PDA

View Full Version : Getting dirty

duckman
13th April 2004, 14:57
Can some of you dirty types (Motu), give me a idea of what sort of bike would make a good first trails bike. Also what should I expect to pay for an entry level cycle. ??

I've been riding road for 12 odd years, and I've had a couple of goes at the off road thing but I've got a lot to learn.

Are any of the events coming up where you can hire or borrow a bike to try out the trails experience before buying ??

Thanks guys.... :apint:

vifferman
13th April 2004, 15:20
That's a very open-ended question. What would you say if someone asked you to recommend a road bike?

The answers is: It Depends.
Do you want something you can also ride on the road (a trailbike), or just a straight-out dirtbike (motocrosser, trials bike)? How big are you (weight, height)? This makes a difference to what kind of bike you ride, so if you're a short person, then a tall motocross bike would be out. If you're ginormouse, then you don't want a small bike.
Two stroke or four stroke? Enduro, motocross, trail, trials? Quad or two-wheeler?

Trying something out is a good idea - sorry I can't give you any idea where you can do that. If you can hook up with someone who has a dirtbike or two, then that would be a good start - at least you would have a starting point for size, style, etc.

duckman
13th April 2004, 15:40
That's a very open-ended question. What would you say if someone asked you to recommend a road bike?

The answers is: It Depends.
Do you want something you can also ride on the road (a trailbike), or just a straight-out dirtbike (motocrosser, trials bike)? How big are you (weight, height)? This makes a difference to what kind of bike you ride, so if you're a short person, then a tall motocross bike would be out. If you're ginormouse, then you don't want a small bike.
Two stroke or four stroke? Enduro, motocross, trail, trials? Quad or two-wheeler?

Trying something out is a good idea - sorry I can't give you any idea where you can do that. If you can hook up with someone who has a dirtbike or two, then that would be a good start - at least you would have a starting point for size, style, etc.

Ah bloody good points there.... :Oops:
I'm not looking for a road registered bike,
I'm about 6.0ft, 80kgs
I've ridden two smoke dirt bikes but never tried a four stroke dirt bike...
I want to use the bike for mucking around in places like woodhill forest and attending these organised rides through farm land e.t.c.
I had a KDX200 which was pretty cool but a little low on power.

I've heard that the CR250 and KX250 are really big on power but then I see bikes like the XR650 and think WTF is that going to do to me ... ?? :eek5:

So I'd be keen to hear from anyone who may have some suggestions on which bikes I might like to try out.... Cheers.

vifferman
13th April 2004, 16:26
Well, that narrows it down a little.
A KDX200 is a little softer in the power delivery than a motocrosser, and a little heavier, so if you found that a bit wanting in the power department, you probably wouldn't want a 125 motocrosser, which would be similar power output but lighter.
There's a big difference in power delivery and weight between say an XR650 and a CR250, KX250, etc. The XR is much heavier, and more torquey, with no definite power band, so it's good for lugging up hills, through mud, etc. It also is much heavier when you've fallen over on a hill or in the mud and it's on top of you :laugh:

If you wanted to race your mates, go fast, do wheelies and jumps, then you probably want a 'crosser, but if you want to just play around then go for something like an XR400 or bigger four-stroke. Bear in mind that a motocrosser is not built for a long life, and unless it's been overhauled may need some work. Offsetting that is the fact it should be easier to work.

If I were you, I'd just keep an eye on what the various bikes sell for, then look for something at the right price and condition for your budget. I'm sure you'd enjoy whatever you end up with, as long as it's not breaking down on you all the time.

Hope this helps.

duckman
13th April 2004, 16:30
Thanks firestormer, I'll start scanning Trademe and see what comes up.

I think I'll need to test ride a XR400 to get an idea of what that would feel like.

F5 Dave
13th April 2004, 17:22
Depends, if you have been used to, say a KDX, then an XR400 will feel like you are landing a block of flats.

At least that’s what it felt like to me jumping from my KDX to a borrowed 400. + I couldn’t start the damn thing. At 6’ you will have some more leverage & this may not be such an issue. I’d never buy a fourstroke without an electric leg. Specially when hot & you've dropped it.

On the side of a hill. . .

Motu
13th April 2004, 17:27
Bear in mind that if you are new to this game you will spend a lot of time picking your bike up,pushing it up hill,dragging it out of swamps,up river banks etc - you may be 6 ft tall and strong as an ox,but believe me,you're gunna be stuffed at the end of the day.

I'd be looking post 92,XR250 is the bench mark,but give the others a look - but stay away from the trail type bikes...XL,XT,KLR,these have not so good suspn,steel tanks etc.Check out TradeMe,2 to 3 grand should get you on something good.

laRIKin
13th April 2004, 18:30
How's it going Duckman? Good trip home?

I think that if you want a good all round trail bike that with not scare the pants off you, that is easy to ride with power if you flog it.
Which has an easy up keep.
I think that the bike should look at is a KTM300EXC.
Maybe even the 200EXC but the 300 will give you some room the grow and
will not have to trade up to soon.
I also think the old XR's are now showing their age, but they are agood bike.

merv
13th April 2004, 19:03
I always swore by the old XRs but when I got old I went looking for electric start which is the way to go these days. Unlike you I am a short arse so I looked for small lightweight bikes. Tried a DR250R, didn't like the Suzuki motor. Absolutely crap carburettor on it - a flat slide Mikuni that no matter what I did to it I could not get it to work smoothly resulting in a jerky ride on tight slippery trails coupled with very bad driveline lash.

So finally after waiting for Honda to bring out good electric start bikes (and my requirements are that they must be road legal) and they didn't, I bought a Yamaha WR250F because I loved the motor and overcome the height problem by fitting a shorter Ohlins shock to the rear. You don't need to worry about the height problem and would suit a larger bike than me. XR400 as has been suggested (no electric start) but depends on what you want to spend. XR650 also has no electric start but would be a good all round bike for a tall person.

You can buy anything from a couple of grand as has been mentioned or you can buy no end of new electric start bikes up to around $15k including KTMs, Yam WR450F or whatever.

So something cheap would be a second hand CR250R which would be light and fast or if you prefer the four strokes unless you buy one of the new generation models they are usually a bit heavier and a bit slower but should go for longer without an engine rebuild.

Your pick really depending on how much you want to spend and what type of bike you prefer.

Kickaha
13th April 2004, 19:12
I'd still be looking at the KDX200 they can be made to go a lot quicker with minimal mods and outlay,nice linear power delivery,good suspension and brakes, the post 95 are a bit quicker than the earlier ones and they are reasonably priced.

Wouldn't bother with a motocross bike,very hard work on a trailride and with a harsh power delivery,out trailriding with a mate riding one which got away on him,which got him a ride home in the ambulance 18 fractures in his foot,1 in his leg and 2 in his back

Four strokes I'd also consider the Suzuki DR350 as I consider the XR Honda's a bit overpriced but still a very good bike.

As for myself I ride a tatty 1982 Yamaha IT200 with a KDX200 disc brake front on it and some minor port work,it has enough power to get me in the crap,handles well enough for anything we're likely to do and manages to see off a few late model bikes.

laRIKin
13th April 2004, 19:41
I'd still be looking at the KDX200 they can be made to go a lot quicker with minimal mods and outlay,nice linear power delivery,good suspension and brakes, the post 95 are a bit quicker than the earlier ones and they are reasonably priced.

You are right the post 95 are quicker, but strangely it's not the motor, it's in their handling. I did know 2 guys that had pre and post 95 bikes (stock).

In a drag they were the same, the differents was in the frame.
Which ever one of them rode the 95 bike was the faster.
When they were rideing them through the trees and on the tracks.

duckman
14th April 2004, 09:09
Wow - Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'll keep an eye out for a post 95 KDX200. I did enjoy the way it rode and it only let me down when I tried to ride up vertical sand dunes .. :eek5:

Once I get myslef sorted I'll let ya know and hopefully someone will be keen to come out to woodhill for a blast around. :apint:

F5 Dave
14th April 2004, 09:14
Check out http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ for info on KDXs. Also on the DRN forums there is a site for KDXs & a search will bring up many of the questions etc of interest when looking for a bike.

PS the jetting is way off std & make the bike burble until the power hits & there are suggestions that will steer you close to the mark of smooth power delivery.

pete376403
14th April 2004, 09:44
A big ol' two stroke (Yamaha IT / YZ 400, 465, 490, Honda CR500, Kawasaki KX500 etc) can make you believe in god in a very short time.
Japanese engines have always been so much better than japanese frames, suspensions and brakes :laugh:

Kickaha
14th April 2004, 18:59
In a drag they were the same, the differents was in the frame.
Which ever one of them rode the 95 bike was the faster.
When they were rideing them through the trees and on the tracks.

In a drag my IT200 is just as quick as a stocker KDX!

One thing that will make a big difference is getting that power to the ground,good tyres are a must I run a Bridgestone M59-M402 F/R but will be changing to Metzler MC5-MC6 next time around,which pretty much everyone I know uses and they seem to work very well.

riffer
14th April 2004, 19:15
A big ol' two stroke (Yamaha IT / YZ 400, 465, 490, Honda CR500, Kawasaki KX500 etc) can make you believe in god in a very short time.
Japanese engines have always been so much better than japanese frames, suspensions and brakes :laugh:
Brakes? My IT400 didn't have brakes! I thought that was the optional clutch lever!

laRIKin
14th April 2004, 19:39
In a drag my IT200 is just as quick as a stocker KDX!.

Sorry am I missing something here mate?
I thought we were talking about pre and post KDX's

One thing that will make a big difference is getting that power to the ground,good tyres are a must I run a Bridgestone M59-M402 F/R but will be changing to Metzler MC5-MC6 next time around,which pretty much everyone I know uses and they seem to work very well.

I agree, you can only ride as good as your tires let you.
We have found that Michelin S12's are a good tire aswell, but I found on my bigger heavier bike the side walls are to soft. So I use the Metzler MC5 up front now.

I also are trying out and found Pirell DOT tire, MT21 is agood all round tire.
The front has washed out once or twice, but that could have rider error.
As my KTM does that unless I'm on the gas, right though the corner.

Motu
14th April 2004, 21:05
In a drag my IT200 is just as quick as a stocker KDX!

I'll back you up - my 81 pro link XR 200 would beat a water cooled KDX 200 in a straight line drag too,in a hill climb as well...getting the power to the ground and using it, getting the bike set up is more important than what bike.

SNOman
15th April 2004, 09:48
Depends, if you have been used to, say a KDX, then an XR400 will feel like you are landing a block of flats.

At least that’s what it felt like to me jumping from my KDX to a borrowed 400. + I couldn’t start the damn thing. At 6’ you will have some more leverage & this may not be such an issue. I’d never buy a fourstroke without an electric leg. Specially when hot & you've dropped it.

On the side of a hill. . .

I used to have a major problem with my old XR350 when I had a get off and had to try and restart it hot. I used to curse and swear something chronic. I've now fixed the problem so that it's a one, maybe two kick deal. The answer, for me anyway, was to spend more money on a spark plug. I put a platinum plug in my bike. Best $25 I ever spent :rockon:

pete376403
15th April 2004, 10:30
Sorry am I missing something here mate?
I thought we were talking about pre and post KDX's.

Nooo, the thread was more a query about dirt bikes in general, and various people have offered various opinions. The O/P can distill all these opinions and hopefully find something that suits his needs. A 6 ft, 80kg rider might be happier on a bike bigger than a KDX200. But thats just my opinion.

F5 Dave
15th April 2004, 10:44
At 6’ & only 80kg he’s hardly a big guy. If he was any taller he’d be tending to skinnyarse. Bikes all get heavy to pick up when they are dropped in a bog. :thud:

If you are starting out or are well rusty smaller & lighter the better. Having said that some people like the 4 stroke easy to manage power & some love that 2 stroke ‘Zing’. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: