PDA

View Full Version : 250cc Owners Ride

SwanTiger
9th March 2006, 15:29
Hello All,

I am interested in attracting some attention to the possibility of a 250cc ride up around the Northland roads. The distance (I have a lovely route in mind) would be between 250km and 350km and would involve a mixture of twisty roads and some straights as we would be taking SH16 north.

The concept behind the ride is to have a bunch of riders on equal sized motorcycles enjoying themselves.

There would be three stops in total, one heading to a destination, one long stop at the destination then another stop on the way back.

The "inbetween" stops are good. This way people have the opportunity to adjust things (put on glasses, clean visor, etc.) and if need be take a piss.

Anyone will be welcome to come along, however the pace is expected to be between 100km/h and 130km/h and each intersection will be well marked. Route maps can also be supplied for those wanting to doodle. So this could be a friendly ride for some newbies to stretch their legs on and get more clicks on the open road.

If you are interested, please post a reply or PM me and i'll consider moving on to making this an event and setting a date.

Please vote as to which distance you would feel most comfortable riding in a single day.

Ixion
9th March 2006, 15:35
Maybe.

350km would be a long day , but. 120 cruising speed will be 80-90 average, that's about 4 hours up, 4 back. Add lunch, petrol & piss stops, and you're looking at 10 hours in the saddle. Some 250s aren't too comfortable, I've heard.

(BTW, 250s or 250 or less? Do you include the FXR150 and KR150 and Rg150 ? bearing in mind that they are faster than say a GN250 or Virago. Also even with all 250s you'll still have a possible marked speed difference between say a GN250 and an RGV250)

SwanTiger
9th March 2006, 15:44
As you mentioned Ixion, top speeds will vary between the different types of motorcycles, however as the route will be properly managed there should not be a problem with some going faster than others.

The concept is to bring togeather a bunch of rider son equal sized motorcycles. 70-80% of the route top end will not matter, so it will come down to the riders ability and should their ability be around the pace of 100km/h - 130km/h then there wont be a problem.

The ride is just an idea anyway. If the majority are interested but have preference as to the distance, then changes can be made accordingly.

Ixion, have you got 250 you'd like to bring along? :blip:

Ixion
9th March 2006, 16:12
ratty is a 250. He likes a tootle in the country now and then.

2much
9th March 2006, 20:37
I own a 250.... Does this mean I can come on the Gixxer? I promise not to go over 130km/h (in 1st).

Seriously though, great idea. I'll point it out to the missus, although Northland might be a bit of a hike but I'm sure she'll be in if you come south.

SwanTiger
9th March 2006, 20:55
I wonder how many people on thou's have voted just as a piss take? haha

2much
9th March 2006, 21:05
Don't worry mate, didn't vote.

But next time it might help to create a "I can't help myself, I just have to click an option even though it's irrelevant to me" button.

Edit: found that when I did the Gixxer ride poll.

peripheral
9th March 2006, 22:19
I'm interested.

terbang
10th March 2006, 11:11
Why don't ya make it an overniter so it can have a bit of a social scene so all can get pissed or play mini golf or something..!

justsomeguy
10th March 2006, 11:17
Why don't ya make it an overniter so it can have a bit of a social scene so all can get pissed or play mini golf or something..!
Aww how cute.

Naa, just make it a hardcore no-stops race down F/F's driveway, with a bit of cop baiting, runners, cage mirror smashing and 150kmph lanesplitting getting to his driveway. :devil2:

SwanTiger
10th March 2006, 12:51
Looks like there is some interest.

Races can be arranged.

I'll go explore the route.

saul
11th March 2006, 16:03
I voted sorry.

I missed the bit where it said 250cc riders only:blip:

N4CR
11th March 2006, 16:17
Aww how cute.

Naa, just make it a hardcore no-stops race down F/F's driveway, with a bit of cop baiting, runners, cage mirror smashing and 150kmph lanesplitting getting to his driveway. :devil2:

Dude.. you wouldn't even get out of the gas station without taking the hose with ya :rofl:

pyrocam
11th March 2006, 17:06
yeh 400k aint half hot mum

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 17:11
Dude.. you wouldn't even get out of the gas station without taking the hose with ya :rofl:

What?? You mean at $1.56 a litre I don't get a free hose?? :mad:

Hmm...... should I come or would I piss everyone off by making them wait for me at the intersections...... I am the slowest Indian afterall..........:cry:

EDIT - Hey trannystank just read your sig - give Mr SKid a kiss for me.

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 17:12
Looks like there is some interest.

Races can be arranged.

I'll go explore the route.

Since you're new to KB - by Firefight's driveway I mean SH22 out Waikato way.

N4CR
11th March 2006, 17:25
What?? You mean at $1.56 a litre I don't get a free hose?? :mad:

EDIT - Hey trannystank just read your sig - give Mr SKid a kiss for me.

Lol.. i'd love a free hose every time too :P

Sure sexy... i'll give him a kiss :laugh:

edit: I'm keen to do sh22 another time, as long as my shock stays in one piece...

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 17:34
edit: I'm keen to do sh22 another time, as long as my shock stays in one piece...

Here ya go blondie:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=26076

And Erik's gonna be there so there will be someone to give your ZXR a run for all it's worth.

N4CR
11th March 2006, 18:03
Here ya go blondie:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=26076

And Erik's gonna be there so there will be someone to give your ZXR a run for all it's worth.

Muahahaha, I wasn't meaning tomorrow... got stuff to do, another time though. Its a nice road if not a little bumpy.

Anyone wants to give me a run for thier money they are welcome though!
my penis is bigger than yours

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 23:30

my penis is bigger than yours

:lol: I was being serious - as in have someone of a similar skill level to ride with. Erik's one of the more gifted 250 riders here as you must know.......

N4CR
11th March 2006, 23:40
:lol: I was being serious - as in have someone of a similar skill level to ride with. Erik's one of the more gifted 250 riders here as you must know.......

LAST TIME I SAW ERIK HE HAD CHICKEN STRIPS

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 23:45
LAST TIME I SAW ERIK HE HAD CHICKEN STRIPS

I know - his bloody pegs keep getting in the way, even though he's scraped them into stubs........:weird:

anyway - gotta go sleep need to be awake at 7 am to get ready for the ride :bash:

N4CR
11th March 2006, 23:47
I know - his bloody pegs keep getting in the way, even though he's scraped them into stubs........:weird:

YEAH I HAD TO RE MOUNT MY EXHAUST BEFORE I PUT A HOLE IN IT, I KNOW WHAT HE FEELS LIKE.
MY PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

justsomeguy
11th March 2006, 23:48
YEAH I HAD TO RE MOUNT MY EXHAUST BEFORE I PUT A HOLE IN IT, I KNOW WHAT HE FEELS LIKE.
MY PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

Great - so now you don't have chicken strips did you get a prize?

oh feck it need to sleep bye

N4CR
11th March 2006, 23:52
Great - so now you don't have chicken strips did you get a prize?

oh feck it need to sleep bye

Hahaha I love you big boy... nothing like a bit of shit talking to get things riled up :cool:

Merwood
20th March 2006, 13:44
im keen for the ride swanny, distance dosent really bother me, just hope i can keep up :scooter:

TwoShades
20th March 2006, 14:00
I'm up for the ride as long as my bike is fixed in time. Distance isn't a problem, as long as it doesn't end up finishing too late

crazy_phrog
22nd March 2006, 12:37
This sort of ride sounds awesome. I would be interested, if I could get time off work to do it. Being a dairy farmer in taranaki means my time is limited, but I'm sure I can work something out. Or even better, is there someone who wants to do one closer to home? That would be awesome!

And as for distance. I'm only a newbie rider (sort of), but when I bought my latest bike, I rode it from palmy north to taranaki in one run, and thats about 300km.. sure my ass was a bit sore afterwards, but I loved it.

"Don't drive drunk! Smoke dope, eat soap, and fly home in a bubble."

Big Chim
30th March 2006, 19:34
Has this happened yet?? Keen on it esp if it came down towards the waikato. meet you guys down here and ride back up and then i'll head back once you guys get home.

If it wanders else where i'll keep an eye on this thread and try and make it to the meeting spot

Merwood
3rd April 2006, 16:08
yeah is this ride ever going to happen or has it already been and gone ? :rockon:

SwanTiger
3rd April 2006, 16:56
Alright you moaning pack of diddle munchers, I will get my arse into gear and organise a "mean as" 250cc ride. Any and all will be welcome, even the homos with small pensis on bigger bikes.

It seem as so there are a few interested in doodling down Waikato way, how many are happy with that? There are a heap of really neat roads down there.

Otherwise, it'll be up north and boy are there some awesome roads up north to be ridden. I'm thinking - up 16, around managwhai up to waipu, loop around dargaville and back down to wellsford and down 16 again. That'd make for a rather long ride, however there would be a good mixture of roads.

At least 5 - 6 hours worth of riding. Start time would be fairly early, however I am sympathetic to those who enjoy a good sleep in.

Please share your suggestions AND preferences.

One thing is for sure, I will organise one hell of a feed somewhere along the way. So if not for the ride, come for the food eah hoa !

Big Chim
3rd April 2006, 18:29
If its going up north, make it a little shorter and i'll come up from the waikato to that. never done any riding above auckland so any excuse really to check it out. Definatly in for a mean feed also:apint:

justsomeguy
3rd April 2006, 18:46
Otherwise, it'll be up north and boy are there some awesome roads up north to be ridden. I'm thinking - up 16, around managwhai up to waipu, loop around dargaville and back down to wellsford and down 16 again. That'd make for a rather long ride, however there would be a good mixture of roads.!

Sounds like a plan.

SwanTiger
3rd April 2006, 19:19
Okay, I'm quite focused on this now that there seems to be an apparently decent amount of healthy interest in the idea.

The most important aspect which needs some discussion is the pace and format of the ride as a whole. I would like to be able to cater for people on all types of motorcycles and license types. So I'm asking if you can all take into considering your level of ability and in a few words describe your ideal ride.

The format I am thinking of has a more social bias where by its a nice lengthy comfortable ride for 250cc owners of all ability levels. You know, a bunch of young'ish fella's all bitching and moaning about trying to overtake or getting their bike to climb up a hill.

Lots of people have different comfort levels when it comes to speed, distance and even the people they ride with. I want this ride to make everyone feel comfortable. Out to Waipu or Mangawhai for a short rest, then up and around to Dargaville for a late looong lunch, then back down. Should only need 2 fuel stops at the most.

dveus
3rd April 2006, 19:42
So I'm asking if you can all take into considering your level of ability and in a few words describe your ideal ride.

My ideal ride would have to be Cameron Diaz, and im certain my level of ability wouldn't be up to par. Wouldn't stop me leaving happy though.

justsomeguy
3rd April 2006, 19:53
My ideal ride would have to be Cameron Diaz, and im certain my level of ability wouldn't be up to par. Wouldn't stop me leaving happy though.

Yada, yada. Just turn up will you.

Swanny - just organise whatever mate. It'll be good I'm sure. :niceone:

duckaddict
3rd April 2006, 21:44
swanny, make it part1 and part2 - part1 up north and part2 down south :Punk:

oh, dif. dates of course :scooter:

Big Chim
3rd April 2006, 22:36
If its a 250 ride it cant be to bad interms of pace etc. ie 250's keeping up with litres. Social focus will be cool. I like twisty roads, i wont know any of the roads up there so i'll take it easy. dosent worry me if people want to go flat knacker and we meet them at spots interesctions etc.:yes:

The weekend of anzac weekend (the one after easter) would be rad cause i have the monday off. Sunday would be ideal to be specfic but if that doesnt work no worries. Would give me an excuse to vist a few people in and around Auckland.:blip: :blip:

Nolan
4th April 2006, 23:30
just thought id show my interest
count me in:scooter:

DMNTD
4th April 2006, 23:39
Gimmie a scream if ya need some advice/opinion of some of the routes around here ;)
Got some superb 250 style roads up here

SwanTiger
5th April 2006, 00:06
Gimmie a scream if ya need some advice/opinion of some of the routes around here ;)
Got some superb 250 style roads up here

Will do.

I was going to ask if you'd be interested in joining us but I don't know if you'll be able to keep up. Sorry mate, you might have to wait this one out and go on the Newbie ride :baby:

Blairos
5th April 2006, 16:46
Count me in!

Just completed my 1st Coro Loop last weekend with around 18 other bikes (including 1 other VTR250 + me) Most of them were 650cc-1400cc and the gap wasnt that great between me (1st loop) and the others who had a lot more experience on this ride.
Was always around 7-10 mins behind the bigger bikes.
That was a 500KM round trip from AKL, so 300-400KM on this one would suit me just fine (with a few stops of course :) )

Let me know the date this is happening once its all final :ride:

SwanTiger
6th April 2006, 16:19
Well the ball is rolling, the ride will be scheduled in about a months time. I still need to iron out a definite route however the general direction is set solid.

R6_kid
6th April 2006, 19:24
its swanny, he's too busy 'racing' his bucket

SwanTiger
6th April 2006, 23:25
its swanny, he's too busy 'racing' his bucket

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

duckaddict
7th April 2006, 23:00
Well the ball is rolling, the ride will be scheduled in about a months time. I still need to iron out a definite route however the general direction is set solid.

A month? hmm... I thought you're gonna say next week :-)

anyhoo...

BarBender
9th April 2006, 10:19
I'm in for next week or next month or both.

justsomeguy
9th April 2006, 10:29
A month? hmm... I thought you're gonna say next week :-)

anyhoo...

You fellas want to do a ride next week?? How bout the famous Coro Loop??

SwanTiger
9th April 2006, 11:03
Is the 16th soon enough for you lot? Might have to cut back on a few things however if you are all desperate for a ride then it can happen next week.

I was looking at the 30th as my partner is going over to Thailand and I'm looking after my little girl. And she wont let me attach her carseat to the back of the bike, yet...

justsomeguy
9th April 2006, 11:18
Is the 16th soon enough for you lot?

Yes Sir :yes:

SwanTiger
9th April 2006, 11:27
Done. Formalised with more information tonight.

surfchick
9th April 2006, 20:10
can do 16th...hope it's on:ride:

SwanTiger
9th April 2006, 21:04
Sunday 16th for certain now, we will leave Westgate between 9:30am and 10:00 which should mean that we'll be back sometime before 4pm, 5pm at the latest if the shit talking is rife at the stops.

The route is fairly sedate, well for the start at least. We will head up SH16 primarily because its the only "decent" way up north. Once pass Wellsford we will go across to the coast and follow it up then loop around.

All up the route will be approximately 350 - 400km ... so a really decent ride.

SH16 has fresh roadworks at some parts but by the 16th this should be sorted. One or two (at the most) of the roads will be gravel, they'll be short, however it'll be nice to give the ride some character.

Nothing nasty, well driven gravel roads, unless you are an absoloute newbie this shouldn't be a problem. 5 - 10km + ish at the most of gravel. Dotted. This might change however.

Duration in time will be 4 - 6 hours, it all depends on how much shit talking goes on at the very few stops.

REMEMBER, this is more of an adventure ride, not a race or anything squidy.

I'll put more shit up later in a new thread and create a calendar event shortly.

Big Chim
9th April 2006, 21:32
wont be able to do the 16th i'm away for easter

SwanTiger
9th April 2006, 22:05
No worries, as Ducky suggested, it'd be good to organise a "Part 2" down southways in a couple of months time, or sooner.

Big Chim
9th April 2006, 22:07
Rad keep me posted