PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever rebuilt a ZXR250 engine?

Insanity_rules
9th March 2006, 19:38
Well on the relentless search, anyone agree that good reasonably priced 250s are thin on the ground at the mo?

I've been told about a ZXR250 Crapasaki that has dropped a valve and apparently only needs a top end rebuild, told piston and bore are perfect. Its a 94, $1200ish and supposed to be quite tidy with no drop dammage.

Any advise on how to asess the damage properly and what a rebuild could be worth thrill seekers?

I humbly await your replys and remember as you read this a little prospective biker waits and hopes you'll help. I badly need a bike guys!!!!!!

FROSTY
9th March 2006, 20:00
Id need to see the head to give ya an accurate price.
To give you an idea --Mella yella (zxr400) chernobled No2 .The head work to fix it was about 1200
What happens is the valve bends/breaks and as it does so it damages the valve guides.--they need pressing out and replacing.I must say when a valve "dropps" in a kwakka 250/400 its very unusual for the piston not to be damaged.
You'd be better off finding a motor and fitting it -around $800

Insanity_rules
9th March 2006, 20:11
Thanks Frosty, do ya think its a good deal though?

kiwifruit
9th March 2006, 20:27
What frosty said.
id say its a fair* deal, total of 2.5 should get it running

*fair compared to whats availabe,
the 250 market is a harsh one.

Insanity_rules
10th March 2006, 20:58
Thanks you guys, I now have a bike! bought it today. Is a light engine work candidate but its just timing chain and tensioners. Nothing too harsh. Got for good price too.

JOY!!!!!