PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a ticket doing 100km/hr on Learners???

bobsmith
6th March 2006, 15:19
This was a question asked by Streetwise on the last thread I started... (yes, I'm still alive, I've got to stop creating bloody wars on every forum I visit) and I thought some people (including myself) would like to find the answer to it.

I hope Streetwise don't mind me putting the question here but I thought it was a great question. Please let me know if you mind Streetwise and I'll take this post off (I don't know if I can do that but one of the administrators should be able to do it.

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 15:32
Na thats cool, Im interested to see if anyone has,,,,,

marty
6th March 2006, 18:02
the ticket should be for 'breaching conditions of learner licence' a $400 fine/25 demerits. it shouldn't matter if it's for 80k or 100k, but once the demerit and $$ value of a speeding ticket exceeds the breach value, any ticket would probably be for the higher value. a ticket for two like offences would probably be frowned upon by the courts (eg a 115k and breaching conditions) however a ticket for 2 breaches (exceed 70k and carry pillion for example) would be perfectly ok (depending on what is ok to you....)

Streetwise
6th March 2006, 18:59
That dosnt sound right ???, Yes i understand licence conditions but that means you can have an over run of two offences,,,,,,

bobsmith
8th March 2006, 20:29
Hmmm can I take this as a sign that not many at all has been done for doing 100km/hr in a 100km/hr zone on their learner's? (At least this post will put this thread at the front again and help people see it. :)

N4CR
8th March 2006, 22:12
89k in a 50k zone with a new cop netted me no L plate and over 70k = $800 (400ea) + $500 speed exceeding fine. 1.3k of tax. Lovely discretion huh?

You can take your L plate on the motorway infront of cops and go in the slow lane with traffic doing 90+ and they won't care, as long as you ain't speeding (as such).

Sutage
9th March 2006, 16:21
clocked me 89 too didnt get speeding ticket just got analed for learner conditions and some other shit

Soggy
10th March 2006, 11:52
89k in a 50k zone with a new cop netted me no L plate and over 70k = $800 (400ea) + $500 speed exceeding fine. 1.3k of tax. Lovely discretion huh?.
Jebus i had a nice guy then last thursday (i think it was), was doing 79 in a 50 but he only gave me a fine for 65 in a 50 which was only 80 bucks. (didnt have L plate or anything)

Was shitting myself i'd get pinged like that :confused:

N4CR
10th March 2006, 15:08
And the best thing is that someone who is racing their car down a motorway and crashes, endangering the lives of passengers gets a $1500 fine... And other people doing similarly dangerous things get lesser fines. Makes alot of sense.

Streetwise
10th March 2006, 19:01
so it does happen then mmmmmmmmmmmmm im suprised,

N4CR
10th March 2006, 19:19
I had a completely newb cop who had to ring up and ask about what offences I should have got. That's why.

Streetwise
10th March 2006, 20:40
thats gotta suck, bloody coppers.

Gremlin
11th March 2006, 01:03
not me, was even travelling in the fast lane a bit at 110 ish, and I always wore my L plate.

Basically, followed all my restrictions, except the 70 rule, and behaved like a normal person.

bobsmith
12th March 2006, 08:36
Hmmm interesting, so it would seem that it all depends on what kind of donuts the piggy has been feeding on...

Streetwise
12th March 2006, 13:52
hahahhhhaaaaaaaa hehe. aint that the truth

ChookThief
30th March 2006, 22:39
89k in a 50k zone with a new cop netted me no L plate and over 70k = $800 (400ea) + $500 speed exceeding fine. 1.3k of tax. Lovely discretion huh?

I think your down fall was probably the lack of common sense to be doing 89k in a 50k zone, perhaps a lesser speed may have equalled a smaller ticket, of course you may have been forced to speed.

1.3k of tax is alot though, pretty harsh.

KLOWN
30th March 2006, 22:47
I got pulled over doing 79 in a 50 no wof no rego no L plate just got a ticket for speeding let off everything else.

