PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Licence HELP (invercargill)

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 11:29
I have a Problem!

I have just booked my restricted license practical test for this friday In invercargill). The problem is that the instructer follows in thier car and indicates where they want you to go. I ride a FXR150 and even with my new importered after market mirrors i still cant see whats behind me. (therefore i cant see where he wants me to go without jerking my neck).

Has anyone else had this problem?
Are the accessors understanding of it?
or did i just waste my $88.00?

Postie
6th March 2006, 11:31
the instructor will tell you what rout he wants you to go, if you know the area and street names well, just listen to his directions and remeber them. if you forget, just stop and he will tell you where to go from there.
You can't fail for turning down the wrong street, unless of course its a one way and your going the wrong way

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 11:34
thanks postie, i was worried the instructor would be some anal car driver that doesnt understand what problems most bikes have.

Buster
6th March 2006, 11:34
Honestly dude its so easy. The guy who followed me indicated way early and stayed a fair distance behind. Just keep your eyes peeled and look around alot. Look for his indicator then put yours on. Dont even stress about it.:ride:

bugjuice
6th March 2006, 11:36
yeah, postie is right.

If anything, you'll get bonus brownie points (not brownies as I later realised) for checking your mirrors often. By exaggerating the look, s/he'll see that you're checking often.

But, on a side note, if you can't see out of them and/or can't use them, then it could fail a WOF, and it's a bit pointless to have them in the first place. Go get some more that you can use on your bike..

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 11:37
buster, thanks mate

but the problem is i cant see dirrectly behind me even if he does stay back. Ill just have to use my neck.

erik
6th March 2006, 11:38
Are you able to use the mirrors if you tuck your elbows in? That's what I have to do on the Zeal.

bugjuice
6th March 2006, 11:39
yeah, that's the other thing.. my stock mirrors are great for checking my elbows. I either bend them out or in to see past

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 13:22
nah even if i tuck my elbows i still cant see anything.
The FXR150s factory mirrors are terrible for this so i got some aftermarket ones ordered in (took 3+months) and its still really no better.

bugjuice
6th March 2006, 13:24
so stick your elbows out then

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 13:29
fair enough buggy maybe ill try that then

ZeroIndex
6th March 2006, 13:34
Just buy this extremely 'cheap' helmet: http://www.reevu.com/ I wish i could afford this... approx $899 (Road Guide 06...Bike stuff brochure)

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 13:39
Put a sticker on the back of your helmet so the instructor can see your head turning, as for your mirors just turn your head,

Genesismatrix
6th March 2006, 13:47
thanks street wise a sticker sounds like a really good idea,

Folcan
8th March 2006, 17:02
When I took my restricted I took the wrong turn off at a roundabout

The guy just pulled over and waited for me to find him again.. and he didnt say anything about it

Genesismatrix
10th March 2006, 08:16
thanks guys for your sudgestions i passed the test this morning with no problems.

Streetwise
10th March 2006, 20:42
congrats,,,,,,

Genesismatrix
11th March 2006, 09:06
cheers mate