PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GT250R jetkit for carbie????? any help

GT250R
10th March 2006, 18:39
Have been reading up on the internet and alot of people are saying to get bigger jets in the carbie and change the rear muffler on the GT250R.

The chamber part is easy but can anyone reccomend where to go for the carbie work or any reccomendations on if this is even advisable to get done to the bike?????

Any input appreciated!!

R6_kid
10th March 2006, 18:51
well carb work you can do anywhere, for best results it should be done in conjunction with a dyno but thats where it starts to get pricey.

Any mechanic can tune and balance your carbs to a new pipe, it just depends how far you want to take it really.

SwanTiger
10th March 2006, 18:59
Easiest way would be to find a Kawasaki dealership and ask them to do the work, seen as so Hyosung pretty much is Kawasaki.

I'm not going to bother modding my GT250R however I'm tempted to get the GT650R, I just want to learn for now but because I'm not a small person a little extra power would be nice.

GT250R
10th March 2006, 20:21
Easiest way would be to find a Kawasaki dealership and ask them to do the work, seen as so Hyosung pretty much is Kawasaki.

I'm not going to bother modding my GT250R however I'm tempted to get the GT650R, I just want to learn for now but because I'm not a small person a little extra power would be nice.

How are you finding your GT250R ?
Any gripes and also do you have that flat spot in third??

SwanTiger
10th March 2006, 20:28
Its a pretty nice bike, I quite enjoy riding it and apart from the shitty brakes (which I'm having replaced) its quite a nice bike. I'm keen to get something bigger, so will probably go for the GT650R and possibly adjust the gearing. If I stick with the 250 then I'll adjust the gearing and get a different exhust for it as well.

And yep, the flatspot in third is annoying but I've learnt to live with it, I only notice it when I'm doodling around town (50 - 80km/h zones) but its just the powerband taking its time (reeves not quite right).

Quite often when a cockfag at the lights wants to race I use it to my advantage, I'll let them take off fast then get beside them in third and hold it on the edge of the flatspot... then full throttle... it takes a moment or two but with full throttle... when it kicks in a bit of juice gets pumping and you look cool for 2 seconds, then back to working the gears :D

How do you find your GT250R? what made you choose it.

GT250R
10th March 2006, 22:05
the main thing for me when picking my first price was looks I have t admit but running in at a close second was definately value for money there was nothing else around which you could buy at the price of the GT250R that looked good and wasn't 10 years old love the fact that it is brand new so it takes alot of the worries away that go through your head with an older bike. I've heard about the brakes but have to admit I haven't really had any gripes about them I find they stop really well and the feel I get from them is getting better as they bed in !
What do you find to be wrong with the brakes yourself??

GT250R
10th March 2006, 22:06
liked the size of it also the other 250's just seem tiny!

SwanTiger
10th March 2006, 22:18
Yeah, the size of the bike had to be one of the primary reasons I got the GT250R. However I am still scratching my head as to why I got the 250cc version, definitely time to move on to the 650. The 250 is great for around town and cruising, but when you're like me and enjoy a good blat, its nice to have the power up hills and for over taking cars on the open road.

In regards to the brakes, they are excellent for around town, however I'm 110kg and often go on rides where the average speed is 130km/h - 140km/h so the brakes would be put through more stress.

Also, for the life of me I can't pull a bloody stoppie! was told by Mike at Mt. Eden that the 'woodyness' can be solved by better quality brakes or sometimes they overglaze and just need to be sanded down.

I also found out that the race exhust you can get adds another 10mp/h or so to the top end, I'm not sure what effect it has on acceleration but I imagine it'll give a bit more go. I'd like to see the result of carb/gearing modifications, I imagine setup properly these bikes could give a few of the 600's a good go with the amount of torque the little V-Twin engines put out.

As I've mentioned before, I've found that my acceleration out of corners can match that of the bigger bikes as they usually have a flatspot before it starts to pick up.

Definitely a good looking bike, did you consider any other colours? I brought the red one on the spot, however seeing pictures of the black and yellow ones, its a hard choice, I quite like black but yellow looks show-offy too - good for being noticed on the road as well.

SwanTiger
10th March 2006, 22:29
Question for you GT250R...

Have you been able to find any websites with real information on it relating to Hyosung motorcycles? I'm having a shit time finding reviews or anything user/rider related on the web.

I've been tempted a few times to setup a website myself and try to bring as much information about Hyosung motorcycles as possible, including the possible modifications and dealers/agents to do so.

I have the GT250R and will most likely buy the GT650R, my partner has the GV250 cruiser, which is quite a nice looking little bike with the same engine as the GT250 series.

And according to Mt. Eden Motorcycles they are selling like hotcakes, so its really surprising to see the lack of information.

If any, its mainly located in forums like this one.

Bonez
11th March 2006, 07:11
I've been tempted a few times to setup a website myself and try to bring as much information about Hyosung motorcycles as possible, including the possible modifications and dealers/agents to do so.

Why not set up a Hyosung Club here at KBer?

GT250R
11th March 2006, 09:29
Question for you GT250R...

Have you been able to find any websites with real information on it relating to Hyosung motorcycles? I'm having a shit time finding reviews or anything user/rider related on the web.

I have the GT250R and will most likely buy the GT650R, my partner has the GV250 cruiser, which is quite a nice looking little bike with the same engine as the GT250 series.

And according to Mt. Eden Motorcycles they are selling like hotcakes, so its really surprising to see the lack of information.

If any, its mainly located in forums like this one.

All I was able to find was a few write ups in australia and in japan
I just did a search on google for GT250R and Hyosung etc.
but as for everthing you really want to know there was nothing I could find through a search about them.
Just the usual stuff ....... Looks good, flat spot in third etc. etc.
and of course the brakes feeling extremely wooden.
I chose red mainly to be seen I really liked the black but as my first bike to paranoid about not being seen at night so red it IS.

GT250R
11th March 2006, 09:33
thats not a bad idea

how do we atart a club in KB???

GT250R
11th March 2006, 09:36
Here is a link for an Australian writeup
http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/AMCN_DEC_05_GT250R.HTML

Qman
11th March 2006, 16:45
would be keen on a KB in house GT250r club

I have the flat spot in 3rd as well, no issues so far with brakes, apart from the squeel from the rear.

Haven't found much on the web either

Comet250Owners@yahoogroups.com some interesting stuff on here but cant find any treads about the GT250R

GT250R
11th March 2006, 19:03
While reading ine of the forums on KB I can't find which one...
someone mentioned that the flat spot in third can be sorted under warranty by replacing the CDI????
does anyone know what that is??

Qman
12th March 2006, 12:23
I was talking to the guys at Mt Eden about it, they ot sure but said if it didnt clear itself up by the next service they would replace the CDI and see if it helped. It was one of the Wellington GTR boys who was talking about replacing the CDI.

"The principal advantage of a CDI system is the ability to present a superior spark to the air/fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber, thus maximizing burn efficiency. The easiest way to get a bigger spark is to increase the spark plug gap size. However, increasing the gap distance also increases the voltage necessary to ionize the air/fuel mixture. And the resistance of the air/fuel mixture increases as the mixture is pressurized in the cylinder, requiring even higher voltage to spark across a plug. A CDI system provides the higher voltage required by the increased spark plug gap size, thus providing very intense spark"

GT250R
12th March 2006, 23:46
coolo thats what a CDI does thanks for the info I'll mention the issue when I take it in for the first service,

SwanTiger
12th March 2006, 23:59
I doubt you guys would of, but have any of you noticed that the spark plugs don't enjoy being held around the 140kmp/h mark for too long?

I've been considering upgrading the spark plugs to the ones which withstand a higher heat temprature. The bike is booked in for its 4,000km service on Wednesday so might try getting them switched over.

Along my internet journey's I found a website devoted to Korean made motorcycles, it seems to have a lot of information about mods and shit and is forum orientated. Check it out, http://www.korider.com/

Came across pictures of a guy wheeling his GT650R, looks pretty sweet :D

I reckon the GT250R could easily pop a wheelie, would need an aftermarket exhust, better spark plugs, re-tunning and a bit of practise.

GT250R
14th March 2006, 21:02
Well I ahve to admit the Gt650 racebike looks fairly impressive will have to keep up with the series to see just how it performs....

I've read in one of the forums on KB before I bought my bike that there was a guy popping wheelies on the GT250R standard so I'm sure you'll be able to pull one with a couple of mods let me know where and when man I'll be there to watch!!!!!!!

fatty2by4
19th April 2007, 14:59
I doubt you guys would of, but have any of you noticed that the spark plugs don't enjoy being held around the 140kmp/h mark for too long?

I reckon the GT250R could easily pop a wheelie, would need an aftermarket exhust, better spark plugs, re-tunning and a bit of practise.

I've taken my 250r out on the track a few times here at baskerville. I took the stay upright advanced, and cornering and braking courses. During the course I was consistently above 150 down the straight (to redline at 164 at times, and then a bit past redline a few of those), and while it wasn't for very long it seemed to like it alot. I've of course been out on the back roads and had it around the same speed, but for alot longer periods of time. It still seems to like it quite a bit.

On the wheelie part... there isn't that much go in 1st as I've noticed. I might get them to change the CDI as previously mentioned. I weigh 105kg, and well it doesn't like lifting me up in 1st. Maybe 2nd, but def. not f1st. I tried the tap the front brake, lean back, and drop the clutch... still no go. I only tried it once, but as soon as the front wheel came up, my fat ass pushed it right back down, then the engine got happier again (:

All in all I love this little bike. I've been out of riding for some years now, and decided to go slowly into it again (read: not an R6) and now that I've got some better skills (stay upright) I think I might graduate to a bigger big. It's good though for anything from track days (was a complete blast pushing it beyond it's limits), to just riding for 1200k's cross country... It was a bit uncomfortable though (;

Fatty-

SwanTiger
19th April 2007, 19:33
I've taken my 250r out on the track a few times here at baskerville. I took the stay upright advanced, and cornering and braking courses. During the course I was consistently above 150 down the straight (to redline at 164 at times, and then a bit past redline a few of those), and while it wasn't for very long it seemed to like it alot. I've of course been out on the back roads and had it around the same speed, but for alot longer periods of time. It still seems to like it quite a bit.

On the wheelie part... there isn't that much go in 1st as I've noticed. I might get them to change the CDI as previously mentioned. I weigh 105kg, and well it doesn't like lifting me up in 1st. Maybe 2nd, but def. not f1st. I tried the tap the front brake, lean back, and drop the clutch... still no go. I only tried it once, but as soon as the front wheel came up, my fat ass pushed it right back down, then the engine got happier again (:

All in all I love this little bike. I've been out of riding for some years now, and decided to go slowly into it again (read: not an R6) and now that I've got some better skills (stay upright) I think I might graduate to a bigger big. It's good though for anything from track days (was a complete blast pushing it beyond it's limits), to just riding for 1200k's cross country... It was a bit uncomfortable though (;

Fatty-
I'm 110kg and had no trouble popping wheelies on my GT250R once I'd worked out the technique. Basically it's a combination of slight clutch (but not much, a very fractional amount just to get it to bounce the revs) then drop it as you load up the front slash and bounce at the same time.

It's a heavy bike relative to the horse power it puts out, but once it's up, it's quite well balanced (compared to anything else I've wheelied anyway).

There are pictures of me doing wheelies and stoppies somewhere on this site, there are plenty of other pictures to be found on Google Images as well. There is a American dude who put video footage up as well, although he'd put on a larger rear sprocket.

Joeli
24th August 2007, 22:13
A question for you all, wouldn't it be easier to pop a wheelie if you drop the clutch at the rev with the most torque?

Pancakes
26th August 2007, 22:14
I haven't noticed any flat spots but it seems there is lots of talk around this in the earlier ones.

I have the naked yellow with the silver frame, recon the black frame looks pretty average on the naked ones.

Wheelies, easy from a standing start in 1st or moving via the clutch in 1st or 2nd. I don't try to get it up tho, feels mean to have it hit the ground from too high! Just like to try to launch it hard.

Got it cos it was new for the same money as an old bike, not as fast as simalar priced used bikes but faster than a busted one!

I', 175cm (roughly) and 70kg, it doesn't mind $1.40 all day long.

I made a straight thru pipe and gained power/extra revs up top and I backed off before the bike did quite far into redline at the expense of lots of torque low down, I don't think the extra revs is enough gain to lose torque for.

You can get a high flow pipe and have it dyno'ed for more power or buy a bigger bike!

Pancakes
26th August 2007, 22:21
it's a real popular bike in Mylasia (sp?) but sold as a Naza Blade, search that.

Personally would have Spectrum (Barrys Point Rd) work on my bike over Mt Eden and have had a number of firsthand experiences that give me reasons for that.