Streetwise
2nd April 2006, 09:19
mmmm now what shall i ticket you for today, Gotta hate that,

OMG
2nd April 2006, 09:36
Whenever I was going out on the open road, my L plate always accidentially fell off into my pocket

madboy
2nd April 2006, 09:54
My L plate never quite got purchased, so never quite made it onto the bike. Which was just as well, cos at 100+ with a pillion in the middle of the night, the L plate woulda be a day glow "Ticket Me" sign.

Drew
2nd April 2006, 12:34
Don't know if any one already said this, but doing 100ks while on a learners liscence, is not actually speeding. It is however a breach of liscence conditions, and carries a fine of $200.
I have once had a ticket for 42ks over when I wasz pulled up doing 112 on my bike, bottom line, the cops dont know the rules as well as they should, I have gotten away with having a pillion because he had a full liscence. Dumb ass filthy highway snake cunt didn't know shit!
To sum up it can work for or against you, and if you know the rules, it will work for more than not.

metric
2nd April 2006, 12:50
not me, was even travelling in the fast lane a bit at 110 ish, and I always wore my L plate.

Basically, followed all my restrictions, except the 70 rule, and behaved like a normal person.

yup same here...

six months is over quick as...

metric
2nd April 2006, 12:54
Don't know if any one already said this, but doing 100ks while on a learners liscence, is not actually speeding. It is however a breach of liscence conditions, and carries a fine of $200.
I have once had a ticket for 42ks over when I wasz pulled up doing 112 on my bike, bottom line, the cops dont know the rules as well as they should, I have gotten away with having a pillion because he had a full liscence. Dumb ass filthy highway snake cunt didn't know shit!
To sum up it can work for or against you, and if you know the rules, it will work for more than not.

I thought breach of licence was $400 + 25 demerits...

JT.
2nd April 2006, 20:24
I thought breach of licence was $400 + 25 demerits...

Correct. http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/legislation/penalty.html

and I guess this confirm they can charge you for licence breach + speeding fine...

You can take your L plate on the motorway infront of cops and go in the slow lane with traffic doing 90+ and they won't care, as long as you ain't speeding (as such).

Indiana_Jones
2nd April 2006, 20:39
I havn't been done for it, but then again I don't use an L plate and I havn't been pulled over

-Indy

Patrick
2nd April 2006, 20:58

You would have got off the 42km over the speed limit ticket, unless it was in a 70kmph zone only. It would have been exceeding 100 kmph by 12 kmph ($80 fine). Gotlucky about the fully licenced passenger...most HP are ex MOT and probably wrote the rule book. Sure you didn't get a cop on a good day? Breach of lIcence conditions is $400 + 25 demerits. So is the L plate thing but those are reserved for Mikey and Gixser types:whistle: :msn-wink:

WINJA
2nd April 2006, 21:11
but those are reserved for Mikey and Gixser types:whistle: :msn-wink:
SO ITS NOT ABOUT ROAD SAFETY ITS ABOUT BEING A NAZI ARSEHOLE , FUCK THE HP LOSER CUNTS HOPE THOSE FUCKERS FLIP THEIR CRUISERS AND BURN TO DEATH

Patrick
2nd April 2006, 21:24
SO ITS NOT ABOUT ROAD SAFETY ITS ABOUT BEING A NAZI ARSEHOLE , FUCK THE HP LOSER CUNTS HOPE THOSE FUCKERS FLIP THEIR CRUISERS AND BURN TO DEATH

Gotten Himmel... Ve haf nein idea vot you are talken about...

JT.
3rd April 2006, 21:04
Got stopped at checkpoint today without L plate

Just had a quick look at licence, rego, warant and said have a good afternoon :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
3rd April 2006, 21:19
Yes indeed I have - it was my 1st ever speeding ticket in my life.

Serves me right b/c I had just been gloating that day about never having had a speeding ticket and having driven since age 16 and ridden for the last few years.

It was about 10.30 in the pm, no L plate & clocked at 111kms! Nice biker cop just pinged me for the speeding ticket after letting me sweat a lot...$80- as opposed to $880- I think. Phew!!

