PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good beginners bike???

NZHS102H
11th March 2006, 18:20
Hey,

Am keen to get into off-roading and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good beginners bike to get going with. Was probably looking at either a 125 or 150cc...

The only constraint is price at this stage, don't really want to spend any more than $2500.

Hyosung bikes - are they any good? Particulary interested in the XRX125 - have seen a few of these used for around the $2000 mark. Skyteam? I know you can pick up the 150cc (STF150) new for $2000. Whats the build quality like on these - can you get parts for them?

Othewised any other suggestions would be welcomed. Don't mind getting a used bike, but would probably want something like a Honda, Suzuki etc - something thats solid mechaically.

All suggestions are welcome. :D

Cheers
James

Zed
11th March 2006, 18:27
All suggestions are welcome. :D

Cheers
JamesCan't help you with the specifics cos i know little about off-road bikes, but my advice to you would be to do two things 1) Get it checked out thoroughly & 2) Test ride it.

Welcome to KB, I hope you get on two wheels real soon!

stify
11th March 2006, 18:33
ditto with don't much bout off road machines.welcome to the nut house

Edbear
11th March 2006, 19:19
My company may be able to help. PM me and I'll give you the details. WE have a good 150cc trail bike with full back up and warranty from a major NZ company.

Sketchy_Racer
11th March 2006, 22:29
the skyteam bikes are Ok...

They are chinese so you have to expect the quality to be down on the jap bikes.

IMO the best learners bike (second hand) is a XR200. So simple.... get thrashed for years.. just keep going. But because they are getting older, they are starting to be riddled with little probs like the auto decompression ETC.

I would get the skyteam bike though. Just check every single bolt after each long ride..... and make sure you catch the bits that fall off :Pokey: :bleh:

Wellyman
11th March 2006, 22:36
the skyteam bikes are Ok...

They are chinese so you have to expect the quality to be down on the jap bikes.

IMO the best learners bike (second hand) is a XR200. So simple.... get thrashed for years.. just keep going. But because they are getting older, they are starting to be riddled with little probs like the auto decompression ETC.

I would get the skyteam bike though. Just check every single bolt after each long ride..... and make sure you catch the bits that fall off :Pokey: :bleh:

I agree about the chinese bikes that the quality is crap compared to the jappers. I also would reccomend and old XR or maybe KDX would be an awsome easy to ride eaisy to maintain bike to have as your first dirt machine

Henk
12th March 2006, 08:11
I'd look for a KDX or XR that you can afford. The chinese bikes are OK for chasing around paddocks but the weight and suspension will start to be a problem if you take on anything more challenging than that. If you do go down that road be aware that the resale value will likely be close to zero, also look into the parts back up. I know of one importer that keeps whole bikes as parts donors as it can be difficult if not impossible to source bits when the bikes age a bit most don't do this. Also be prepared to do all your own work as a lot of bike shops won't touch them as they don't want to be held liable under the consumer gaurantees act for repairs that don't last due to the nature of the bikes as opposed to their workmanship. I've told people to buy chineese kids bikes in the past on the theory that they are enough to give the little ones a taster and if they wear out you can throw them away without having lost too much. I'm not sure that I would be willing to go down the disposable bike route at 2 grand however and that is how you are going to have to look at it.

umka
12th March 2006, 08:16
just get a 125 motocross bike. they look way cooler that any of the other non mx bikes and will be fine to learn on and be able to last u longer than a chinese 4t. simple as to do maintanence on and u can ride mx coz of the good supension( chicks dig guys in mx gear)

Coyote
12th March 2006, 08:36
I learnt to ride on a 1974 Honda TL125 and a 2003 Honda CRF150 (brand new model at the time, we got the first one in the Wellington, maybe the country). The TL was old and slow but I learn't the very basics on it at least. The CRF was a brilliant learners bike. It was quick but had a linear powerband so a beginner could handle it easy, it was very stable, it could jump fairly well but it was a bit heavy for it and it handled well. We traded it in for $3000 2 years ago in good condition, so you might be able to find a cheap one privately. My KX80, now that was a different story...

How old and tall/big are you anyway? It's hard to say what bike would be ideal for you

NZHS102H
12th March 2006, 13:45
Cheers for all that info guys!

Yeah the Skyteam's sound alright but yeah, don't know how good they will hold up when you start 2 do some serious riding!

