PDA

View Full Version : Monster

Ms Piggy
11th April 2004, 12:21
I went and saw this movie last night. Apparently it's been slammed by the critics but I never listen to what they say anyway.

http://www.monsterfilm.com/cast/theron.html

I don't know if any of you have seen it or even know what it's about but basically it's a very sad, dark story of the demise of a woman (Aileen Wuornos) payed by the normally very lovely Charlize Theron (not looking lovely at all). She has been a hooker since age 13 and without giving the story away she eventually gets arrested after killing several men.

The thing that struck me was that whenever I hear a news bulletin about a person having murdered several people my immediate reaction is "That sicko deserves to die!" and seeing this movie gave me a new slant on what may lead up to person committing such a horrific crime. Don't get me wrong I'm no bleeding heart (ok well maybe a little bit :rolleyes: ) I don't think upbringing or lack there of justifies someones actions but it certainly made me think about the series of events that drove her to the point where she blew away men.

Definitely not a chick flick but I went with 2 of my gal pals and we all needed a drink afterwards! :apint: :apint: :apint:

wkid_one
11th April 2004, 12:32
I watched Kill Bill on DVD the other night - now that is a movie......

Ms Piggy
11th April 2004, 12:40
I watched Kill Bill on DVD the other night - now that is a movie......

Definitely! Imagine it on the BIG screen! Wow! Part 2 is on it's way! Yahoo!

jrandom
11th April 2004, 16:16
Hmmm, well, I don't know which critics you've been reading, but they're fools... Monster has had some pretty hot accolades from the critical establishment. Ms Theron *did* win the Best Actress Oscar for that performance, you know.

The Tomatometer rating at www.rottentomatoes.com gives Monster an 82% favourable score. Roger Ebert's generally my favourite critic, and *he* loved it.

And 'Monster' is in a completely different league to Kill Bill, which was essentially a stylish substance-free homage to the 'kung fu movie' genre. Very forgettable.

[Edit: Oh yes, before I forget: *snoot*]

[Yet Another Edit: though of course Pulp Fiction rocked]

jrandom
11th April 2004, 16:23
made me think about the series of events that drove her to the point where she blew men.

Well, she needed the cash, didn't she? :bleh:

Ms Piggy
11th April 2004, 16:28
Hmmm, well, I don't know which critics you've been reading, but they're fools... Monster has had some pretty hot accolades from the critical establishment. Ms Theron *did* win the Best Actress Oscar for that performance, you know.

The Tomatometer rating at www.rottentomatoes.com gives Monster an 82% favourable score. Roger Ebert's generally my favourite critic, and *he* loved it.

And 'Monster' is in a completely different league to Kill Bill, which was essentially a stylish substance-free homage to the 'kung fu movie' genre. Very forgettable.

[Edit: Oh yes, before I forget: *snoot*]

[Yet Another Edit: though of course Pulp Fiction rocked]

Ahhhh well - I hadn't read any critics to be honest - just wot I'd heard. It's against my religion to read wot critics say, I find it's far better to form my own opinion :yes:

*snoot* ???

Pulp Fiction definitely rocked :2thumbsup

Jackrat
11th April 2004, 23:04

Oh yeah!!! :laugh: :lol: :killingme

Ms Piggy
11th April 2004, 23:41

:rolleyes: groooaaaannnn is all I'll say to that :bleh:

Indiana_Jones
11th April 2004, 23:47