PDA

View Full Version : Price of gas vs riding the bike

Wonko
10th March 2006, 20:07
Now I don't know about al of you, but a fiar few of you ride your bikes every day to and from work. I used to get my basic every day riding fix the same way. But now I have a problem. I use my car on the odd ocasion for work purposes, and the boss has given me the use of company card for my car gas under strict instructions that it is only for car use. Free gas in the car means more money for me, but more limited weekly riding fixes.

Should I use the car and save money, or take the bike and have fun??

Shadows
10th March 2006, 20:17
Under those instructions I would ride the bike but pay for gas myself, if I needed the car for work then I'd fill it up with the card.
I think though that I'd sit down with the boss and say "hey, man...", I mean filling up the bike has got to be cheaper than filling up the car, and if you can use your bike for work instead I can't see what rational argument he'd be able to use against the proposition.

Wonko
10th March 2006, 20:42
Carting an extra 200 kg's of product just is not going to fly with the box, and I don't have a tank bag that big.

Also the reason it is just for the car is that if he ever get's audited, then $50 at the pump looks more like a work car than $20(we had that discussion)

Tell ya what Wonko... next time you fill up I'll come two, and we'll get someone else...

Presto! $50 fill up

Sniper
11th March 2006, 06:51
I like Weasels idea, but Wonko, I know what you mean. I was giving a fuel card for the purpouses of filling up cars ONLY. Had a wee discussion with the boss at the time who was so Pig Headed it was just a firm "NO" before I even finished the sentance. Decided then that ringing the head of the company (OK, I hated my boss) was a good Idea and he jumped at the idea of saving money as ity would cost me $20 a week to run the bike (300km a week) instead of $80 or more depending on what cars I used.

Could you do that to your boss?

Colapop
11th March 2006, 06:55
easy just fill the car and a gas can at the same time. Put the gas can in the boot for 'emergencies' like when you need to ride the bike to work. The bill is the right amount, the boss is helping to pay for your expenses (apart from wages) - everyone wins!!

Genesismatrix
11th March 2006, 09:15
yeah i dont really think you boss would have a problem with you filling your bike and riding it just to work after all you will be saving his money. I think as long as you talk to the boss well before and dont just start filling your bike

Flatcap
11th March 2006, 16:44
Sounds like your boss hasn't really put much thought into the potential savings he is missing out on. I agree with the other guys - enlighten him as to all the money you can save the company through your frugality. Tell him your idea is "Best Cost" - that seems to be the current hot button term

Swoop
11th March 2006, 18:43
Garden hose = siphon [sp] ........

Wonko
12th March 2006, 10:45
My boss is great and the cost isn't the factor for him. Just as long as it looks like a work related expense, heance bigger value fills instead of small value fills.

I ahve thought about the gas can idea but I like to keep an eye on my mileage. Might give you a call Weasel, discounted gas for everyone.

Zed
12th March 2006, 11:18
Should I use the car and save money, or take the bike and have fun??Depends on your financial situation i spose? If you're strapped for cash why not save some money and take advantage of the company perks while you can! But then again, it also depends on how much you value your "fun"!

Can't have the best of both worlds in this situation unfortunately. ;)

Sutage
12th March 2006, 13:49
cash out !!!

Back Fire
12th March 2006, 17:13
Unless I was in a real tight spot for cash... I'd take the bike and pay for my own gas... but then I can't comment because I cant drive :lol: