PDA

View Full Version : Yay got my bike - SRX250!!

blitz
11th March 2006, 16:40
Hey all!!

Got my first bike!!

Its a 1984 Yamaha SRX 250. Its got about 49,000k's on it and was first regod in NZ in 1993 with about 20,000k's. Its had 4 owners and before the current owner it was MT Eden Motorcycles. The guy brought it off them for around $2500 - which i think was wayyy too much and he also agreed!! Haha i got him down to $1200!! His reserve in the Auction was $1600 but we sorted it outside Trade Me as it didnt reach reserve.

Cosmetically it could do with a few things. Its got a few small tears in the seat and the paint on the tank is faded. How much could i get the tank repainted for? The fairings have a few small cracks, but it is an old bike.

Mechanically it is great!! Its a single cylinder 4 Stroke and it reasonably light (Around 130 kgs). Brakes, clutch and chain is excellent and the tyres have good tread. Its also regod and WOF till around August.

Not a huge amount of power but i only want it to get me to uni in one piece really. Has had a service by Mt Eden Motorcycles earlier in the year.

I did the AA Lemon check and everything is fine. But should i be worried that the plates have changed?? I think it was around when it was regod in 93-95(give or take a few years). It may just not have been used for a while and had to get re vinned etc. I dont think its a major.

I still havent got it yet or paid for it in full, im gonna get it on Monday.

Anyway, im still gonna ride my Scooter for a few weeks while i look at getting the tank repainted and the other minor niggles. If anyone knows a cheap place in Aucks that can do the tank let me know!!

Cheers
Jono.

Insanity_rules
11th March 2006, 20:10
Hey Blitz, sweet ride dude! I'm a trade me freak and saw it up. thought it looked like a good start for a nice bike.

Good price too.

See ya on the black top fella!

Remember rubber side down!

blitz
16th March 2006, 21:59
How many k's can my bike do before it starts to crap out?? The cam chain aint rattling yet but ill probably change it in a few hundred K's just to be safe. What else can i do to the bike to extend its life and not cause me any problems. Apart from the usual oil/filter, spark plug and air filter maintanence of course.

Buster
16th March 2006, 22:00
Sweet ride dude. Enjoy :rockon:

FROSTY
16th March 2006, 22:07
sweet lil bike dude--well impressive--and so cheap to fix if it craps out

blitz
17th March 2006, 07:49
Cheers.

Should i do the cam chain before it hits 45,000? Ive that if it goes its gonna cost me more to get the valves and stuff fixed. Which i really dont want to happen!!

Around how much am i looking at for a new cam chain. Is it easy for someone with a low-med level of mechanics to do. Or should i leave it to the pros?

Ixion
17th March 2006, 08:04
Conventinal s=wisdom is you don't need to start worrying until 60000 km. course, thing is, on a twenty year old bike, how reliable is that mileage figure? If it's not rattling it's prolly OK. Cam chain on SRX250 is easy as cam chains go, but maybe not a task for a novice.

And you'll need a fairly good basic tool kit - no special tools needed, but.

EDIT: Cam chain is just over $100 - plus maybe $50 for gaskets and such, plus anything else you find needs doing.

Postie
17th March 2006, 08:08
what a great little bike, I borrowed Ixion's one to do my restricted on and i didn't want to give it back, scary as hell trying to do 110 on the motorway with a moderate side wind, but a bloody awesome little bike, heaps of fun, comfortable. Wouldn't mind getting one myself if i saw one at the right price.

blitz
17th March 2006, 13:25
Yep its a great bike. I even managed to obtain a copy of the Aussie biker Magazine which has a 5 page review on the SRX250 in 1985! Haha they rate them pretty high! Just need to find a manual now.

Ixion
17th March 2006, 13:53
Little hope of a manual, though if you DO find one , let me know.

But, for engine stuff, a manual for a DOHC XT250/XT350 will do, it is basically the same engine. For most purposes one for a TT250/TTR250 would be OK, electrics is different is all.

Ride fast, ride safe

surfchick
17th March 2006, 14:00
yay anoder person on a bike in da decades old!!
pretty stylie!

Jamiepo
21st March 2006, 10:26
Yeah if you do find a manual for one I would be keen for a photocopy of it too. Ixion, does the xt250 have the same carby setup?? as I need to get some new jst for mine and a new diaphragm.

Ixion
21st March 2006, 12:12
Yes Xt250 (NB only the DOHC one) has the same carbs. XT350 has similar, just a bigger one

Sniper
21st March 2006, 15:56
Well done mate, remember, rubber side up

Fooman
21st March 2006, 16:03
[QUOTE=blitz
I did the AA Lemon check and everything is fine. But should i be worried that the plates have changed?? I think it was around when it was regod in 93-95(give or take a few years). It may just not have been used for a while and had to get re vinned etc. I dont think its a major.
[/QUOTE]

It could be something as simple as having to replace a damaged numberplate - I had to do it on my 2nd bike to pass a WOF. Good luck with the bike and safe riding!

Cheers,
FM

Hawkeye
21st March 2006, 19:17
1984 Yamaha SRX 250. The fairings have a few small cracks, but it is an old bike.

Mechanically it is great!! Its a single cylinder 4 Stroke and it reasonably light (Around 130 kgs).
Not a huge amount of power

Hi Blitz,

Looks like a nice bike, just needing a bit TLC. It's very like my first bike. Same situation. Just in need of TLC. Don't worry about the power. You will have plenty until you get some confidence. Although if you've already been riding a scooter than you will be sweet.
Just be aware about going on 'Newbie' rides. That's when you realise the lack of power. Ride it for a year until you get your full and then upgrade.
I wouldn't worry about the first bike. It's only a start. You will very quickly progress to something faster.

I paid $100 for my bike.
4 days of hard work stripping it down and sanding.
$160 for tyres.
$20 for a mirror.
$15 for new grips.
Replaced the headlight wiring.
Glassed the cracks in the fairing.
$100 of paint.
WOF + Reg

and hey Presto, I'm on the road.
(photo attached of one that is identical. I just need the decals for the fairing ).

Ixion
21st March 2006, 20:19
SRX is good for a sustained 130-140kph depending on wind and how much you weigh. I've seen an indicated ton (which is also about what I weigh!) ,and downhill they can be wound off the clock to 180 or 190kph

I *seriously* hope nobody is proposing newbie rides at those speeds!

If you get the chance to go on one of the well organised newbie rides that Messrs Weasel and Gremlin so meritoriously put on, grab it. You'll have all the power you need.

And the SRX behaves very well on gravel too. Find a gravel road and spend an hour or two, you'll learn more in a few hours there than in as many months riding on seal.

'Tis a very forgiving little bike. If you run into any difficulties just give the handlebars a shove , left to for left turn, right for right. Oh, and keep your feet tucked up they can get trapped under the pegs when cornering.

Jamiepo
22nd March 2006, 11:03
I have got a parts manuals with an exploded view of the whole bike, its for the 1987 model so if anyone is interested just let me know.

blitz
22nd March 2006, 16:30
Yeah its a nifty lil thing!

Ive got a m8 whos a boat upholsterer and hes gonna recover my seat for free with some nice marine grade vinyl. Another mate who sprays cars is gonna do the fairings and tank for cheap.

How hard were the fairings etc to prep? What grade sand paper did you use etc. Ill prob have to do this and pay a lil for paint (Should be a nice winter past time!).

blitz
22nd March 2006, 16:34
sorry double post!!

zeocen
22nd March 2006, 19:02
Sounds like you're having fun with your new ride blitz :D My first bike I got just a couple of days ago is 1990 but tip top condition, all I could really do was polish it and clean the alloys, and boy was I satisfied once I did! So I can only imagine how satisfied you're going to be once you finish!

blitz
22nd March 2006, 20:21
Oh you got a Ninja! Im jealous! Was that the one on trade me? If it was it looks mint!

Was gonna go look at it but i knew it was going to go for a bit more than i had $$.

Good luck!!

BEAMER89
22nd March 2006, 21:34
Congrates on your new bike purchase blits, enjoy your new ride mate:spudflip:

zeocen
22nd March 2006, 22:28
Oh you got a Ninja! Im jealous! Was that the one on trade me? If it was it looks mint!

Was gonna go look at it but i knew it was going to go for a bit more than i had $$.

Good luck!!

Nah not the one from trademe, I got it from a very generous KB'er *cough*F/F*cough*, a supreme buy if I ever did find one! It's good to know there's a few others in Auckland who are learning the same time as me :D

I'll have to learn ...stuff... and figure out how to put a pic of my lil bike in an avatar too hehe (edit: well that was easy)

Ultrapix
23rd March 2006, 00:42
Anyway, im still gonna ride my Scooter for a few weeks while i look at getting the tank repainted and the other minor niggles. If anyone knows a cheap place in Aucks that can do the tank let me know!!

Cheers
Jono.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I had one of these as my first bike. It's funny; I remember thinking how awesome the idiot lights etc were when I got it home. Looked so.....Battlestar Galactica compared to GN250's and CB250RS's etc.

A guy I worked with said they were great for learning wheelstands on, and he was right. 7000 revs, and just dump the clutch from standstill. They rear up (but not too much) and hold it for a reasonable length. But don't blame me if you fall off.

Mine was crashed into a Volvo, but recovered with a new insurance jobbie fairing and was traded in when I got the estimate for replacing the valve stem seals at about 60,000 k's. So off she went to another bike virgin who I;m sure thrashed her to death. Like you do.

Let us know how you get on over the next few months...blog somewhere?

MudPuppy
23rd September 2006, 07:42
Does anyone have a service, repair and/or owner's manual for an SRX250? I just picked up an '87 and could use a little help. Thanks in advance.

slikchik
24th September 2006, 20:24
Hey
I have just bought my first bike and am learning to ride, anyone know of any good places to go and practise??

SwanTiger
24th September 2006, 21:03
Hey
I have just bought my first bike and am learning to ride, anyone know of any good places to go and practise??
Yep, where abouts in Auckland are you? I know heaps of local roads out West and in the Rodney District along with a few good carparks around Albany and stuff.

Highlander
19th April 2007, 22:07
SO did anyone manage to find a manual for the SRX250 then, or just a combination of manuals like Mr Ixion says?

Ixion
19th April 2007, 22:18
I actually later acquired a PDF copy of the official workshop manual for the SRX250, if anyone needs one. Very nice bikes. I miss Li'l Ratty , such a cheeky cheerful fellow, impossible to ride him without a grin :cry:

Highlander
19th April 2007, 22:23
I pick up a SRX 250 tomorrow night for my wife and (and half her family) to learn on.

Wouldn't mind a copy of the manual if you are prepared to share.

Ixion
19th April 2007, 22:25
Sure. It's on the server at work, PM me an email addy, and I'll email you a copy (it's pretty big, about 9MB I think, jic you're on dialup).

Very nice bike. Give her my congratulations.

Highlander
19th April 2007, 22:28
PM duly sent.

Many thanks.

blitz
22nd April 2007, 21:23
If you still need it ill have a look to see if i can find it.

Is your SRX silver? It could possibly be my old one as i sold it to a guy from those ways. It was for his daughter.

Ixion
22nd April 2007, 21:25
Ackk. I forgot. I knew I would.Memory like a seive. I'll send it 2moro.

Highlander
29th April 2007, 20:35
If you still need it ill have a look to see if i can find it.

Is your SRX silver? It could possibly be my old one as i sold it to a guy from those ways. It was for his daughter.

Yes it is silver and I got the impression he had bought it for his daughter, could well be your old one. Did you thrash the snot out of it?

Ackk. I forgot. I knew I would.Memory like a seive. I'll send it 2moro.

Got it thanks.

blitz
1st May 2007, 22:10
Yeah i think theres a pic in the original post i made.

Think i brought her for $1200, musta sold it around that price or less.

Nope it was my first bike so i treated her well. Didnt have it too long actually. Sold it with the intention of getting something a bit newer. Still havnt got round to it.

How are you finding it? Vibrates a bit huh? Still a great bike to learn on.

I think the guy you brought it off was quite onto it about bikes so would of tuned her up and made sure it was running all good for his daughter.

ejc1
23rd July 2007, 15:41
I actually later acquired a PDF copy of the official workshop manual for the SRX250, if anyone needs one.

Any chance I could get a copy of the manual? I'm having some problems with my 250 srx not wanting to idle (among other things).

If you could PM me then I'll supply my email - thanks a bajillion in advance!

Highlander
30th July 2007, 14:09
Any chance I could get a copy of the manual? I'm having some problems with my 250 srx not wanting to idle (among other things).

If you could PM me then I'll supply my email - thanks a bajillion in advance!

PM sent.
Ours idles ok, but takes a bit (12-14 pushes of the starter) to get it going.
Fires well just doesn't seem to want to catch and hold.

Makes no difference if the choke is on or off. Have adjusted the idle from too low to too high (when running) and made no difference to starting.

Have replaced the plug, and cleaned out the carb. Compression seems good (using the thumb over the hole test method).

Any other suggestions?

nerv2112
9th August 2007, 11:12
I actually later acquired a PDF copy of the official workshop manual for the SRX250, if anyone needs one. Very nice bikes. I miss Li'l Ratty , such a cheeky cheerful fellow, impossible to ride him without a grin :cry:

Send it my way if ya could. Thanks! :love:

Zuki Bandit
14th August 2007, 20:08
Grouse little bike dude, good on ya!!!

anarxias
19th November 2008, 09:49
Hi mates
is it possible that someone sends me a copy of the manual at my mail?
thank you

Ixion
19th November 2008, 10:24
If you PM me an email address that can trake a BIG file (not hotmail) I can send it to you. Will take a couple of days

Fatt Max
19th November 2008, 20:53
Good on ya mate, well done

shweppsie
22nd December 2008, 09:58
I am also after the manual for the SRX 250 please. I want to work on the bike with my dad over Christmas and a manual would really help.

2valve
9th November 2016, 10:09
Hi to all.Thought i'd say hello. I'm aware that this is an old post but wonder if you all still have the SRX's sitting in the sheds , as iv'e just bought one myself. Curious about the road test Blitz (scooter boy) mentioned, anyone shed some light on what the name and details of the magazine is ?.