PDA

View Full Version : Squids

SPman
9th March 2003, 22:51
OK - an American term?? Anyway, about 6pm on the northwestern heading into town between Pt Chev and Western Springs guy on a newish GSXR1000comes on at Pt chev. I spot him just behind me  in the middle lane - I'm just cruising 105-110, with Frances just behind. Next second this dude comes past at about 130 with the front wheel up and standing in the pegs!:eek: Accelerates up the straight bit - 400m, weaves between 3 cars, still standing up, pulls back into rh lane, drops the wheel and dives off at Western Springs!          

Gear - Blue windbreaker, cord trousers, sneakers, gloves helmet. - ie - typical squid (non) protection.

Quandry - My responsible instincts screamed - fucking hell, a right nutter here, putting the shits up traffic, painting us all with the same irresponsible brush, guys like him are the cause for high ACC levies, blah blah blah.! But, a part of my squiddly brain was impressed.   I was thinking - "Fuck me that looked impressive, I wish I could do that!" (only not in carpet slippers!)

So, am I,after 30 yrs of riding, at heart, just an irresponsible hoon?

Slim
9th March 2003, 23:51
Originally posted by SPman
So, am I,after 30 yrs of riding, at heart, just an irresponsible hoon?
Yes.

:D

bluninja
10th March 2003, 07:30
Hmmmm are you a squid because you think about doing it? because you want to do it? Nah...you're only a squid when you don't think about it and do it :cool: extra squidness for wearing flip flops and vest.

It's much better than not wanting to do wheelstands, stoppies, burnouts and knee down antics and then branding everyone else that does a menace to society (usually cos they can't do it).

wari
10th March 2003, 08:44
Sounds like the same bloke I saw on a gsxr1000 ... between Patiki Rd and Waterview on the corseway ... pulled a wheel stand passed cars changing lanes . I was real impressed with his skill. But not so with his riding gear ... T-shirt, jeans , but he did have helmet.  I chased him all the way to the top of Nelson St ...

bluninja
10th March 2003, 09:19
So Wari, were you on your rear wheel as well?:p

TTFN

wari
10th March 2003, 09:49
Originally posted by bluninja
So Wari, were you on your rear wheel as well?:p

TTFN

As a matter of fact I was mate ... but I gotta confess the front was also in contact with the tarmac.:bigthumb:

bikerboy
10th March 2003, 12:10
I think deep down we are all hoons or biking wouldn't appeal.

It's only a matter of suppressing or expressing our hooness in an appropriate or inappropriate manner that makes being a hoon a bad thing.:beer:

Skunk
10th March 2003, 14:14
Personally I admire their skill, :) and at the same time get pissed off with where they choose to demonstrate it :mad:

It sends the wrong message to Joe Public and the Powers-That-Be.

And I hate them cause I can't do it :p

SPman
10th March 2003, 17:10
Apparently its become something of an epidemic in some parts of the U S - so much so, that sportbike riders are singled out for "special" attention by the authorities and get a hard time . Something we can do without.

Also, Im jealous as hell......

Coldkiwi
11th March 2003, 11:32
you want squidiness??

check out www.starboyz.com (http://www.starboyz.com) and their gallery section

I think these guys DEFINE squid.

Hoon
11th March 2003, 18:42
I love doing wheelies!!  Its better than sex sometimes!  However what goes around comes around and if you do wheelies you will eventually crash - its not a matter of "if" but "WHEN"!

I always wear most my gear when commuting with the bare minimum being helmet, leather jacket and gloves (ok unless I'm going to the dairy).  If I'm going out for a thrash or to practice wheelies then I will wear helmet, gloves, 1pc suit, boots and back protector.

I don't do reckless stuff like highway wheelies or standing on the pegs while weaving through traffic but that is only because I can't. 

However I sure that if I could - I would!!