PDA

View Full Version : Clear Adhesive - tricks?

skelstar
6th March 2006, 13:04
I want to buy some clear adhesive sheets for protecting the tail section of my bike (and parts of my tank), so I have a couple of questions:

1. Where should I get this stuff? I could buy it in 1m sections from bike places at $30 a pop, but are there cheaper/better solutions? Ive heard someone mention 3M stuff. Zapf?

2. The angles on the Hornet tail-section are really tight (ie from the top part to the bottom part). Can I shape the stuff fairly extensively with something akin to a heat-gun/hairdrier. I would LOVE to do the tail section in two peices, not 10.

3. Got any tricks for shaping, cutting, general etc? Most of the edges are under seats and hidden sO have that going for me.

Had a check for this topic in old threads but couldnt find any. Apologies in advance if its been done to death.

Thanks.

bugjuice
6th March 2006, 13:39
I've seen 3M stone protectors on eBay, can't remember how much tho.
I think a lot of bike shops stock them, I know that Cycletreads up here has them, or can get hold of them. Most of them are precut to the bike already, which is cool. Just sticking them on without bubbles is the trick ;)

Don't forget the good ol' hair dryer to help warm the film up, so it can take angles and edges better.

Blackbird
6th March 2006, 13:42
I've put on small sections by myself ok but if you want a big job done, get a professional to do it as they are quick, neat and don't leave air bubbles. They spray soapy water behind the film to stop it sticking. Stripe and Moulding motor trimmers in Hamilton did mine for about $200 but that was 4 years ago. Ask at the places which do window tints and body striping. Should be plenty of them in your area.

R6_kid
6th March 2006, 13:44
i know of a 3M product (cant remember the name) that rather than adhesing to the surface actually forms a vacuum to the surface, that way you dont get streching around the edges, and it doenst leave a mark when you take it off.

was designed with bikes in mind.

an idea for cutting the stuff out (whatever way you go, is to use paper like fabricators do when making tricky parts on custom cars/bikes. Basically use lots of paper to do it til you get it right, then know what shape it has to be for it to lay over the area correctly.

skelstar
6th March 2006, 13:47
Ta for the advice guys.
Yeah a pro might be a better idea. Ive heard $300 for a fully faired bike so a tail section on mine might be sig cheaper maybe.

R6_kid
6th March 2006, 13:53
you'd bloody well hope so :crazy:

Matt Bleck
6th March 2006, 16:06
THe stuff is called scuff guard.

It will conform a little but if its a deep swage at will go in with a heat gun/hair dryer, but as it cools down it will return to it's orginal shape. Then you get dirt and crap underneath which looks pretty crappy.

As Gareth said make a template of each section, if there's a peice that looks like it won't conform, then finish that peice there and then over lay another peice by about 5 mm as the stuff shrinks back over time.

Stripe and moulding would be the place to get it.

PM me if you need any more help.

Cheers Paul D.

merv
6th March 2006, 17:38
I use Scuff Proof on my bikes and it takes a bit of stretch to bend around corners but its not great for tight corners - stretch it but it will creep back with time.

Also check this thread out about Tankslapper http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2810&highlight=tank+protector

Pixie
6th March 2006, 23:32
The pro's use a 3M product,which like all 3M products is the best.
The solution they use to help position it is a water alcohol (iso-propenol) and a tiny bit of detergent mix.
They don't use heat,and avoid stretching the film,as it will shink back if it is stretched.
The film is applied first and then excess is trimmed by scoring the surface with a hobby knife and tearing away the excess.
The stuff the bike shops sell is not the 3M product, but can be applied the same way,with the exception of the alcohol/water mix as this does not work with this stuff.
Double curvature surfaces require cuts to get the film to conform without lifting.

If you find someone who sells the 3M material in quantities less than a whole roll,let me know.

skelstar
7th March 2006, 07:57
It looks more and more like Ill have to do this professionally.
Ta guys.

MSTRS
7th March 2006, 08:01
Definitely DON'T use the bikeshop crap. It is thick, non-conformable, shrinks, lifts etc. Total rubbish.
DO USE the 3M stuff. There are several types as regards gloss and thickness. Do get it fitted by a pro (I am one....or not, see Cowpoos siggy:lol: ). If someone says use soapy water, or indeed IPA/water with a bit of soap, then steer clear - the soap reacts with the adhesive & turns yellow over time.
Rule of thumb to know if the fitted price is realistic - 1000mm x 100mm fitted should be around $25.00 (factor up a bit if job is difficult).

Blackbird
7th March 2006, 08:05
If someone says use soapy water, or indeed IPA/water with a bit of soap, then steer clear - the soap reacts with the adhesive & turns yellow over time.

Hmmm.... wonder if there are several types of film then? When stripe and Moulding did mine nearly 5 years ago, they used a soapy-looking spray and it's still perfect.

MSTRS
7th March 2006, 08:20
Then it is one of two things......not a 3M film/adhesive, or 3M have reformulated their adhesive (and not told me) since I was trained in application.
A point to note here - there are many brands of clear protective film, some of which use 3M adhesive and some their own.

Blackbird
7th March 2006, 09:52
Then it is one of two things......not a 3M film/adhesive, or 3M have reformulated their adhesive (and not told me) since I was trained in application.
A point to note here - there are many brands of clear protective film, some of which use 3M adhesive and some their own.

You may well be right. Slightly off topic, but there was a thread a couple of years ago about how ugly the white Velcro adhesive patches were that held Ventura headlight protectors in place, as well as them going furry after a while. I wrote to Dold Industries asking them whether they’d ever thought of using the 3M Dual Lock, which is available in clear and doesn’t lose grip due to the different method of locking.

They replied that the adhesive which 3M uses on Dual Lock wasn’t up to the job. However, I decided to give it a go and it’s been fine for 2 years, with plenty of protector removals. Maybe they do change their adhesive formulations without notice as part of continuous improvement. It certainly happens in other industries as Mrs Blackbird started coming out in a rash from her favourite perfume and it transpired that Elisabeth Arden have changed it.

MSTRS
7th March 2006, 10:01
Yea Blackbird - you have a point. Sometimes formulae are altered to reduce costs rather than improve performance too. In the automotive paint industry it is common for pigments to be changed, making the painter's matching job a nightmare.

Pixie
7th March 2006, 10:08
I watched a pro apply the 3M film.he told me what the solution was.So maybe the adhesive is compatible now

Pixie
7th March 2006, 10:11
You may well be right. Slightly off topic, but there was a thread a couple of years ago about how ugly the white Velcro adhesive patches were that held Ventura headlight protectors in place, as well as them going furry after a while. I wrote to Dold Industries asking them whether they’d ever thought of using the 3M Dual Lock, which is available in clear and doesn’t lose grip due to the different method of locking.

They replied that the adhesive which 3M uses on Dual Lock wasn’t up to the job. However, I decided to give it a go and it’s been fine for 2 years, with plenty of protector removals. Maybe they do change their adhesive formulations without notice as part of continuous improvement. It certainly happens in other industries as Mrs Blackbird started coming out in a rash from her favourite perfume and it transpired that Elisabeth Arden have changed it.
Dold were talking crap.The 2 kinds of adhesive available for dual lock are both very good.
More likely was the velcro is much cheaper than dual lock

LB
8th March 2006, 04:49
I've got the tankslapper stuff on my 1000. It's great, been on for over 18 months/22,000kms and it's still there. It's held on by static/suction and it's very hard to even see it's on there.

You buy it from the US in ready-cut shapes for your bike. I think you can also buy pieces and cut them out yourself.

I've just ordered some for Hamish's new baby. Ordered it Thursday and expect I'll have it in a day or so, the service is really good.

It's much better than the sticky stuff which gets all black and gungy around the edges.

I think it's about $17US for Hamish's.

Would highly recommend. Flick me a PM if you'd like to have a look at mine.

skelstar
8th March 2006, 07:42
Thats a good solution LB. MIght have a google at the 'tankslapper' stuff. Esp if its pre-cut.
Thanks.

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 07:52
..... Flick me a PM if you'd like to have a look at mine.
I hadn't figured you for that kind of girl!!
The gungy edge incidently only happens with inferior film. It is dust stuck to the exposed adhesive when the film shrinks.

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 07:59
I watched a pro apply the 3M film.he told me what the solution was.So maybe the adhesive is compatible now
Perhaps.....however the yellowing of which I spoke is slight & usually only apparent on a white background.