PDA

View Full Version : From Chernobyl with love...

Hitcher
11th April 2004, 21:02
I recommend following this link. AWESOME!

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

jrandom
11th April 2004, 21:10
Really, I came *this* close to biting just then.

Bastard! :Pokey:

Ms Piggy
11th April 2004, 23:45
I recommend following this link. AWESOME!

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

Apparently already been done - twice now :laugh: Good though aye.

moko
12th April 2004, 06:03
Looks like somewhere the Yanks have "liberated".

Skyryder
12th April 2004, 22:28
The lady has more balls than me. To think that this accident was all caused due to a test. Words fail.............

Skyryder

Big Dog
13th April 2004, 17:53
The lady has more balls than me. To think that this accident was all caused due to a test. Words fail.............

Skyryder
I doubt she has balls that are at risk from being fried.

Do you think it a coincidence that most Radiologists are women. :bleh:

dangerous
10th May 2004, 20:41
Hay, now I checked that web site out when Hitcher first posted it and I was blowen away (opps pun not intended) by it just amazing....... but it appairs to of vanished...... weird dont ya think, knowing the Russians???

wari
10th May 2004, 22:29
Hay, now I checked that web site out when Hitcher first posted it and I was blowen away (opps pun not intended) by it just amazing....... but it appairs to of vanished...... weird dont ya think, knowing the Russians???

THISonesHERE (http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/)

moko
11th May 2004, 01:35
That site is appearing all over the place now.Last week our largest circulation Sunday Paper had about 5 pages devoted to it in their magazine.

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 02:37
nope gone no sighn of it

Ms Piggy
18th May 2004, 15:46
Unfortunately, Ghost Town is unfinished and will remain as it is. I am being accused that it was more poetry in this story then reality. I partly accept this accusation, it still was more reality then poetry and it is why this site has millions of people visiting each month from the day when I put it online and I think I have right to say that people love it.

Photos and matherials from this site were published in many papers and magazines all around the world and all fees and gratuities went directly to the reputable organizations that are dedicated to assist the victims of the Chernobyl tragedy. They report increase of donations.

The story on this website will become a chapter named "Ghost Town" in a book I am working on. It will be a travelogue.

Also, there are all sort of accusations, like I advertise kawasaki or work for green peace or this is photomontage or that someone else wrote this story...

I don't respond to those, life is too short to waste it with fighting blood sucking insects. My business was to show people Chernobyl as I saw it and now it is time to get busy with another chapter, which will not be a Chernobyl relative and I will make online version of it.

P.S. there is discussion about Ghost Town on my motorcycle forum, I am a member of that site for a long time and I take part click here http://www.zx1112.bigbikeworld.com/forum/index.asp it will be topic called- Elena, you still around?

Ms Piggy
18th May 2004, 15:54
I checked out the site she refers to but there's nothing there. Oh well.

Slim
22nd May 2004, 07:56
Check this out: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=8951

dangerous
22nd May 2004, 11:05
Check this out: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=8951

Hmmmm..... what the hell do ya believe aye? Well there still has to be a bit of truth in it and the ghost town does exsist and thats a amazing place on its own. Either way it was a massive wast of life etc, I wounder whats going to happen to the asoftaguss *sp (concrete roof) as its now starting to fail... thats if theres any truth in that.

toads
22nd May 2004, 13:04
I think the story and photos are amazing and need to be told, she is a brave person for doing it, and to be admired, I think to do it regularly though is a bit stupid, but no more so than any other known health risk such as over eating or smoking.

toads
22nd May 2004, 13:10
err, duh! I just read the urban legend thing, hmm, well I guess it's human nature to want to believe everything you read, it's still a damned good read and the pics are great, she went to a good deal of effort to make the story and should be awarded for the journalism at least.!! :gob:

Big Dog
22nd May 2004, 15:34
Hmmmm..... what the hell do ya believe aye? Well there still has to be a bit of truth in it and the ghost town does exsist and thats a amazing place on its own. Eather way it was a massive wast of life etc I wounder whats going to happen to the asoftaguss *sp (concrete roof) as its now starting to fail... thats if theres any truth in that.
Sarcophagus. Yes there is a lot of truth in that. It was in Maxim that it was poured very hurriedly by monsoon buchet type devices. If precast 1/2 the concrete could have been used to create a covering that would have lasted longer than the radiation. But as it was cast by throwing buckets of concrete at it until the radiation levels dropped it was only estimated to have a 20yr life, especially as it has never been inspected regularly or maintained.

Apparrently the plan 13 years ago (when I was at school) was to build a permanent tomb. But with the advent of Peristroika (*sp*) and in the absence of any commercial motive it now seams unlikely. Estimated costs ran into the millions and assumed the labour would be provided by convicts who were not expected to survive their sentence anyway in order to get favourable treatment for their families. Apparently the probability of any of the workers surviving the job by more than a couple of weeks are so low as to preclude people doing it for money. :doctor:

Big Dog
22nd May 2004, 15:42
err, duh! I just read the urban legend thing, hmm, well I guess it's human nature to want to believe everything you read, it's still a damned good read and the pics are great, she went to a good deal of effort to make the story and should be awarded for the journalism at least.!! :gob:
I personally found the writing style a little ott with the flowery prose that was so obviously intended to tug the heart strings. I enjoyed the first half of the read though... before it got repetitive.

I just think it is a shame that she has taken such a tradgedy and tried to make it hers. If it had been factual about her real guided tour it would have been an excellent way to raise the profile and awareness of the risks we take with our environment and the strength that mere motals can exhibit in the face of such danger.

toads
22nd May 2004, 18:15
I personally found the writing style a little ott with the flowery prose that was so obviously intended to tug the heart strings. I enjoyed the first half of the read though... before it got repetitive.

I just think it is a shame that she has taken such a tradgedy and tried to make it hers. If it had been factual about her real guided tour it would have been an excellent way to raise the profile and awareness of the risks we take with our environment and the strength that mere motals can exhibit in the face of such danger.

Yeah well I'm a sap for flowery prose and the like big dog! LOL, and it did at least heighten my awareness of the devastation caused by the chernobyl meltdown, to be honest I haven't really thought about it for at least 15 years. Like it or not it's quite probable it will happen again, there's lots of reactors around and heaps of nuclear waste laying about the planet, just a matter of when and where really.

pete376403
23rd May 2004, 00:13
Like it or not it's quite probable it will happen again, there's lots of reactors around and heaps of nuclear waste laying about the planet, just a matter of when and where really.
You should have a search on the 'net for info about the Northern Fleet (Russian Navy) and all th old nuke boats and subs they've parked up in Murmansk. That's pretty scary.

erik
23rd May 2004, 07:11
... If it had been factual about her real guided tour it would have been an excellent way to raise the profile and awareness of the risks we take with our environment and the strength that mere motals can exhibit in the face of such danger.

I reckon that if it'd been a factual thing like you describe, chances are very few of us would have heard about it. The link certainly wouldn't have been spread so thoroughly all over the net as it has.

Big Dog
23rd May 2004, 15:06
I reckon that if it'd been a factual thing like you describe, chances are very few of us would have heard about it. The link certainly wouldn't have been spread so thoroughly all over the net as it has.
Typical propoganda then?

moko
31st May 2004, 11:38
You should have a search on the 'net for info about the Northern Fleet (Russian Navy) and all th old nuke boats and subs they've parked up in Murmansk. That's pretty scary.

What dosnt get so much publicity is the same situation just down the road from me at Devonport dockyard(the original,not kiwi copy)which has a nuke "graveyard"of old subs that no-one knows what to do with.while the politicians argue and try to keep them out of the news they aint going nowhere.The crew of one of the supposed new improved ones recently all but mutinied as they reckon the things are an accident waiting to happen.
When the Chernobyl thing happened sheep farmers in Britain were told they had to destroy their sheep,I think there`s a whole lot that we weren`t told and probably never will be.
Every monday at 11.30 the nuke alarm is tested and a local school is the only one in Europe with a "nuclear alert" warning bell,nice.

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 23:22
Ya know its pretty scarey that if human beings dissapeared from the world --earth as we know it would be destroyed.
either by the atomic bombs,the chemical bombs or the pollution we havent cleaned up

Hitcher
1st June 2004, 08:25
Ya know its pretty scarey that if human beings dissapeared from the world --earth as we know it would be destroyed.
either by the atomic bombs,the chemical bombs or the pollution we havent cleaned up

The Earth wouldn't be "destroyed". Rather it would just take a while to return to a new equilibrium. Bombs and such wouldn't go off if there were no people around, but nuclear power stations, hydro dams and other devices that require constant human intervention would melt down, explode or overflow.