PDA

View Full Version : Coming to NZ - Yamaha Fazer 600

TheDrake
21st February 2006, 06:27
I'm a brit coming out to NZ in September (NZ girlfriend), and bringing my Yamaha Fazer FZS600S, since the availability over there appears to be pretty low.

It's going to cost me about 290GBP to ship her (the bike) which is about NZ$725. My bike is worth £2400 here but the only similar bike I could find for sale in NZ was £3500. I hope somebody out there could help me with a few questions.

1. Are there any additional import costs for a private bike not for resale?
2. Are there any lurking import charges/taxes if I were to bring say two extra bikes over?
3. Anyone fancy a Fazer (or other bike) from the UK in September?

Thanks for your help.

SDU
6th March 2006, 10:07
Hi Drake, welcome to the nuthouse.
I heard a few years ago (it maybe different now) that you have to keep the bike for at least a year before selling it to avoid paying some custom/import fees.
Try searching for the info you need on
http://www.nzgovt.co.nz/
There are a few people on site here who have possibly bought their bikes with them here who may be able to help.
What part are you thinking of coming to? have you toured over here before?
Good luck with the shift.
Cheers
SDU

Ninja51
13th March 2006, 15:45
Hi there...

I shipped my ZX9 out from England just over a year ago. It still hasn't arrived! Only joking. It did arrive pretty well on time. (I tracked the container on the net - me? Anal? Never!) The bike was fine but the crate was shot to buggery. It was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. There may be some past threads on here about my experience.
Whatever you do, dont use Frontier Forwarding. How the bike got here in one piece is beyond me. And when you go to the arrival point, take a digital camera with you to record the condition and oversee the unloading. My ZX9 was stacked haphazardly ontop of a consignment of shoes in the truck from Auckland to Wellington. The bloody fork lift driver nearly dropped it as it was lowered down from a great height! Funnily enough, my bike came from Oxfordshire too. Good luck. You'll love it when you get here.

TheDrake
25th April 2006, 00:54
Thanks for your help guys. Looking forward to getting out there with a bike in one piece.

Troll
25th April 2006, 08:32
1. Are there any additional import costs for a private bike not for resale?
2. Are there any lurking import charges/taxes if I were to bring say two extra bikes over?
3. Anyone fancy a Fazer (or other bike) from the UK in September?

Thanks for your help.

have shipped bikes both ways

check that your contract includes clearance costs at the other end otherwise you will get stung

you can bring as many bikes as you like but if you have owned them less than 12 months you will get stung

you may have to hold onto the bikes for 12 months or so in nz otherwise you may have to pay gst and the like - check this out

nz customs has a good website with the latest info, it keeps changing

Titanium
25th April 2006, 08:51
http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Motor+Vehicles/Imports+from+Australia%2c+Japan%2c+UK.htm#paraTitl e03

TheDrake
25th April 2006, 23:53
Thanks again for your help. I've been looking at the customs websites and know that I have to way up the costs, particularly if I want to bring a bike over for profit, i.e. buy and sell within 12 months. Are there any really desirable models that are difficult to get hold of over there? The (old carbureted) Fazer 600 is a great first bike, well respected over here but can't seem to find any for sale over there (except a 400cc japanese import). A decent 2002 model here is about 6250NZ$, can't seem to find much for that money on NZ websites.

badsax64
2nd June 2006, 23:04
Hi matey
You'll be required to do some documentation that assures customs and the tax man that you wont dispose of the bike ie sell it. Reason for this is that when you bring it in to NZ its exempt GST(VAT)If you dispose of the bike while here...they will ping you for the tax!
Seeya
Jamie