PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Mechanics Course

Antallica
12th April 2004, 21:20
Hey guys/ladies,

I've decided I want to pack in Computers for a while and study mechanics, specifically Motorcycles naturally. I've seen that Stotts Correspondence College has an 18 month course going for $800-odd, covering everything I'd want to know about. Then when I have a problem like the one I have currently I'd be able to fix it myself & also have another career to fall back on in life. Hell I'm only 18, I might as well keep learning as much as I can.

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on it or suggestions about similar study.

Andrew
12th April 2004, 22:13
Hey guys/ladies,

I've decided I want to pack in Computers for a while and study mechanics, specifically Motorcycles naturally. I've seen that Stotts Correspondence College has an 18 month course going for $800-odd, covering everything I'd want to know about. Then when I have a problem like the one I have currently I'd be able to fix it myself & also have another career to fall back on in life. Hell I'm only 18, I might as well keep learning as much as I can.

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on it or suggestions about similar study.

Apprenticeship is the way to get into the industry. I think you should regard this course as a pre-trade course rather than 'something to let your career fall back on'.

Ghost Lemur
12th April 2004, 22:31
Are you working at the moment Ant? If not, why not go into one of your local bike shops and see if you can "help out" for a couple of weeks. See how you like it and learn a bit at the same time. Polytech might do a mechanics course specializing in Motorcycles, also The Open Polytechnic might be worth looking into if you are currently working and therefore want to do it part-time, correspondence.

Antallica
12th April 2004, 23:06
Not working atm & don't intend to unless something worthwhile comes around, which never happens in this town. Hardly see anyone offering Motorcycle specific apprenticeship in Whangarei. Polytech is absolute crap here.

Andrew
12th April 2004, 23:35
Perhaps you could come to Auckland and stay with your Grand parents. Then look for motorcycle training and apprenticeships.
Check this link out for an overview of the motorcycle mehanic job description.
http://www.careers.co.nz/jobs/4e_aut/j48344a.htm

Antallica
12th April 2004, 23:49
Nah not keen on relocating at this stage. G/F just got her new job and I need to stick with her.

Andrew
12th April 2004, 23:55
Nah not keen on relocating at this stage. G/F just got her new job and I need to stick with her.
That could make things difficult on the M/C front. I've just just been checking this course down in Wellington. It's a two year certificate in motorcycle engineering, and you get one day a week off to work. If I'm not mistaken its the same course Mitch is doing?

http://www.weltec.ac.nz/schools/engineering/automotive/1mc.htm