PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

Quasievil
7th March 2006, 18:01
Hi all, I have got a new version MYOB disc which I am trying to load onto my computer, trouble is I stick it in the D drive and nothing hapens on Auto, I open my computer and double click D drive and it wont open, I type D:\autorun.exe in "run" and it wont open, its as if there is no disc is in there.I checked it by putting a music disc in D drive and it opens no problem.
i try the same thing in my laptop and it opens no problem.

I need a help cause I got to do a GST statement.

Any help Hugely appreciated, thanks in advance

John Banks
7th March 2006, 18:04
Have you tried restarting your router... I mean, computer?
Wipe the disk clean with a tissue etc, restart and try again.
Otherwise copy the disk to your laptop's hard drive and transfer to the computer?

crashe
7th March 2006, 18:05
Ummm is it the correct MYOB edition for your windows?
Check the box the disc came in...

Good luck getting it to work.

What make and model is your PC.... HP Pavilion by any chance?

RantyDave
7th March 2006, 18:11
Can you, using the explorer (file explorer, not Internet - I believe it's under "accessories" these days) see any files on the disk at all? See if there's a setup.exe or similar in the root of the drive.

Oh, and run it if there is.

Dave

Virago
7th March 2006, 18:20
What make and model is your PC.... HP Pavilion by any chance?
Personal sidetrack (sorry Quasi) - we're just about to get MYOB, to run on an HP Pavilion - is there a compatibility issue?

Cajun
7th March 2006, 18:28
Is it a dvd?
and computer is only cd-rom?

Quasievil
7th March 2006, 18:37
Have you tried restarting your router... I mean, computer?
Wipe the disk clean with a tissue etc, restart and try again.
Otherwise copy the disk to your laptop's hard drive and transfer to the computer?

yes, and the disc is brand new, thanks

gamgee
7th March 2006, 18:39
Is it a dvd?

i hate trying to diagnose probs over the net, but my money's on this one, except of course, i don't think myob is released on a dvd
so what your saying is the disk works perfectly fine on your laptop but not on your pc?
what version of windows is on the laptop, and which on the pc, not that, it should matter either, as if the disk has files on it, you should be able to see them, but just not be able to run them if the OS is to old, have you tried doing windows updates, unlikely as it maybe, in all those updates might be a fix for a firmware fault in your cdrom
also is the disk a copy or an original, if a copy, cdrw or cdr?

Quasievil
7th March 2006, 18:39
Is it a dvd?

Nah its a DVD drive but can run CD roms

RantyDave
7th March 2006, 18:41
we're just about to get MYOB, to run on an HP Pavilion - is there a compatibility issue?
No. HP just make famously shite home PC's. Sorry. It'll run OK, and it'll probably continue to run OK, but stuff like video editing or 3d games might prove a little messy.

Dave

Well there seems to be an ongoing issues with the Pavilions that their CD-Rom or DVD drives just random won't read certain CDs, dunno what it is...

loosebruce
7th March 2006, 19:03
Nah its a DVD drive but can run CD roms

Thats bloody unusal mate :weird:

Quasievil
7th March 2006, 19:11
No. HP just make famously shite home PC's. Sorry. It'll run OK, and it'll probably continue to run OK, but stuff like video editing or 3d games might prove a little messy.

Dave

Its a packard Bell, soon to be a squashed piece of plastic on the road. Its only 6 months old

Teflon
7th March 2006, 20:06
Have you checked for firmware updates for your drive?

I have a external DVD drive you can borrow.

Harry33
7th March 2006, 20:29
So if you put other disks in it reads them?

Harry33
7th March 2006, 20:37
Have you rebooted with the disk in the computer?

ZeroIndex
7th March 2006, 23:15
hey Quasi, if you're still having a problem with MYOB, I can probably come have a look at it anytime tomorrow (Wednesday), being an unemployed PC Technician and all...

Zapf
8th March 2006, 01:56
probly just a case of a faulty CD-ROM. Go exchange for another copy and see if its still happening.

Quasievil
8th March 2006, 08:07
So if you put other disks in it reads them?

Correct it reads others

Quasievil
8th March 2006, 08:07
Have you rebooted with the disk in the computer?

No I will try that out and see what happens

Quasievil
8th March 2006, 08:08
hey Quasi, if you're still having a problem with MYOB, I can probably come have a look at it anytime tomorrow (Wednesday), being an unemployed PC Technician and all...

