PDA

View Full Version : Scared of dieing??

Mental Trousers
9th March 2006, 12:59
Don't know about others, but personally I'm not scared of dieing. If I was I wouldn't ride a bike. The main thing that worries me is a major injury accident. I'd rather be dead than maimed for life. Although I'm not scared of it, I'm definitely not in a hurry to get there either.

What about others??

SwanTiger
9th March 2006, 13:02
Yep. I echo your comments.

bugjuice
9th March 2006, 13:03
pretty much the same. it's gonna end one day, and you won't know it.

it's gonna hurt one day, and you'll know it..

fuk. now i'm depressed.. nice one..

Toast
As a practical matter, it pays not to be scared of it...fear for survival doesn't allow you to ride properly...at least that's what Keith Code says, and I agree.

MSTRS
I thought the title was "Scared of dieting". And I aint scared of that either
Edit - what ahappened to the option "No. But don't want to either"?

madboy
9th March 2006, 13:04
It's the fear of pain, both physical and financial, that puts me off going too hard on the road. And even on the track I only up it another tenth. No fear of dying. Big fear of pain.

I toyed with the idea of sticking a picture of my daughter over the rev counter to slow me down, but then decided I'd never ride a bike if I did that!!

Streetwise
9th March 2006, 13:11
This is a very deep question,, mmmmmmmmmmm yes i would say that im not scarded of dyeing as such, BUt missing all future events dosnt make dying sound like a good prospect. , Leaving wife and kids would suck,

Zed
9th March 2006, 13:12
Whilst the possibility of death and horrific accidents exist, I do not focus my thoughts on such when I'm riding, regardless of whether i fear death or not (i don't for the record). I'm far more of a positive thinker when i'm in the saddle...:bye:

Colapop
9th March 2006, 13:19
I fear not that which I know will never come to pass.

Badcat
9th March 2006, 13:21
i have a beautiful wife and two brilliant kids.
i'm scared of leaving them on their own.
why do you think i'm building a slow bike?

K

onearmedbandit
9th March 2006, 13:21
The only fear I have of dying is the effect it would have on those I leave behind. I'm very lucky to have some incredibly special people in my life, family and friends. The thought of not being here to see my daughter and my to-be-born daughter(?) concerns me. However you never know when your time is up so I don't concentrate on it.

Sniper
9th March 2006, 13:24
Im scared of dying lying on my back in bed trying to stay safe from everything. I would rather go with my front wheel hoisted high and a grin on my face. Im like OAB said, afraid of the effects of my passing rather than death.

imdying
9th March 2006, 13:25
Naw, then I get to be raised into heaven by the Lord Jesus Christ, where I'll finally be perfect, and able to serve him for all time :D

Sniper
9th March 2006, 13:26
Truth be told, we are all dying from the moment we are born. Its inevitable, so why fear it?

robnz
9th March 2006, 13:27
not afraid of dying, dont think about it when i am riding. I am going to die in bed an old man with a twenty something old woman in close proximity.

Big Dave
9th March 2006, 13:28
"I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, just like my grandfather - not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car" - The Onion.

Finn
9th March 2006, 13:29
I'm more afraid of meeting Sensei one day.:crazy:

MSTRS
9th March 2006, 13:31
I know it's been around awile but this sums things up properly....
Life is NOT a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,
BUT rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...........
"F***, what a trip!

Motu
9th March 2006, 13:33
I never gave it a thought until a few years ago,now like the others I am concerned for the family I will leave behind - I keep having little scenes playing where they are talking about me in the past tense...sobbering.But I don't worry when I'm on a bike,I'm in control of my destiny there....there are other situations out of my control that I worry about.

Oakie
9th March 2006, 13:34
Naw, then I get to be raised into heaven by the Lord Jesus Christ, where I'll finally be perfect, and able to serve him for all time :D

Question (and not asked in a disrespectful way) ... I wonder if they allow bikes in heaven? I mean, if it's such a great place, surely you don't have to walk everywhere?

MSTRS
9th March 2006, 13:36
Question (and not asked in a disrespectful way) ... I wonder if they allow bikes in heaven? I mean, if it's such a great place, surely you don't have to walk everywhere?
Now THAT would be nice to know. And do the traffic cops all go to Hell, leaving the roads unfettered?

Zed
9th March 2006, 13:43
Naw, then I get to be raised into heaven by the Lord Jesus Christ, where I'll finally be perfect, and able to serve him for all time :DAmen brother, what a blessed hope!

And as for there being bikes in Heaven...i'm pretty sure the Lord has a very strict control on exhaust emissions up there, so no! Won't need them anyway when you can fly like an angel!! :yeah:

imdying
9th March 2006, 13:49
Won't need them anyway when you can fly like an angel!! :yeah:What he said :cool:

Oakie
9th March 2006, 13:50
Amen brother, what a blessed hope!

And as for there being bikes in Heaven...i'm pretty sure the Lord has a very strict control on exhaust emissions up there, so no! Won't need them anyway when you can fly like an angel!! :yeah:

There won't be any exhaust emissions. Why? Surely in heaven they use Holy Spirit instead of motor spirit? :rofl: (Don't mind me. I'm just a tolerant athiest)

Wolf
9th March 2006, 13:57
Don't know about others, but personally I'm not scared of dieing. If I was I wouldn't ride a bike. The main thing that worries me is a major injury accident. I'd rather be dead than maimed for life. Although I'm not scared of it, I'm definitely not in a hurry to get there either.

What about others??
Pretty much similar. Had a few close calls with death and was totally calm, thought "This is it" and then (obviously) it wasn't. I've remained clearheaded, done what I've had to to get out alive if there was anything I could do (sometimes you just have to hope that the cockhead behind the wheel pulls something out of a hat and saves everyone from his own stupidity).

Injured my lower back for the first time and the thought raced through my mind that I might be maimed for life - most scared I've ever been in my life: crying, panicky hyped up brain activity (fret mode) and cold sweat!

Have also had near-accidents where I've been terrified that I might survive the accident - bad enough to fuck me up big time but not bad enough to mercifully kill me...

Not in a hurry to die - I have a lot of things I want to do ere I pass and I have three lovely kids I want to see well into adulthood - and I will do whatever is in my power to keep myself alive but I do not fear death. That is probably what will save my life most of all, I'm not likely to be panicked into doing something stupid in a life-or-death situation.

pritch
9th March 2006, 14:08
I'm more afraid of meeting Sensei one day.:crazy:

That's probably the most sensible comment I've seen you write :-)

I guess Sensei would go about 6'2'' or 6'3'' and 100kg
Hair red, belt black.

Your worries are not entirely without foundation.

Lou Girardin
9th March 2006, 14:11
Ask the question when you're actually facing death. Till then, talk is cheap.

Badcat
9th March 2006, 14:17

good point Lou.
i agree.

k

imdying
9th March 2006, 14:17
That's not necessarily a fear of dying Dynamtus50, but a fear of someone killing you. Subtley different imho.

tracyprier
9th March 2006, 14:20
Don't see the point in worrying about it. Life is to be lived, not fretted over.

The closest call (and I suppose you'd say brush with death) I've had was in 2004 riding an Enfield Bullet through the streets of Chennai (India) with some mates from the local Enfield club. Was jinking around a cow and ended up right in front of a big dirty green bus that had moved erratically (something they ALL do).

Only a quick flick of the bike saved me from headbutting the bus. Remember thinking, "Fuck me, that was close" but just carried on riding.

I had often wondered how I would react in that sort of situation; quick life-saving action or terror-induced frozen rictus resulting in me being dead... it was nice to find out I'm the moving-quickly type.

Hitcher
9th March 2006, 14:25
I have no fear of death. The thought of oblivion pales me not.

What shits me to tears is pain. I am not a great sufferer. I am a Great Girl's Blouse (TM) when it comes to personal discomfort.

And being significantly maimed or disabled bothers me more than a little, more for the impact that such a state will have on those who love and care for me, rather than on me personally.

This is why my life insurance cover is significantly less than my income protection and major medical insurances.

Lou Girardin
9th March 2006, 14:27
That's not necessarily a fear of dying Dynamtus50, but a fear of someone killing you. Subtley different imho.

When you face it, it doesn't matter where it's coming from.
With the possible exception of wanting death as a release from an unbearable life.

Charlie
9th March 2006, 14:28
It's foolish to be scared of something so certain, something that you grow up knowing will happen someday. What makes you scared, I think, is when you spend the time thinking and dwelling on how and when you'll go. So to avoid being scared, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT! Live your life to the fullest every day, look after yourself and enjoy the ride...

Certainly no one wants to die slowly and painfully, and I'm sure no one wants to die before their time; before they watch their kids grow up or before they've done all the many things they want to.
So in saying that, I'm NOT done! And I'll be angry more than scared if I go before I am!

beyond
9th March 2006, 14:28
errrmmm,
Not scared of it but like others have said, rather not when you leave family and friends behind. They are the ones that screwed up.

Kinda like to die very, very old, as long as I'm healthy, don't need a Zimmerframe to crawl around with or a bag between my knees.

Like to be able to ride hard, not die on my bike or get injured and live to late nineties and die in me sleep. Now that would be cool. :)

Anyone offering guarantees????

Charlie
9th March 2006, 14:34
Fucking oath Lou you got it in one, its all easy to say you are not scared of dying but if you are in the situation where someone is trying to kill you, or you think something is going to pass completly out of your control and its going to cost you your life...its a horrible frightening feeling.
... and to add...

100% ture too. The thought or prospect of dying doesnt scare most people. But when your life is in someone elses hands and you have lost control and are just waiting for them to choose if you live or dye; that would be terrifying!

T.W.R
9th March 2006, 14:34
Why fear dying ? its inevitable, its lifes process why fear life. And when you've looked death in the face & come away maimed for life you think yourself lucky its only the shell thats damaged.
having a terminal illness is a worse scenario, get the gun now & shoot me F@#% having doctors play god & achieve F/A let me go with some dignity and as little suffering as possible.

MSTRS
9th March 2006, 14:37
Anyone offering guarantees????
The only certainty (apart from taxes) is death. I would hope that when the time comes for each of us, that we go with no regrets. Especially over things we could have, but didn't, do.

Finn
9th March 2006, 14:41
That's probably the most sensible comment I've seen you write :-)

I guess Sensei would go about 6'2'' or 6'3'' and 100kg
Hair red, belt black.

Your worries are not entirely without foundation.

Pffff, then I have nothing to worry about. I'm 118 kg's, no hair and a broken belt due to only being 5'1".

*sic
9th March 2006, 14:47
hmm death, something most people will convince themselves they have no fear in, when infact they do have fear but repress it as they know they have no control over it.

Its the one certain thing we all have in common, and a complete uncertainty of what happens when we do...

Oakie
9th March 2006, 14:47
errrmmm,
Like to be able to ride hard, not die on my bike or get injured and live to late nineties and die in me sleep. Now that would be cool. :)

Stuff that. I want to live until my late 80 s and then I want to be shot dead by a jealous husband while escaping through his 30 year old wife's bedroom window!

R6_kid
9th March 2006, 14:50
the second poll option just gave me an awesome idea for tonights ride!

RantyDave
9th March 2006, 14:52
Yeah, but more scared of having not lived in the first place. Hence the bike.

Dave

Wolf
9th March 2006, 15:06
Fucking oath Lou you got it in one, its all easy to say you are not scared of dying but if you are in the situation where someone is trying to kill you, or you think something is going to pass completly out of your control and its going to cost you your life...its a horrible frightening feeling.
A few times as a passenger in friends' cars when they've done something stupid and the car has been spinning or sliding towards something that will definitely kill us all, nothing within my power to stop the inevitable - "This is it"

Once clambering around the rocks at Titahi Bay and found myself on a 5cm wide toe-hold with bugger all to grab hold of and around thirty metres of open air between me and jagged rocky oblivion - I should have turned back when I asw the pitons someone had hammered into the rock! I actually imagined I saw a cowled skull hovering in the air. Did what I had to do to get myself to safety.

Once, when I was younger, I actually bothered to count the number of times I was sure I was going to die, now I can't remember them all. Was a fair few times, though.

I didn't want to die and I was as glad as hell I didn't - but I wasn't scared by the prospect.

So, from someone who has been in situations where I've been sure (beyond all doubt) that I was going to die: I have no fear of dying.

Like Charlie, I'd be more likely be extremely pissed at dying than scared these days. I've got a lot to live for at the moment and a lot I want to see.

Mental Trousers
9th March 2006, 15:22

Funnily enough, I came very close a couple of weeks back.

I must have hit something with the front tyre cos it partially deflated. A short while later I was braking heavily into a corner when it started pogoing. There was a 4x4 coming the other way and things suddenly went very quiet and were crystal clear and I was thinking shit, this could be it. I missed the 4x4 (you might have guessed that) somehow (subconscious probably took over and got the bike around the corner while my conscious mind had gone all calm and quiet) and spent the rest of the ride wobbling along until I got air into the tyre.

Sparky Mark
9th March 2006, 15:34
you think something is going to pass completly out of your control and its going to cost you your life...its a horrible frightening feeling.

Good one.. thats why I never got married... :lol:

nudemetalz
9th March 2006, 15:35
Well I have come very close to being killed, what with an HQ Holden wheel scraping the side of my helmet as I lay on the ground with a severely smashed leg after being bowled off my bike by the same car.
Poor 18 year old driver did a runner after his 6 mates in the car probably told him too !!!
I guess his 12 months loss of licence and 6 months PD taught him a lesson :Pokey: (sarcasm here), especially after his mate told a cock and bull story in the court but got dismissed by the Judge who was onto him.
Unfortunately that pathetic sentence he got will not help the severe agony and 2 operations I went through, just to save my leg. I was very lucky....

Anyway, 1 year down the track, after seeing my Dad (who was only 41) die in front of me I used to be totally unafraid of dying, even thought about (and, ahem,...tried once or twice ) doing it myself.

However, 15 years down the track, now at 36, I have just gotten married to the most wonderful lady in the world, I have a lot to live for and I don't want to go just yet. I think of that everytime I get ready to spin the ZX-10 through to 11K. The human rev-limiter kicks in and makes me be sensible.

Sparky Mark
9th March 2006, 15:48
However, 15 years down the track, now at 36, I have just gotten married to the most wonderful lady in the world, I have a lot to live for and I don't want to go just yet. I think of that everytime I get ready to spin the ZX-10 through to 11K. The human rev-limiter kicks in and makes me be sensible.

Good for you mate, I'm glad it's all going well. (Please ignore my previous post :whistle:)

Wolf
9th March 2006, 15:51
I think of that everytime I get ready to spin the ZX-10 through to 11K. The human rev-limiter kicks in and makes me be sensible.
Being sensible is not the same as being scared of dying. If I'm facing death, I'm calm (well, in the limited experience I've had, never had anyone convince me they have the means and the desire to kill me on the spot so I don't know how I'd feel about that. Possibly angry.)

Doesn't mean I court death or serious injury (am scared of being maimed/incapacitated) or take unnecessary risks - part and parcel of doing my bit to ensure I survive when I can.

That way I just might have a bit more "wiggle room" when some other twat decides to take matters out of my control and directly threaten my life.

I ride and drive within my limits or +5km/h of the speed limit, whichever is the lower.

Matt Bleck
9th March 2006, 15:55
As long as it's quick n painless. I had to watch me mum wither away due to the big C. Although I guess it was preety much painless and peaceful for her being dopped up on morhine, the pain it caused me and my family is not something I'd would wish on anyone!

nudemetalz
9th March 2006, 16:00
Good for you mate, I'm glad it's all going well. (Please ignore my previous post :whistle:)

No worries :)

Finn
9th March 2006, 16:02
I'm really surprised by the responses here. Most of you are full of shit and you don't fool me for a second. Not scared of dying my ass. Maybe not now while you're trying to impress everybody on KB, but like Lou lou said, it's all talk until you REALLY face it.

Having spent 15 years in the military, 9 of those in the SAS (not in NZ) I can tell you that I've NEVER meet anybody that is not afraid when it's crunch time. Even the most hardened fuckers that get kicks out of killing children cry like babies when they know it's coming.

nudemetalz
9th March 2006, 16:02
As long as it's quick n painless. I had to watch me mum wither away due to the big C. Although I guess it was preety much painless and peaceful for her being dopped up on morhine, the pain it caused me and my family is not something I'd would wish on anyone!

I know that pain, r4q2....you cannot adequately describe it anyone. You have to go through it to understand.

imdying
9th March 2006, 16:08
I still think you're mixing up 'scared of death' and 'scared of being killed'... Big difference.

SPORK
9th March 2006, 16:11
Shit dude, SAS... Serious respect to you.

terbang
9th March 2006, 16:21
I wouldn't welcome an early death as I've got a few mere years riding left in me yet. Yep it will happen one day but I don't want it to happen on my Bike because it wouldn't be fitting as I enjoy life on my bike too much.

Brett
9th March 2006, 16:27
I am not really scared of the dying part...but like most of you guys on here, i have a wife and family that i would hate to have to come to the morgue and identify me. Nevermind leaving people broken hearted. I would hate to leave my wife a widow...especially any time in the near future as we are both only 21!!

Gonna die oneday tho, so i wouldn;t mind it at speed on a bike if i were not leaving others to suffer the consequences. I am quite keen to see what death is like actually.

justsomeguy
9th March 2006, 16:30
I'm really surprised by the responses here. Most of you are full of shit and you don't fool me for a second. Not scared of dying my ass. Maybe not now while you're trying to impress everybody on KB, but like Lou lou said, it's all talk until you REALLY face it.

Having spent 15 years in the military, 9 of those in the SAS (not in NZ) I can tell you that I've NEVER meet anybody that is not afraid when it's crunch time. Even the most hardened fuckers that get kicks out of killing children cry like babies when they know it's coming.

Hmm....... so you've got a doctorate, spent 15 years in the military, ride a repsol thou and from your profile pic own a 911........ fcukn' impressive.....or you're another "Fish".

The closest I've come to dying was not being able to breathe when I had a very bad asthma attack as a kid........yeah dying is a scary prospect.

Hmm.... there's another ride on tonight.....Managed to cheat death so far:devil2:

Finn
9th March 2006, 16:57
Hmm....... so you've got a doctorate, spent 15 years in the military, ride a repsol thou and from your profile pic own a 911........ fcukn' impressive.....or you're another "Fish".

The closest I've come to dying was not being able to breathe when I had a very bad asthma attack as a kid........yeah dying is a scary prospect.

Hmm.... there's another ride on tonight.....Managed to cheat death so far:devil2:

I was telling porkies about the PhD although I did try. I asked the University how long it would take and they said 5 - 6 years which was really stupid because they only provided 120 minute parking out front.

kiwifruit
9th March 2006, 17:00
no im not, but im in no hurry to "die"
who knows what happens then huh
only "time" will tell

WINJA
9th March 2006, 17:05
im not scared of dieing ,but im worried about 'not living'.

EZAS
9th March 2006, 17:14
If I die now .. then I'll pass over with hair on my head and a full set of teeth.
I'm an invincible anyways. Still act like I'm 16 and I always will.

Sutage
9th March 2006, 17:15
the second poll option just gave me an awesome idea for tonights ride!

dont wanna chafe ! no commando!

Toast
9th March 2006, 17:35

Ofcourse we all want to survive, it's natural, all animals do (I heard that even lemmings only jump 'cos they're dumb), so I'd expect someone not held back by fear to do whatever they can to survive in the face of a deadly situation.

In my mind, I am not afraid of death. I do plenty of things that may get me killed in many ways, and I fully understand this. I don't stop doing them because of that though, and in past near death experiences I've done what's needed to survive (with a bit of luck to help me). Not what I'd call a symptom of fear, in the face of death.

Like someone else said, being killed and dying are different too.

Jackrat
9th March 2006, 17:49

Yeah been there,,,,an stuff that mate.:shit:
Being dead is one thing,getting that way is a real worry.
Hope I'm asleep at the time.

kickingzebra
9th March 2006, 18:15
I was told by wise members of the medical establishment I might have brain cancer once, and then left to my own thoughts for weeks. I thought I was pretty cool with it, until I had to ring my Mum in the middle of the night, and blurt it all out, cry my eyes out like a baby, made her cry etc... Scary as hell, especially when you think you still have a lot to achieve. Made me think a bit about my life though. My wife told me she is pregnant today. That had pretty much the same effect.
Makes God all very real all over again. I know where I am going when I die, but doesn't mean it isn't scary.

The meaning of that little fish sticker on the back of all those cars you see? I know where I am going when I die, so get the hell out of my way!!!

APPLE
9th March 2006, 18:44
im not afraid of death?everytime i set off for a ride, i pray to jesus,that he will watch over me.then on sunday?im in church praising him.Amen

Hitcher
9th March 2006, 19:52
Oh, and by the way, the correct spelling is "dying"...

myvice
9th March 2006, 20:02
Had a bit of a close call a while ago, asked my wife to pull the plug if it came to that...
Death its self isn’t a big area of concern as much as who I'm leaving behind.
But being a burden on my loved ones would be much worse.
And I have no desire to dye on two wheals, I know someone who had that request answered.
But I would like to see it coming, it will scare the shit out of me but I hate surprises!
A friend of my father’s had a passing that I would like to have, high-speed accident on a Jet Ski! He was 86! If ya got to go, go with a smile!
My last words will probably be "Hay, what does this do?"

StoneChucker
9th March 2006, 20:25
I haven't bothered reading anything on this thread apart from the first post, but here's my take.

I think there are two types of people in this debate:

1) Those who have experienced a very, very near death experience (even some by medical equipment standards being dead for a min or so), who have a new, or more knowledgable outlook on life.

2) And those who haven't had such an experiance.

I think both types of people can say they aren't afraid of dying, that they would rather be dead than badly disabled, that they think they are invincible, that they are afraid of dying, or whatever...

But I believe only the first type of people truly have the insight to know what the meaning is of what they are talking about, and I have experienced both.

I'm not ashamed to say I am afraid of dying. I don't want to. What is scary is the speed that it can happen. One minute you may be riding home, and literally the next thing you know/or think of can be that you're in a hospital bed, 2 or 3 days later. I would have to agree though, an instantaneous transition would be preferable to a slow, drawn out one.

Again I would imagine that, those first type of people, would be more likely to ponder over this topic, and wonder what exactly is out there, or after this. You can think back to where it began, or where "you" go after this perpetually. It is unfathomable, and I believe we are not meant to, or be able to understand it, yet.

Firefight
9th March 2006, 20:29
Oh, and by the way, the correct spelling is "dying"...

...you would get round to it Mr Hitcher :corn:

F/F

Jamezo
9th March 2006, 21:08
Meh, as I see it, I'm already dead, anything on top of that is just a bonus.

justsomeguy
9th March 2006, 21:10
im not scared of dieing ,but im worried about 'not living'.

Same thing here bud - like it says in my sig.

kels
9th March 2006, 21:11
Me...I'm terrified. Not something that I really want to think about, but I know its gonna happen. But in the famous words of someone....FAME...I WANNA LIVE FOREVER....................

WINJA
9th March 2006, 21:12
Same thing here bud - like it says in my sig.

WORLDS SLOWEST INDIAN??

Pixie
9th March 2006, 21:14
Meh, as I see it, I'm already dead, anything on top of that is just a bonus.
Oooooh!
Night of the Living Dead Cheesemakers

froggyfrenchman
9th March 2006, 21:23
i live to die.

people often tell me smoking is gonna kill me, but i say "it wont have a chance, im gonna be imbedded in the front of an 18 wheeler mack before then"

Edbear
9th March 2006, 21:25
before they watch their kids grow up or before they've done all the many things they want to.
So in saying that, I'm NOT done! And I'll be angry more than scared if I go before I am!
I've seen my kids grow up and having just become a Grandad, I wanna see my Gradkids grow up! You never finish doing eveything you wanna do! My father always said, "If I ever become a vegetable, kill me!" The day before he died of MS the nurse asked him if she should turn off the drip that was keeping him alive. He was a skeleton, hardly breathing but he said, "No, keep it going".

Crazy Steve
9th March 2006, 21:27
:shifty:

I-wish!!!!

Crazy..Steve

oldrider
9th March 2006, 21:52
Woody Allan said it all for me:

He said he holds no fear of "death" he just doesn't want to be around when it is happening! :oi-grr:

Me! I have faced death many many times and each time while completely in control, I was scared freaking shitless.:shit:

When death finally comes my way I guess I will be scared shitless again.:yes:

Meanwhile I am getting on with the living part that I have been entrusted with at the moment. :love: and :ride: Cheers John.

mattt
9th March 2006, 22:04
:shifty:

I-wish!!!!

Crazy..Steve

Your mrs must really fuck you off.

Anyway it's not about dying, or crashing or getting maimed or any of that,

it's about who can pull the biggest wheelie in front of the most people :niceone:

Krusti
9th March 2006, 23:12
To be perfectly honest at the moment I would welcome death.....I have got to the stage after two major back injuries where I am in constant pain...has been this way for over two years..pain killers don't seem to help and I do have some grunty ones!

There is only one problem... I have a family who I love and who love me. The thought of what losing their father/husband would do to them is what keeps me here...nothing else. Maybe when no one will miss me then I might clock out. So I'm stuck here!

You can talk about not wanting to live if you suffer serious injury...but invariably when you are in that situation it's a very different story.

Even though not a day goes by that I don't think to myself, "I can't take any more of this", it's a selfish thought that would make me a cowardly uncaring husband/father/friend if I acted on it.

Maybe if I had feared death more I may not have been so reckless in my riding and not crashed...who knows!

Meanwhile on the bright side...I can walk and ride...it's not all bad.

Fryin Finn
10th March 2006, 09:11
There will come a time in your life when you are not afraid of dying - then the lights go out one last time

terbang
10th March 2006, 09:53
Watched me mother die a long spluttering choking death from lung cancer (she never smoked) she turned purple and had to labour over every breath it was just a terrible painful scene. Assisted on an aircraft accident investigation and waded among people who had died in the most undignified fashion with thier grotesque naked, dismembered bodies lying all over the place amidst a generous sprinkling of brains, splinterd bones and intestine contents. I felt so sorry for them because it was like the final humiliation to have to bare all (Cops, FF & Ambos get respect here). Their transition appeard to have been a rapid one for their perspective. Either way its not a pretty scene and death, from my observations, is often an unpleasant process. My point as that seeing reality would probably quieten down a fair bit of the bravado I read on this thread and as life progresses reality does come knocking. I know I wont be the first or last to experience death and like our assholes it is something we all have in common. Its not a day I look forward to and I am in no real hurry to get there and I guess only a few of us have any chioce on how its going to happen as we all have some sort of built in survival instinct.

Years ago (age 14) I binned off my dads race-horse whilst tryin to be a hero.. It was sort of wierd and provoked a lot of thought. I remember the horse going a bit nuts, getting pitched off=> then..Blank (no thoughts, no lights, no sound, no nothing)...=>Then Lights on..Lying face down in the grass (WTF how did I get here) where has me horse gone..? Where did you people come from..? Fuck Ive pissed myself..! Jeez my head hurts..!
Eye witness said that I lay still for about 15 mins and they arrived on the scene as I was waking up. If I had died there would I have known about it? I guess if I had died there It would have just been lights out and no pain though my girlfriend would have seen me lying in a pool of my own urine..! (which for a 14 YO is bad).

Badcat
10th March 2006, 10:01
Watched me mother die a long spluttering choking death from lung cancer (she never smoked) she turned purple and had to labour over every breath it was just a terrible painful scene. Assisted on an aircraft accident investigation and waded among people who had died in the most undignified fashion with thier grotesque naked, dismembered bodies lying all over the place amidst a generous sprinkling of brains, splinterd bones and intestine contents. I felt so sorry for them because it was like the final humiliation to have to bare all (Cops, FF & Ambos get respect here). Their transition appeard to have been a rapid one for their perspective. Either way its not a pretty scene and death is often an unpleasant process. My point as that seeing reality would probably quieten down a fair bit of the bravado I read on this thread and as life progresses reality does come knocking. I know I wont be the first or last to experience death and like our assholes it is something we all have in common. Its not a day I look forward to and I am in no real hurry to get there and I guess only a few of us have any chioce on how its going to happen as we all have some sort of built in survival instinct.

Years ago (age 14) I binned off my dads race-horse whilst tryin to be a hero.. It was sort of wierd and provoked a lot of thought. I remember the horse going a bit nuts, getting pitched off=> then..Blank (no thoughts, no lights, no sound, no nothing)...=>Then Lights on..Lying face down in the grass (WTF how did I get here) where has me horse gone..? Where did you people come from..? Fuck Ive pissed myself..! Jeez my head hurts..!
Eye witness said that I lay still for about 15 mins and they arrived on the scene as I was waking up. If I had died there would I have known about it? I guess if I had died there It would have just been lights out and no pain though my girlfriend would have seen me lying in a pool of my own urine..! (which for a 14 YO is bad).

yep - i agree, those of us that have been felt up by the grim reaper seem to be a little more unconcerned about sharing our fear.
K

Skyryder
10th March 2006, 12:22

I's not until you have actually faced death that you are able to deal with it. Years ago I nearly fell into a pool of boiling water. We had been drilling for steam at a place called Broadlands close to the banks of the Waikato river. It was my turn to take the ducks eggs to this hot pool and cook them. To get there I had to walk over what I thought was solid ground. On the way back my foot went thorugh the crud. I kid you not, no one has any idea of fear until your life is on the line and it is only luck that you stay alive. I had about fifty metres to crawl (to spread my weight) before I got on 'solid' ground. Once having faced it you learn to deal with it. That does not mean to say that if another life threating 'event' occured I would not be afraid. I would. We all have a survival instinct and when it kicks in it is fear that drives the adrenaline and believe me you do not have any control over that.

Skyryder

Goblin
10th March 2006, 12:49
Well I have a morbid fear of hospitals and doctors so would rather it were quick. I nearly drowned while white water rafting and after the initial panic I felt calm and ready to accept that it was to happen. After beinging knocked off my bike, lay unconcious for 10-15 minutes and woke up to abulance and people hovering over me and didnt even know what happened. I dont fear death itself but more the way it will happen. Would hate to have a terminal illness and it be a long, painfull drawn-out proccess. Have had to care for my 92 year old grandmother who begs to be "put out of her misery" and that is the saddest thing Ive ever had to deal with.

Pillick
11th March 2006, 12:13
Who the hell wouldnt be scared of dying? If you arent, your the definition of suicidal. Were all like little kids in the evening; there's so much promise left in the day, if we can just stay up a little bit longer. No one wants to go to bed yet...

madmal64
11th March 2006, 12:32
Not afraid of dieing. Not wanting it to happen at the moment either, but since I have had a couple of close calls I tend to live the day so to speak. I dont tempt death and act crazy but Im not going to go to my grave with too many "I wish I had done" moments.
My wife & kids are great and I would feel for them if I was to die today and leave them. I really enjoy being with them and them being in my life.
Thats why its called life... its for living.

Motoracer
11th March 2006, 12:54
I don't want to die because of the sadness it will cause in the hearts of specially my family and also my good friends who love and care about me.

The fear of death is real. I had a good friend of mine with whom I had hung out with in high school for a couple of years and gone on bike rides and done other activites etc. At the age of 18, I saw him lieing down cold in a casket because of cancer.

That could be me in an hour, tomorrow, or many years later as a result of more things than I'd care to know about.

Once you accept the fear of loosing what you already have and the possibility of what you haven't got just yet, you learn to face that fear. Just like trying bungy jumping for the first time or learning how to wheelie.

Some people are on denial and they say the fear does not exist. Some let the fear rule their lives and stay inside a bubble or a false sence of security by always holding back on things in life because of the fear of the concequences. I would like to think that I have addressed that fear for what it is and accepted it. Instead of letting that fear having control of my life, I choose to face and challenge that fear every single day by the way I live my life. That's because once you are dead, that's it... End of story... So while you are DAMN lucky enough to be alive and well, why the fuck not make the most out of your life, the best you can!!!