PDA

View Full Version : How cheap and you go?

Motu
5th March 2006, 13:30
I put an anchor in my shed today.I don't have a hammer drill,but do have the Black & Decker 2 speed my mother gave me for my 21st birthday,31 yrs ago,it'll be slow,but I've got all day.But it needs a new 1/2 chuck,it crapped out and I've just got a 3/8 on it now.So yesterday I go down to Bunnings to see if I can find a 1/2 chuck...they don't have any chucks - ''Why don't you buy a new drill,it'd be cheaper than a new chuck'' says a salesman.

So I go and have a look at some drills - they have a hammer drill with 13mm chuck,variable speed,and reverse - $16.85 WTF?? Even if it only drills 2 holes it's worth that.How the hell can they make and sell them that cheap? Someones getting ripped off,and it's not me.

Lazy7
5th March 2006, 13:35
shit IS getting cheap bro. but you do get what you pay for. drilling through concrete probably will smoke it, but it will be worth it. $16 you can't really complain... and it means you wont fry your 21st present that you've had for 35 years... must be some sentimental value in that sucker.

old tools are the best tools. still got my grandfathers socket set. its been to hell and back and i always end up pulling it out after i've fucked my ratchets and sockets from my powerbuilt kit.

Flatcap
5th March 2006, 13:37
Yep - there are some very cheap tools out there. If you only going to use it once or twice I say go for the cheap option. It sounds like you don't need De Walt tools.....

They all comes down the same conveyor belt in China anyway - just gets different branded plastic bodies put on before they are boxed...

Pathos
5th March 2006, 16:08
I've got a feeling that chuck won't make it through. The drill will keep going as long as you don't try make it do too much but the chucks probably made of lead.

But tools are cheap if you don't mind sacrificing quality.

for $60 I bought a kit from repco that has everything you need to dismantle my bike and put it back together again (if you don't mind taking off the tyres with a screwdriver :P ).

FlyingDutchMan
5th March 2006, 16:24
I put an anchor in my shed today.I don't have a hammer drill,but do have the Black & Decker 2 speed my mother gave me for my 21st birthday,31 yrs ago,it'll be slow,but I've got all day.But it needs a new 1/2 chuck,it crapped out and I've just got a 3/8 on it now.So yesterday I go down to Bunnings to see if I can find a 1/2 chuck...they don't have any chucks - ''Why don't you buy a new drill,it'd be cheaper than a new chuck'' says a salesman.

So I go and have a look at some drills - they have a hammer drill with 13mm chuck,variable speed,and reverse - $16.85 WTF?? Even if it only drills 2 holes it's worth that.How the hell can they make and sell them that cheap? Someones getting ripped off,and it's not me.

I got a drill from there a few months ago. It still goes sweet as. The "variable speed" is almost an on/off switch, with a tiny bit somewhere in the middle. I seem to have lost my chuck key, so unless I want to drill 5mm holes for the rest of my life, I better get another one from somewhere. Or perhaps just buy a new drill again...