PDA

View Full Version : Creeping Yellow

merv
13th April 2004, 13:16
While we keep talking about speed enforcement on here, have you all noticed how the yellow no-passing lines are creeping further and further? Its real control freak stuff with Transit or local bodies telling us what is right and that it is not safe to pass there even if you come up behind a slow tractor. Examples are the continuous yellows now on the Haywards hill road heading North from near the top all the way paste Britton housemovers and down to the Moonshine Rd turnoff, another is Middleton Rd from Glenside to Tawa

Holy Roller
13th April 2004, 13:27
No-Passing Lane
THIS IS IN THE ROAD CODE for motorcyclists first edition 2001
Page 66
3.1 Passing
You can pass at a no-passing line if:
You stay on your side of the solid yellow line, and
you can see 100m of clear road in front of you for the whole time while you are passing, and
the lane is wide enough for two vehicles...

It even has pretty pixs to show this.
My son pointed this out to me when he was swatting up on the road code.
I always thought that solid yellow meant NO PASSING AT ALL TIMES.
I wonder how the revenue gathers view this law? :no:

wkid_one
13th April 2004, 13:40
Technically - Yellow Lines AREN'T no passing lines. They signify no crossing of the centre line is permitted.

MikeL
13th April 2004, 14:04
I always thought that solid yellow meant NO PASSING AT ALL TIMES.

I'm pretty sure that the last time I swotted up the Road Code (which was when I got my licence at the age of 17 or so), that was the law. Must have changed at some stage since then.
Wonder what else is different?
:bleh:

merv
13th April 2004, 14:06
Yep to all of you above I know all that, but what I'm commenting on is how they are creeping all over the place. Try passing a large slow tractor or truck without crossing the line. Too much of this and we may as well only travel in controlled public transport - is that what its going to get to and how soon? I presume this isn't just a Wellington thing.

svs
13th April 2004, 14:38
Also SH1 Pukera Bay to MacKays Crossing (over 10km) now all double yellow including some really long straight stretches. Yes, I can see that the road is clear for about 4 hundred meters but I still can't legally pass the f***ing slow van since he's sitting on the centre line even though the lane is almost wide enough for 2 cars :argh: Sorry - sore point with me.

k14
13th April 2004, 14:41
I have always thought of the rules as saying that and have passed many times staying on my side of the road. But most of the time i don't care what color the road lines are, if I can pass without getting taken out by another car i pass, which normally means 100m or so clear.

Hitcher
13th April 2004, 14:41
SH1 from Balclutha to Gore has over the past years developed a nearly uninterrupted double yellow. I'm surprised a solid median barrier hasn't been erected...

James Deuce
13th April 2004, 15:15
SH1 from Balclutha to Gore has over the past years developed a nearly uninterrupted double yellow. I'm surprised a solid median barrier hasn't been erected...

That would cost real money and might save lives. At least with double yellow lines naughty motorists can be clearly blamed for flouting the law.

That should get me in trouble :)

Coldkiwi
13th April 2004, 17:41
i used to live in fear of double yellows but since getting a bike with decent poke, I must admit I view double yellows as somewhat optional. If i can see enough road (and no cops!) to pass safely I will. I'll try and do it without crossing them but who gives a rip if I do and don't endanger anyone? as you point out Merv, they're creeping into silly areas. I wouldn't mind if they were in sensible locations (when was the last time you saw a blind corner on an open road with double yellows or even a solid white!?) but on flat open roads?... 'scuse me sir, just passing thru!'

Lou Girardin
13th April 2004, 20:40
Glad someone has noticed. All the double yellows at Mercer haven't stopped head-ons, have they?
Lou

wkid_one
13th April 2004, 22:00
Interesting this one. I know a rider - Mike - who was riding down the Alternate Highway North coming in to Auckland. He passed a car over the yellow lines - and as it happened a cop was coming the other way - pulled him and ticketed him for crossing the centre line.

Mike, understandably pissed, actually approached the LTSA to ensure that the yellow lines were in fact legal enstated. It came about that the lines had been painted on by the council with no legal bounds to actually be there. His ticket got thrown out as a result.

Just something to think about next time you are pulled for crossing a yellow.

PS - as I said before - these AREN"T NO PASSING LINES - Just no CROSSING LINES.

FROSTY
13th April 2004, 23:09
mental image of a funny conversation with a copper-"yes officer I was on the right hand side of the road,but offficer the yellow lines started after I started to overtake--Well I couldn't cross them could I ?? :ride:

Lou Girardin
14th April 2004, 06:41
You can actually cross them to pass an obstruction, eg. a stopped vehicle.
Lou

riffer
14th April 2004, 08:17
You can actually cross them to pass an obstruction, eg. a stopped vehicle.
Lou
Bollocks, according to the mot cop who took me for a car licence when I was 18 (1985). There was a broken down car blocking the lane of the road with double yellow lines on the road. The five or so cars in front of me all went around the car.

I stopped behind the car, turned to the officer and said "What should I do?"

He said "Your decision."

I made sure the road was clear, indicated and went around him, crossing the centre lines.

He turned to me, smiled, and said "that just cost you your licence. Drive back to the Centre, and we'll book you another test."

Needless to say I wasn't impressed. Ever since then I've just stopped behind cars in this situation when in the cage. Thanks for putting me right on that one. I guess I just scored a copper on a bad day.

Seems I have a habit of doing that...

Coldkiwi
14th April 2004, 12:15
I stopped behind the car, turned to the officer and said "What should I do?"

He said "Your decision."

I made sure the road was clear, indicated and went around him, crossing the centre lines.

He turned to me, smiled, and said "that just cost you your licence. Drive back to the Centre, and we'll book you another test."

what a tosser! you can bet he would do exactly the same thing if he came across a busted car. I wonder if his knuckle dragging children are still in the licencing system now? Wouldn't surprise me if they work for AA express (one of the biggest oxymorons I know)

merv
14th April 2004, 13:23
what a tosser! you can bet he would do exactly the same thing if he came across a busted car. I wonder if his knuckle dragging children are still in the licencing system now? Wouldn't surprise me if they work for AA express (one of the biggest oxymorons I know)

A decent copper would have got out of the car to check on the busted car and would have directed you around the problem.

Also can you imagine how long a cop waits at a traffic light that is stuck on red which seems to happen occasionally. I know I can only be patient for so long.

merv
14th April 2004, 13:27
Glad someone has noticed. All the double yellows at Mercer haven't stopped head-ons, have they?
Lou

Same applies Pukerua Bay to McKays, the yellow lines have not stopped the inattentive (or is that drunk, stoned or tired) crossing the centre line and wiping out some innocent coming the other way or crashing onto the rocks below. In the case of the last one ending up on the rocks the media coverage from family was all about how it was the road's fault for not having enough barriers on the sea side of the road.

scumdog
14th April 2004, 14:05

I use that section of road quite regularly, the yellow lines don't seem to delay me too much when I'm on my scoot but brother! when you are in a car and stuck behind two truck'n'trailer units it's a different story, - and yellow lines or no yellow lines you would still have a job passing that type of mobile roadblock. :brick:
I've a mate who says most of the offending drivers crossing the yellow lines on that stretch of road are in rental cars and mostly non-honkies <_<

Lou Girardin
15th April 2004, 07:05
He had no right to do that celticno6, but then you don't argue with the guy that might take you for your next test.
Some cops hated testing so much that they took it out on the applicants. There were wankers in the MOT too.
Lou

James Deuce
15th April 2004, 07:11
He had no right to do that celticno6, but then you don't argue with the guy that might take you for your next test.
Some cops hated testing so much that they took it out on the applicants. There were wankers in the MOT too.
Lou

My guy was really good and had heaps of helpful advice. He could have failed me when I had to do a real emergency stop (some tart backed straight out of an angle park without looking) and stalled it, but he was complimentary about avoiding the crunching of metal.

Interestingly he told me that I could cross the double yellow lines to pass a stationary vehicle after I sat behind a broken down bus for 5 minutes. I looked hard at him to see if he was taking the piss, but there was no comment after I went around.

spudchucka
15th April 2004, 22:50
There were wankers in the MOT too.
Lou
Oh, that is so tempting!!!!!