Hi, Im going out shortly for a meeting I will be back at around 11.00 for a short time, do ya wanna text me 021 400731 and you can come and have a look, be great if you can.
Cheers

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 08:37
Hi, Im going out shortly for a meeting I will be back at around 11.00 for a short time, do ya wanna text me 021 400731 and you can come and have a look, be great if you can.
Cheers
OK Quasi, I shall be there at 11 (Have txt'd as well)

GR81
8th March 2006, 08:40
OK Quasi, I shall be there at 11 (Have txt'd as well)
leave the hammer at home! its the only safe way! :ar15:

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 08:56
leave the hammer at home! its the only safe way! :ar15:
hahaha, very funny... i did actually work at PB Tech (Hamilton), but got bored with that... still trying to find something interesting... so far, the next best thing is sitting at home on the benefit answering threads like this one... and going riding around when I have money... :D

slob
8th March 2006, 10:31
Correct it reads others

To check if the MYOB CD is faulty you should try running it on another computer.

I

slob
8th March 2006, 10:33
Correct it reads others

To check if the MYOB CD is faulty you should try running it on another computer.

If it does run from the other computer, then try making a copy of the MYOB CD (on another computer of course) and try running the copy on your machine.

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 12:28
I........ AM A GENIUS!!!

It was an easy fix... just took along my 2GB memory stick, copied the files off the cd from the laptop, chucked the memory stick into Quasi's PC, and viola (not the musical instrument :slap: ), no problem installing then...

But yeah, it's all working now :D

gamgee
8th March 2006, 13:16
thats a workaround, not a fix, do you actually know what was causing the problem?

Mental Trousers
8th March 2006, 14:14
I suggested Quasi drop in to my place and I'd test the cd in a decent drive and then make a copy that would work in a crap drive.

Chances are it's just media incompatibility with a cheap drive.

GR81
8th March 2006, 14:29
hahaha, very funny... i did actually work at PB Tech (Hamilton), but got bored with that... still trying to find something interesting... so far, the next best thing is sitting at home on the benefit answering threads like this one... and going riding around when I have money... :D
madness... one of our customers ;)

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 14:45
thats a workaround, not a fix, do you actually know what was causing the problem?
it's one of those 'certain brand of cd doesn't like a certain cd-rom/dvd-rom'

:Oi: I may not have fixed the CD, but I did get installed... surely that counts, or is it not good enough?

Sniper
8th March 2006, 15:15
Sounds like a disc incompatibility error. Does the PC freeze at all?

John Banks
8th March 2006, 15:24
viola (not the musical instrument :slap: )
Viola is the musical instrument. I believe voila is what you are after.

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 16:06
Sounds like a disc incompatibility error. Does the PC freeze at all?
Nah, it just does the change from ...my computer... 'DVD-RW Drive (D: )' to 'CD Drive (D: )'

I've had that happen to me before though...

ZeroIndex
8th March 2006, 16:07
Viola is the musical instrument. I believe voila is what you are after.

hence why i said
( not the musical instrument :slap: ) but yeah, thanks for finding the correct spelling (which i normally do, but couldn't be stuffed)

Lias
9th March 2006, 07:54
Chances are it's just media incompatibility with a cheap drive.
What he said.. If the laptop is only 6 months old, I'd be hitting up the manufacturers for a replacement optical drive, because it will only get worse.. As drives age and die they tend to get progressivly shittier at reading (ie the tolerance of the laser gets smaller and smaller).

M-T and I used to work in R&D for an evil empire (no not THE evil empire) and test hardware all day long for compatability and such so we both have at least half a clue what were talking about when it comes to diagnosing PC issues :first:

ZeroIndex
9th March 2006, 09:17
What he said.. If the laptop is only 6 months old, I'd be hitting up the manufacturers for a replacement optical drive, because it will only get worse.. As drives age and die they tend to get progressivly shittier at reading (ie the tolerance of the laser gets smaller and smaller).

M-T and I used to work in R&D for an evil empire (no not THE evil empire) and test hardware all day long for compatability and such so we both have at least half a clue what were talking about when it comes to diagnosing PC issues :first:
The laptop reads the disk fine, it's one of those multimedia-black-with-millions-of-blue-lights-on-the-front Packard Bells (Athlon64) that doesn't read the disk in the DVD-RW