PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hardware Nerd Help Required

sAsLEX
5th March 2006, 12:40
Righto with the SB coming on soon would be great for a quick reply.

Ok I have a Leadtek 2000 XP Tv card, now something has happened to the drivers I think and is stopping the video capture part of the thing working, sent an email to Leadtek and they think it is one of the drivers becoming corrupted.

I have changed/reinstalled the latest drivers off thier website, which were working in the past, I have also moved it to another slot on the MB to see if that would help but I still have the same error.

so the question is: How, without reinstalling windows, would I completely clear all traces of this device from my system so I can do a full reinstall?? I ask this as I have tried to do it, but on reinstall it still remembers all my preset stations so musn't be uninstalling properly.

Else a reinstall of windows is in the cards all so I can watch sky on my tv card!

Lazy7
5th March 2006, 13:04
try rolling back windows to the last restore point before the card stopped working.

sAsLEX
5th March 2006, 13:07
try rolling back windows to the last restore point before the card stopped working.

yeah was going to but that is.......well cant remember how long ago it stopped working........could do as you can reverse that and it only affects drivers etc dont it? not saved data?

Lazy7
5th March 2006, 13:19
it doesn't touch your files. only hardware and software settings for the OS and any installed software that effects it.

if you click on each restore point it will tell you (before you remove it) what it will be changing...

as in "wednesday, 28th February: Installed Microsoft Office."

so restoring to that point will remove microsoft office... etc.

sAsLEX
5th March 2006, 13:46
sweet tried it but it dont go back far enough! So will have to keep trying other things, then finally give up and reinstally windows....again

Warr
5th March 2006, 13:57
Sounds like I have the same card in mt PC. If you have some SKY decoder s/ware I am of course interested :)

As to your delema sorry I cant be of much assistance. I have had problems at times and too thought a fresh install would sort it out. I went to the extent of running the card in another box I had to prove it wasnt the card at fault.
In the end I went through all the directories for the applicaion and ran every execuitable I could find till it gave me the config options. I was then able to restart app. all ok.

sAsLEX
5th March 2006, 14:01
If you have some SKY decoder s/ware I am of course interested :)

No of course not that would be illegal........but do you have an email *pm me* that could recieve a few mb?

Pathos
5th March 2006, 16:00
You can uninstall drivers by going Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Just right click on the device goto drivers and choose uninstall.

I wouldn't be surprised if it still keeps the channel settings that stuff is probably kept in windows stupid registry or in some random file scattered on the hard drive somewhere.

sAsLEX
5th March 2006, 16:04
You can uninstall drivers by going Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Just right click on the device goto drivers and choose uninstall.

I wouldn't be surprised if it still keeps the channel settings that stuff is probably kept in windows stupid registry or in some random file scattered on the hard drive somewhere.

yip thats what I did, and still keeps the settings and the error!!

Lazy7
5th March 2006, 16:19
have you tried removing the card from the machine, booting it up and removing all the software. keep on removing stuff till it stops erroring.

use the uninstal software that came with the card and also remove any related installed software like aps and stuff. remove any reference to the card from teh device manager and make sure its completely gone.

then run a registry cleaner like regclean to remove all redundant entries in the registry table. finally to be sure, remove all references to the software from the registry if they are there, and any folders left behind in the file system by the software.

it should be gone by now!

then install the card physically in the box, boot up the computer and run the install of fresh drivers, the latest ones you can find from the website.

if this doesn't work - then there is a demon in your PC. you will need a young priest, an old priest, some holy water and a four poster bed with hand and foot ties. recite after me...

the power of christ compels you.

the POWER of CHRIST compels you!

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!

Teflon
5th March 2006, 16:20
try deleting anything related to your Leadtek card from the registry. (uninstall first)

Sniper
5th March 2006, 19:20
What Teflon said. But I would be inclined to see if it is a firmware fault.

Wellyman
5th March 2006, 19:23
have you tried removing the card from the machine, booting it up and removing all the software. keep on removing stuff till it stops erroring.

use the uninstal software that came with the card and also remove any related installed software like aps and stuff. remove any reference to the card from teh device manager and make sure its completely gone.

then run a registry cleaner like regclean to remove all redundant entries in the registry table. finally to be sure, remove all references to the software from the registry if they are there, and any folders left behind in the file system by the software.

it should be gone by now!

then install the card physically in the box, boot up the computer and run the install of fresh drivers, the latest ones you can find from the website.

if this doesn't work - then there is a demon in your PC. you will need a young priest, an old priest, some holy water and a four poster bed with hand and foot ties. recite after me...

the power of christ compels you.

the POWER of CHRIST compels you!

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!

Try that and as an earlier post said uninstall through the control panel

Lias
6th March 2006, 15:02
Sky:
*cough* http://hvcplus.cjb.net/ *cough*

As for nuking the drivers.

Try these steps. Make a system resotre point beforehand, I take no responsability if you completely bollox everything up.

Open up device manager, find the device in question.
Goto properties -> details -> Hardware ID's
You should see several entires alone the lines of
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_103B&blahblah
search c:\windows\inf for any *.inf files containing "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_103B" (replace this with your string)
Write down the names of the files it finds (most likely oem##.inf with ## being a number)
Delete any INF and PNF files with that name ie oem6.inf, oem6.pnf
Open up regedit
HKLM>System>CurrentControlSet>Enum->PCI->
delete any keys with a matching vendor and device ID

Wonko
6th March 2006, 17:29
if you can find the install log, you can then tell what has been installed, and then manually restore or remove these items. Be warned that if you remove anything files that is critical for windows or another app, your computer may have a hissy.

To get the log, you could try installing again, log should be in the installation directory.

TwoSeven
6th March 2006, 18:11
There is a driver removal tool on the leadtek website I think.

sAsLEX
6th March 2006, 18:14
There is a driver removal tool on the leadtek website I think.

Which is crap!!!!!!!!

The actual root of the problem turns out, I hope, to be the EEPROM of the TV card in that it can be re written with the incorrect SSID, this is caused by of all things BF2!!!

Have a solution I am going to try tonight so hopefully will have it fixed in time for the next round!

EZAS
6th March 2006, 19:50
What you need to do is ... get yourself a 7800GT Dual.
You are right with the BF2 thing, I had to uninstall my latest drivers for a 9600pro and install older drivers for the card to work correctly + over clock the bloody thing.BF2 ruined my sound card drivers as well. (neded re-installing) + it auto turns off the microphone.
But appart from that BF2 is great.

sAsLEX
6th March 2006, 20:11
nah will keep my chipset so i can see sky for cheap

fixed now will have to see if it was bf2 or the special forces one

TwoSeven
6th March 2006, 20:17
How does BF2 write to another products EEPROM ?

It would have to bypass the directx/direct sound platform that its built on would it not ?

sAsLEX
6th March 2006, 21:43
How does BF2 write to another products EEPROM ?

It would have to bypass the directx/direct sound platform that its built on would it not ?

dunno, the TV card shouldnt even be being used with bf2 ffs oh well its an easy fix now I know how

2_SL0
7th March 2006, 11:19
Did someone say BF2.
MEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIC.

Sniper
7th March 2006, 11:27
Hmmm, not firmware, damn

Mental Trousers
7th March 2006, 13:51
One thing you can do is a repair reinstall.

Boot off the Windows cd (you do have one of those right??), choose to Install and it'll search for your current installation, then choose Repair and it'll reinstall Windows but keep all of your settings etc then update it. You'll have to reinstall some programmes, but it'll keep everything that's important.