Would probably be better off going with a used XR125/XR150. What about Hyosung? I was looking at the XRX125 - what is this bike like?

alarumba - I am 6ft'1, 85kg. I have been for a ride on my friend's 150cc bike and it got around fine with me and him on it! Probably a 150cc I would think??

umka - when you say a motocross 125, what exactly do you mean by this? (ie design, engine, model to look out for etc)

James

kiwifruit
12th March 2006, 14:08
those chinese bikes would be ok,
i would suggest something like these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=49563069&key=149254
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=50014466&key=149254
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=49212885&key=149254

the xr 100 would be a breeze to get learn on and you would be chucking it round pretty quickly.
the xr200 would also be a breeze to learn on, bit heaver and bit more poke. Bullet proof bikes, would keep you happy for a good time.
The kdx would be light and sharper feeling. Different sort of power being a 2stroke, bit peakier and next to no engine breaking (and u gota rebuild them from time to time)

I think you are looking at the right sort of bike to learn on - small dirt.
Much better than jumping straight onto a road bike
What ever you go 4, have fun! and keep us posted

Wellyman
12th March 2006, 16:16
just get a 125 motocross bike. they look way cooler that any of the other non mx bikes and will be fine to learn on and be able to last u longer than a chinese 4t. simple as to do maintanence on and u can ride mx coz of the good supension( chicks dig guys in mx gear)

yeah bro start on a 125 MX twist the throttle and straight into fucken hospital:slap:! people learning to ride should start on something a bit easier and not a 125 mx'er. We want them to love riding, not hating it while sitting in a hospital bed.
WM

cheese
12th March 2006, 20:26
at that height and weight get a 200 at least! Or buy my RM250!!! That would be a fun way to learn at least....

umka
12th March 2006, 21:12
wellyman just because u ride a second rate 4t doesnt mean that other people cant ride a better bike. u dont want to buy somthing that u are going out grow when u are on a tight buget. think about it:oi-grr: it doesnt matter what bike u ride there is always a risk off ending up in hospital but that is why we ride for the rush. a good 2t (cr,kx,rm,yz) would be good to learn on yet can be raced and is easy to maintain.

in the end it is up to the person who is spending the money.

Henk
12th March 2006, 21:35
At your height and weight you don't want an 125 / 150 4 stroke. You'll be getting tangled in the handle bars, and as soon as you have figured out how to get from point A to point B it will be holding you back. As for the XRX, they are a good cheap bike for use on 10 acre blocks but thats about where it stops. Get an XR200 or preferably a KDX

kro
13th March 2006, 05:37
Personally I'd steer you toward an XR200, or a similar CC rated Japanese bike in the four stroke range. An older DR200, or that type of thing.

Wellyman
13th March 2006, 09:12
wellyman just because u ride a second rate 4t doesnt mean that other people cant ride a better bike. u dont want to buy somthing that u are going out grow when u are on a tight buget. think about it:oi-grr: it doesnt matter what bike u ride there is always a risk off ending up in hospital but that is why we ride for the rush. a good 2t (cr,kx,rm,yz) would be good to learn on yet can be raced and is easy to maintain.

in the end it is up to the person who is spending the money.

Piss of my bike isn't second rate. An XR or DR or likewise is a better invesment for a starter. starting on a 125 two stroke MX'er isn't the greatest way to start riding, as it is a handfull on the trails and too much work for a beginner.

Umka just reccomending you use you brain before you post that kind of answer and abuse other peoples bike, the only reason I ride a CRF230 is because I won it in 2003, it is an awsome bike, and yes I have 1 sponsor.

WM

umka
13th March 2006, 10:11
and thats good for u:crybaby: but a 125mx bike is not hard to learn on and will last, as it is a race bike and difficult to outgrow. he should get a xr250+ (or similar) or a 125mx bike or kdx/wr type bike it is all up to personal preferance and budget

cheese
13th March 2006, 11:16
Take a chill pill guys!

A 125mx'r probably wouldn't be a great start, they aren't so forgiving with the clutch and very high maintance. A 4 stroke like a XR250 are great and so easy to ride, and you just ride it, clean it and put it away.

Firefight
13th March 2006, 11:25
If you have no off road bike time, start on a 4 stroke, Dans right heaps of guys learning on 2 stroke come unstuck, but 150 XR200/ XR250 are a good start even DR 200, main thing stay away from this cheap crap thats flooding the market, seen heaps of sad stories with it.

F/F

crazyxr250rider
13th March 2006, 15:47
Piss of my bike isn't second rate. An XR or DR or likewise is a better invesment for a starter. starting on a 125 two stroke MX'er isn't the greatest way to start riding, as it is a handfull on the trails and too much work for a beginner.

Umka just reccomending you use you brain before you post that kind of answer and abuse other peoples bike, the only reason I ride a CRF230 is because I won it in 2003, it is an awsome bike, and yes I have 1 sponsor.

WM230's are guttless GET OVER IT!!!:nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya:take you 15hp somewhere else please...

crazyxr250rider
13th March 2006, 16:00
in fact a 230 would make a pretty good beginners bike, lower seat, less power, better looks and heaps of showy stuff so you look the part, not the xr250 though it's the complete opposite.....

cheese
13th March 2006, 17:55
gee it's teh CRF 230 haters club!

NZHS102H
13th March 2006, 18:51
OK sounds like either an XR or KDX bike then.

Have seen quite a few XR200's on Trademe and the seem most of the time to be in my price range.

Is there anything to look out for - esp when going through a private sale and not a dealer?