JT.
4th April 2006, 10:31

Serves me right b/c I had just been gloating that day about never having had a speeding ticket and having driven since age 16 and ridden for the last few years.

It was about 10.30 in the pm, no L plate & clocked at 111kms! Nice biker cop just pinged me for the speeding ticket after letting me sweat a lot...$80- as opposed to $880- I think. Phew!!

You were lucky...since he pulled you over for doing 11k over the 'normal' limit and had the chance to ticket you more than $880 too

$400 for no L-plate + $400 for after 10 + $400 for faster than 70kph + 75 demerits.

madboy
4th April 2006, 13:30
The diverse experiences represented here show just how much luck comes into getting pinged for the L plate thing, or the 70k thing. Show the right amount of confidence and the cops are less likely to notice/bother.

Cops are like dogs, they smell fear. Freak out and get all nervous every time you see a cop and they'll wonder what you have to hide. Just ignore them and they'll prob ignore you.

Da Bird
5th April 2006, 23:32
The diverse experiences represented here show just how much luck comes into getting pinged for the L plate thing, or the 70k thing. Show the right amount of confidence and the cops are less likely to notice/bother.

Cops are like dogs, they smell fear. Freak out and get all nervous every time you see a cop and they'll wonder what you have to hide.

Either that or just think you can't ride for shit...:slap:

u4ea
5th April 2006, 23:42
Either that or just think you can't ride for shit...:slap:
the 70 k law sux.its more dangerous to a rider.as we know,in strong winds its better to have a bit of speed up in those conditions.and as far as trucks go..................i found males in cars were more likely to try crazy stuff like pull out and shit like that if they realised i was female.never used an L plate for that reason as well.those L plates should be for under 18;s and why cant us older riders wot go for licenses go to a bigger cc rating like a driver can drive without a passenger when on restricted???????????????????????????????????????? ?:brick: :scratch: :scooter:

Da Bird
5th April 2006, 23:47
... and why cant us older riders wot go for licenses go to a bigger cc rating like a driver can drive without a passenger when on restricted???????????????????????????????????????? ?:brick: :scratch: :scooter:

This is why....

crashed,acc

u4ea
5th April 2006, 23:58
This is why....

crashed,acc
o well have had my spill and learnt the hard way.god ur a smart ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:calm: :weep:

Da Bird
6th April 2006, 00:03
o well have had my spill and learnt the hard way.god ur a smart ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:calm: :weep:

Sorry, couldn't resist.... don't take it personally.

Pathos
6th April 2006, 00:03
never obeyed the licence conditions or speed limits during the 6 months on the learners and never got pulled up. Never see many coppers either mind you

luck would easily have changed if I passed a copper out of the city limits over at speeds I'm shouldnt be at.

u4ea
6th April 2006, 00:08
.bikey cop.....................and wots a nice guy like you doing in a job like that????????buy a lotto ticket you mite win more freinds...............................

u4ea
6th April 2006, 00:11
never obeyed the licence conditions or speed limits during the 6 months on the learners and never got pulled up. Never see many coppers either mind you

luck would easily have changed if I passed a copper out of the city limits over at speeds I'm shouldnt be at.
good one!!!!!!!same here.closest is this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:hang on,bumped into a gang detective when i was working in the gardens.riding a plastic harley..........another dik

clint640
6th April 2006, 15:29

Yep, but you didn't get done for breaking your learner conditions, Tristank & sutage were also breaking other rules, so it does seem that getting nailed for doing 100 (in a 100 area) on yer learners if you aren't breaking other rules, is a rare occurence. Which is as it should be as it's one of the dumbest laws on the books.

Cheers
Clint

MikeyG
7th April 2006, 11:57
Some cops will tell you to go 100 on a motorway b'cos its too dangerous for you to do 70. Find one of these and get them to put it in writing then you can pull it out when someone gives you a ticket.

Dart
13th April 2006, 13:29
Sorry, guys, maybe my English is not so good and I don't understand something, but I think they can't ticket you for "over 70kmh"+"after 10"+"no L plate" and give a fine of 1200$ and 75 points.
Because rule clearly states - "Breaking of license conditionS - fine 400$,25 points". It doesnt says "condition", it says "conditionS". So I think doesn't matter how many conditions you've broken - thay can only ticket you 400$,25 points. If cop will try to do more - you can easily appeal and just give quotation from Road Code.
I'm right or I'm not? If not - where I'm wrong?

Da Bird
17th April 2006, 01:23
Sorry, guys, maybe my English is not so good and I don't understand something, but I think they can't ticket you for "over 70kmh"+"after 10"+"no L plate" and give a fine of 1200$ and 75 points.
Because rule clearly states - "Breaking of license conditionS - fine 400$,25 points". It doesnt says "condition", it says "conditionS". So I think doesn't matter how many conditions you've broken - thay can only ticket you 400$,25 points. If cop will try to do more - you can easily appeal and just give quotation from Road Code.

Yip, you are wrong, mostly. You can get a ticket for each condition that you break, however only the offence with the highest amount of demerit points is counted towards your 100 demerit points... so if you get a ticket with three offences each attracting 25 demerits (i.e licence breaches) you will only have 25 demerits put on your licence, not 75.

BC.

Dafe
17th April 2006, 06:57
and why cant us older riders wot go for licenses go to a bigger cc rating like a driver can drive without a passenger when on restricted???????????????????????????????????????? ?:brick: :scratch: :scooter:

This is why....

crashed,acc

Well, If that doesn't display the pathetic mind set of the NZ way of thinking, then what does.

The NZ system of cc rating is flawed. NZ needs to come upto modern standards and follow the european or even, Australian licencing systems.
Any system that won't let my son ride a 1987 GSX400, but says yes to an Aprilia RS250 2-stroke, has to have originated in a less than intelligent country.

Anybody, who can't see this system is flawed, is also...... less than intelligent.

Anyway, Back to the main topic. I have not heard of anybody ever getting a ticket for being a L-Plate rider, that was riding at the correct time of day IAW the licence restrictions, That has exceeded the 70kph on a motorway, but not exceeded 100kph and has resulted in receiving a ticket.
That I must say, Would have to be a result of common sense on the Police forces behalf.

I think it is obvious for everybodies sake, that a motorcycle do minimum 90kph on a motorway, otherwise the lane flow is too heavily affected and likewise, the motorcyclist is at too much risk.
Interestingly enough, the real outcome here is that the learner licence system, does not legally support motorcyclists on motorways and that is a problem that needs sorting because for many, the motorway is the only realistic option of getting from A to B.

How the hell can we be paying for a service like the LTSA when the hundreds of them sitting in their offices for the past 10 to 20 years haven't even managed to address these basic issues yet? Why can they not focus on the real issues rather than the money making issues?

Lord Derosso
17th April 2006, 09:39
I have been riding since 1970 and remember the original Kawa's H1's and 2's which cops hated because apparently more young riders got killed on those than anything esle. You took your L, waited 6 months or did a riding course and waited 4 weeks ?(refresh my memory some of you older guys ) and then on a 750cc three cyclinder two stroke icon of death.( they always blamed the way the frame didnt go around corners after 60mph ). For many many years experienced riders have been going on and on about the insaneity of allowing young riders on high horsepower machines. Lets face the bitter truth Bikes ARE fun. Speed IS fun. Those closecalls after pushing the odds DO make life interesting. The difference is EXPERIENCE and having that extra speed of putting the best techique into practice asyou realise that something bad is about to happen. That extra second of delay often kills younger riders and just as important in my view is that riders whom survive years of riding often own and ride many machines and therefore by design, they are usually riding machines that they find most comfortable with and easy to handle. I recommend new riders to start off trail riding with a club or friends. I really is a lot of fun and you can learn vital skills. I go with you Dafe. Another idea. Set up proper clubs which learners join and attend organised rides with for three months at one stage of the full licence process. ??

Ixion
17th April 2006, 10:08
You are quite right about the Kockasuckies, mine set out with a single minded determination to kill me. It tried its damnedest, and only failed because I realised that I had to get rid of it , and passed it on to another potential victim. He escaped, but it killed the next guy. Put me off Kockasuckys for life it did.

When I started riding, we did not have L plates at all, you paid 5/- for a provisional licence, and I think you had a different rego label.

Then, when you wanted (same day if you wished) you sat the practical test. Pretty simple, mine was just ride up the road and do a non-stopping feet up U turn while the traffic cop watched from Snake Central. Only tricky part was the bastard made me do the U turn half way up a steep hill . *That* was no trouble in itself. But ---Beeza Bantams didn't have stop lights or indicators. and he warned he'd be watching for my hand signals! Up the hill slow down, hand signal, shit need the clutch , grab, change down, hand signal, right hand out for right turn, shit the throttle's closed, if I slow down too much I'll stop or have to put a foot out, grab the throttle, shit, hand signal arm out , throttle closes, grab the throttle , arm out , look behind (no mirrors either) , finally got to turn , and back, the bastard was laughing his head off!

The license tests today are far more comprehensive , and the restrictions more exacting , than in my day. I really do not see that they can be tightened up much more.

Nana is much interested in the matter of encouraging new motorcyclists AND of keeping them alive, and has given this matter much thought.

I have come to a conclusion rather opposite to most people. The general driving age should be raised to 17 years. But the age to ride a 100cc or less motorbike should be reduced to 14 years (with the present learner restrictions); 250cc motorbike (with learner restrictions) available at 16. (Actually, I prefer a HP or list limitation to cc , but you get the idea)

And car learner, or restricted motorbike (learner for those who didn't get it at 16) at 17. Cars restricted to 1600cc naturally aspirated on restricted. And no passengers AT ALL under 25 (the passengers not to be under 25 years) .Supervisor for learners must be over 25.

Full licence not until 21 years , but even so under 25s limited to 2 litres natural aspirated cars, or 70hp / 600cc on bikes. Oh, and make a night riding/driving test part of the restricted licence test.(Drop the 70kph thing and te curfew though - the 70kph won't matter too much with a 100cc limit)

Patrick
17th April 2006, 10:20

Bikey is right...you are wrong.

The "breaking of Licence conditions" as you callit, refers to things like:
- Driving a manual when you are only alowed to drive auto
- Not wearing correcting lenses when you are meant to
and other conditions like those...

You "could" be done for each...would be a sad arse if they did when you are good about things. If you were an arsehole, then....what would you expect?

Patrick
17th April 2006, 10:27
Some cops will tell you to go 100 on a motorway b'cos its too dangerous for you to do 70. Find one of these and get them to put it in writing then you can pull it out when someone gives you a ticket.

Nice thought but they can't write a note encouraging you to break the law. Don't know of any that would ticket you for doing 100 on the highway on your learners either... :msn-wink:

Lord Derosso
19th April 2006, 00:11
Thanks for the memories Ixion. Yes I did the same darn test. You had a motorcycle law enforcement gentleman following up your rear tyre around town until you got to the dreaded hill turn. I did mine in Whangarei and every anal event horizon told me about this darn hill. Wasnt a problem in the end. Yes I do remember the old L and M stickers on the number plates. Mine you they must have still been around 10-15 years ago? I had a six year break off bikes until my current one. Does anyone remember all the hassles we had when they brought in those square number plates. Even with support brackets mine kept breaking around the bolt holes. Werent cheap to replace either but they didnt stay around for long.

sugilite
19th April 2006, 12:49
Ahhhhh the good old days.
I remember going for my license in Wellies.
The cop that was to follow me gave me the instructions, all I heard was "Proceed to the lights, turn into Vivian st, proceed to the steepest part of the hill and perform a hill start, turn right onto the terrace left into gbbba st right into hjkkj st" etc, etc! The scariest part for me was trying to remember that lot!
:shit:
So off we go, I duly turned right, stopped for the hill start on the trusty XR200. I started in 2nd gear for a smoother take off, as soon as I did that, he blipped his horn and lights, I thought WTF have I done!
I pulled over and he goes "I can see ya can ride, you got your license, lets head back to HQ for doughnuts", ok that last word was a little inaccurate, Sorry I could not resist:laugh: