PDA

View Full Version : chain clicking on cog !!!!!

Stopper Dan
7th March 2006, 19:45
i mite sound stupid and probably am but, my chain keeps clicking on the wheel cog have tightend it but it keeps clicking like the links arn't right or somthing, its worse when the wheel is being spun backwards. The chain seems tight at the top and bottom of the cog but pulls out at the back, anyone know whats going on?? is the cog fudged ?

froggyfrenchman
7th March 2006, 19:47
time for a new chain and possibly sprockets dude

Stopper Dan
7th March 2006, 19:53
my mistake "sprokets":wacko: thanks for your help..

loosebruce
7th March 2006, 19:56
Chain has strecthed and needs replacing if you can pull it away from at the back of the sprocket by a fair margin, and the old saying goes new chain means new sprockets, yes it is ideal but if ya sprockets are still in good nick, fuck it just buy a new chain.

Common cause of chain stretching, not oiled reguraly enough, overtightened on adjustment, wheelies :slap: , small front sprocket can cause a chain to wear quicker, did i mention wheelies?

WINJA
7th March 2006, 19:58
youll prolly find a link has a colapsed bush , btw replacing a chain without doing the sprockets is a poor economic and mechanical decesion

thehollowmen
7th March 2006, 20:01
Make sure the sproket is in line correctly with the chain

crashe
7th March 2006, 20:03
Yep change your chain...

My last chain lasted me 50,000kms... so that was pretty good going.
One before that 27,000kms...(that was the original chain)

Mental Trousers
7th March 2006, 21:14
Make sure you haven't over tightened it. Slowly rotate the rear wheel while checking the amount of slack on the top of the chain. It should have approx 30mm of movement at all times. If it goes really tight you'll be in for new bearings on the output shaft if you don't rectify that.

It's the chain as everyone has said

CLEAN CUT
7th March 2006, 22:08
Make sure you haven't over tightened it. Slowly rotate the rear wheel while checking the amount of slack on the top of the chain. It should have approx 30m of movement at all times. If it goes really tight you'll be in for new bearings on the output shaft if you don't remedy that.

It's the chain as everyone has said
Dont buy a cheap chain and sprocket set, there is a lot of rubbish on the market these days

Flyingpony
8th March 2006, 07:20
My last chain lasted me 50,000kms... so that was pretty good going.
One before that 27,000kms...(that was the original chain)
Wow! That is impressive distances.
My original just made it to 11,000km - stupid spray on stuff. New chain is getting the works so is oiled & cleaned, should last longer I hope.

Yip, your chain/sprockets are worn out. Always replace both chain & sprockets.

Ring around bike shop because prices can vary greatly. Have been quoted $170 - $300 for sprockets and standard o-ring chain for my little FXR.

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 08:28
Yup - new chain AND sprockets. If you do chain only, the old sprockets have wear which will rapidly 'transfer' to the new chain, effectively making it an old chain. As Flying Pony says, shop around. Most are available as a kit which is cheaper than seperate parts. If you can, get X-ring. Better than O-ring.
Oh and there is nothing wrong with spray-on chain lube. It's job is to reduce friction wear between the chain rollers & the sprockets. The chain has internal lube from new which is held inside the links/pins by the rubber seals (O- or X-rings). This lube cannot be topped up as it were by external application.

crashe
8th March 2006, 08:37
Flyingpony and MSTRS - I still have the original spockets on as well...
and still in good nick. (79,000kms on the clock)
:scooter: :scooter:

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 08:44
- I still have the original spockets on as well...
Hmmmm.....not generally adviseable

and still in good nick.

Now THAT I doubt

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 08:51
Sprocket wear
Pic 1 shows wear that would necessitate replacement
Pic 2 shows typical 'trailie' sprocket showing wear at the extreme end

erik
8th March 2006, 11:14
Sprocket wear
Could you explain the wear on the first sprocket? It doesn't look too worn to me.

Speaking of worn sprockets... take a look at this pic:
http://www.dansmc.com/worn_sprocket1.jpg

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm
(there is bit of an explanation next to the pic on that page)

Ixion
8th March 2006, 11:31
Take a look at the "valleys" between the teeth (must be a proper technical term for them, buggered if I know what it is ). They should be the same on the "down" side as the "up" side ; ie symetrical. In the picture they're not.

Granted, I wouldn't call it badly worn, not enough to replace in its own right. But best to replace it if the chain is being replaced.

MSTRS
8th March 2006, 11:42
It is worn, and if I was replacing the chain I would do the sprocket too.
The wear may not be apparent but it is like this....left is new, right shows wear caused by chain grinding at the rear edge of the tooth. Acceleration is when this happens - the effect is slow but cumulative. A new chain put on this would stretch/distort/whatever to bed into the malformed teeth.

Stopper Dan
8th March 2006, 20:59
Sprocket wear

My sproket is probably halfway between both pics.. New sprokets me thinks.

MSTRS
9th March 2006, 08:07
My sproket is probably halfway between both pics.. New sprokets me thinks.
Yes. And as mentioned, you will get the best price if you go with a kit. I paid $360 for a kit on the 1100. The old chain was roooooted and being a 532 pitch, which is little used these days, meant I needed to convert to 530 pitch.
532 chain on it's own is over $400.

Pixie
9th March 2006, 20:56
Rear wheel needs alignment.

MSTRS
10th March 2006, 08:22
Rear wheel needs alignment.
How do you figure that?

Pixie
12th March 2006, 09:38
If the rear sprocket is not in line with the front (as it would be if the wheel was out of alignment) the chain is forced to bend horizontally and will jump from side to side as it's grip on the teeth lets go.
This will make a click sound.

MSTRS
12th March 2006, 09:47
Now I see what you mean. There would be obvious wear on the side of the sprocket teeth tho. And the misalignment would be major - ie tyre would be touching swingarm on one side. Clicking is way more likely to be a tight spot on the chain, which is what alerted me to my chain needing replacement.