PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluids.. how do I change it?

cheese
9th March 2006, 11:34
Ok after recently reading a article on how important it is to change the fluids over I think I might do my front brakes as they are a little bit spongey....

So I've got a tub of fluid at home, but how do you do it?

Mental Trousers
9th March 2006, 14:11
Easiest way is just to bleed them.

Put a piece of rubber tubing on the bleed valve on the brakes. Put a spanner on the bleed valve. Squeeze the brakes. Open bleed valve then close again. Release brake. Repeat a few times then top up fluid in reservoir and start again.

The rubber hose stops it from accidentally sucking air back into the brakes by holding the fluid just ejected.

cheese
16th May 2006, 12:05
when you say use a rubber hose, do you mean I should pinch it to stop any air going back up??? I've got some new 5.1 fluid to do it so it should eb a heap better!!

Flyingpony
16th May 2006, 12:08
Here's how I did it - Link to thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14358).

emaN
16th May 2006, 12:20
there's a handy 6letter word you could use too, starts with G, finishes with E, and contains O,O,G,L in the middle

good luck.

Biohazard
16th May 2006, 12:41
TBH - If ya not 100% sure or a little worried about it, take it to a garage to do, since you use ya front brakes 70-80% of the time you need to make sure they are spot on. It could be ya pads that are low.

cheese
16th May 2006, 15:59
the pads are brand new...

Biohazard
17th May 2006, 15:57
ah bugger...

I know back in the UK that you can buy self bleed kits for ya brakes, I assume they do the same here...thaqt could be a good safe option for you.

cheese
17th May 2006, 16:19
I made a thing up with a bike valve and bit of tube. It should be sweet...... fingers crossed....

Biohazard
17th May 2006, 20:42
I made a thing up with a bike valve and bit of tube. It should be sweet...... fingers crossed....

eeeek good luck:ride:

cheese
17th May 2006, 21:29
I can't get the mother fucking screws out of the top of the brake!!!

Got to go get an impact driver..... :(

Madness
17th May 2006, 22:08
Before you smash/chew the heads off the screws....

There's a product around called Re-Grip or Screwgrab. it's a diamond paste that you apply to screwheads that are worn to give the driver grip, therefore torque. Most bike workshops will have this for their own use & engineers merchants sell it.

Comes in handy.

Just a thought.