James

Motu
13th March 2006, 19:06
For a start,that's an XR250 in your picture.I'd go for an XR200 as a learner bike,that's what all the young guys learned on in the 80s and 90s...so these are the guys in their late 20s and 30s now.It'll teach all you need to know,and if you get good enough you can give the average guys a fright on their KDX200s by pushing it to it's limits.But for your size I'd maybe be looking at a 250,disc brakes if possible and better suspn than the 200.Stay away from the 2 strokes as a learner,unless it's a DT175 - the 125 MX bikes have to be kept on the powerband and are difficult to ride slow,moving up to a 250 2 stroke is something even experianced riders find hard to cope with,they have some serious hard hitting power.

Wellyman
13th March 2006, 20:26
230's are guttless GET OVER IT!!!:nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya:take you 15hp somewhere else please...

They ain't gutless if you ride them full throttle like I do :crazy:.
i'm going to start an XR haters club!

XR's are shit ugly, pussy soft seat,and lardy for lazy riders who ride fast on a lazy boy chair! :nya:
WM

Motu
13th March 2006, 20:54
You must be thinking of the blue seat model...that was a really bad design flaw - but black or red seat kick arse!

SwanTiger
13th March 2006, 21:05
HYOSUNG. Great bikes.

I think I can give 90% of Hyosung owners the learn.

umka
13th March 2006, 21:38
yes an xr or kdx would be the best bet. now go out get one, get good and have heaps of fun on it.

cheese
14th March 2006, 07:56
HYOSUNG. Great bikes.

Huh is that in Engrish? www.engrish.com :laugh:

anyway one like this would see you right...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-50262417.htm

NZHS102H
14th March 2006, 16:46
Yep...it gonna be either a XR200 or XR250 I think for me now!

Just one last question - If something is gonna go wrong on these bikes, what usually is it?

Anything in particular to look for in terms of faults when looking at a used bike?

James

Maha
14th March 2006, 16:56
HYOSUNG. Great bikes.

Friend of ours saw yours yesterday and said he could give you ' THE LEARN '
He's made a few modifications and has a real nice sounding can on it...
You may have seen him before, he has a mass of red hair and a black eye..:cool:

crazyxr250rider
14th March 2006, 18:58
They ain't gutless if you ride them full throttle like I do :crazy:.
i'm going to start an XR haters club!

XR's are shit ugly, pussy soft seat,and lardy for lazy riders who ride fast on a lazy boy chair! :nya:
WM
Quote ''I'm going to start an XR haters club". Too late cowpoos already has.
Quote '', pussy soft seat''.Thats why I got a ballards seat for it:yes: .
Quote ''XR's are shit ugly''.Whats that got to do with whether I could piss all over your 230 with one...In fact I complemented the CRF by saying its got all the the fancy shrouds and stuff:zzzz: ...

Motu
14th March 2006, 22:15
Look for camchain wear on XRs,all models.They wear cams and rockers too,but you need to pull the cambox to check that.Just general condition,a beat up bike has been abused...be sure the rear shock is good,could be more than the bikes worth to repair.

crazyxr250rider
15th March 2006, 16:53
And kick starters if you've got a heavy foot like me...

Lazy7
15th March 2006, 17:16
something with torque down low. 250cbrrrrrr's and the like are a pain in the ass to ride cause they got no guts till you get to 7k

crazyxr250rider
15th March 2006, 17:29
Sorry this is the off road forum. I bet a CBR250RR would be a pain in the mud.........

chickenfunkstar
15th March 2006, 18:38
Except for the CBR250RRR moto-x spec of course... :sherlock:

DirtMad
15th March 2006, 19:35
hey,
i started on a KDX200 and didnt have too many probs. (first full manual clutch bike i had ever ridden)
I also looked at a few xr200 and xr250`s, but decided on the kdx200 cause i didnt want to grow out of anything too fast ... and its still beyond my abilities :laugh:
the kdx is pretty easy to ride as far as 2 smokes go too (its easy to go slow when youre learning) :confused:

cheese
15th March 2006, 22:55
Best thing about a 2 stroke, fucking easy to work on. A 4 stroke is a cunt.

crazyxr250rider
17th March 2006, 18:47
Except for the CBR250RRR moto-x spec of course... :sherlock: :spudwhat: ??????????????

vfrboy
21st March 2006, 14:44
Having had both an XR (was a 400) and now a '06 KDX, it have to say the kdx is a superior machine. Its a hell of a lot lighter (100kg vs 115), more manuevrable (sp), and is very torquey for a 2 stroke due to KIPS valve while still having good top end with aftermarket pipe. Its lighter on gas than all my mates 4 strokes too. Just soesn't sound as good as a 4 stroke.

Just my 2 cents worth..

crazyxr250rider
24th March 2006, 17:32
Best thing about a 2 stroke, fucking easy to work on. A 4 stroke is a cunt.Ever pulled apart a side valve engine:no:mechanics
worst enemy if it's a block.