and when i have to give up completly for heath reasons..well im sure ill still b involved in someway, some things ya just never get outta ya system... lol hell the new relese in r/c bikes is cool...cant see me ever sellin the bandit though (no mattee what happens)
Bullshit YOU --you will be out there next month if I have to drag ya there screamin and kickin.
:mad: :mad:

gav
26th August 2004, 22:03
There was a 1 in 200 chance of me getting D.V.T. on a long-haul flight but I was that 1 in 200 so no more gambling where my health is involved,if "odds" are mentioned anywhere and it possibly affects my health then I aint playing.
And yet you chose to ride a motorcycle? interesting.............. :mellow:

moko
27th August 2004, 08:03
And yet you chose to ride a motorcycle? interesting.............. :mellow:

Bikes are only as dangerous as you make them,I never take chances,dosn`t mean you have to ride slowly or not have fun,just realise there`s a time and a place,always ride within your capabilities and always put safety first,I do 20,000+ K`s a year in all weathers,not come off since 1979 and that was learner driver doing something really,really brainless.If I thought I was a danger to myself because of age or infirmity then I`d jack it in.

bgd
27th August 2004, 20:00
I haven't been in this game long enough to consider what happens after. Although I am expanding my horizons - the mountain bike comes out this weekend to investigate all these trails (that I've only just noticed) around my area. I think there will always be 2 wheels in my future.

Milky
27th August 2004, 23:20
The only bummer is once youve done it theres no going back . so I can't wear colored contacts
Why no coloured contacts? I was offered the chance to get laser surgery when it came out - PRK i think - but decided to wait until my eye growth/condition had stabilised. Maybe sometime in the next 5 or so years it might be possible. The only -ve I have heard is something about not being able to be a pilot because of the reduction in cornea thickness, thus more susceptible to changes in pressure. How bad was your eyesight before you got yours done? Mine is -4.50 in both eyes, which equates to being able to see the lines on my palm at a small handspan away from my nose - maybe 12-15cm

dhunt
28th August 2004, 10:48
How's this for a last ride
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3187&stc=1

David

Blakamin
28th August 2004, 10:51
How's this for a last ride

David

I wouldnt be seen dead on that!
:eek:

scumdog
28th August 2004, 11:24
Got their business card at home in case you need it.......

Storm
28th August 2004, 12:05
I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 6 1/2 and when I gave them up for 3 years I got withdrawl something chronic. So I got a scooter to get used to road conditions and then a GN250 and now my GSX250FL and I will have to have my ass prised off it with a crowbar before I stop riding. Already stopped once and withdrawl wasnt good :eek: :wacko: :calm: . Bikes are the best since since sliced bread. End of story

FROSTY
28th August 2004, 13:04
Why no coloured contacts? I was offered the chance to get laser surgery when it came out - PRK i think - but decided to wait until my eye growth/condition had stabilised. Maybe sometime in the next 5 or so years it might be possible. The only -ve I have heard is something about not being able to be a pilot because of the reduction in cornea thickness, thus more susceptible to changes in pressure. How bad was your eyesight before you got yours done? Mine is -4.50 in both eyes, which equates to being able to see the lines on my palm at a small handspan away from my nose - maybe 12-15cm
I think mine was 4.2 and 4.5 dioptres (sp) The whole reason I got mine done was to fly and I had no worries with medical clearance--I used dr ring in auckland and he does a lot of air NZ pilots
the problem with the opp i had was scarring on the cornia makes wearing contacts impossible.

Da Bird
28th August 2004, 19:04
I spent 6 hours at a fatal crash last night where a biker went into the rear of a moving truck, came off and got run over by a B Train Truck and Trailer unit on SH 1 Bombay. Won't go into the gory details but that nearly got me hanging my gloves up.

Big Dog
6th September 2004, 16:09
Bikes are the best since since sliced bread. End of story
Nah, since the invention of the wheel mate! Sliced bread was only a refinement, the motorcycle is a lifestyle. :ride:

Fryin Finn
6th September 2004, 16:32
I am no wa very old 18 year old and decided not long ago to make provision for the time when I am no longer able to ride by recording all my bike photos I ever had onto CD's. I also bought a helmet cam recently and intend to video as many rides and races as I can afford - copy onto DVD and proceed to bore friends and Family for the rest of our lives.
Anyway I reckon by the time I retire thre will be some shit hot computer games for us old bikies :sunny:
:doctor:
After a 22 year break from dirtbikes i resumed the sport and loving every minute. You are never too old but can always be too scared.

gav
6th September 2004, 17:02
Hey, I wear contacts, try -10.5 and -11.0 !! :eek5:

Hitcher
6th September 2004, 17:03
Those aren't contacts, they're milk bottles!

PeteThePom
6th September 2004, 22:53

Zed
When hell freezes over and God lends Satan a space heater to help him out!

Zed
6th September 2004, 23:00
When hell freezes over...
You mean 'never' don't you Pete!

badlieutenant
6th September 2004, 23:42
I spent 6 hours at a fatal crash last night where a biker went into the rear of a moving truck, came off and got run over by a B Train Truck and Trailer unit on SH 1 Bombay. Won't go into the gory details but that nearly got me hanging my gloves up.
must affect ur riding ? Id be a liar if i said I didnt speed a little every now and then but having said that i know im no way as reckless as i used to be. Im a bloody nana round 50k zones. have images of weee johny running out onto the rode and into my spokes. Christ if that happened id be hanging more than my gloves up, dont know if id make it to the court hearing. I accept the risks and if i did kill myself with my own stupidity thats my own fault but hurting someone else is unacceptable. It is possible to minimize risk to your self and others. :Playnice:

aff-man
7th September 2004, 01:05
Don't know i don't think i would to be honest. Unless physically unable. If so i'll just put a third wheel on a busa and bob's your uncle away i go.

Now i had better start the plans on putting a 500cc 2 smoker engine in a wheelchair :killingme

Dodgyiti
7th September 2004, 14:53
I have thought about pensioner mobility carts, there has to be something a little more grunty surely?
And I was thinking about them whilst laid up on the sofa for 3 months, amazing what the brain comes up with when you don't have Sky or a Playstation.
So my conclusion was to put a PE 250 motor into a lengthened gocart frame, and wheel myself on. :eek:
And strap the chair and prepare to wheelie :killingme

merv
7th September 2004, 15:04
So my conclusion was to put a PE 250 motor into a lengthened gocart frame, and wheel myself on. :eek:
And strap the chair and prepare to wheelie :killingme

You must have had that motor lying round a while. I had hair back when they made those.

Milky
7th September 2004, 21:14
In other words, blind...